Up Soundtrack

Hrmm, I really hope there’s some way I can order that, they should have just released it on CD in the U.S. totally insane.

I am pretty certain the situation in Japan is the same as everywhere else, i.e. you can get this as digital download only.

配信限定アルバム is translated by babelfish as “Transmission limited album”, so I guess the proper translation is “Download-only album”.

The same stupidity also applies to the soundtrack of “A Christmas Carol”, as you can see here and here.

So this is it, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the funeral of the physical Disney soundtrack CD - it died a horrible, premature death. :cry:

EDIT:
Ok, maybe the corpse is still twitching, as there is a physical CD of “The Princess and the Frog”, but it seems pretty clear which way this is going.

It’s not looking good for a physical CD from Up. Two sources say there won’t be a CD. One from my local Disney Store and the other one from a Disney Fan magazine. Both sources have a lot goods for Up but NOT a CD.

I’m betting Japan will make a last stand and argue for a CD soundtrack from Up because of the messy translations.

It seems that at least two different versions of the soundtrack have been released in the physical format, although none of them are available to general public.

First is the ‘For Your Consideration’ CD which is given to members of the Academy to promote the score in the ‘Best Original Score’ category.

01 - Movietown Newsreel Source (01:58)
02 - Up With Titles (00:53)
03 - Ellie Mental (00:30)
04 - We’re In The Club Now (00:44)
05 - The Adventures Of A Lifetime (01:34)
06 - Married Life (04:10)
07 - Hustle And Russell (02:13)
08 - Carl Goes Postal (01:12)
09 - Resigned And Reminded (01:14)
10 - 9,999,999 Luftballoons (A.K.A. Carl Goes Up) (03:12)
11 - Cumulonincompoop (01:03)
12 - 52 Chachki Pickup (01:15)
13 - Little House On The Prayer-Rie (00:18)
14 - The Housing Decline (01:29)
15 - Paradise Found (01:03)
16 - Walkin’ The House (01:03)
17 - Three Dog Dash (00:51)
18 - Russell Likes A Fine Whine (00:55)
19 - Snipe Tracks (00:06)
20 - Giant Snipe (00:22)
21 - Kevin Beak’n (01:14)
22 - Approval From Above (00:40)
23 - Dug The Birdie Hunter (01:18)
24 - Scent On A Mission (00:44)
25 - Dogged Determination (00:45)
26 - Ditch And Moon (00:33)
27 - Cross My Heart (01:08)
28 - Kevin’s A Girl! (00:31)
29 - Canine Conundrum (02:03)
30 - The Nickel Tour (00:52)
31 - Spirit Of Adventure Source (01:12)
32 - Dining Room Source (01:50)
33 - The Explorer Motel (01:26)
34 - Escape From Muntz Mountain (02:43)
35 - Can’t We Help Her Get Home (00:59)
36 - Giving Muntz The Bird (01:58)
37 - Welcome To Paradise (00:44)
38 - Home Sweet Home (00:38)
39 - Stuff We Did (02:13)
40 - Russell To The Rescue (00:18)
41 - Memories Can Weigh You Down (01:22)
42 - The Small Mailman Returns (01:41)
43 - Going Back For Kevin (01:41)
44 - He’s Got The Bird (00:30)
45 - Geriatric Dogfight (03:34)
46 - Seizing The Spirit Of Adventure (01:58)
47 - It’s Just A House (01:59)
48 - The Ellie Badge (01:30)
49 - Up With End Credits (04:56)
50 - The Spirit Of Adventure (01:44)

Second, as Pixar has done several times before, they created a ‘Cast and Crew’ CD for the people who worked on the film. According to reports this CD contains 51 tracks instead of the 50 from the FYC CD. As of the moment I don’t have a track listing.

They actually added a Nena reference, who would’ve thought… :mrgreen:

I love those titles. xD Cumulonincompoop xDDD

Holy cow, why didn’t they include this in the main soundtrack? Make a 2 or 3 disc one, SERIOUSLY! I was wondering where a lot of those little parts went, such as when Carl [spoil]pulls the house by himself with Russell’s carabiner dragging behind and the short part when he fixes up his living room[/spoil] This seems to be every single bit from the movie, including when Kevin first stands up, that’s 6 seconds!

“Disc” being the important word here (yes, I am probably repeating myself, but rightfully so).
I think there’s more reason to envy the Academy and crew members who got one of those because they got this on CD than because of the additional tracks.

Awww, I can’t believe we missed out on ALL these tracks. And the song names are way better. :stuck_out_tongue: I hope they release all of these one way or another.

Sigh.
Well, maybe someone here will get their hands on either CD. Heck, I played in the orchestra for the movie, and even I can’t get a physical CD of the soundtrack (the Cast & Crew CDs aren’t for the orchestra… we got signed posters instead).

And yes, the titles with Team Giacchino are always great. Plenty of puns (sometimes even double puns).

Rey: thanks for the continuing updates from Japan. It’s a shame it doesn’t look likely, but who knows, maybe they’ll come to their senses. Appriciate you keeping us all updated!

On the plus side, they’re giving out “For Your Consideration” CDs to the Academy members. Come on, Oscar voters, there’s your winner, right there!

I still don’t understand why they didn’t release the complete soundtrack to the public, since they made us download it anyway. I understand time limits on a CD, but what difference could it make with a download?

There are some interesting differences in the track list, looking at the lengths of some cuts: It looks like the “Seizing the Spirit of Adventure” track on the public release has been split into “Geriatric Dogfight” and “Seizing…” on the Academy CD. The “Spirit of Adventure” song is about 45 seconds longer on the public release than the Academy CD, which suggests that the Academy version is the truncated/rearranged version from the movie credits (I’m so glad we got the whole song on the download). The “End Credits” music is also about 2:42 minutes longer on the public release - after I got the BR, I realized that there’s music in the “End Credits” download track that wasn’t actually used in the movie - again, I’m glad to have the longer version.

One difference between the movie and the soundtrack: On the soundtrack, “Memories Can Weigh You Down” and “The Small Mailman Returns,” because they are 2 separate tracks, have a break between them, but in the movie, the music segues straight from one into the next - I really like how the music flows there, in the movie, and wish they’d treated those two cuts as one on the soundtrack, so it gave the same effect.

Maybe when Mr. G wins his Oscar for this, they’ll put out some more complete version of the score, even if it’s (again) just for download.

This is great news! There are some sweet cues in the movie that didn’t make it to the standard OST. They should be great to hear on the extended edition. Yesssss, they even have the “Newsreel” music. I don’t know how I’m going to get my mitts on those tracks, but rest assured, if I do, I will let you all know about it and PM it to you. When there’s a will, there’s a way guys. :slight_smile:

The Ratatouille C & C CD popped up on eBay a few times a couple of years ago, but now that I think about it, they were probably counterfeit because they didn’t come with the cover. The FYC CDs that I’ve seen on eBay have been the real deal, but be prepared to pay. (And when you do get it, make a copy for Rachel, your buddy-ol-pal, won’t ya?)

If any Pixarians (or anyone) are reading this and could supply me a copy of the Up cast and crew tracks and/or the FYC tracks, I would be forever grateful, and your identity will remain a secret. My email is rachel AT pixarplanet DOT com.

Yeah, they did this with the music in The Incredibles, too. “Kronos Unveiled” if memory serves.

I still don’t understand why they didn’t release the complete soundtrack to the public, since they made us download it anyway.

Because companies never want to give away more than they have to.
Reminds me of that old cliche about the way lawyers want their clients to talk: if someone asks another person “do you know what time it is?” normally that other person would answer “It’s 12:30.” But a lawyer would say no, you’re supposed to answer just “Yes.” Never give away more than you have to, right? That sadly seems to be the default position of any company in the business – I’m sure without even them thinking about it at this point. But you’re absolutely right – on a physical CD there are time constraints (they can’t put on more than 1 CD will hold, and issuing more than 1 CD would cost more money for extra discs and holders). But on a download-only album (especially where itunes was offering extras like videos and pictures) why not include most of the tracks? There’s no reason not to. But it doesn’t even enter anyone’s thinking to do so.

As far as the lengths goes, yes, I’m not surprised there are differences. Often for the official soundtracks, if a cue is long, they’ll “end it for the CD” (sometimes even editing it a bit, to give it an ending) but if it’s raw versions of the cues on that CD then it would be the original cues that keep going and might have a different length. Also, it’s very common for different cues to be either joined together or spliced. You often see music that might read “3M22/23” which would mean they printed two cues (3M22 and 3M23 in this example) that go one right after the other on the same page, and we’ll typically record it all at once. They may (or may not) chop it up for the CD. On the flip side, if a cue is long, they might chop up “3M15” (or whatever) into more than one cue, giving it different English titles for the soundtrack CD (ie, “Joe Goes to the Store” followed by “Joe Buys Ice Cream”). Probably on these FYC CDs it’s the raw version of the recorded cues. Editing like this happens all the time, even for the movie. For instance, that “Spirit of Adventure” song, you can hear the whole song on the released soundtrack, but in the movie, you only hear about half of it.

I think it’d be really cool for it to become standard practice to simply release all the cues from a movie – the entire soundtrack. There’s no reason not to in an age where it seems to be shifting all to download. After all, when you buy a movie, does the DVD only come with selected scenes? Even on the short incidental cues, there’s some good stuff there, and often cues get covered up with dialogue or SFX in the final mix (don’t get me started). Unless you played it, you wouldn’t even be aware of cool stuff going on in the music a bunch of times…

Maybe when Mr. G wins his Oscar for this,

That’d be nice (and richly deserved).

Yeah, or if the movie studios don’t want to release every cue on a CD, then they should at least have a soundtrack-only feature for the DVD. It wouldn’t be that hard to do and some DVDs do have this feature.

It’s ok everyone! I got a copy of the For Your Consideration CD! We aren’t allowed to post links to material that isn’t ours on this forum, but if you would like me to private message you the link, just give me a holla. But only if you vote in the Pixar Planet awards first! (Naw, just kidding. :slight_smile:)

I love the choppy editing of the music for the first track (the newsreel sequence), lol. 8D The way they flattened the music is a great effect, too. What is everyone’s favourite track on the extended edition CD?

EDIT: I had to edit my post because people were messaging and emailing me asking me for the C&C CD, when I only have the FYC CD. Which is fine, I really don’t mind sharing the soundtracks, I just don’t want to give the wrong information. I also have other Pixar C&C CDs if you’re interested. You can email me at rachel AT pixarplanet DOT com and I’ll send you a link to them. :wink:

Actually, most (if not all) Cast and Crew CD’s that have been released by Pixar and Disney so far have no cover, the compact discs themselves are picture discs. I have the original Finding Nemo and Ratatouille Cast and Crew CD’s and both have no cover but are original CD’s (no CD-R). Same for the ‘Meet The Robinsons’ Cast and Crew CD from Disney. I had to fork out quite a few bucks though… :blush:

What are the messy translations?

Miafka, thanks for your post - very informative. I always appreciate reading your insights.

I agree with Rachel, I really wish they’d released the DVD/BR with a “music/score only” audio option. That would have been fun.

Rachel, one messed Up translation I’m referring to surrounds this Up movie leaflet. My friend has this movie flier and it is written CD soundtrack for the movie Up in Japanese, but there is no mention you have to burn the music on a CD.
allcinema.net/prog/image_lar … 4%D6%B2%C8

I have never seen this first movie leaflet. There are newer leaflets of Up, but there is no mention of any music from Up in the newer leaflets. Anyways, I do believe my friends story is true, about a one word missed translation album, because he translates movie CD soundtracks from English into Japanese for a living. We talk a lot about movie soundtracks in Japan and my friend was fuming when there wouldn’t be a physical CD from Up in Japan even though the first movie flier says there would be a physical CD that you can buy from stores.

Another messed Up translation is from this website from Disney. It says there will be a CD, but there is no mention of burning an Up soundtrack onto a CD.
disney.co.jp/records/album_info/533.html

However, this website says you can have an Up soundtrack on CD, but you have to burn the music onto a recordable CD. It’s not from AVEX or Disney by the way. It looks more professional than the Disney website.
listen.jp/store/album_xxxxn2922.htm

For me, I don’t like the CD wording on the Disney website. I don’t know about any other countries meaning, but in Japan CD means CD like you get from the Disney store. Or album means album like from a physical vinyl or CD album which my friend is mad about.

The only track missing from the extended edition is Michael Giacchino’s version of the music from Carmen. Oh well. I really like “The Adventures of a Lifetime” and “The Housing Decline”. I haven’t listened to all of the soundtrack, though. It practically goes for the whole length of the film (not that I’m complaining. :wink:)

miafka, what’s the instrument used for those noises in “The Housing Decline”, do you remember? Or are those effects added in post? The first noise plays around the 2 second mark, and then again at 11 seconds. They sound really cool.

Ok, thanks for the explanation, Rey-chan. You’re right. It is misleading for the websites and fliers to advertise the Up soundtrack, but to make no mention that it will not be a physical copy, especially when the assumption would that it would be, like past Pixar soundtrack releases.

With one week to go before the Oscars, Michael dropped by the local classical music station to give an indepth interview, talking about Up’s score. The podcast is online now.
kusc.podbean.com/category/jim-svejda-interviews/

(It’s currently the top of the list for the podcast… if you’re reading this a few weeks later after me posting this, you may have to scroll down a bit. It’s the podcast for Feb 25th 2010).

Enjoy