Up Soundtrack

Great post and links, Rey. Thanks!

Nice posters… though I don’t see “3D” anywhere on the Japanese ones.
Does anyone know if a 3D version will show in Japan? Actually, have any cinemas in Japan converted to 3D yet? With all the 3D fare coming out from all the studios, I’d be surprised if at least some cinemas there weren’t 3D ready… but if so, why no mention for Up? Oh, and nice title they chose: Grandpa Carl’s Flying House (the kanjis on the 2nd line are for: sky, flying, and house/family). I see the release date is 12-5, which is good… nice and early, so there’s more time before the end of New Years holiday. Hopefully it will do well at the box office.

As far as a CD being issued, we’ll have to wait and see I suppose. Japanese video releases tend to include extras, so who knows, there might be a “special edition” DVD release later on with a CD (even though there wasn’t one in the US), but even if a standalone CD was to be released, it wouldn’t be that difficult for people to buy it from Japan if they really wanted it. There are plenty of stores and ways to purchase items such as movies and CDs sold in Japan, it just takes a little work (one way would be through Amazon Japan, which anyone even outside of Japan can join, though there are certainly many other stores that will send Japanese books, DVDs and CDs overseas). If there is a Japanese bookstore in your country (such as Kinokuniya, which is in the US, Singapore, and many other countries) you can eaisly order CDs through them once it’s released in Japan. So if one were to be released, it might take a little work, and would definitely cost a bit, but you could get it.

You know, AVEX is a pretty big outfit… do they offer a download service for their CDs as well, or just a physical CD up to this point? It’ll be interesting to watch and see what happens. But thanks for the tip, and keep keeping us informed. Much appriciated!

Woah, stretchy page!

The Japanese always seem to get limited-edition soundtrack releases that other countries don’t get. I think it’s because they are more soundtrack connoisseurs than in the US. I hope that it is released on a CD in Japan. I suspect it will sell out due to many fans ordering from outside Japan. Very pretty poster! Make sure to keep us updated on the sitch, Rey, and thanks!

What do youse guys think of Composing for Characters? MAJOR SPOILERS IN THAT ONE. Of course, anyone who knows me knows how much I like seeing orchestras play, especially for music that I like, but my favourite moment by far in that featurette is at the beginning when Pete Docter imitates the variability of the news reel music. “Dun-duh-dee-ooo-reeeh-ooo-” 8D

Jiminy Crickets, that music box! I want one of those things and the piece of paper with the notation for the Up music. Seeing the repetitive build up of the music (called an ostinato - thanks Mikey G.!) being played from that simple theme was great, too.

Wow, thanks for the link to “Composing for Characters.” That was great! (Is this going to be on the Blu-Ray? That title is listed among the bonus features.) Agreed, I love Pete Docter explaining the newsreel music, and the music box. I also loved MG’s comment (I won’t get it exactly right) about [spoil]when Muntz starts to show his dark side, how his theme goes into minor key and makes the audience go “Oh, that’s not good…”[/spoil]

Good lord, THANK YOU Rachel for finding that video! By the way, check out Pete himself playing the cello at 3:38 (Holy cow, that’s awesome!) I can’t watch these featurettes without tearing up at some point, seriously. Everything about this film just GETS to me! The music is one of the strongest points, by far. It’s so emotional, so beautiful, so rich, so expressive, so enthralling, it’s incredible!

Seriously, thanks a ton Rachel, I love this video.

EDIT: Geez, every time I see a new feature or something about this movie, I flip my freaking lid. I cried, screamed, and just could not sit still while watching that feature, it’s incredible! Up wins in my world. Seriously.

Super spoiler warnings though, a lot of the movie is shown. Watch the movie first you guys!

Actually it’s double bass, but you’re close :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s a very nice short that shows video of both the earlier and later sessions on the movie (though most is from the final sessions). The shot of Mr. Doctor playing bass was from the very last session we had – a fix session called to re-do the cue where [spoil]Carl’s house first floats up into the sky.[/spoil]. He came out to play with us for a bit for fun (as he plays the bass), then went back into the booth. The re-do of this cue (and the reason for re-doing it) was previously mentioned in an interesting LA Times article, and also here on PP, either in the Soundtrack or the Up Tempo threads (I forget), but if you look closely at the video at 4:09 you can see the cue on a cellist’s music stand says “2M14 Rev.” [14th music cue in reel 2] – with the “Rev.” meaning “Revised” because it was replacing the original version of that cue we had recorded on an earlier session. At 5:55 you can see Tim Simonec (Michael’s main arranger and conductor) conducting us. At 5:57 you can hear the booth say “5M55, take 451.” That “Take 451” tells you it’s one of the last days (by that point there had been 450 “takes” of music for the movie recorded). At 6:14 you can briefly see the screen behind the orchestra where the movie is projected as we play. I know I’ve posted this elsewhere but for those who missed it, the two sets of changing green numbers on the upper-right of the projected screen show the measure and beat in that measure where we’re at (you can see it change from 13-1 to 13-2 to 13-3 to 14-1, which means measure 13 beat 1, beat 2, beat 3, measure 14 beat 1, etc.) It’s also a great interview with Michael and the director. Thanks rachelcakes1985 for the link! I hope it’ll be on the normal DVD and not just the BluRay, but I guess we’ll find out soon enough…

(“Continutiy” error: note that at 1:29 in the video Michael still has his goatee, as that was at an earlier session. It suddenly “disappears” after he shaved it off later on).

Oh, you’re welcome guys, but I wouldn’t have known about Composing for Characters if miafka hadn’t told me. I honestly would have liked CFC to have shown more tracks played by the orchestra, moooooore! So I hope the Up DVD has another different featurette of the music.

I so totally hope they get their act together and release the CD in Japan.
If that happens, I already know what I (and several friends and relatives) will get as a Christmas present. :mrgreen:

This just got posted Up on the Disney website in Japan. It’s very confusing. It has no price and it went on sale Octeber 28th. There is a CD disc one and the same music from the CD can be downloaded. You can download the music for a limited time. I don’t know what V.A. means. There is no CD on Amazon Japan. I ya, don’t know what’s happenin’. Let me make some calls.
Here’s the source:
disney.co.jp/records/album_info/533.html

【CD ディスク1】 ANTMB-A0002438
[CD] ¥0(税込)
発売日:2009/10/28

• 1. Up with Titles [CD初収録] /
• 2. We’re in the Club Now [CD初収録] /
• 3. Married Life [CD初収録] /
• 4. Carl Goes Up /
• 5. 52 Chachki Pickup [CD初収録] /
• 6. Paradise Found [CD初収録] /
• 7. Walkin’ the House [CD初収録] /
• 8. Three Dog Dash [CD初収録] /
• 9. Kevin Beak’n [CD初収録] /
• 10. Canine Conundrum [CD初収録] /
• 11. The Nickel Tour [CD初収録] /
• 12. The Explorer Motel [CD初収録] /
• 13. Escape from Muntz Mountain [CD初収録] /
• 14. Giving Muntz the Bird [CD初収録] /
• 15. Stuff We Did [CD初収録] /
• 16. Memories Can Weigh You Down [CD初収録] /
• 17. The Small Mailman Returns [CD初収録] /
• 18. He’s Got the Bird [CD初収録] /
• 19. Seizing the Spirit of Adventure [CD初収録] /
• 20. It’s Just a House [CD初収録] /
• 21. The Ellie Badge [CD初収録] /
• 22. Up with End Credits [CD初収録] /
• 23. The Spirit of Adventure [CD初収録] /
• 24. Carl’s Maiden Voyage [CD初収録] /
• 25. Muntz’s Dark Reverie [CD初収録] /
• 26. Meet Kevin in the Jungle [CD初収録] /

Hrmm, I really hope there’s some way I can order that, they should have just released it on CD in the U.S. totally insane.

I am pretty certain the situation in Japan is the same as everywhere else, i.e. you can get this as digital download only.

配信限定アルバム is translated by babelfish as “Transmission limited album”, so I guess the proper translation is “Download-only album”.

The same stupidity also applies to the soundtrack of “A Christmas Carol”, as you can see here and here.

So this is it, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the funeral of the physical Disney soundtrack CD - it died a horrible, premature death. :cry:

EDIT:
Ok, maybe the corpse is still twitching, as there is a physical CD of “The Princess and the Frog”, but it seems pretty clear which way this is going.

It’s not looking good for a physical CD from Up. Two sources say there won’t be a CD. One from my local Disney Store and the other one from a Disney Fan magazine. Both sources have a lot goods for Up but NOT a CD.

I’m betting Japan will make a last stand and argue for a CD soundtrack from Up because of the messy translations.

It seems that at least two different versions of the soundtrack have been released in the physical format, although none of them are available to general public.

First is the ‘For Your Consideration’ CD which is given to members of the Academy to promote the score in the ‘Best Original Score’ category.

01 - Movietown Newsreel Source (01:58)
02 - Up With Titles (00:53)
03 - Ellie Mental (00:30)
04 - We’re In The Club Now (00:44)
05 - The Adventures Of A Lifetime (01:34)
06 - Married Life (04:10)
07 - Hustle And Russell (02:13)
08 - Carl Goes Postal (01:12)
09 - Resigned And Reminded (01:14)
10 - 9,999,999 Luftballoons (A.K.A. Carl Goes Up) (03:12)
11 - Cumulonincompoop (01:03)
12 - 52 Chachki Pickup (01:15)
13 - Little House On The Prayer-Rie (00:18)
14 - The Housing Decline (01:29)
15 - Paradise Found (01:03)
16 - Walkin’ The House (01:03)
17 - Three Dog Dash (00:51)
18 - Russell Likes A Fine Whine (00:55)
19 - Snipe Tracks (00:06)
20 - Giant Snipe (00:22)
21 - Kevin Beak’n (01:14)
22 - Approval From Above (00:40)
23 - Dug The Birdie Hunter (01:18)
24 - Scent On A Mission (00:44)
25 - Dogged Determination (00:45)
26 - Ditch And Moon (00:33)
27 - Cross My Heart (01:08)
28 - Kevin’s A Girl! (00:31)
29 - Canine Conundrum (02:03)
30 - The Nickel Tour (00:52)
31 - Spirit Of Adventure Source (01:12)
32 - Dining Room Source (01:50)
33 - The Explorer Motel (01:26)
34 - Escape From Muntz Mountain (02:43)
35 - Can’t We Help Her Get Home (00:59)
36 - Giving Muntz The Bird (01:58)
37 - Welcome To Paradise (00:44)
38 - Home Sweet Home (00:38)
39 - Stuff We Did (02:13)
40 - Russell To The Rescue (00:18)
41 - Memories Can Weigh You Down (01:22)
42 - The Small Mailman Returns (01:41)
43 - Going Back For Kevin (01:41)
44 - He’s Got The Bird (00:30)
45 - Geriatric Dogfight (03:34)
46 - Seizing The Spirit Of Adventure (01:58)
47 - It’s Just A House (01:59)
48 - The Ellie Badge (01:30)
49 - Up With End Credits (04:56)
50 - The Spirit Of Adventure (01:44)

Second, as Pixar has done several times before, they created a ‘Cast and Crew’ CD for the people who worked on the film. According to reports this CD contains 51 tracks instead of the 50 from the FYC CD. As of the moment I don’t have a track listing.

They actually added a Nena reference, who would’ve thought… :mrgreen:

I love those titles. xD Cumulonincompoop xDDD

Holy cow, why didn’t they include this in the main soundtrack? Make a 2 or 3 disc one, SERIOUSLY! I was wondering where a lot of those little parts went, such as when Carl [spoil]pulls the house by himself with Russell’s carabiner dragging behind and the short part when he fixes up his living room[/spoil] This seems to be every single bit from the movie, including when Kevin first stands up, that’s 6 seconds!

“Disc” being the important word here (yes, I am probably repeating myself, but rightfully so).
I think there’s more reason to envy the Academy and crew members who got one of those because they got this on CD than because of the additional tracks.

Awww, I can’t believe we missed out on ALL these tracks. And the song names are way better. :stuck_out_tongue: I hope they release all of these one way or another.

Sigh.
Well, maybe someone here will get their hands on either CD. Heck, I played in the orchestra for the movie, and even I can’t get a physical CD of the soundtrack (the Cast & Crew CDs aren’t for the orchestra… we got signed posters instead).

And yes, the titles with Team Giacchino are always great. Plenty of puns (sometimes even double puns).

Rey: thanks for the continuing updates from Japan. It’s a shame it doesn’t look likely, but who knows, maybe they’ll come to their senses. Appriciate you keeping us all updated!

On the plus side, they’re giving out “For Your Consideration” CDs to the Academy members. Come on, Oscar voters, there’s your winner, right there!

I still don’t understand why they didn’t release the complete soundtrack to the public, since they made us download it anyway. I understand time limits on a CD, but what difference could it make with a download?

There are some interesting differences in the track list, looking at the lengths of some cuts: It looks like the “Seizing the Spirit of Adventure” track on the public release has been split into “Geriatric Dogfight” and “Seizing…” on the Academy CD. The “Spirit of Adventure” song is about 45 seconds longer on the public release than the Academy CD, which suggests that the Academy version is the truncated/rearranged version from the movie credits (I’m so glad we got the whole song on the download). The “End Credits” music is also about 2:42 minutes longer on the public release - after I got the BR, I realized that there’s music in the “End Credits” download track that wasn’t actually used in the movie - again, I’m glad to have the longer version.

One difference between the movie and the soundtrack: On the soundtrack, “Memories Can Weigh You Down” and “The Small Mailman Returns,” because they are 2 separate tracks, have a break between them, but in the movie, the music segues straight from one into the next - I really like how the music flows there, in the movie, and wish they’d treated those two cuts as one on the soundtrack, so it gave the same effect.

Maybe when Mr. G wins his Oscar for this, they’ll put out some more complete version of the score, even if it’s (again) just for download.

This is great news! There are some sweet cues in the movie that didn’t make it to the standard OST. They should be great to hear on the extended edition. Yesssss, they even have the “Newsreel” music. I don’t know how I’m going to get my mitts on those tracks, but rest assured, if I do, I will let you all know about it and PM it to you. When there’s a will, there’s a way guys. :slight_smile:

The Ratatouille C & C CD popped up on eBay a few times a couple of years ago, but now that I think about it, they were probably counterfeit because they didn’t come with the cover. The FYC CDs that I’ve seen on eBay have been the real deal, but be prepared to pay. (And when you do get it, make a copy for Rachel, your buddy-ol-pal, won’t ya?)

If any Pixarians (or anyone) are reading this and could supply me a copy of the Up cast and crew tracks and/or the FYC tracks, I would be forever grateful, and your identity will remain a secret. My email is rachel AT pixarplanet DOT com.

Yeah, they did this with the music in The Incredibles, too. “Kronos Unveiled” if memory serves.