Up Soundtrack

I loved the music in the trailers, it’s too bad that it wasn’t used in the movie. :\

Yeah, I was dissapointed that wasn’t in there! Oh well! I guess you can only have so many songs on there.

As I think someone else already noted on here, though, since the soundtrack was a download only (no physical CD sold in stores), why couldn’t they have released more of/all of the music?

Maybe because more tracks would mean more production time, but thinking about that point makes me more bitter at stupid decisions like this. :angry:

I went for Trip #6 today. I’ve been listening to the soundtrack “album” a lot lately, and seeing the movie again today made me very aware of how much of the score is NOT on the soundtrack release. Come on, guys, if you’re going to make us download it, at least give us the whole thing!

It also made me aware again of how utterly fantastically wonderful the score is! I am going to be disappointed beyond all measure if this doesn’t win the Oscar next year.

Waiting for the CD. If the CD does not come out, I will not be getting the soundtrack. Because I use the CD’s in my home music system, car and pc computer. If I want to purchase a non physical soundtrack, I could wait for the pirate versions which would surely pop up. BUT, being the boy scout I am, I will hopefully not be tempted to do so. I think this is one of the most stupid ideas of marketing yet, right up with not doing much of anything else in marketing with this particular franchise. Love Pixar tremendously, but someone screwed the pooch on these decisions.

Hope they reverse the decision, I have every other past Pixar soundtrack in my collection, was really looking forward to getting this one as well.

I’m actually surprised that Pixar is marketing everything so lightly on this movie, I mean it’s turned into the 2nd highest grossing movie to date from them, they could make a fortune marketing it. That, and I just really really want stuff from it considering it’s become my favorite movie of all time.

I agree that it’s a terrible decision to do digital only. I want a hard copy, something physical to say that I actually have it. Up was the first movie I’ve watched where the soundtrack actually stood out to me, I noticed it, and wanted to hear more of it.

I think there are probably a couple of reasons Pixar didn’t market Up more heavily. I think there is generally a lot more caution these days (and not just with Pixar) over putting out a lot of toys/collectibles/movie merchandise, maybe even moreso in the current economy where people may not have as much disposable income for such things. And I’ve seen news stories lately about the “financial analyst” types who didn’t expect “Up” to do so well, since it looked like a tough sell on paper (“cartoon” with an old man as the hero???), so they may have feared there wasn’t enough of a market for “Up” merchandise.

My disappointment is, from what I’ve seen, there’s not an “Up” themed Hallmark Christmas ornament - I don’t know if there’s still time for that to change this year. (They are doing a “Bolt” ornament this year, a whole year after the movie, so maybe next year, once they feel certain they can sell them, we’ll get something for “Up.”)

I’m still expecting the Up DVD/Blu Ray to be out in the US in November; I wonder if there might be more merchandise released in connection with that, since it will be closer to the holiday shopping season.

The lack of a “hard copy” CD of the score is still a bummer. I wonder, if it - make that when it gets an Oscar nomination, if that would make them reconsider.

I had a question for anyone who has both the Up Soundtrack as well as that Disney/Pixar’s Greatest CD: is the version of “Carl Goes Up” featured on that Disney/Pixar CD the same version as the version (“Carl Goes Up”) featured on the Up (donwloadable) Soundtrack?

The other day I walked past a Disney store and while going inside for a bit to look around, noticed that “Greatest” CD for sale. As mentioned earlier here (with an article in the LA Times about it) that’s the cue that was re-done at the very end to better match the scene (very well, I might add)… and the version that’s on the Up (downloadable) soundtrack is the final version heard in the movie. But seeing that “Greatest” CD got me to thinking… didn’t that CD come out kind of early? Or was it only advertised early? If it actually came out kind of early, then the version on that CD might be the first version (later discarded) of this cue. I don’t have that CD and didn’t want to spend $19 to find out, so was just curious… if anyone has both the “Greatest” CD as well as the “Up” downloadable soundtrack, if it’s the same version of the cue used in both. It probably is, but seeing it in the store, I just remember seeing it advertised early (when we were all waiting for info on the actual Up soundtrack) and just got me to wondering that if it came out early enough (I don’t know if it did or not) then it might have the other version on it…

miafka: I believe the two are alike, and the CD was advertised really early, but I remember getting the CD after I bought the soundtrack. I can send you the songs over Skype (if you have an account) if you’d like to compare, but I think they’re the same.

They’re exactly the same tracks. Woulda been cool to hear a different arrangement of “Carl Goes Up” but oh well.

i sure hope Up’s soundtrack gets on CD. i am so getting it if it does. it was soooo beautiful! i listen to it on the internet all the time!

K9Girl: I think a physical CD release is pretty much dead at this point.
EMI Germany, who do the Disney soundtrack releases over here told me there were no plans for a CD release (or at least CD-quality downloads for that matter).
Convenience has beaten quality. That’s what this looks like to me.

But I am really tempted to add a little comment about this situation to the book being assembled for the ‘Up Tour 2009’.

crashes the party late

So… my favourite tracks on this soundtrack are:

[spoil]- “52 Chiaki Pickup”

• “Paradise Found”
  • “Kevin Beak’n”
  • “Canine Conundrum” (I really like music that feels not-quite-right)
  • “Seizing the Spirit of Adventure”[/spoil]

As well as the main Up/[spoil]“Married Life”[/spoil] theme and any music that is the arrangement of that. Too bad Michael Giacchino’s version of the [spoil]music from Carmen[/spoil] isn’t on the soundtrack. Up Cast and Crew CD, anyone???

A quick internet search will find that this could be who you would contact about the soundtrack not being released on actual CD…

[spoil]Walt Disney Records,
maria.kleinman@disney.com[/spoil]

It was on an article, that address. If you are going to write though, keep things calm, to the point, and sensible. No rants. They will just junk your name otherwise.

Mods, feel free to remove this if you think it shouldn’t be here…

The juicy gossip in Japan of getting a physical CD of UP is 50/50. So the story goes like this, AVEX, who has the rights to sell the UP soundtrack in Japan, translated album to CD. You can download an album of music on the internet nowadays, but AVEX translated directly album into CD and wrote the word CD down on this movie flier for UP. You can’t get these movie fliers anymore. They cost around $20.00 at auction sites in Japan. They were given free in movie theaters.
allcinema.net/prog/image_lar … 4%D6%B2%C8

The updated UP movie fliers looks like these with no mention of AVEX making a CD.
images.google.co.jp/imglanding?i … t=334&um=1

images.google.co.jp/imglanding?i … t=211&um=1

The Japanese audiophiles will wait for UP to be nominated for Best Soundtrack at the Oscars and if there aren’t any CD’s for UP, then “near riot” will start. These are not my words in quotes, but I’m just quoting someone else in the music business in Japan, that’s all.

Sweet! But, is there any chance they release the soundtrack worldwide?

カールじいさんの空飛ぶ家 = Carl old man flying house. = LOL!

No offense. :smiley:

And wow! I love the poster! Why didn’t Disney release that poster!

That poster is fantastic. But technically it’s not canon to the movie, because Russell would be on the porch or somewhere near the porch at that point, and if he saw Carl on the porch he’d probably yell for him immediately. ;-p

So, they might release a soundtrack in Japan? I’d be tempted to import it if they do. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, I love the JP Name for Up, Grandpa Carl’s Flying House. The Poster is excellent as well, I need one! (the one of him on the porch, the other one is meh)

They BETTER get the soundtrack, and I’m gonna get a copy!

Thanks again Rey, you always have super-informative posts! :wink:

Thanks Rey, for the information and posters.
Hopefully a CD will come out, even if it’s in Japan!