Votre Critique de Ratatouille

martini: oh yeah you can definetly say that again.

I think an interesting thing about Ratatouille is that it seems to be the one Pixar film conceived to be inaccessible for children and geared towards older audiences. That’s not to say that children won’t enjoy the film…because we’ve already seen that they do. It just means that Pixar did not seem to conceive the story directed towards kids. For example, I would guess that none of the children who watched the film fully understood Anton Ego’s final review and the depth of it. Another example is the idea of Linguini being an illegitimate son.

While I agree with you in some ways, I still think the intent was for little kids. The biggest example of this is that almost all the comedy was physical comedy, which is extremely obvious for the little kiddies. If the film was truly geared towards older audiences, it would have focused less on Linguini stumbling around like the village idiot and more of Remy trying to expand his communication with Linguini or something similar to that.

However, I do agree that the final monologue was probably the most confusing part of the movie, especially for children.

You’re right about the slapstick comedy. I suppose what I’m trying to say is more along of the lines of…this is the first film where Pixar didn’t have the kids in mind during the entire production. Because as well-written or heartfelt as scenes from Nemo or Toy Story were, they were always sort of “roped” down as a kids film. Brad Bird didn’t seem to care about that limitation in this film. So perhaps rather than targeted, perhaps limitation is a better word. They didn’t limit themselves as a kids film would.

The directors at Pixar don’t really have the audience in mind, they just make movies THEY want to see, ultimately they watch movies too, so they know what audiences want. A few examples include when Lasseter & co. disregarded Disney’s request for the film to be edgy, another very recent example is in many Andrew Stanton interviews where he says he’s not really thinking about the audiences. The bottom line, they make movies that are relevant to anyone without dumbing them down (which is extremely hard to do) and that’s one of the main reasons Pixar films are highly acclaimed by critics, fans, and general audiences.

I wonder if they’re ever going to make a sequel? It would be awesome if they did, since Ratatouille was amazing and did really well in theaters.

naw… I think a sequel would kind of take away the magic of the original. What would it be about anyway?

I was totally obsessed when Ratatouille was in theaters! I saw it w/ my mom and my brother and the next day I begged my mom to let me see it again but she wouldn’t let me. I went insane for about 3 months! Then I finally got my MP3 to work and I bought the soundtrack and listened to it nonstop!!! I forced all my friends to watch the movie w/ me!
Recently, I ordered the Ratatouille piano solo book. The songs are pretty hard, but it’s good to be back in the ratatouille spirit!

I think a sequel would be cool, but at the same time, I think Ratatouille ended perfectly the way it ended. SO I am kinda torn in a sense.

To put it in into a few simple words: this movie moved me in ways unexplainable.

No other movie had quite the same effect on my life as Ratatouille did. It inspired me to be more than just a unique individual - it inspired me to hold on to my dreams and fly with them.

I began to write a fanfic based on the movie, and originally, it was only supposed to be a reinterpretation of the movie. But it grew far beyond what I ever imagined it would have become, and now a year later, several original stories have come out of it; original stories and original characters that I hope to see in film someday… and it was all because of this beautiful movie.

“Beautiful” is not an adequate word to describe the characters and emotions in Ratatouille. There are no words to describe this touching film. I was skeptical about Brad Bird directing this movie, since I had been rather let down by The Incredibles, (don’t hurt me, TI fans! plz) but he blew all of my anxieties away.

I went into the theater to see this movie, and I felt the audience (including myself) moving deeply with the emotions. Laughter rang out in the room when Remy first drove Linguini around his apartment, and it fell silent when the chefs walked out on Linguini when he revealed that Remy was the real cook. People stood up and clapped when it was over, and so did I. It helped to spark a new appreciation for Pixar, and it helped fuel my longing to see WALL•E.

I am a new person because of this movie. My drawing has improved tremendously over the past year, all due to the fact that I wanted so desperately to be able to draw Remy’s curious eyes or Alfredo’s innocent smile; and do so in excellence.

I discovered how to express a new realm of emotion through my writings because of this movie. The depth I found in Ratatouille inspired me to write deeper; go deeper into the minds of the characters. Dive into the story. Become your characters. I believe this is the attitude Brad Bird held during the entire production of this movie.

To every animator, story artist, writer, production manager, graphic artist, concept artist, and voice talent who participated in this movie: you will never know how much your efforts changed my life. I am forever humbled that you would continue to make such amazing movies for us year after year. May there be many more to come.

And to the director of this film, Brad Bird, I have high hopes for you in the future. It’s unreal how much our minds are alike, and I would give anything to be able to meet with you someday and get your insight on filmmaking, since it is one of the dreams I hope to fulfill someday in the future. Thank you sincerely for inspiring me to pursue my dreams. :slight_smile:

“Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere…”

• Anton Ego

little chef

The first time i saw previews fo Ratatouille I wasnt too into it. It didnt seem lke it would be that funny, nor that interesting, so i didnt even see it while it was in theatres.

One day i just decided to buy it, figuring, it was Pixar, so i couldnt really go wrong. So i bought it, took it home, watched it and LOVEDit.

It ended up being one of the top movies on my list, and i love the style it has, which is unexplainable.

The characters, were easy to love, and as funny as it is i worked in a kitchen at a bar and grill once, and many of the characters in the movies portrayed the people i worked with, especially the head chef!!

I love the France setting, it gives it a fancy, sophisticated feel, with a comedic twist that pulls the entire plot together.

As for the ending, it was perfect. I could actually see a sequal of this movie. It would take a completely different view as far as writing the plot goes, considering the main view-point of this movie was, “man meets rat” but i could def. see a “Remy Linguini’s Kitchen” opening up. :smiley:

All in all this movie was fantastic, and i was a fool to pass it up in theatres, ill make sure not to make that mistake with a pixar film again! :smiley:

I don’t want them to make a sequel for several reasons:

1. I loved it the way it ended. Everything about it ended just perfectly; and in my opinion, you don’t really need to see what happens after they open La Ratatouille. It is pretty self-explanatory… Ego is a happier man, and so is Alfredo and Colette. Remy is living his dream. How much happier could it get?

2. My fanfic has basically become the sequel, and I could not bring myself to watch a sequel now that the ideas I’ve made up have basically become a part of the story… to me, at least. And I’m sure anyone who has attempted at writing a sequel would feel the same way. :frowning: It would kind of hurt.

3. We need Monsters Inc. 2 first. XD haha

4. As stated earlier, it wouldn’t be completely necessary. The movie was just about as full as it can get; it didn’t end on any vague details or anything like that. Sweet and to-the-point. That is how any movie should end. :smiley:

But, of course, that is my humble opinion. If you’re rooting for a sequel, be my guest. Haha. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ll stick with my fanfic, thanks. :wink:

little chef

wow. i could not have said it better myself.
I never really loved movies that much, I thought they were cool, some were awesome, etc…
Then I saw Ratatouille. It did move me. It made me explore more into the art of Pixar (how i found this site), movie music, I discovered Michael Giacchino, so many things changed for the better. I had no idea a movie could impact you so much, but that’s what Ratatouille did for me. Cheers to you and to Ratatouille!

wallerat: Aww…!!! <3 I’m so glad I touched you with my words. I was just pouring out my heart there. But I’m sure that every Ratatouille fan can relate with me in just about the same way. :smiley:

It’s amazing how many lives this movie has touched. :slight_smile:

little chef

I re-watched Ratatouille last night, and I felt like I was seeing it for the first time, from a food lover’s perspective.

Ratatouille is an excellent film to me. It’s so acurate regarding how haute cuisine works (y’know, the “hierarchy of the kitchen”), the characters are so easy to love, and there are some thought-provoking moments. I was probably affected most by Ego’s statement " Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." and Remy [spoil]willing to die for his passion of cooking[/spoil]. There are other things I love about this movie, I totally forgot it was animated (that’s how real a lot of it look, Pixar could’ve fooled me with the rapids scene), the description of the culinary arts by Gusteau, and the lessons this movie has taught me.

My one problem with it? Why do the doors close automatically [spoil]as Ego exits Gusteau’s after he intimidates Linguini in front of the paparazzi?[/spoil]. Dramatic effect? :laughing:

Four stars from yours truly!

I just saw the movie for the first time! I loved it! It was great!Fantasico! It had a great moral to it.Anyways,here is the whole movie in MY point of view!

Ratatouille:
The movie starts out in a black in white screen,you see a chief talking,and then you see a dim man with black hair and a thin face wearing small glasses say [spoil]I don’t believe ANYONE can cook[/spoil] Then the usual,on the screen it says “Disney Presents A Pixar Film:Ratatouille” So Remy is thrown out a window,and then Remy narrators,and talks about how he has a gift,of smelling,to check if something is poison or not,but it gave him a boring.But then Remy takes a mushroom and gets hit by lighting,which makes the Mushroom even better! But then when Remy sneaks into an old woman’s house,the woman fires a shotgun and him and his clan struggle to get away but are separated, and then Remy goes out of and discovers he’s in Paris,France.This is were the real story begins.
So you see a man,I forget his name in the movie, in a kitchen wanting to cook,but instead becomes a garbage boy.While in the kitchen, he discovers Remy,as he cooks soup,the man hides Remy,but soon he is discovered,then,the man takes a jar,and when he is about to to drop him in the water,he lets him go,Remy runs off,but comes back and decides to help the man.But the lead chief is suspicious,and,okay this is too long,later! :laughing:

thank you for sharing this but what does this title mean in english

Nothing. It’s a dish.

The thread means “Your Review of Ratatouille”.

Ratatouille was amazing. I loved it! I have seen in in theaters 21 times and counting. I’ve loved Remy ever since the teaser came out, but it was wonderful seeing him in action. Ratatouille is, and always will be, my favorite movie. Remy is like a friend to me, in that he inspired me to become a chef, and he always makes me happy. Remy is like the pet rat of my dreams!

I recently purchased Ratatouille in 1080p on my iPhone. It looks amazing! However, at 20 dollars it’s kind of expensive.