Toy Story fan commentary - 10.20.2008

I’d love if we did any of the 21:00 times. Yes, I’d be here @ the 3:00 times, but I’d either whisper through it or get in trouble with my parents more likely than not, since it’s kinda late here. Plus, my connection tends to work better mid-day, so the 21:00 times would be great for me. ^^

I spoke to Netbug over Skype and she said that the 03:00 times would be ok if we started close to 03:00 UTC. So here are the updated times when we can do the first Toy Story commentary (these times should work for Lightning Eclipse as well):
There’s 4.5 hours starting at 21:00 on Dec 26 UTC,
3 hours starting at 03:00 on Dec 27 UTC,
4.5 hours starting at 21:00 on Dec 29 UTC,
4.5 hours starting at 21:00 on Jan 2 UTC,
3 hours starting at 03:00 on Jan 3 UTC,
4.5 hours starting at 21:00 on Jan 3 UTC,
and 3 hours starting at 03:00 on Jan 4 UTC.

I’ll be there on Dec. 29th, 21:00! So, it’s skype? Or what can I record it on?

TSS can possibly make it at these times:
4.5 hours starting at 21:00 on Dec 26 UTC,
3 hours starting at 03:00 on Dec 27 UTC,
and he can definitely make it at this time:
4.5 hours starting at 21:00 on Jan 2 UTC.
Maybe we should try to do the commentary at 21:00 on Dec 26 UTC, so we’ll have more than one chance to complete this commentary (i.e. we can fall back on 03:00 on Dec 27 UTC and 21:00 on Jan 2 UTC).

TS2 - We’ve pretty much finalized the participants for the first Toy Story commentary. However we’ll be doing a second Toy Story commentary as well. The second Toy Story commentary will take place sometime after Mitch and Pixar.rocks return. Yes, we are using Skype to do the commentary.

qxgnxamy - sure.

That 21:00 on Dec 26 UTC time sounds good to me! I’ll log on at that time and hopefully everyone else will be able to make it, too. I better use tomorrow to watch Toy Story and research… if anyone wants to do some reading, here’s a blog entry about the roots of Pixar, as well as Toy Story’s history. And another one.

For anyone wanting to research, apart from what I linked to in the above post…

Here’s a page I bookmarked whilst looking for in-jokes a while back: Toy Story Secrets. Very easy to read, with tidbits of info about Toy Story… on second thought the page mentions a lot of continuity errors, of which we wouldn’t want to point out too many. Oh well, give it a read anyway.

Speaking of in-jokes, you can take a look at the award-winning Definitive Pixar In-Jokes List for Pixar references to mention [/shameless plug] I’ll have use willpower to stop myself from mentioning them at every opportunity during the commentary.

And the only other advice I can offer would be to watch the movie, the behind the scenes, and The Pixar Story on your WALL•E DVD concerning the part about (and leading up to) the creation of Toy Story. If memory serves, the Pixar Short Films: Volume 1 DVD has information about Tin Toy, which was the original idea for Toy Story.

I’m so sorry to say this at such short notice, but I’m not going to be able to make the one tonight. I’ve been sick for a week now, and I optimistically thought that I’d be better by now, and I’m not. My voice went yesterday, and I still sound like a hormonal teenage boy, so I’m not going to be much good tonight.

I hope the commentary goes well, and that you all have a good time this evening.

We’re not going to do the commentary today anymore, we’ll do it at 21:00 on Jan 2 UTC. This should give us more time to prepare for the commentary. However, I don’t think we’re going to delay the first Toy Story commentary any further than this, so if any of the commentators can’t make it then, we’re going to go ahead with it anyways.

Edit: I guess it may be a good idea to start planning the first WALL-E commentary now, so we can get it done sooner after the first Toy Story commentary. That involves doing another practice. If you haven’t done a practice yet, please give me your schedules for the next 2 or 3 weeks (or longer, if you have that information), and tell me which short film you’d like to practice on.

So, we’re not doing it today? Errr, okay. I probably could use a bit more preparation, anyways. And I guess I can go to the barn now…<< >>

So, January 2nd is our next commentary then, huh? Okay, I think I can make it. Hopefully nothing will come up that will make us have to cancel it, though.

I hope you feel better soon, lizardgirl. Hopefully your voice will be back by next week. :wink:

At least this gives us more time to prepare. If anyone has the two-disc of Toy Story, you should watch the extra called “Film-makers Reflect”. It’s basically Andrew, John, Pete and the late Joe Ranft sitting around talking on the tenth anniversary of Toy Story’s release. It’s very funny. Has anyone else seen it?

for practices - 9:30pm UTC every night (almost), but it depends, you see. if we have a specific set of dates, i can tell you which ones i will be able to make.

WALL·E - Earlier you said that on Saturdays you were available between 6 and 10 PM UTC. Do you still have that extra time?

yes, i think so.

All commentators in the first Toy Story commentary - Just a reminder that you have less than three days left to research and prepare. Everyone should read Rachel’s Pixar Commentary Tips for suggestions on how to make a good commentary. The commentary will take place at 21:00 on Jan 2 UTC, which may be Friday or Saturday depending on where you live. This will be our last attempt (i.e. we’re going to do the commentary even if some people are missing).

Peter- Is that the time you want us to log on, or is that the time we’re actually going to try and start recording?

That’s the time that we’ll log on.

I thought that was the time we were going to start because of Netbug… Well, regardless, I’ll be online before then so if you want to start it earlier we can do that (so we have time to chat beforehand and sort any issues out, for example.)

• will we still be having the break in the middle of the movie? I think we should still have the break because, well, I drink a lot of water. :wink:

• who is going to introduce the commentary? Usually in the practices someone just goes ahead and does it, but does anyone in particular want to introduce? I was thinking we could say something like “Hello and welcome to the Pixar Planet Fan Commentary Group’s commentary for Toy Story. You can find information about us or give feedback by going to Pixar Planet Forums. My name is [your name].” Then everyone else introduces themselves. Then perhaps a different delegated person could give a little bit of info on the film like the year it was released etc. Then we just go into a normal conversation. How does this sound?

• during the commentary, would people prefer to be called by their screen-name or their real name? I am going to introduce myself as “Rachel aka rachelcakes1985”, but if you need to say my name during the commentary, I’d prefer Rachel. How about you guys?

You can think about these and we can discuss these points beforehand on a voice chat over Skype, or you can respond here. Looking forward to tomorrow! =)

Netbug actually can’t do the commentary tomorrow, so JesusFreak will take her place.

I think we should have a break in the middle of the movie too.

Here’s something new: I think we should start recording before we all click play to start the video. This way we can put instructions at the beginning of the mp3 file on how to synchronize the video with the commentary. We can do the introductions before giving the synchronization instructions. Since I’ll be doing the countdown, I guess I should introduce myself as well (probably last, so I can give the synchronization instructions immediately afterwards), even though I’m not going to be commentating.

Maybe we should give the URL of the forums at the end of the commentary. It seems like a more appropriate place for that information.

All of those ideas sound good to me. =)