WALL•E coming to Blu-ray and DVD on November 18th

WANTWANTWANT.

Hmmm, while of course It’d b cool to have the blue ray, cause it’s better def and has more features etc etc, the box art is so… uninspired, especially compared to the 3 disc DVD.

Whatever, I’m stuck with DVD either way. XD

Aah, I’m really peed off now, because I’ve only just really started researching into the WALL-E DVD release, and there’s no 3 disk edition over here. So, I’m assuming that we’re missing out on something aside from the digital copy thing? That’s so irritating.

The region 2 looks fine to me - take a look at page 11 of this thread. :smiley:

Irongiant- Oh, I see, thanks. :smiley: Though I still wanted that digital copy, but if that’s the only thing missing, then I guess that’s alright.

RE: R2 vs R1 DVDs…
Well, just remember if you live in a PAL country and get the R2 version, as Rachel reminded us in the Australian release thread, chances are it’ll suffer (as do most videos converted to PAL for PAL countries) from slightly higher-pitch and shorter running time (due to the conversion to different video standard). Unless they take the care to manually “force down” the pitch after conversion (I remember someone saying they did this for the European “Cars” release for the main picture disc, but don’t think they did it for other releases). Of course for most this isn’t that big a deal (slightly higher pitch and shorter running time) but it’s worth pointing out. I’d be curious to hear the reports if they bother to correct it for Wall-E or not, for those living in PAL countries…

Conversely, those buying the PAL DVDs will benefit from a slightly higher resolution due to the extra amount of lines used in the vertical plane (625 lines as opposed to America’s 525).

Swings and roundabouts …

Blu-ray is of course a completely different kettle of fish.

As for Philippine Pixar DVD releases(our region code is 3), WALL-E will be released tomorrow right? I assume we need to wait 2 or 3 weeks more and I’m not even sure if we’ll be having a 2 Disc DVD release which will be on a cheap slipcase(I know VIVA will not include the digital copy of the movie)

Disney Movies are being localized by VIVA Home Video.
As an observation on the DVD release of Ratatouille, VIVA deleted the “Deleted Scenes” bonus feature to give way for the Chinese and Cantonese languages of the movie which irritated me the most since Ratatouille lacks bonus features and they made it more lacking.

So far, WALL-E will be my first Region 1 DVD purchase ever. As the rest of my DVD movies and Pixar movies are Philippine purchases.

The details for the German releases are now out as well: [url]http://www.areadvd.de/news/2008/11/17/disney-wall-e-blu-ray-discdvd-details/[/url]
There will be a single-disc DVD, a 2-disc DVD and a 2-disc Blu-ray, with pretty much all of the extras announced for the US/UK editions, except for the trailers and that DRM-infested digital copy.
As DRM sucks and I have the trailers in HD already anyway, I don’t think that’s a great loss.

Edit #2: Blu-ray definitely is 2-disc release due to the ammount of bonus material included

single disc blu-ray? o_______________O
please, no…

nononononononononono…
:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

If it’s true I’ll buy the UK edition…

I think it’s impossible to have WALL-E and The Pixar Story in the same Blu-ray Disc in HD, in three languages, with all the extras… they must be two discs…

Oops, I think I mixed up something.
I thought the Blu-ray versions had one disc less than the 2-disc DVD because of the larger capactly, but the US version with everything but the digital copy actually has two discs because of “The Pixar Story” (I totally forgot about that one!).

The announcement actually did not specify the number of discs of the Blu-ray release, so the Blu-ray release will be a 2-disc release after all.

i hope ;_;
It’s the best blu-ray ever made, I want it complete! :stuck_out_tongue:

I received the Wall-E DVD today!

Yes, my Wall-E DVD arrived in the mail a day early.
I don’t have the time now to write up everything on it (I’m sure others will take up where I leave off), but will mention a few things…

This is the normal (not BluRay) 3-disc DVD set.

On the wrapping, there’s a little sticker that mentions it being the #1 Animated movie of the year, and says “Includes BURN-E, the all-new animated short film.”

Packaging: basically cardboard (rather than hard plastic). It’s weird, in that you kind of “pull out” the the paper disc holders from both the left (holding Disc 1) and right (holding Discs 2 and 3) side. Not bad, just different. There’s some little flyers included… one has your “unique activation code” for the Digital Copy… another is a small “Out of the World” savings booklet (info on Disney DVDs, coupons for Minute Maid juice, CF energy-saving Sylvania light bulbs, admission to the Kennedy Space Center, $10 off the Wall-E BluRay for those who bought the normal DVD as well, etc… and then on the back of the booklet, an ad for “Up” which just shows the baloons & house, and says “May 29”). There’s also a Wall-E Sweepstakes/Movie Rewards flyer.

The discs themselves: there are 3. Disc 1 is the main movie disc, with Burn-E, Presto, and some extra features, Disc 2 is more Extras, and Disc 3 is the Digital copy disc.

I haven’t had time to look at the discs much, but just very quickly…

The physical discs themselves are nicely done. Disc One has Wall-E holding a Pinwheel and Eve looking down at him… Disc Two has three of the “misfit” Robots on it, and Disc Three has MO and another robot on it.

Disc One: when you insert it, begins with typical Disney ads, which I immediately skipped to get to the menu. Burn-E’s here (it’s 7:35 long), as is “Presto.” There are two deleted scenes (“Garbage Airlock” and “Dumped”). There’s Sneak Peek: Wall-E’s tour of the Universe (Wall-E taking you on a ride through space), “Animation Sound Design: Building Worlds from the Ground Up” with Ben Burtt (haven’t had a chance to see this yet, definitely want to), and of course there’s the Audio Commentary option while watching the movie. Only skimmed the movie so far (will watch it later tonight), but the picture quality is just fantastic. Really beautiful transfer.

Disc Two: A lot of Extras. When you first put it in, you get an initial menu that
gives the the choice of HUMANS (“For Film Fans”) or ROBOTS (“For Families”). Selecting ROBOTS gives you extras like “Wall-E’s Treasures and Trinkets”, “Lots of Bots” Storybook, and “Bot Files” (where you can select any of the various bots to hear about them). Selecting HUMANS on the left, gives you a bunch of interesting extras, like a bunch of behind-the-scenes featurettes, the Pixar Story, B&L Shorts, and Deleted Scenes. I haven’t had time to view most of them yet.

The only thing I did see so far of the extras was… of course… “Notes on a Score”, so I’ll comment on it.

First of all, it’s not just a couple minutes, it’s 10:39 long, and is quite good (better than other such featurettes I’ve seen in the past). There are scenes of the us playing the score with Tommy conducting at the beginning and end of the featurette, but a lot of it is also showing Tommy and Andrew Stanton talking as they work together. The scoring process is explained, and it’s actually a pretty good featurette. For those curious, the scenes of the whole orchestra playing were shot while we were at the Sony stage, though some of the scenes of Tom with individual musicians is at Fox, where the final orchestral days also took place).

For those who read my posts on the scoring process, you can see some of what I talked about. Right away, at 5 seconds into the featurette, you see Tommy conducting us, and can see the screen behind the orchestra where the movie is projected. That white “line” going across the screen (from 00:05 to 00:06) is a “streamer” that I talked about before, which indicates where a certain part in the score is (often where there’s a tempo change or an important chord or event happening). The green numbers you see on the upper-right corner of the projection screen show the measure number (first green number) and the beat within that particular measure (2nd number) that correspond with the “clicks” (click-track) we hear in our headphones. So as you watch it, you’ll see it quickly show measure 3 beat 2, measure 3 beat 3, measure 3 beat 4, measure 4 beat 1, etc. Later at around 09:30 or so, you can watch the numbers change on the projection screen for a while too. And check out those old wood-panel walls when it shows the orchestra again, starting at around 09:00. That’s the Sony stage… looks terrible but sounds great.

I have to watch the other featurettes later tonight, but what I can say is, people, pay a few extra dollars and get the 3-disc set. It’s really well done with a lot of fine extras.

So at this point, I’ll pass the baton to others who want to post on some of the other content (Burn-E, other Extras, etc). But nice to see Disney handled this release well. Definitely worth it. I’m waiting now to see some of the easter eggs people find…

This morning I woke up and told myself “one more day” and my hands started shaking! I cant freakin’ wait!!!

Less than 24 hours to go, you Americans! =)

Thanks for that review, miafka! The human and robots section sounds like something similar they did with the Monsters, Inc. DVD. All of it sounds so good, especially the 10 mins + of the scoring, yes!!! Funnily enough, the thing I’m excited about that you described was the little Up flyer. =)

Oh, well it’s not really a special “Up” flyer or anything… it’s more just like a tiny 1/2-size booklet with coupons inside, and just the back cover has the “Up” picture on it. Still, all-in-all, a very well-done release (I wish they’d go back and re-issue Ratatouille this way…)

Oh well, anything advertising Up sounds good. =)

Don’t we all…? Hint, hint Pixar.

Man oh man, I can’t wait! First thing on the list for tomorrow is, gettin’ Wall•E on DVD!!! Woooo hoooo!

Just a quick PS… I’ve had a chance to see the Extras on Disc 2 (still haven’t seen any of the extras on Disc 1 yet). REALLY good behind-the-scenes stuff, not just fluff pieces. Interesting to see long segments on how the film originally was going to be (with aliens instead of humans), talking about building Eve and Wall-E, trying to duplicate the anamorphic lens effect… just a ton of stuff. One humorous thing… in the deleted scenes, they have temp voices (since some of the stuff was early on), and in the “Secret Files” deleted scene (disc 2), whoever did the temp voice of the captain is trying to sound like William Shatner… :slight_smile:

Anyway, a ton of stuff, and I haven’t even gotten to the Ben Burtt stuff or Burn-E, or any of the stuff on Disc one yet.

Holey Moley, you guys! I’m so excited it’s not even funny! 19 minutes until November 18 MST!

Downloading my copy of WALL•E from the iTunes Store as we speak. It shall graciously take it’s place on my iPhone for on the road viewing.