Toy Story fan commentary - 10.20.2008

I’m interested in watching this. How is it going to work? Are you going to broadcast it live on some streaming site or something?

WALL·E - I can mix in the sound, but I don’t think we’re allowed to use it without permission from Pixar. Giving the time may not work for all viewers, because there’s a black screen before the movie starts, the duration of which is sometimes variable depending on which format you’re watching. I’d like to instruct the viewer to pause the video when the first spark of the magic dust appears in the Disney logo. They’ll start the video at that point when I say “play.”

Bryko614 - We’ll be releasing the commentary as an mp3 file. You’ll be able to download it and synchronize it with your copy of Toy Story.

I see. Thanks a million. :smiley:

the preparation bit was lol.

We’re halfway through now! It’s going relatively smoothly, despite some technical issues at the start, but people have plenty to say and it’s all feeling pretty relaxed now.

Well, we finished recording for Toy Story. I thought it went pretty well. We had a relaxed but informative conversation going on, but I can hardly remember what mostly everyone said, and what I said. Probably due to nerves. A few technical difficulties, but we handled them ok. I can’t wait to hear the end result! Yay for participating in and recording the very first Pixar Planet fan commentary! Well done, everyone. =D

I thought the commentary was done really well. I can’t wait for the finished product. I had so much fun doing it.

Part 1 can be downloaded here. I’ll be going to sleep soon, so part 2 will be available sometime in the next 24 hours. Have fun listening. =)

'specially the beginning where i gave everyone a shock. It was me who was creating the echo aswell. I can of monitor cleaner fall into some money and off the desk.

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks for uploading the first part, Peter. I’ll listen to it later, when I have a bit more time to spare.

Yeah, I think it went pretty well, especially as it’s the first feature-length commentary that we’ve done. I was worried that we might kind of burn out nearer to the end, but I think we maintained momentum pretty well throughout.

On a side-note, does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have a Fan Commentary section in this bit of the boards, like we do for Fan Art and Fan Fiction and that sort of thing? It might make the threads more accessible, but just a suggestion.

lizardgirl - Rachel and I as well were considering requesting a sub-forum for fan commentaries. I thought that once I’ve uploaded our first feature would be a good time to request one. I’ll get back to editing part 2, then I’ll make a topic in the Pixar Planet sub-forum about a fan commentaries sub-forum.

Edit: Here’s part 2.

Yep, lizardgirl. The fan commentary medium needs its own sub-forum, I agree. And maybe in that sub-forum the thread where you can download all of the commentaries can be stickied up the top. And we could also have a usergroup icon for anyone who’s participated in a commentary. Imagine the possibilities!

Wow. Less than 24 hrs - that was fast. Thanks Peter! Downloading them both now. Full review later!

What an enjoyable commentary. Give yourselves a pat on the back, everyone. =)

It had a good mix of trivia and factual information, and then relaxed tangential moments. I liked how we played off of each other and asked questions and continued on with our points, rather than simply stating something and moving on. So, it sounded very natural and flowed well. It’s funny how everyone was a bit shy at the beginning of the commentary, but by the end, we were all chatting away. It seemed we all got a fair amount of time to talk, too. If I interrupted too many times - sorry! You guys were really gracious in letting me go ahead with speaking.

I really enjoyed recording this with you all - it was such a great experience, and very fun. I hope I get to do commentaries with you guys again, and I’m also looking forward to commentating with other different members, too! Thanks for recording, editing and uploading this, Peter. Not to mention organising it. It turned out great. =)

If anyone who didn’t participate in this commentary wanted to give feedback/constructive criticism, feel free to do so. But don’t be too harsh, we’re just fans here. :wink:

Hooray for completing our very first feature commentary. We did it!

Um… so do any of my four fellow Toy Story commentators have any feedback on the end result of the commentary? How did you all think it went and turned out? What were your favourite moments of the commentary (during the recording or before)? Come on, let’s show some enthusiasm for the first completed fan commentary here, right guys? We all used to give each other detailed feedback, remember?

Furthermore, does anyone who didn’t participate in this commentary have any constructive criticism to give or any comments?

Maybe a feature length commentary is too long for people to take the time out to listen to it and give feedback, I don’t know. Or maybe everyone is busy right now. I’ll be happy to elaborate on my feedback, depending on the response to this post, if you guys want.

:question: :question: :question:

Personally, I thought that everyone who participated did a marvelous job with the commentary. There was a good balance of fact and fun. Everyone had their turn talking and all had strong points.

There were some really funny moments, and for those of you who participated, we did a great job coming back after we were all cut off.

Sorry for the delay on listening to the commentary and reviewing on it. I had my last exam today (wahey!) so finally have the time to listen to it properly.

I really like the balance of trivia and general conversation and opinions about the film. Lightning Eclipse, you sounded so natural throughout, asking questions and giving your own opinion and also making some really good observations. You’ve got a good voice for fan commentaries! Some of the comments you made were really funny too- ‘I was a weird kid’. :laughing: Good to inject some humour into something like this.

Rachel, I enjoyed listening to all of your contributions, both in terms of fact and opinion. You’re also a real natural at this- you sound so relaxed!- and I found your comments on Pixar’s association with Disney really interesting. I look forward to listening to any other commentaries that you’re going to be involved in. :smiley:

TSS- ‘Definitely a problem child, Sid’. Actually made me laugh out loud listening back to it. :laughing: I like your sense of humour, as it really added some fun to the commentary. And you thinking it was ‘baloney’ instead of ‘ya looney’. :laughing:

I love your accent, JesusFreak! You sound really clear on the recording, and it was a good contrast to everyone else. And you pointed out some cool inside jokes, like the A113 reference, and the Pizza Planet truck. :smiley:

All in all, it was a good commentary, especially for the first feature length commentary that we’ve done. There’s pretty much continuous conversation throughout, it was calm and relaxed, and if someone listened to it who didn’t know much about Toy Story, they’d learn a lot about the film. Nice work, everyone!

I cringe when I hear my own voice, though. It’s like ‘stfu’ all the time. :laughing:

Ah, neat! Thank you for the feedback, lizardgirl! Thanks, too, The Star Swordsman. That’s more like it. :sunglasses:

lizardgirl - You had exams this month, so I knew you probably wouldn’t be able to have time to listen to it, that’s alright. :wink: Glad to know you survived those exams unscathed! I thought you did great! You knew a lot of facts, too, and you are just good at answering my questions and pointing things out. You’re just an all-'round great commentator, really. I know I’ve said this a billion times, but I love both your voice and accent. It’s so eloquent and proper compared to mine. And you sounded very natural, too. (I’m just saying what you said to me, lol. But it’s all true.)

Thank you for the compliments you gave me. The way I speak before and after the recording is more indicative of my natural speaking voice. I was really nervous during the recording. Heh.

My favourite moments were when we were talking about whether Buzz Lightyear was human and lizardgirl mentioned they made a joke about it on the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command TV show. I still find that whole question quite bizarre. My favourite line of the whole commentary would be when The Star Swordsman said “It’s weird, I always thought he said ‘Well, good riddance ya baloney!’” I just love the emphasis on “baloney.” That part was really funny. Your acting skills shine through with the commentary, TSS, because you know how to control your voice to get the desired result, and you seem really confident with everything that you say.

And then before the commentary:

WALL•E joins in on Skype
“Hello, WALL•E!”
“Hey guys.”
screeching noise and rustling

“Umm… WALL•E?”
more rustling for a minute
something falls over

“Ok then.”

8D

Such as…? :stuck_out_tongue:

Rachel- Thank you! Haha, I loved it when WALL-E popped in for a bit too- it was confusing but funny. :laughing:

I’m honestly trying to think of some constructive critique about this commentary, but nothing went obviously wrong…There were one or two interruptions, but that’s to be expected and they were all handed pretty eloquently. I guess there could be more banter between commentators, but it’s so difficult to know what to say when you can’t even see the people you’re talking to, and there was a fair amount of discussion anyway as opposed to just straight, one-directional facts. And with practice, we can only get better.

So basically, we were all amazing first time round. :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

lizardgirl - I’m with you. The only constructive criticism that I could come up with was to try to fill in the silences and have less of them, but if you watch the movie with the movie’s audio it’s a lot less noticeable, and I guess it’s better to have silence than to say something just for the sake of it. Next time I’ll take your advice and I’ll try to talk to the commentators more and elaborate on what they say and continue on points. As I said, I had a lot of nerves when recording, plus I already felt as if I talked too much so didn’t want to talk more.

Thanks again for the critique, lizardgirl! You’re awesome. :smiley:

lol, nothing wrong with a bit of self-recognition for a job well done, is there? :stuck_out_tongue: :slight_smile:

Maybe next commentary I participate it, I make sure that the video works BEFORE the commentary, not 5 minutes before.