Too much bias against Dreamworks

This. This is my opinion exactly.

I’m much more open to the ideas of other film studios these days, willing to give them a chance and check out their work. HtTYD really broke down that single-minded view I had of animated films, which was basically “NO one is as good as Pixar and that’s that! I’ll watch it, but I’ll STILL come out of it saying ‘it wasn’t as good as Pixar’ just because it wasn’t made by Pixar!”

I can say shamelessly and honestly that I rank HtTYD right up there with some of Pixar’s best. It has so much of the heart and quality that Pixar itself has set the standard for in animated film, and though it lacks in different areas, it’s altogether a beautiful and touching film that stole a precious piece of my heart. <3

And as a result, I’ve actually really been wanting to check out Shrek and Kung Fu Panda. And given my new train of thought, I have a good feeling I’m actually going to enjoy them both. There’s this great sense of freedom that I’ve discovered since seeing HtTYD, like, there’s so much more out there than Pixar movies, almost… I know that sounds really stupid, but it’s really true. :laughing:

I actually used to really enjoy their older 2D works, like The Prince of Egypt, Chicken Run (though I think that one was simply produced by DW), Joseph: King of Dreams, and Spirit. (I feel like I’m forgetting a few… :laughing:) So I can never really say that I’ve always hated Dreamworks with a passion. It’s only once they started making all these ridiculous sequels, as well as several really crappy movies that are an embarrassment to film, and stretching a franchise way past what it’s worth did I begin to feel disdain for them. (Still not 100% sold on the idea of a sequel to HtTYD, but I guess as long as DeBlois and Sanders direct it again, I can breathe easy until I see it.)

I’m going to say it right here and right now - some Pixar fans can be absolute annoying tunnel-visioned sticklers who won’t open their minds to any other animated film, and that’s recently started to bother me. I kinda used to be that way myself, and I’m so glad I’ve gotten over it.

Thank you, Dreamworks, for finally creating an incredible film that I can say with my whole heart I loved just as much as Ratatouille and WALL•E - a film that broadened my perspective and taught me to appreciate a movie despite the company who may have produced it.

Ahh, that felt really good to get off my chest. :smiley:

little chef

To be honest, I don’t think the problems come when a Pixar fan here is trying to declare their love for one of Dreamworks’ films… You’re a really good case in point, red- you obviously absolutely adore How To Train Your Dragon, have given some very valid reasons for that, and no-one has any cause to doubt you.

The problems arise when a Pixar fan goes along to see the latest Dreamworks film with an open mind, genuinely likes it but perhaps doesn’t rate it as highly as their favourite Pixar movies- not because it was made by Dreamworks, but just because it didn’t quite resonate with them in the same way or for any other number of reasons- and finds themselves being doubted because it comes across as though they don’t like the film simply because Dreamworks made it. I, personally, have really enjoyed some of Dreamworks past films (Antz is one of my favourites of theirs) but I find it difficult when I do go to see a Dreamworks film, especially one that has been highly acclaimed by critics and fans alike, and find myself perhaps just not enjoying it to such an extent but then not being able to express this without feeling as though I’m doing so ‘just because it’s a Dreamworks film’. Even though this isn’t the case.

But there’s never any reason to be nasty about Dreamworks aside from the usual fun-poking. As Badger said, there are some very hard-working people at this studio and they deserve to be recognised.

Well, that was long-winded. :laughing:

I agree with you 100% lizardgirl, cuz sometimes I feel like that myself with movies all my friends rave about. I’ll willingly watch it with them, open-mindedly, and it just doesn’t click with me. They’ll be laughing and crying and getting right into it while I feel nothing. So you have no reason to be ashamed of not particularly caring for any given film just because it seems as though everyone else likes it, but like you said it’s especially hard given the fact that you’re already established as a Pixar fan, and the fact that “omg! You didn’t completely love HtTYD!”, people will automatically put on that old Pixar-fans-hate-Dreamworks label. Hey, I’m a Pixar fan, and I don’t necessarily love every single one of their movies - it doesn’t make me (or anyone else, for that matter) disloyal in the least, everyone just has different things they like and don’t like in a movie.

So yeah, totally see where you’re coming from. I’m really sorry if my last post made it sound like I was bashing you - I wasn’t trying to bash anyone in particular; that view of rabid Pixar fans just seems to be somewhat widespread now that I stand back and look at it. xDD

little chef

I do like(some of) their films. I don’t think they’re all bad, I just don’t like them as well. Note: I have not seen Monsters VS Aliens, Madagascar 2, Spirit, or Kung Fu Panda, so maybe those are the big point I’m missing here, but I’m really over Shrek. Prince of Egypt is one of my favorite non-Disney, non-Pixar cartoons, but the others just outweigh it.

Haha, I guess Hiccup’s line in your current sig really does reflect your ‘paradigm shift’ for Dreamworks, huh? :slight_smile: I agree… people, you should check out ‘The Art of’ books for DW films like KFP, Monsters and Dragons. Some of the artists are just as amazing (if not sometimes better) than the pool at Pixar, but it’s a shame they’re talent is wasted on mediocre scripts and insane production cycles.

You have no idea how many times I’ve heard that line on the forums I visit. It gets old, people. :unamused:

Splutter You mean, you haven’t? :open_mouth: What the… go see 'em now! I also recommend Monsters vs Aliens and Over The Hedge. :wink:

Seconded!

Wow, I never thought of ‘reverse Pixar discrimination’! :open_mouth: I know you feel some sense of personal guilt or confusion when you say you didn’t like a DW film, but have any of your friends actually used the ‘Pixar fangirl’ card against you? I’m just curious, cos’ my friends don’t take sides, so if I ranted on a DW film, they usually agree, and not tease that I said it because I’m a Pixar geek. Come to think of it, I don’t know whether they think I am one in the first place. :laughing:

Okay, Incredigirl, you should really, really, really see the last two. First two… eh, still worth a watch, they’re above average. But Spirit and KFP are like among DW’s best for their respective mediums (2D and 3D). :smiley:

Okay, I basically answered the previous posters’ comments. :stuck_out_tongue: But yes, I’m an ‘Equal Opportunity Moviegoer’. If I like it, I like it. Don’t hate the film, hate the creator. In this case, the bald scarecrow whose last name rhymes with ‘Carlsberg’ is the enemy. :wink:

I would love to give those films a chance, but I have no means to do so. And no one say the library; my mom owes them money, and they don’t carry recent movies.

:laugh:

LOL! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
But yes, I agree with TDIT. I do like some of DW’s films- Shrek1+2, MvA, Over the Hedge, and KFP. Some moments can be hilarious too. I know I come across as a real DW Hater at times, but most of it isn’t serious- the only thing that I detest about it is the “Bald Scarecrow” who despises Lasseter (lovin’ the reference to JK, TDIT!)

Well, losers hate winners. Therefore, Jeff Katz hates our precious John Lasseter.

Totally! LOL! JK sure is a loser- just as much as John is precious (and that’s a heck of a lot <3 Lasseter rules!) :smiley:

I assumed you’d agree :smiley:

I’m not a big fan of Dreamworks, BUT I have praise for Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon, among some of their other films. I watch every one of their movies with an open mind, hoping to find a new classic to add to my list of favorite animated films. I own a handful of their movies in my animation collection; some are great (Shrek), and some are okay (Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas). I’m just not satisfied every time. It’s not like I blindly loathe them, just like I don’t blindly love everything Disney or Pixar–both of which I’m HUGE fans of–come up with (examples: Cars and Chicken Little). You could call it bias that I expect more from Pixar than from Dreamworks, but I call it an opinion based off what I’ve seen from both studios. So nanana boo boo!

This is how I feel, too. I’m always looking for quality animated films. no matter what studio they come from. =)

Um, not really…To be honest, they generally agree with me when it comes to films, both Pixar and Dreamworks, so when we all went to see Ratatouille at the cinema, for example, and we all found ourselves a bit disappointed and not enjoying it as much as some of Pixar’s other films, we’re all honest with each other and say that- even though they know that I have a penchant for Pixar’s works. The same applies with Dreamworks films really, we’re just honest about it.

How boring. :laughing:

I have seen a few dreamworks films, namely Kung Fu Panda and Prince of Egypt…as well as other films by otehr animation studios…and PIXAR!
my opinion. Each to their own…
DW films…can be fun, but…they need work in teh clean humor department
Blue Sky Animation, the three Ice Age films…needs work in the same area
Disney Animation however…made…BOLT!!! my favorite movie of all time!..and Meet the Robinsons, which stank.

This is Pixar Planet :slight_smile: I’m sorry, but I can’t stand Dreamworks. Their movies are just … horrible. Now, I’ll admit, I liked around three: (HTTYD, and their hand drawn ones). I don’t get why everyone loves Kung Fu Panda. And I’ll never forgive them for the whole ABL/Antz thing. I know it was JK, not the whole company, that stole. But I can’t stand him. Whenever I see a Dreamworks movie, I feel weird paying. Now that I’m a Pixar fangirl, I feel like it’s aiding the enemy, and walking behind enemy lines :slight_smile:

If there’s one good thing to say about Dreamworks, it’s that they give Pixar competition. They give Pixar a reason to keep making amazing movies.

I asked my little cousins whether they liked Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs (which isn’t Dreamworks, but for me it’s still below Pixar level) or TS3 better, and they said CWACOM. Sad :cry:

Kung Fu Panda is my favorite DW film. I also like PoE and HtTyd.

I like Dreamworks. Not as much as Pixar but I like them. I like Shrek 1 and 2, Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon. But they also have movies like Shark Tale :frowning: . To most critics Dreamworks was better this year. Pixar just had more of an impact on my childhood the Dreamworks did do I don’t like them as much.

To me, I just think DW’s copies alot of things from Pixar and/or Disney. No wonder why most of DW’s films sound similar to Pixar or Disney. I hope DW’s makes more films like HTTYD that didn’t rely on pop-culture jokes and toilet humor. The only film that I can think of that had those types of humor was Shrek 2. I wonder who DW’s will partner up with after the deal with Paramont expires next year. My best bet is Warner Bros but they’re with Animal Logic.

Whenever I watch an animated movie, I don’t think about whether it’s Pixar, DW, or whatever. I just judge each movie individually.

Well, I think Dreamwork’s has been getting better ever since HTTYD even though they’ve been releasing alot of sequels since Madagascar 2. I’m glad that they’re going for alot of original projects after Madagascar 3.

I love to group movies by their company. But that doesn’t affect my enjoyment of them. And I agree, DW is much better since HtTYD. I would say since Kung Fu Panda, but that would be saying Monsters vs. Aliens was a good movie. Yuck. :stuck_out_tongue: