UP Box Office

Up’s box is likely to remain stable and probably rise this and next weekend in the U.S. It’s down to a sad 277 theaters, which is less than a tenth of its former glory. But it could pick up some for the last of summer holiday weekend. This happened to Wall-E last summer, altho it was released a month later and expanded to 1155 screens. Theater chains will be looking for a good family animated movie for the holiday, and Ice Age will probably be that one. Still, this is good news and provides perhaps a last opportunity for some of us who live in large metro areas to find the movie, even if that means going to second tier locations.

Btw, Wall-E was showing in Egypt till May of this year, which I thought was an interesting tidbit.

Edit 2 days later: Up added 165 theaters just this past week! And doubled its take for the preceding week. Now it will get about a million next week and eventually slip into the guesstimated $292-294M tally. It actually is now beating IA3 and Transformers2!! Delayed justice, even tho both will finish, along with Potter ahead in the global take. It seems as if more ppl want to see it over the Ice Age movie for the holiday.

Edit Sept 6, 15th week: Box is est. at around $1M domestic for the holiday weekend, $290.6M, altho the ‘weekend’ isn’t over until Monday evening here.

Just hit dollar cinemas in my area (Saw it twice yesterday, I was ELATED) so I expect earnings to slow down quite a bit. It’d be nice to see a spike in the earnings though.

From Screendaily.com today:

“Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International’s Pixar hit Up added $7.1m from 2,282 cinemas in 23 territories for $156.5m. France has generated $29.4m after five weekends, while Spain rewarded Up with the number one slot for the fifth consecutive weekend as it added $1.3m from 525 for $28.3m. The film has taken more than Ratatouille did in its entire run there and by next weekend is expected to overtake Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs as the biggest animated release of 2009 in Spain…”

still collecting info on this, and this hasn’t been confirmed, it’s still Sunday evening in the America’s while I’m typing this. Hmm, some of the sites haven’t updated the global totals for the weekend. Anyways, Up did so well in Spain cuz of a weak release of Year One (Jack Black film that semi-bombed here). Still, it almost did beat Up. The Spanish sites I’ve been visiting are calling it the movie of the summer, way over the “disappointing, overrated” Potter installation.

France: Top 10 most viewed films this weekend: “Inglorious Basterds” remains

The animated Pixar film Up (Disney) fell two places to occupy fourth place with 215,030 viewers.

Box-office August 26 to 30, 2009 (source Relaxnews)

1. Inglorious Basterds
  2. Final Destination 4
  3. Up (Disney)
  4. Ice Age 3: the time of the dinosaurs (Fox)
    :sunglasses: Number 9 (SND)
  5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince mingled

Will Up beat Ratatouille’s $417M overseas gross? It could come close. Wall-E got $310M overseas, the Rat was a sensation in France, Germany and the Low Countries. Seems that Up is a sensation in the Spanish speaking world. Brazil next week!

Up is finally unseated as #1 in Spain after around 5 weeks with a total of $30.4M there so far:

The Spanish classification between 4 and Sept. 6 was as follows:

1- (-) “What’s wrong with men?” 1,405,500 euros
2- (1) “Up” 804,100 euros
3- (-) “Gamer” 648,400 euros

And finally in Australia we have some word from the Sydney Herald and other sources:

A third of Australia is Up enough

"The words “limited” and “release” don’t make a lot of sense after Disney/Pixar’s latest gem, Up, received a “limited release” into just Victoria and Queensland last week yet rated No.1 nationally over the weekend.

Now obviously any Sydneysider will retort that there’s nothing else to do down Mexico way than go to the flicks, but, even so, to embrace such a handicap and still knock Quentin Tarantino off top spot is quite a feather in the cap for the animation wizards. "

The box in this limited release weekend was $2.1M.

Screendaily.com reports Up has risen to $168.9M overseas. So that puts it at $459.5M global now as of this past Sunday.

SCREENDAILY.com:

“Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures International’s Pixar release Up added $8.6m from 2,576 screens in 32 territories for $168.9m, powered by $2m from 179 theatres in Australia where the film is playing in 40% of the nation and will reach nationwide status by September 17”

“Up took $1.6m in Brazil from 250 theatres and stayed in the top five in its sixth weekend in France as $1.6m from 270 raised the running total to $34.7m, which is roughly 30% higher than the entire run of Wall-E”

But as repeatedly stated by me, it’s not in the same category in France as the Rat was. And that wasn’t a very good opening in Brazil, maybe those are early numbers, I was hoping it will do a total of over $10M there.

Thanks DHoSW for all the updates on Up (I’ve been too busy/lazy this time around to do all the checking myself, so really appriciate your posts). Domestically, it’s still playing (I went again a few days ago – that’s twice over the past two weeks – this time to take a six-year-old) and though it was a discount afternoon showing on a holiday weekend, it was still about 1/3rd to 1/2 full). Of course there’s not many screens left, but it still did manage to cross over to the $290m mark domestically ($290,866,563 is the latest count from boxofficemojo), putting it the #2 Pixar domestically (behind only Nemo).

Hopefully it continues to do well in Australia and the other overseas markets…

Always good to read these DarkHand, you work your tail off on this! Thanks again and again for the updates!

Hi there miafka. Btw the Wall-E forum lives on!

From Screendaily.com:

" Up added $8.4m from 3,114 screens in 21 territories for $181.3m. The film expands into German-speaking Europe next weekend, when it will reach the full ... Australia ...already #1 and added $2.4m from 242 screens for $4.8m.  Up also ranked number one in Brazil where $1.5m .. raised the tally to $5m. After 7 weeks the film has amassed $32.3m in Spain... France has generated $36.2m, and the Greek $875,000 debut ... was the biggest Disney/Pixar launch ever.

District 9 … opened top in Spain on $2.9m…

Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs added $4.8m in Italy to …$34.3m. The animated behemoth has amassed a staggering $670.2m internationally.

Box office Global, Sep 04-06:

* 1The Final Destination ($30m)
* 2Inglourious Basterds ($29.9m)
* 3District 9 ($14.3m)
* 6Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaur ($11.9m)
* 8Up ($10.1m)"

So Up has fallen in Spain even further, it was #2 there last week, with Dist9’s entry. Also, I included the IA3 chatter to point out that later this week this movie, at around $860M, will actually pass Finding Nemo globally to move into 2nd place behind Shrek2. This animated feature will likely end up as the #2 movie of 2009 in the world. Who would have guessed after actually seeing it on opening nite?

Up domestic is now $291.4M on 366 screens, on quite a good week of nearly a half million.

Up is currently the 6th biggest film, worldwide, of 2009, and with opening markets will slide into 4th place in a few weeks. The 3 films ahead of it are really not even in the same ballpark.

Up was released in one of the world’s top 5 markets this weekend, Germany, and went into full release in Australia, apparently in time for a school holiday, and soared to the top of the overseas chart. Of course, here in the U.S., the breadwinner got several times more. Anyways, Up is nearing $200M overseas. If it can double that by early next year largely depends on its reception in Japan and Britain. Here is the news from screendaily.com:

screendaily.com/news/up-flie … 91.article

***still writing this, looking for reaction from German sites. And come to think of it, haven’t read much of a reaction to the movie on Australian sites yet. Here we go with more info about the release in Germany:

hollywoodreporter.com/hr/con … 7b7bf87c75

Apparently, sunny weather isn’t all that common in central Europe, so the natives take advantage of it along with their families. Because of this I think that Up was not #1 in Germany. Some national film was 1st place there with $5.3M.

They say that Disney is expecting Up to pass Ratatouille’s foreign take. We won’t know this until January. It’s a tall order given it was a smash in the continental Euro countries.

stands up and applauds

Absolutely awesome. Germany and Australia knows a good film when the see one apparently, this put a big smile on my face. Excellent, simply excellent.

It is a bit disappointing, though, that Up didn’t open at the top spot in Germany.
Actually the two screenings I went to last weekend had a really tiny crowd (less than ten people sitting in front of a huge Cinerama screen, it was weird).
Nevertheless, the second screening was one of my best cinema experiences ever.
I for one will certainly be back next weekend for two more flights to [spoil]“America, but south”[/spoil] - as for those who don’t care, it’s certainly their loss. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, the box in Germany was mediocre, as it was a few weeks ago in Brazil. Even its performance in France was half of that Rat and IA3. Perhaps it might pick up next week. Was it in some sort of limited release in Germany, cuz the # of theaters wasn’t that high. That’s very odd that so few people were in attendance at that one showing, sounds more like what you see at a critically appraised arts film. Here is what they are saying at another website about this:

Jiffy208 wrote:
“That opening in Germany for Up isn’t on Ratatouille/Nemo levels, but it’s comparable to The Incredibles/Wall-E thanks to 3D. Still, from what I’ve gathered, it was beaten by the 2nd weekend pull of what would be comparable to the live-action adaptation of “Scooby Doo” over here.”

Dr. Lector wrote:
“Yeah, admissions-wise it is a very very disappointing opening. Around 450,000 estimated admissions. That’s ONE-THIRD of Ratatouille’s opening and also behind WALL-E’s (at least somewhat ahead of Cars’). Still, this is a disappointment. It was just the wrong time to open it. They should have waited 3-4 more weeks.”

I was able to find so many sites in France and Spain and Latin America cuz I know both these languages, but have no knowledge of German. So I have no translated links to German media reviews.

Anyways, with what rachelcakes1985 has come up with and an article I came across from the Sydney Morning Herald, posted in the Australian release thread, it seems the critics are very happy there too.

Domestic box is $291.8M now, Up is #24 on the charts which is almost irrelevant. World gross is $488M. Wall-E didn’t pass the 500 mark until its last release country: Japan.

Up has done well this week overseas. Remember that it is past summer in Europe, where most of the box is now being generated. The two other main countries are equatorial. It made about half a million in the U.S. Here is the overseas report from screendaily.com, which confuses me a bit, seems that Up really isn’t the #1 film overseas, even tho they say it is:

Disney/Pixar’s Up stays aloft overseas with $12.3m haul

28 September, 2009 | By Jeremy Kay

"Disney/Pixar’s Up led Hollywood’s international pack at the weekend with a $12.3m estimated gross that raised the tally to $215.4m with the UK to come on October 9. …Up raised its worldwide running total to more than $500m. …held on to number one in its second weekend in Germany after a mere 10% drop added $4.3m from 880 for $10.7m heading into two weeks of school holidays. Oktoberfest?

Up stayed top for the fourth weekend in Australia, adding $3.1m from 273 after a 6% climb to bring the tally to $13.4m. The film ranked number one in Norway on $825,000 … the top title in Brazil for the fourth weekend as $857,000 boosted the tally to $8.1m.

(Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs took $4.9m on 1,375 screens in 26 markets for an early $13.3m running total.)

Box office Global: Sep 18-20 (last weekend)

* 1Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs ($35.3m)
* 2The Founding Of The Republic ($18.2m)
* 3Inglourious Basterds ($15.7m)
* 4Up ($15m)"

So maybe they consider this Pixar film to be a Hollywood movie and the Cloudy movie isn’t? I’m confused as to why they are calling it some sort of leader. Anyways, the tie-ins to school recesses are working in Australia and Germany is next to prove the movie’s staying power. The # of screens there went from 625 to the 880 listed above, which may be why it didn’t do so well there last weekend.

Further edit: Up after 60 days is still #8 in Spain. It’s #2 in Austria and #1 in New Zealand, raking in $1.3M so far in both locations.

Also I noticed that Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure, the 2nd in the series (the first was released direct to dvd just before Wall-E’s dvd) has been released in Chile, while TS1+2 in 3-D is #3 in the U.S. for the first weekend in October.

This from ScreenDaily.com: “Pixar’s Up grossed a further $10.6m from 3,579 sites in 27 territories for $231m, adding $3.4m in Germany from 860 for $14.1m after three and staying top in Australia, where $2.6m from 279 raised the tally after five to $18.4m. …opened top in Denmark on $1m or the best Pixar launch in history and in Brazil, $821,000 pushed the tally up to $9.3m after five weekends. Norway delivered a number one hold on $690,000…”

So it’s up to $523M now, just before what could be its 2nd biggest launch. Nice to see how Australia likes the movie. It was pushed out of the top spot in Germany by The Ugly Truth. Domestic has inched up to $292.4M.

Lol, I hope it keeps going up, unlike Wall-E dvd sales which fell by over 2 Million last X-mas due to some glitch or over-reporting.

Keep going up!

This is EPIC! Five weeks in a row in Oz, even with staged releases? :open_mouth: Probably due to the lack of competition, but this is almost legendary and Dark-Knight staying power-level! Two weeks is considered quite an achievement in the movie industry, but one whole month and then some? :smiley:

Come on Aussies, let’s see if we can push this sucker for a sixth straight!

Wow, the Aussies know a fantastic film when they see one! Keep going! :wink:

Not surprising since it made $40M+ for 4 weeks straight in the U.S. (Transf2 fell sharply and could only achieve this level for 3 weeks, HPotter only 2 weeks, then people found out how blah these films were and word-of-mouth kept the crowds away) Now Ice Age 3, released during the mid-summer hauled in $25M in 7 weeks Down Under, so Up is having a comparable performance to the behemoth. Too bad it was knocked out in Germany due to a big promotion of a lousy movie starring Gerard Butler and that blond lady in Knocked Up (The Ugly Truth tm rating: 15%!). Hopefully, those Incongruous Basterds will return the 999 red balloons movie to its rightful place!

Lousy movie/big promotion/lots of €€€ - why do I not have a surprised feeling?

I wonder what it takes to lure those poor souls who went to see The Ugly Truth instead of Up into seeing the best film of the year instead next time.
[spoil]Tennis balls? Or maybe Chocolate?[/spoil] :wink:

Ok, big, big week for our movie!! Here is the weekly $$Update from Screendaily.com, with my comments in parentheses and italics:

Up flies high above studio pack with $21m overseas haul By Jeremy Kay

"Walt Disney’s …Up …an estimated $21m haul that boosted the running total to $257.1m.(overseas, and $549.6M global)

Active on 3,500 screens in 25 markets, Up led the way with a mighty number one debut in the UK that delivered $9.7m (£6.1m) from 550 screens in what is the biggest animated launch of the year-to-date. The Disney/Pixar release remains potent in Germany after one month of release and ranks third on $3.2m from 680 for $20.3m. (this rank is open to dispute, the #1 film there was a local release, Mannerherzen, at $3.5M)

In Australia, it took … Couples Retreat to edge Up out of the number one slot after a magnificent five-week reign – the longest since The Dark Knight… added $1.8m …for a memorable $20.5m and has grossed more than 30% more than Wall-E.( a scurrilous event but has nonetheless added to the coffers for Wall-E2: Rise of the Machines)

Up launched top in (Benelux) for $2.3m …and followed up last weekend’s record debut in Denmark with a $745,000 number one hold …that raised the tally to $2.1m. Up touches down next weekend in Italy, Hungary, Turkey, Sweden and Poland…

The Ugly Truth …added $2.5m in Germany from 513 for second place …"

DHOSW: So Up has now roared past last year’s Wall-E globally, and is on track with my prediction of a final $698M. Only the major nations of Germany, Mexico and Russia have been less than glowing. It was barely beat out in The Netherlands by a local release. Those 5 new countries next week added $22.5M to Wall-E and will likely add $30M to Up’s coffers.

And here is this interesting info from TheHollywoodReporter: “The U.K. gross for “Up” …beat the comparable market opening grosses of Pixar predecessors “Wall-E” (by 39%) and “Ratatouille” (by 41%), Disney said. “Up’s” cume makes it 2009’s fifth biggest boxoffice hit overseas and the year’s No. 1 original title.”

It will end up as the 4th highest box eventually, unless Astro Boy or some other fall release is an even bigger smash hit. And I really do like the sound of that: the year’s #1 original title…

I’m pleased it’s doing well over here! I admit, I was a little worried when I went to see it on opening day and the cinema was only half-full at best, but it might’ve been the time that I went to see it, I guess most waited to watch it in the evening.

Thanks for all of these updates that you’ve been doing since the original release of Up, DarkHandOfSigourneyWeaver! It’s been very interesting to track Up’s success in different countries, and if I’m honest, if you hadn’t posted about it here I probably would never have found out for myself.

And I agree, “the year’s number one original title” does sound very good indeed.