Thy Brave Reviews

There are only eleven reviews in so far on RT, and it was at 88% yesterday. 3 rotten ones were added, which brought it down to 64%. So Brave definitely still has a chance to pull this up.

Unlike the last rotten review, these aren’t just “Brave doesn’t meet Pixar’s high standards” but say things like, “A once-complex house of stories has been downgraded to the happy meal alternative: “Brave” is a movie for six-year-olds.” Harsh. Most of them criticize the story more than anything. From what you guys are saying, though, these complaints are exaggerated.

These reviews are becoming a bit annoying now. I’m sure I’m going to love the movie though. Cars may have a 73% on there, but I gave that a B.

These reviews are kinda harsh. Still as another member stated earlier, there are only a few reviews in some it’s score on Rotten Tomatoes should increase (or worse, decrease) when more reviews flow in. But deep down inside, something tells me that some of the critics still have a bad taste in their mouths from cars 2.

Critics should never determine one’s personal opinion of a movie upon seeing it for yourself.

Why not?

Are they only supposed to try really hard once every few years? Shouldn’t they always be aiming for perfection?

True. But it’s alright if Pixar makes mistakes every once in a while. Pixar has set the bar up extremely high and these critics expect A+ films with every film they make. That kind of grinds my gears though.

My full thoughts on the film: pixarplanet.com/blog/upcoming-pi … ve-la-luna

[b]

I respectfully disagree, the reason most of us like Pixar is because of it’s high quality films if the studio continues to produce movies like Cars 2 I will no longer continue to watch them. There’s nothing wrong with having a standard. [/b]

Yes, but it would be clearly impossible for Pixar to keep making constant masterpieces like they did with their first 11 films. I do agree with that statement, but these critics act like the future Pixar films must live up to their earlier efforts or else they won’t like it.

I disagree for one Pixar hires young creative people that can continue the legacy. Secondly if you look at DREAMWORKS Animation they’ve been able to recently release some watchable films such as: How to Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda.

I will say that Dreamworks Animation has been getting better. They’ve been focusing more on the storytelling and deviating away from the pop-culture references and the toilet humor. That was something that made films like the two you mentioned hits for that studio. I’m not saying that Pixar has to make bad films. I was just simply putting that critics seem to be comparing Brave to the other Pixar films, which seems a bit unfair. Brave should be judged upon on its own merits.

I agree with this statement. Some critics spend more time comparing Pixar films to Pixar films than giving legitimate stand-alone critiques to the films. It’s a bit annoying when a critic whines “but why is it not like Ratatouille, WALL-E or Up?”–It’s a different film and it should be judged on its own merits. If the movie is bad, then it’s bad; but, the reason for it being bad is completely unfair when the only reason is the whole “Up is better” argument that critics seem to enjoy using.

I think when people make comparisons within the Pixar franchise, they compare them with how those movies made them feel not necessarily if the plots are similar. Cars 2 had that exact problem because it didn’t connect with people. I have high expectations for Brave because of the mother-daughter relationship.

I think that the main issue I have with the critics is that they aren’t judging the film by itself, but rather comparing it to films like Wall-E and Up, which both have extremely emotional scenes.
Kung fu Panda and most of Dreamworks’ more recent films seem to have had the opposite effect on critics - they judge the movie based on Dreamworks’ complete failures of the early 00’s and give it a more positive review. While they are good films, their RT scores seem a little high.

To highlight my point, Cars 2 has a rating of 38 on Rotten,Tomatoes, while Shrek 4 is at 58.
Cars 2, while being Pixar’s weakest film to date, was miles and miles better than Shrek 4, but critics judged it more harshly than Shrek 4 because of Pixar’s previous films.

I wrote a bit of a rant/article about how Brave is doing. The short of it is that no matter how good the film is, I think people are overreacting with the general Pixar-appocalpyse attitude that’s been going around, but I do hope you’ll read the entire blog entry: I’m pretty happy with it and even if you disagree with me I believe it brings up some good talking points.

adventuresinhypergraphia.blogspo … -lens.html

Shrek 4 actually has a better story line than Cars 2, it’s moral connects with people on some level. Many of us have pondered a different life and it’s not until we loose what we have that we begin to appreciate it. Cars 2 may look nice but it’s a weak plot.

I’m just wondering, which film won the best Best Animated Feature Oscar last year? I wouldn’t expect it to be Cars 2, considering it was Pixar’s worst film to date.

I think Rango won last year. Cars 2 I don’t think was even nominated.

Figures, considering it’s low score.

I’ll be perfectly fine giving this film something lower then an A+. Not everything has to be “Pixar good” as they can do a good effort from time to time.