Thoughts so far on 2012 animated movies?

Since we’re about half-way through the year, I thought that this would be an appropriate time to start this. I think this has been a great year for animation and a step-up from a disappointing 2011.

^Agreed, wholeheartedly! One apiece from Ghibli and Aardman, a non-sequel apiece from Illumination and Pixar, and (on the horizon) two stop-motion films, a non-sequel apiece from Sony, Disney, and DreamWorks, plus a hybrid hand-drawn short from Disney.

Fewer sequels + more stop-motion and hand-drawn = Great Year For Animation

[Note: From the U.S. point of view, anyway…understanding that outside the States, Arrietty was released last year, making for more hand-drawn animation in 2011]

They have been great so far :slight_smile:

I’ve been more impressed than I expected! I especially liked Wreck It Ralph, Brave, and The Lorax.

So far I’ve seen Brave and Wreck-It Ralph. Any suggestions on another one that would be worth checking out? :slight_smile:

Lorax! It’s not the greatest movie ever, but I enjoyed it.

Well, i super liked Brave, Frankenweenie, Arriety, and Hotel Transylvania. I have not seen Wreck-It Ralph. :frowning:

Well, the Blu-Ray comes out this Tuesday so there’s that.

And Pixar Planet Movie Night! If you can make it.

My ranking of the 2012 animated films I’ve seen

1. Wreck it Ralph
  2. Brave
  3. Pirates!
  4. Rise of the Guardians
  5. The Lorax
  6. Hotel Transylvania
  7. ParaNorman

Still need to see Madagascar 3, Frankenweenie, and the newest Ice Age

I really like Pirates!, Brave, and Paranorman. I thought Wreck-it-Ralph was okayish, it had a few funny moments. I haven’t seen Frankenweenie or Rise of the Guardians yet. I’m not really bothered about Ice Age or The Lorax, although I am curious about Madagascar 3. I found the first 2 kind of mediocre apart from a couple of funny bits (the penguins mostly) but I’ve heard that this one is better.

I’m hoping to get Frankenweenie next time I make a trip to the rental store.

Yeah, I’ve heard that too. I don’t even like the first Madagascar, but everyone raving about the third has made me very interested.

My sister has been raving about this movie. And she’s not a big fan of animation, but she saw it while babysitting and loved it. So I’ll have to make a trip to the redbox.

I’ve been thinking about that movie a lot lately for some reason. I really, really badly just want to buy the DVD but I also want Ralph, and Brave, and ParaNorman. :laughing:

I really liked the movie, although some of it was a little too grim for me. I hope you get to see it!

I love me some Tim Burton. But, I agree. At parts of Frankenweenie, it just went too far. I still like it though. And Madagascar 3 was so sweet! One of the few heart warming Dream Works movies.

Yeah, I especially found it a little too far on the gruesome side [spoil]when a stake had to get driven through Weird Girl’s cat. I mean… :open_mouth:[/spoil] But I do like it otherwise.

I kind of want to see Madagascar 3, some people either say it was atrocious or surprisingly really good…

Yes, that part was pushing it. But I guess Tim just likes to push things. Like sequels and remakes.

Anyway, Madagascar 3 is funny, but so sweet. I recommend it.

I want to see the newest Madagascar. Why? The trailer looked HORRIBLE. But It’s getting great reviews from fellow animation enthusiasts? Why? How? I want to see what all this fuss is about

Apparently the villain in Madagascar 3 is hilarious. She was barely in any of the adverts I saw, so maybe the film is better than it looks.

She is very funny! However, it’s the circus animals that really make it a special movie.