Treasure Planet

I actually kinda fell into a depression watching this movie a while back, thanks to my envy of Jim’s relationship with Silver at the end of the movie. For that reason, I really REALLY love this movie, it’s actually one of my favorites, and I just relate to Jim so much. Looking back with a more critical perspective, it’s not the greatest movie, but a lot of the animation is absolutely stunning if you look at it, just watch Doppler. There were some seriously amazing artists on board. All in all, I think it deserved a bit more praise, but it wasn’t the best, by any means.

Treasure Planet is very underrated! Along with Atlantis:The Lost Empire…I hope it gets the attention it deserves one day…

Disagree. I loved the animation!

And yeah, I see both sides of this discussion. It’s a little underappreciated, but I also feel that it didn’t live up to its potential. I feel a little guilty saying that because I can never pinpoint exactly where it fell short.

Yeah, same here. I really love it, but there’s something about it that doesn’t make it really really great. The animation is superb, the story is solid, not sure what’s missing.

It and Atlantis are 2 Disney films that I really, really like artistically, but I know for a fact that the plot could have been much, much better if the execs hadn’t have gotten in the way.

I just watched this on TV the other day. It was like I thought; like Atlantis. Love it. The Ï’m Still Here"song where he and Silver got close was really special. Love it. :smiley:

I still need to see this movie. I saw the first 5 minutes on youtube, and I thought it was pretty neat. I defintely want to watch it.

Liked the warm, painterly backgrounds and the concept of the ethereal universe. Loved Morph and Mr. Arrow. The interaction between Doppler and Amelia felt forced, but both characters were serviceable. [spoil]The “mixed litter” at the end was an unsettling riff on Lady and the Tramp, and somehow it seemed to lessen Amelia’s grrrrl power.[/spoil]

It was tough to get with Jim’s angst, but…okay. It didn’t seem that he grew or discovered a whole lot about himself, just sort of reacted to circumstances and lucked into coming out on top via incredible timing. LJS, as a CG-hybrid animated character, was well scripted and voiced, but visually he was a bit deep into the uncanny valley. Even so, the Jim/LJS relationship was the most engaging emotional component of the film, and handled well.

BEN was nails on chalkboard, as Martin Short almost always is. The only thing I ever liked him in was Barbie as The Princess and the Pauper–he was The Villain, so it was comfortable to regard his character with amused distaste there. In TP, the sense of agitation Short’s dialogue creates is fast-forward-worthy.

All in all, an enjoyable, peaceful visual experience where warm, but rather jarring for some clunky intrusions into the positive vibes.

Treasure Planet will always be remembered as one of my favorite Disney films ever. A bold statement, I know, but with a catalogue of 50 it’s possible to see any Disney film on a Top 10 list (except Home on the Range, that was horrible). It came out right during the stages of my ideal youth, a young boy with a thirst for adventure awaiting an action-packed film with about the same character minus the age-deduction. While everyone was caught up in Lord of the Rings fever…okay I was too, but I managed to break away from it long enough to get hyped over this movie. My reaction to the trailer was unbelievable, it just looked so good. I started counting the days to its premiere, and on opening day I saw it, in Germany no less (don’t worry, it was an English theatre). The scenes that I still remember from that first viewing were the opening, Jim’s ride on the hover-board-thing, every scene with that Spider-psycho guy, the finale, and of course the black hole. That scene in particular I remember writing about in first grade (hey I got an A+). But the scene that stuck out to me the most (and still does) was the scene accompanied by Jim’s theme of the Goo-Goo Dolls. (Everybody now, “I’m still Heeeeeere!”). I loved how touching it was, I loved how dark it was, I loved how we learned everything about Jim in a single montage, I loved how there was no dialogue, I loved every aspect of it. Naturally, most of these details summarize how I feel about the whole film. It’s obvious that the film is very nostalgic to me, which is why I probably love it so much, but in a world of spoofs, remakes, reboots, sequels, reimaginings, 3-D, and Fred, is that really a bad thing? The movie still holds up on it’s own, and when I watch it I still catch a glimpse of myself years prior watching it in awe, a flashback to my youth. Even if you don’t like Treasure Planet (Roger Ebert :angry: , just kidding I love that guy), seeing it proves the point that DIsney doesn’t sell out. It’s an original story (sort of) with original characters that are fun, and several dark themes that push it into higher standards. I love how the characters have an Iron Giant style to them. I love all the scenes with traditionally animated characters in CG-animated backgrounds. I have a feeling that when John Lasseter looks back on his original dream of creating a movie with traditionally animated characters in a CG world, this is the type of film he imagined. I love this film, and everything about it, including those who agree with my feelings. That is all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Strange you mention that, because I don’t get an Uncanny Valley vibe at all!

This line elicited several Chuckles…funny! Also, thanks for sharing your perspective–detailed thoughts always make for enjoyable reading.

q_o_p: It’s quite possible I’m more uncanny-valley-sensitive than the average bear. The whole CG-traditional animation hybrid thing weirds me out a bit, and motion capture is even worse…although I still liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. It’s not hard to get past the reaction, but awareness always comes with the mental effort. In Treasure Planet, I kept focusing on LJS’s cyborg parts to see how they were moving. Must be a polygon thing.

Yay a Hanna-Barbera reference! You rock!

e-j-e: If a mere reference rocks, how about a whole HB topic!

On topic, thinking about Treasure Planet…I read Treasure Island way back in elementary school, and it was an edition with the Wyeth illustrations. Looking at the WikiSmartypantsia entry on TP, it looks like the animators drew on Wyeth for inspiration. Cool! Also as a youth, I was thrilled by the 1950 Disney film with Robert Newton as LJS. Even after all those fine long-ago memories, Treasure Planet still holds up as an enjoyable update/continuation.

I wasn’t bothered by Silver’s appearence or the cat-dogs, but I totally see why you were, Steve. The whole movie looked a little weird, but I think it was supposed to.

I’m currently watching the movie right now for the first time.

*I love, love, love the animation. It’s a perfect blend of CG and hand drawn. The movie was just well animated in general.

*The best character makes it into the movie half way through, I’m of course talking about B.E.N.

*I personally am not too fond of the plot and story, or the music.

Overall, it’s a decent movie. But I agree with a lot of posters before me, it lacked something. But it somewhat made up for that with its stunning animation.

I liked this movie a lot. It’s like Atlantis; you may not like it, but you have to admit it’s pretty!! 8D

I just saw this movie for the first time recently. I really liked it, and I thought the characters were cool.

I didn’t care for one thing, though. [spoil]Amelia! :imp:[/spoil]

My favorite character was Jim’s mom.

I heard about Treasure planet from it being mentioned a few times here and there, and I talked about it with one of my friends who told me that I had to see the film. Needless to say, I got around seeing the film. I am curious on how the original pitch for this was done back in the 80’s. From my understanding, Ron and John had an interest to do this since the 80’s.

Its Treasure Island in space, but needless to say. I got a kick out of this movie. The animation was fantastic as well as the CG that was used in this film. Like what everyone else said, the film felt like it was missing something. I happened to enjoy Long John in this film. Am I the only one who thought it was a good idea to make him a cybrog?

I like her too.