Up Tempo

That would be Coraline. :wink:

Yup, I use Soundtrack.net to look for a song if I don’t recognise it from the trailer. They’re pretty reliable, but since they rely on user contributions, they can be quite slow in updating. I came here hoping someone who has purchased the soundtrack can confirm whether this “Original Trailer Music” track is on the film soundtrack or available through other (legal) means. Has anyone who has listened to the entire soundtrack can confirm this? :frowning:

But thanks for the reply, Rachel! :slight_smile:

And thanks miafka for your detailed account of the production of the soundtrack. I didn’t read all of it (I’ll wait till the release of Up here before I go over it in detail), but I’m sure the rest would appreciate your effort in sharing with us the ‘behind-the-scenes’ of the music of Pixar’s newest masterpiece. :slight_smile:

OK, here’s the story on movie trailers. Most trailers are made way before the film is finished (which is why, more than occasionally, you’ll see scenes in a movie’s trailer that are later cut or never included in the actual movie). And when it comes to music in trailers, the problem is that there’s usually none available from the actual movie to use when the trailers need to be made. This is because music is one of the last things added to a movie (usually less than a month before a movie comes out) – and that’s way too late to use for trailers, which need to be made very early in the process, way before the film is finished. So let’s say you’re making a movie… what do you do for trailer music? Here are your choices:

(1) Hire an orchestra to record music specifically for your movie’s trailer, even though the movie is usually still being worked on, and none of the score has yet been written or recorded. This happens every once in a while if they have the budget for it. Sometimes the trailer music will be written by the composer attached to the film (we recorded a very early Star Trek trailer that Michael wrote to air during the Super Bowl almost a year before the score was recorded). But often when doing new music for trailers, the composer for the trailer is not the composer attached to the film, but usually either someone up-and-coming, or someone who specializes in writing music for movie trailers. A typical trailer session is a 1-hour call for the musicians (normal movie sessions will either be a 3-hour or 6-hour call per day with multiple days).

(2) Forget using new or unique music, and find some music already recorded to use on your trailer. This can be pop songs (like one of the initial Wall-E trailers), or more often than not, to use bits and pieces from previous movie scores. The trick here is to pick pieces of older movie scores that convey the emotions you want, and perhaps make it just a little familiar… but you don’t want people to recognize where it’s actually from. In other words, you don’t want to use “Star Wars” or “ET” because anyone listening would immediately think “Oh, that’s the Star Wars music…” and stop paying attention to the trailer. It should be a little familiar, but never recognizable. For instance, Randy Edelman’s “Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story” and especially Marc Shaiman’s “The American President” are two scores that I’ve heard lifted from for trailer music. Soundtrack fans out there will know many examples.

(3) Go to a company that specializes in providing music for trailers (but not written for any specific movie). This differs from #1 because #1 is creating new music specifically for your movie. But there are companies that write all kinds of stock (generic) trailer music that they will sell to anyone who wants to use it in their trailer. From what I understand, this is what Up did for the earlier trailers (someone put a link up somewhere to the company that provided the music). This music is never for sale to the general public (you won’t be able to buy it on a CD), it’s for sale only to film companies for them to use in trailers. They’ll have a vast library of music, and the filmmakers can pick and choose what music from a pre-existing library they think will work for their trailer.

So those are pretty much your choices. As far as Up goes, as far as I can remember, we never had any special trailer sessions. Initially for the early trailers (as someone else pointed out, I don’t have any firsthand knowledge) the music came from one of these trailer houses. For the later trailers, we had already recorded some of the music, so some of the trailer scenes used music from the movie’s earlier sessions (Pixar movies are unusual in that most of the time a few sessions are done early on, instead of everything at the last minute… so at least there was some music from the movie ready to go if they wanted to use it). So one of the late trailers that shows the house lifting up has some snippets of the original version of this cue (when it was “big”)… and if I remember right, was kind of a mix of stuff from the film and stuff not from the film. But the early trailers didn’t have anything from the film, and, as someone else pointed out, came from a trailer music house.

Yes, that’s Carmen, by Georges Bizet (actually, the Habanera from Carmen), and it’s used in the actual film (the scene where [spoil]Carl is slowly going down the stairs in his motorized chair-lift[/spoil]). Michael arranged it, but it’s basically Carmen’s Habanera. rachelcakes1985 is right that at times, composers will slightly alter a piece of music to “homage” it and avoid copyright problems while still making it recognizable to the audience… but in this case, there’s no copyright worry because Carmen was composed over 100 years ago.

about the Star Trek screening. Did Ben Burtt attend that screening at all? Or Michael Giacchino or J.J. Abrams?

Don’t know if Ben Burtt was there. Michael wasn’t, because he was probably busy working on Land of the Lost, but at one of the LotL sessions, mentioned he saw it at a midnight screening. JJ Abrams wasn’t there either, but videotaped a message that was projected before the movie began, saying he’s sorry he couldn’t make it, and thanking everyone involved in the making of the movie they’re about to see.

whether this “Original Trailer Music” track is on the film soundtrack

Generally, unless music used in a trailer is also used in a film, there’s no chance you’ll hear the trailer music on the film’s soundtrack CD. Sometimes a film’s DVD release might have one of the film’s trailers as an extra, so if you’re lucky, occasionally you might be able to hear it that way…

Thats really amaizing miafka! I’ve always wanted to compose or play the score for a pixar film when I grow up, since music is practically my life.

Out of any Pixar film the score for Up has to be my favorite. I loved how the movie’s main theme was encorporated in a lot of the movie and how all of the music went perfectly with the characters emotions.

:smiley:

Thanks for explanation behind trailer music, miafka. =)

thedriveintheatre - I’m not sure if this is one of the tracks you were wanting, but on the Aussie version of the Up website they have one of the tracks from the earlier trailers played as background music on the site. I’m pretty sure it’s stock trailer music (probably in existence before the Up recording sessions even began) and not written by Michael Giacchino, but if you wanted to record the music through your soundcard, or wanted a copy of that music from me, the best version of the track is on the ‘downloads’ page, with doesn’t have any sound effects, as long as you don’t scroll your mouse over anything.

Didn’t know where to ask this, so I thought this thread would be the best.

Who sings “The Spirit of Adventure”? From the soundtrack?

Thanks in advance :smiley:

Hi, Simon-Simon! Turns out his name is Craig Copeland. (It was a big mystery to a lot of us!) Check out the thread linked below.

[url]The Spirit Of Adventure song.]

That thread also has a link to another thread about the Soundtrack, with more interesting info. There is also a link to some behind-the-scenes video of the recording session. I love the song! :smiley:

Oh thank you so much karly05, so sorry I missed that thread! I’ll check it out right away! Thanks for the help :smiley:

It can be hard to find the old threads sometimes, once they go down the page a-ways. :slight_smile:

Not really anything new, but it’s funny, I didn’t even notice this the first two times seeing the film but noticed it today upon seeing Up once more for the 3rd time:
the orchestra personnel aren’t listed in the closing credits, but there is a line in the MUSIC credits that thanks us, saying: “Special thanks to the orchestra for bringing the music to life.” I guess that’s not so bad.

A shame most people leave during the credits; they never get a chance to hear the song at the very end of the movie.

It’s a hot day here and maybe that helped, but considering the film has been out for 3 months already, it was a pretty good crowd still for the afternoon showing (between 1/3rd and 1/2 full).

I agree with miafka. Those songs are awesome. I got goosebumps with Married Life (eventually, crying), Up With End Credits, Up With Titles, Seizing The Spirit Of Adventure, The Small Mailman Returns, The Spirit Of Adventure…err…lots of it! I guess I should write down the whole track from the movie, though! :smiley:

Thanks for the music guys!

My faves are Married Life, Up with End Credits, and Up with Titles, and Carl Goes Up. Up with End Credits is the best score I’ve ever heard. It’s better on the soundtrack, there’s parts that aren’t in the movie (being the most beautiful parts, regrettably)

The whole score is so darn good.

I kept an eye out for the special orchestra message on my second viewing, and that was really nice that Pixar added in a thank you to the musicians, miafka. Maybe some people from Pixar have been reading your threads in the past where you mention that the musicians are never credited?

Shock horror! I have a question: the recording of the music used [spoil]from Carmen[/spoil] towards the beginning of Up, do you remember recording that in the Up sessions, or is that a recording pulled out of the archives? That would be cool if you did indeed record it and it does sound fresh to me. Thanks miafka!

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read above where you said that it was Michael’s arrangement, so you probably did record it in the Up sessions. Well, it sounds great anyway. :wink:

Nah, I was more after the one that plays after 1:01 in the teaser.

And I don’t know whether anyone has posted this before, but if you guys are interested, the track is Adventure of a Lifetime from trailer production house Two Steps From Hell. I’m really glad to have found it (Thanks to CraigoProductions who mentioned in the comments). Love the french horns and violins, so uplifting!

I’m so happy, this music makes me feel like flying! :smiley:

Yee-uh! Thanks so much for that track, thedriveintheatre. When listening to it, it makes me want to say “So long, boys! Pfffft!” ;-p How’d ya find it?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just read where you found out about the trailer music production company. I should really read posts more thoroughly. Heh.

You may have stumbled onto something here… apparently Two Steps from Hell is the one-stop shop for trailer music, at least for Pixar. And LOOK here’s the music used in the WALL-E trailer, woop! I’ve been wanting to know where that music was from for such a long time. You should recognise the music used in the main WALL-E trailer in that video from 1:18 onwards. wipes tear What a great find! :smiley:

Have you ever played a session for any of the TSFH recordings, miafka? They seem like they’d be just as fun to play as any movie recording… if not more fun because they are very thematically condensed pieces.

Likewise. That is indeed the end music for the Wall-E trailer! :open_mouth: Gawsh gee willikins, I discover something new every day! Thanks Rachel! :smiley:

Thank heavens I can listen to the soundtrack for Up, since I’m still waiting for the Swedish premiere!

And I mean I’m at lost for words, it is so beautiful I can’t even begin to explain it!

Thanks everyone! :smiley:

Yes, we indeed did play it in the sessions. If I remember right, I think Tim made a joke saying something like “now… this might sound a little familiar…”

I’ve done occasional movie trailers before (they’re usually called as just 1-hour sessions), but as far as I can remember, not for them.

PS: I actually had a question asking if the same version of “Carl Goes Up” is used for both the Up Soundtrack and the “Disney/Pixar Greatest Hits” CD, and posted it on the Up Soundtrack thread (before seeing there were new messages here)… so please have a look there as well.

I think it would be nice to have just a little post-script to this thread, since it covered the scoring of Up from the beginning to its release.

As most of you probably know by now, Michael wound up winning just about every award there is for his score to “Up” – two Grammys, a Golden Globe, a Critic’s Choice, a BAFTA… and finally last week, the Oscar. At a session shortly before the Oscars, Michael graciously (and modestly) thanked the orchestra, saying one of the reasons he is where he is today, is by being able to stand on our shoulders. And then at today’s Lost session (the first after the Oscars) it was time for a little celebrating. Michael brought the awards to the session (including the Oscar), and during the breaks let everyone hold them and pose with them (and him) between eating some “Congratulations” cake.

It was a great score for a wonderful movie, and the awards are all very richly deserved. Way to go, Michael! This movie is going to be a timeless classic.

Thank you for telling us about that, miafka! I hope you had a great time celebrating with Mr. Giacchino, and also thank you for bringing us all through the process of how scoring takes place for a Pixar film. You’ve been great in answering our questions and this has turned into quite an amazing thread.

And a final congratulations to Mr. Giacchino! Seems like he’s won everything now. :laughing:

Hi everyone,
does anyone know here I can buy the orchestral score for the Up movie?
Thanks
Alex