Thy Brave Reviews

Saw it on Friday at a packed 11pm show, with some kids too, perhaps a majority of young ladies. Mid-evening shows were sold out! This continued on Saturday as it seems to be moving to a $65M+ weekend, a bit better than Wall-E. It’s TM score at this hour has settled down to 74%, on par with Cars. If this was Pixar’s ‘B’ team being given its chance, there is your reason.

The short. La Luna. It was beautiful (edited from the first time I saw it, where I found it “good”), not One Man Band or Presto quality, but very satisfying and everyone seemed to enjoy it. I feel that it’s the best short since Presto and nearly matches its quality. People clapped and talked about it on the way out of the theater.

Crowd report. Expectations were high, despite reviews in the two major area papers and USA Today that the story wasn’t quite up to snuff with Pixar standards, 3 stars out of 4, etc… These papers were all saying ‘go see it anyways’. The previews, as mentioned here, were not overwhelming, and yes, somewhat cheesy. But as has always been the case with Pixar, they take care not to really spoil the movie experience by revealing everything, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Still, Up’s was breathtaking and Cars2 preview was bland, this was in between. So the 11pm show was nearly sold out too. People were getting and laughing at more jokes than I was, and this was happening frequently. Men were laughing too. They walked out at 1 am with the attitude that they were going to tell their friends positive things and I didn’t see any yawning. Some people stayed to the end to watch thru the credits, but only a few. There was a dedication to Steve Jobs. No one yelled or clapped in appreciation when the main Direction/Production scrolled, as does often happen because these were not names they had ever heard of, and Exec Prod credits to Lassiter et al didn’t quite cut it. There were some Pixar fans there, but the town I saw it in was in a somewhat bland area of the Silicon Valley, and not in the area where I live, which is chock full of Dreamworks North employees. There usually are real solid Pixar fans that clap en masse, and they weren’t at this location.

Crowd Report Part II. On the 2nd Saturday the theater was half full. There was a lot of group laughing at the same gags. Fifty people stayed to the very end of credits since I was viewing in my local theater, I would imagine that 100 had been there the week before, since it’s Apple territory.

Review. The trade papers and local rags got it right, about the story not being Pixar’s usual, so a ‘B to B+’. And yes, animation quality, obviously rated an ‘A’. And yes, characterization quality ‘A’. And yes, the environment and the research that went into the canvass, an ‘A’. The music meshes very nicely with the drama. What Draik said earlier, the [spoil]shadow[/spoil] gags were perhaps the funniest and most clever of devices. There were a lot of violent smack scenes (ala Warner Bros.) to satisfy the males and this was ok, but not like Pixar, altho they are famous for their chase scenes and there are chase scenes galore, much of the violence was gratuitous. As someone mentioned, there could have been more haunting moments, with the castles and the [spoil]witch, who was evil ‘neutral’, meaning she wasn’t ‘bad’[/spoil], and I liked her character and the [spoil]answering machine[/spoil] cauldron. This is a personal story, like in Up, don’t expect the world, Scotland or the kingdom to be saved. Other reviewers here dumped on the movie’s pace, and that wasn’t a problem for me. There was a point halfway thru where I said to myself “They haven’t dropped the ball yet with the story, even part of the way”. But the ending wasn’t as satisfying as I would like. There aren’t two full, enmeshed stories here as in Nemo, but there is a back story (a fairy tale within a fairy tale) that enmeshes itself into the conclusion. Btw, when that [spoil]stone fell on the bad bear[/spoil] it was annoyingly anticipated, in several parts and for like several minutes. It fell sorta flat, literally and figuratively. The queen said that she had been [spoil]changed by the ordeal, and the princess said she was too and now loved her mother and cried, but she doesn’t really backpedal and let us know what about her mother she is now ready to accept. Edit: on 2nd viewing, Merida and her mother agreed to listen to each other. “You can change your Fate by listening to your heart” seems to have been the message.[/spoil]

HowToTrainYourDragon vs. Brave. We know that the DW movie is a good bit better, but let me tell you where Pixar exceeded their competition: music, animation quality, characterization and character animation. Kids didn’t grow into idiotic adults with annoying accents in Pixar’s movie. But DW showed that all kids talked like American kids and were smart. When you grew older you got stupid. That’s an 80’s sitcom idea and it’s annoying and very unoriginal. Also in HTTYD, the gargantuan dragon at the end was just too big, while Pixar settled for a non-magical creature, a bear, lacking stratospheric dimensions.

Men in Brave. The older men were kinda dumb, like the ones in HTTYD, but the younger men, when given the chance to actually speak, [spoil]sided with Merida[/spoil], which was a nice touch. I mean it was a movie directed for women to offset criticism about previous Pixar films and they made sure that all men weren’t made out to be dunderheads.

The toilet jokes. Well, one comes straight from Braveheart(and after you see Brave you might bet they would have liked this other title if it weren’t already taken). Some of the nakedness followed the story and was inevitable. There fortunately weren’t any fart or poop jokes, be glad of that! Potty jokes are cheap, easy to make, other funny jokes take time, especially to sew into the story. TS3 had two potty jokes and they were gratefully subliminal.

I was disappointed that the writers didn’t take the opportunity to show that the feminine skills the princess’s mother taught her [spoil]could be useful in resolving the main conflict[/spoil], instead of being an entirely unwanted waste of time. There wasn’t any emphasis on [spoil]sewing[/spoil], for instance. I don’t even remember the princess doing that amongst all her swashbuckling bravado! They should have shown it instead of hiding it like some boring female task you don’t want to see. I’ma guy and I can and do sew, and even bought a sewing machine, and you better not try to mess with me. And maybe I’m dense but I just didn’t get the final resolution of the conflict! You know, the [spoil]Fate[/spoil] stuff, I hope to watch it again. Edit: after second time around I seem to have gotten it, but it just didn’t stick out much and failed to impress me much. This is a well tread Western style philosophy of life, perhaps it will appear novel in the Orient.

Rating. 2.75-3 out of 4 stars. Since it seems impossible to avoid comparing to other Pixar films, I would rate this movie a tad less then A Bug’s Life, but since I seem to like this (Bug’s) movie more than most people at this forum do, most of you will like Brave better. Bug’s usually rates at the lower end of Pixar movies, somewhere near Cars.

You might want to stay till the very end of the credits. The movie isn’t quite really over till then…

I’m going to give this an A+. It feels like a different film from Pixar but it’s one that succeeds. It tows the fine line of being an entertaining crowd-pleasing romp to a thoughtful, hearfelt experience. I should have a full in-depth review on my blog soon. :slight_smile:

A+ I would like to read your review.

Overall I really enjoyed the movie. I thought the story was great, the music was great. Everything was great. I wrote a full review on my site:

[url]http://completelyoverrated.com/2012/06/24/review-brave/[/url]

I’m also going to record a podcast discussing the movie later tonight if anybody is interested in hearing that.

Sorry for the thread:

Here’s my review, though. Just for the fun of it.

[url]- YouTube

We just recorded a PG-13ish (I accidentally said a curse word that starts with “A” and is synonymous with your rear end) podcast talking about Brave!

completelyoverrated.com/2012/06/ … -yer-eyes/

It’s very odd, but ever since I first heard about ‘Brave,’ I’d been rather indifferent to it. I was getting a vibe from alot of people saying that this was Pixar’s return to form (well, to many, them getting away from doing stuff that had talking cars), but I just kept tempering my enthusiasm. This was mainly out of my hope that by keeping my enthusiasm at a low level, I left the film wide open to energize and elevate me with its story and visuals.

So, being a major Pixar fan among my family and friends, I know alot of them have been waiting for my opinion. Well, the best I can say is, I liked ‘Brave,’ but I didn’t love it.

Visually, I really enjoyed the film.It’s probably one of the first times since “A Bug’s Life” that we’ve really been in such a naturalistic environment (though not at a miniscule level).

And like many, I was very impressed by the work done on Merida’s hair. I couldn’t help but think back to the problems that plagued Pixar in almost a decade ago with Sully’s fur, and then Violet’s long black hair…and here we are doing wild red curles under cloaks and such.

I guess storywise, the balance just wasn’t there (I think this was one of the same issues I had with ‘Cars 2’). There were some decent dramatic moments within ‘Brave,’ but it felt like they relied a little too much on comedy at times. Plus, the panicky servant-woman of the family became little more than a one-trick pony much of the time.

I don’t mean for the story to be really really dark, but there just never came a moment where I really got hit emotionally. Then again, it could be my world-view. I really got involved in the story of ‘Ratatouille,’ mainly out of my feelings of isolation regarding animation/entertainment/Disney that makes me a social outsider to much of my family. Maybe with ‘Brave,’ this could be a film that will work best with young people and their elders, who often are unable to find a common ground to stand on.

I did like King Fergus, whose ways reminded me a little of my Dad - most often, it is the Dad’s who make things a bit more fun as the Mom is a little more serious around the kids (this was one thing I could relate to in my family).

Plus, call me crazy, but did Lord Macintosh have features that resembled Steve Jobs? The arched eyebrows, piercing eyes, and nose seemed very similar.

For the msot part I liked Brave. It wasn’t as good as I was hoping but I still liked it a lot. It was an huge improvement compared to Cars 2.

My only complants are the toliot humor, Not as much fight scenes as I hoped for, and a little to much Mother-Dasughter bonding. Other then that I liked it a lot.

I think the animation was amazing, I like how they have Stottish accent’s, the soundtrack is good, and great characters. I liked the witch the most, After [spoil]she gave Merida the spell she wasen’t seen again expect with the head thing. I was hoping she would have a bigger part.[/spoil].

I didn’t really cry at anything. The thing that got me closeting to crying was when [spoil]Merida and her mom are sleeping under the rock and it shows them back in the day when they got along.[/spoil]

I liked the ending fight a lot. It was kinda intense to see [spoil]Fergus almost kill Ellior.[/spoil] [spoil]I knew the horse thing was the ending, it was obious, so it was givin away a long time ago.[/spoil]

I am going to make a video reciew for Youtube that will explain more.

I saw Brave yesterday.
Verdict: B+
Brave is a step outside the Pixar box, being their first fairy tale, and I must say, it is a very good fairy tale. A very good Pixar movie? no. It’s an average movie for Pixar. I liked it, but it was a little dark in some places, and when [spoil]the bear appeared int he broken down tower[/spoil]I nearly jumped out of my seat. I don’t think I want to see it in 3D lol. I quite enjoyed the story, and the fact that Brenda Chapman was also credited as a Director in the credits was a nice touch. I was a little confused though, [spoil]as when the boys ate the cake, they also turned into bears. This doesn’t make logical sense. The tapestry only broke the bond between Merida and her mother, and the witch made the spell with the intent of it being used on Merida’s mother. Why would it work on the boys? That irks me.[/spoil] Other than that, I must say I enjoyed it. The pacing was good, and the score was wonderful. The music was used to create a sense of urgency here, or a sense of calm there. Just how it should be.
tl;dr: A good movie with some small errors is still only average for Pixar.

PS. Edit: I was so into the movie I didn’t find either A113 or the Pizza Planet Truck. I am failure to the name lol.

Did anybody like how [spoil]Merida doesn’t fall in love with any of the lords’ sons?[/spoil] I liked that since it breaks away from a tired cliche done in almost every Disney or Pixar film.

Yes I agree. None of the sons were good enough for her.

I thought it was great! The toilet humour was not to my liking, but most other things were great I thought. It’s an improvement over Cars 2. I think The Witch is a great character and would’ve liked to see more of her. I give it an 8/10.

I think that was a good decision.

Toilet humour? God, I mostly hate toilet humour. It’s just immature and unfunny.

I dislike it intensely too^^.

I will admit that the humor felt a bit childish but at least they used it effectively.

I saw it last night with my parents and grandma. I thought it was good and I definitely look forward to seeing it again (and desire to have my own art book). However, I felt the film was not as strong as the traditional Pixar lineup, imo.

I saw it two days ago I thought it was pretty good. It’s a huge step up from Cars 2 but at the same time I thought it wasn’t as powerful as previous Pixar films. And to be honest, I really got reminded of brother bear when I watched this movie and I thought some of the jokes were a bit childish ([spoil]and that one scene where all the men’s butts were showing reall made me want to facepalm. Come on Pixar, I don’t even think Dreamworks would do something like that to get a laugh!)[/spoil]. But despite my issues with the film I still managed to be entertained by it.

Same.

I don’t think it’s that bad per say but it feels a bit childish.

There were adults in the theater I was in that laughed at that. The kid’s I can understand but not the adults. It’s a butt, you see your own everyday, it’s not funny…

Did anyone notice how I made the title in old english?