Toy Story promotional boxed set of toys

Hello-

Does anyone happen to know any info on what I believe is a promotional boxed set of toys? Thanks in advance for any info.

Wow! I’m sad to say that I know nowhere to obtain one of those, but I’m glad you shared those pictures. It looks really awesome.

I’ve searched just about everywhere to find out more info, but so far I have found nothing about it. Here is what is inside:

I have never seen this set of toys before, but it looks like a press kit or something that might’ve been given out to Disney sponsors. Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

That’s what I was thinking. I thought it might be a set for the premier, a press kit, or other promo.

Where did you find the pics? Did you see the stuff on ebay or something?

I took the pics. It’s a set I have.

Thanks for sharing these with us. I always like stumbling along these sort of rare finds on the internet even if it’s just by pictures.

Never seen it before, but it has to be some kind of advanced promotional item. The Buzz and Woody are both first editions (they were replaced very early on), and the Bucket ‘O’ Soldiers is different from the retail version… the bucket doesn’t even look finished. The Etch A Sketch, Slinky, and the Mr. Potato Head were just the usual retail ones at the time. Slinky Dog wasn’t being made until 1996, I believe, and so was the movie-inspired Mr. Potato Head. Some early Potato Heads like that even had stickers promoting Toy Story on the box, but this one even predates that.

The packaging is really interesting, can you get a scan or a picture of the box? For one, the Alien is different design (the same as the ones in the video game), and See N Say is on it… you never see him on promotional merchandise!

EDIT: The Slinky says it’s a 50th anniversary edition (I think), which would confirm this is from 1995. Probably a lot earlier, though, but it’s hard to make an exact timeframe.

The Potato Head does not have any Toy Story promotion on it. I will take some more pictures of the box and post them up.

Waiting to charge the batteries on my camera. The Bucket of Soldiers is actually a printed logo on it. It is not a sticker. Also, you are correct that the Alien is different.

Here are all the sides of the box as well as the top and bottom and some close ups:

front:

top:

bottom:

side 1:

side 2:

side 3:

close ups:

Beta Alien?

Thanks for the pics!

The models from the film would definately be finalized already. That picture has to be from the video game.

Were Woody’s hands ever tied in (or are there holes where they should be)? That’s how all retail ones were.
My guess is that this was sent to toy suppliers for an example of what kind of merchandise there is. Woody and Buzz both appear to be the final versions, since Buzz even has the Disney coupon on his box.

Now, if I’m definate on something, it’s that this was NOT made for retail. First, the box has no indication of what’s included, only the release of the film… which they would probably want to do on something that would cost around $100. It would be such a strange collection to sell as a box set, especially before the film’s released. The biggest reason is that the Bucket ‘O’ Soldiers clearly isn’t finished.

The Aliens in the video game had purple arms.

Woody also has the $4 Disney coupon. Yes, there are 2 holes where his left hand should be tied.

Call it graphical limitations, but it’s the still the same basic design. I guess Pixar likes to switch colors around, like the original Toy Story logo.

Thanks for contributing to my post and all of your thoughts on this set. I’m still curious to see if there is another one out there.

There probably is, but nowadays it’d be nearly impossible to find one. Assuming these were sent out to stores, some may just be lying around and forgotten. Some might be disassembled and played with. The only likely place that they’ll show up now is eBay.

For a more official answer, you could always try asking Lee Unkrich on his Formspring or Twitter accound. John Lasseter would be the best person to ask, but to my knowledge, he doesn’t have any of those accounts.

Or maybe Lee could ask John if he doesn’t know. I’m sure they must keep close contact.