'Up' board

I don’t normally post “insider info” (not that anything I’m saying here is classified), but in the interest of stemming a “how dare Disney do this to Pixar” topic…

The Up trailer was not included with Wally because the Up trailer was not yet finished. Thanks to a funny schedule, the first reel (including the trailer that is attached to the film) was locked for film-out many months ago. You may wonder how a trailer could not be finished with just a year to go, but it was more like the trailer was not finished with 18 months to go. I’m not sure what held Up the trailer for so long, but if you think about it, nearly all of the ‘final look’ needs to be established and perfected for a trailer: models, animation, lighting, effects. Even if the trailer is finished now, it would be too late to attach to Wally.

Bolt, due out early next year, is further ahead.

so it’s just a coincidence…
Everything seemed to be perfect, four new movies in the next three years, a lots of images and information about the plots… and now, for the first time, a Pixar teaser is late.
Sigh… from now on I’ll blame the bad luck we have for having Bolt this year and not last year…

Anyway I’m still crying… :cry:

There is nothing stopping Disney releasing the teaser on Apple or something exclusively for a week or so and then attaching it to other films in cinemas.

It’s not the end of the world guys.

Well, I don’t buy the whole story that the Up trailer simply wasn’t finished in time… Since when do Pixar ever break their schedule? (Except for when the negotiations were going on with Disney before the merger and Cars and Ratatouille were affected). Pixar are usually very good in sticking to their deadlines and don’t take the idea of extending them lightly. Nope. It’s just too much of a coincidence that Disney now owns Pixar, (as well as the position/obligations that John Lasseter has now) and a Disney trailer is showing in front of a Pixar film.

The fact is that people are wary of going to see a Disney stand-alone animation, but if it is Pixar, it’s pretty much automatically bums on seats, because of the reputation of quality that Pixar has built up - a contrast to the hole that Disney dug itself into in exchange for a quick buck. It’s hurt their reputation and now Pixar are doing them a favour by giving them more of an automatic potential audience, and exposure they otherwise wouldn’t have. Do I understand it from a business point of view? Yes. Does it make it right? No.

Also, I wonder if this has any relevance to the reason why Presto wasn’t released last year… Probably so Presto can be nominated at the Oscars at the same time as WALL•E, just to keep them together and so they can win at the same time (I hope).

(I’m not as worked up as I seem - just a bit disappointed because I like tradition and don’t like the idea of Disney meddling with Pixar, that’s all. This is just an outlet for me, and like other Pixar flubs in the past, I’ll get over it, but I won’t forget it).

Yeah, we could watch it on the computer, but it’s still not the same as seeing it in the cinema before a Pixar film… There’s just something special, as a fan, about seeing the “Pixar trio” at each new Pixar film: the trailer, the short, and the movie.

I posted this over at Upcoming Pixar and I’ll post it here too:
Everybody, let’s get something straight, the fact that the Up trailer isn’t with WALL-E and that Pixar movies aren’t coming in 2-Disc DVDs are NOT Disney’s fault, or have anything to do with the acquisition, especially the former. There are PERFECTLY good explanations for each. The Up trailer was not added to WALL-E because of schedule problems, and there’s nothing Disney (or Pixar) could have done about it unles you wanted to see a crappy unrendered trailer. An insider of mine confirmed to me that the Bolt trailer and Presto will “oversatisfy” you, there’s NOTHING to worry about.
About the Blu-Ray discs, that wasn’t mainly on Disney’s part, it was John Lasseter’s decision to move on to the future of home video, which, in time, you’ll be glad he did.
In conclusion, NONE of this was directly Disney’s “fault” and of course, Pixar still has all it’s creativity and all it’s creative talent including the Brain Trust which will keep the Pixar culture. Even so, Disney and Pixar signed a contract with terms that cannot be breached protecting Pixar, so again, there’s NOTHING to worry about!

Link to the facts, please. :slight_smile:

I agree,it makes me wonder to :confused: .

I’m disappointed about not having a teaser for Up as well, but I believe that it’s a scheduling problem. If a teaser for Up was ready, I don’t see why Disney execs (who now have the well-being of Pixar in mind as well since they are the same company) would choose not to put an Up teaser alongside a Bolt trailer if they had them both. And Bolt should have a big audience if Miley Cyrus promotes it.

No worries rachel! This is a good partnership. It’s not like Eisner is still running things. Think of it as Pixar now running Disney. :slight_smile:

As for which short is attached to which movie, I always just thought that ever since the Incredibles, the short was used to test the backgrounds for the next major film Pixar was releasing the year after. e.g., The Incredibles had Boundin’ (looked like Cars’ background?). Cars had One Man Band (looked like a European background). Then Ratatouille had Lifted (which had the outer space backdrop). I’m wondering if Presto had anything to do with Up. Of course these are all just guesses from me and I could be dead wrong.

upcomingfilmscores.blogspot.com/ … no-up.html

MICHAEL GIACCHINO WILL SCORE UP!

I had a feeling Mikey G would be scoring this.

miafka: How long before they start scoring a film do they start hiring musicians?

So, Michael Giacchino is for sure scoring it, but what about plot? Is it confirmed that it is about a 70yr old with a ranger fighting monsters?

The plot has indeed been confirmed.

YESSSSSSSS! Michael Giachinoooooooooo!!! :mrgreen:

That is awesome news! I was really hoping he would score Up! WOO HOO!

Alright! Giachinno is doing the score for this! I can’t wait to see it! I hope the realese date comes soon.

TSS: It has indeed been announced - May 29 2009!

Great to hear that Mr. Giacchino is on board. Once I heard that Stanton was bringing Thomas Newman back for Wall-E (which, the score and the film is probably the first really overrated thing Pixar’s done) I thought that Mr. Docter would bring in Randy Newman (who did Monsters, Inc.) But I’m glad to see that it’s gonna be Giacchino, he’s easily the best composer Pixar’s used (heck, they basically discovered him- or at least introduced him to legions of fans).

Plus, the Giacchino fan in me is geeking out, cause with this, that means he had three big film scores with a two month (or so) window, first he’s scoring J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek, then three weeks later he’s scoring Up, and then he’s attached to score something called ‘Land of the Lost’ that July. Plus, he’s obviously gonna score 1906, which hopefully opens the following December. So, wow! Four Giacchino scores in just over half a year. He’s sure gonna be busy.

So how was the teaser trailer?

As announced earlier, there was no Up trailer. :cry:
But on the bright side there was a nice Bolt trailer.

Yeah i was really dissapointed. I thought there was gonna be a teaser for it. Pixar always does that, like how they showed the Wall-e teaser at Ratatouille last year , but I guess I just have to wait. :frowning:

Really? I must have missed the memo. Anyway, that’s weird. I was wondering why no one had mentioned it yet and was looking forward to seeing a little more about it.