The Mike Thread

Yeah, but I still can’t imagine if he had decided to be Buzz Lightyear…that thought disturbs me… :open_mouth:

:laughing: Same here. I just don’t see it. I don’t see it at all

I love Mike. What don’t people like about him? I’ve never really noticed anti-Mikeness around the boards, but that’s just me. He’s one of my favorite Pixar characters of all time, actually. He’s hilarious!

Well, it’s mostly Randall fanatics who dislike him at all. Once again, I managed to totally over react.

I don’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings, but for me, Randall’s okay. But I don’t really go crazy over him. I just never could like villains… that’s just me though :smiley:

Yeah, I don’t “like” or support villains. Ever. Except for Dr. Horrible <3

Syndrome was the closest I ever came to supporting a baddie, and he ruined his chances, the d****e bag…

I actually don’t mind Syndrome either. He’s better than Randall, for me. He’s kinda cool in his own way, and if he had used his brain power for good instead of evil, he would’ve been a-okay :smiley:

Well, Mr. I had faults, too, no matter how much I don’t care. :-D)

Any hero should have faults. That is what makes the journey so great!

^Exactly! :smiley: And it makes them far more believable as characters, too.

Exactly!! That’s why I don’t like the original Superman. If the character is immortal and perfect, where’d the fun go?

BTW, that is on topic as it also applies to Mike.

Why would someone hate Mike?

OK, I know I’m probably the least-welcome person in this thread, and I won’t even mention You-Know-Who, but I can tell you WHY I dislike Mike, and anyone like him, since the question WAS asked.

1. He is a habitual liar. He can and often does make up not just “little white lies”, but big honkin’ bald-faced zingers without so much as batting his eye. Lying comes as natural to Mike as breathing. He should have had a career in politics, seriously. How do you know when to trust someone like that? Thing is, you DON’T. We can laugh at his lines like the one about Sulley’s “sister’s cousin’s daughter” or “Take An Obscure Relative to Work Day”, but just like the little boy who cried “WOLF”, at some point, any smart person is going to realize they are being “had” and question the validity of every word that comes out of his mouth. After awhile, I wouldn’t trust his word if he yelled “FIRE” and I saw smoke.

2. He is a coward, or worse yet, what my students call a “punk”, which means he acts all big and tough when his big, strong buddy is around, but in Sulley’s absence, his cowardice shows clear as day. I have never exactly had a soft spot for cowards, especially guys who are chicken.

3. He’s a control freak. He orders Sulley around like a drill sergeant, even to the point of telling him when he can and cannot speak(ex: "Sulley, that’s ENOUGH!). Coaching is one thing, ordering someone around is something totally different. Mike basically has a Napoleonic complex to compensate for his size.

4. Mike only thinks HIS jokes are funny. He ridicules anyone else who tries to make a joke, including his best friend.

5. He’s a “user”, and by that I mean that he totally takes advantage of someone else who is bigger, stronger, and more talented than he is and rides that person’s proverbial coattails to glory. He was using Sulley’s abilities to stoke his own ego, which is large enough to eclipse the sun.

6. He is an absolute narcissist; his comment like, “I’m so romantical(which is not even a real word)I should date myself” is funny in that context, but he really does think that highly of himself. I’ve had the misfortune of “hooking up” with a couple of guys who thought that way, that they were basically Creation’s gift to…everything and everyone, and believe me, someone like that does NOT make for good company!

Mike CAN be funny, but if I actually had to spend more than ten minutes in his presence, there would be some problems, to put it mildly. He embodies pretty much everything I, as an adult female, would dislike in a guy. If a guy will lie like that to your face, he’ll cheat. He will put himself above you, every single time. He will be manipulative. If a guy is that big a coward, he’ll leave you to take up for yourself in the face of a threat and save his own hide. Mike is the kind of guy who will tell you who you can and cannot be friends with; if they make HIM look good, they’re OK, but heaven forbid that you spend what he would consider too much time with THEM instead of him. I can easily picture him, down the road, cutting off Celia Mae’s conversation to someone else just like he does more than once with Sulley, although Celia Mae doesn’t seem like the sort who would put up with that for very long. Hopefully she can straighten him out, but it’s been my experience that guys like Mike are a lost cause. They think the universe revolves around THEM, and there’s little anyone can do to change that. If you can’t make them look good, they have no place for you. I can deal with Sulley’s personality; in fact, were it not for that ONE very, very wrong thing that he did, I could totally hang out with the big furry guy. I sorta even feel sorry for him, having to be ordered around by someone who barely comes up to his knees and just taking it, day in and day out. Sulley seems more like a “good ole’ boy”, while Mike is the epitome of the city slicker who thinks he’s better than everyone else. His behavior isn’t an example of “Mike under a lot of pressure”, but “everyday Mike”, so it can’t be blamed on extenuating circumstances. It’s just HIM. Just try to image Mike’s traits in a real person, someone you know, and think of it that way.

pitbulllady

You make some good points pitbulllady, although to be fair for most of the film he HAD to lie so that he, Sully and Boo could avoid capture/ exile.

One of the reasons I like Mike is that he becomes a little more loyal towards the end of the film. When he returns to the Monster World he goes to Sully rather than run away. He starts to take a bit more responsibility for Boo too- he doesn’t try to get rid of her any more, but to return her to her home. Even though he still has some negative qualities at the end of the film, he does become a bit of a better person. Those negative qualities are funny, too :smiley:

prods head Honestly, I have a problem with that one bit…
While I agree that him coming back is a big plus to him…HOW he did it half amazes me. For once, Abomidable noted that it would take days or so to reach the village…and Sullivan got there mostly because of a sled he constructed from the bits in the cave…
Now one could say Wazowski used his natural round body to virtually “snowball” his way down but…ignoring that…I just can’t see how he managed to get all the way there, find a still open door, find his way to the underground room that he didn’t know how to get to, and do it while carrying two snowballs…
I’m just saying, I’m just…bewildered 0_0

Nexas- Funnily enough I was thinking the exact same thing after typing that! I tried to recall the scene and it occured to me that he just kind of shows up. There’s no explanation or anything of how he found his way back to a place he didn’t know the location of. The snow didn’t melt, which is even more bewildering because that implies that he was quick and didn’t need to climb around the door room…

Gah!

…Well, maybe there’s hope he’ll be nicer and more likeable in the sequel, especially if some years had passed. :smiley:

I have a knack for that heh heh.
But yeah, that’s just a curious wonder for me. I think the snowball thing is plausible, but still, stretch.

Actually something else I should add about a sequel…
If Wazowski IS serious about a relationship with Celia…he’s gonna have to shape up. I mean given the runaround she gave her in the first film (apparently Celia hurt her neck and Wazowski didn’t check up on her? Ok yeah sure…they had Boo to tend to at the time…but think of it from Celia’s perspective (who, like Randall for awhile, knew NOTHING about what was going on with them and Boo).
Having a boyfriend disappear for awhile and not explain anything, or lie, and the woman in the relationship is gonna start poking. Celia probably would never think of Wazowski cheating on her, but still…given the incident with Boo and keeping her out of the loop…if he did something similiar, she’s not going to let him go without asking questions.

rubs neck I do wonder though…if he and Sullivan ever told her about what they did…shrugs

Funnily enough, when I was reading this thread I forgot about the sequel. The return of Mike! I can’t wait :smiley:

pitbulllady does make some good points. I have to agree with some. When I picture someone I know having Mike’s personality, I kinda get put off. But that’s considering all of the negative attributes of him. When you realize the change Mike went through, how loyal he became at the end of the movie, you have to love him. My heart literally swells when I think of how he put Boo’s door together, piece by piece. All for Sulley. He’s a good guy at heart, but kind of rough around the edges.

I know what you’re saying about Celia, also. But the timing in MI was just horrible for both Mike and Celia. If I’m remembering correctly, when Harryhauson’s is being overrun with CDA agents, Mike sees Celia being taken away, and calls after her. He really does care about her, and can’t stand to see her being pushed around, but Sulley pulls him away.

Mike has to lie throughout the film. Without him, Sulley and Mike would’ve been exiled sooner. Who knows what would’ve happened to Boo. His lies were essential, in my opinion. And the funny way in which he lies is what makes them alright. Any non-Pixar fanatic audience probably isn’t thinking this into the movie, and just laugh at the jokes as they come. That’s what makes Mike so lovable.

That door thing surprised me too…Wazowski would have had to sneak all those pieces out of the shredder…not to mention the door knob. He would have had to do it under the C.D.A.'s nose of course (as the shredded it themselves on order. And like many people, would doubt someone would go the lengths of repairing it all).

While that’s true, at the time Wazowski didn’t care a flip about Boo nor was he in plausible trouble at the time, so his feelings for Celia were true-blue. Later, however…

“Sulley and Mike would’ve been exiled sooner”…wonder what you meant by that…

I meant they would’ve been caught with Boo sooner without lies. Sorry if that wasn’t clear :smiley: