Wall-E DVD Thoughts, Comments

Ooh… I want the 2 disc, but I have already got a 1-disc…
Is it possible to buy the second disc separately?

As far as I’m aware, you can only get the second disc if you’ve bought the 2-disc set, unfortunately. Though it would be pretty handy to be able to buy them seperately.

I had no idea that the person doing the temp voice for Shelby Forthright in the deleted scenes was William Shatner! 8D

I have the 3-disc version. The packaging idea was creative, but yeah, I think I broke it while trying to figure out how to get to the first disc. =(

Anyway, the quality of the movie is terrific (as far as I can tell, that is!). I’m not a huge fan of the menus, but I get the concept. To me, the DVD menus for Ratatouille were more breathtaking. This release is far superior to the last two (single-discs and no commentaries? Lame!), though. I love playing a Pixar DVD and getting lost in their little world for hours. Oh, and I loved The Pixar Story. I mean, the documentary itself was somewhat average, but the story being told is far too interesting for me to care.

I just got home from the store. I have the 3-disc version of the WALL-E DVD! :smiley: I’m going to get the DisneyFile… uh… file and put it on my new iPod Classic. I’m watching The Pixar Story right now, but I’m also playing on the computer so I’ll have to watch it again.

I think the packaging for the DVD is interesting, but I think it’s hard to get a disc out and put it back in and then close the entire thing easily.

$^$&@#&@!!!)((&#$&#$^#&$ DISNEY!!!

I paid $35 for this, and they forgot to put the activation code insert in it. It couldn’t be easy like having the actual video file on the disc. No, you had to make sure pirates didn’t get it. NEXT TIME DISNEY, YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE YOU DON’T PUNISH THOSE WHO ACTUALLY PURCHASE YOUR FILMS BY MAKING SURE THEY GET WHAT THEY PAID FOR!! :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

Sorry, I’m just really frustrated. Their phone line is closed (won’t be open until Monday) so I sent an email to them. I hope I get a reply this soon, this is outrageous. :angry:

Yeah, I heard a lot of other people were missing their activation codes in their DVDs, too. If you have trouble finding a replacement code, or Disney won’t give you one, you could always just rip the DVD to your hard drive. It will mean you’d get better quality, too.

Yeah, but I bought the 3-disc version for the specific purpose of watching the film on my iPod. The least Disney could do was give me a small piece of paper with a few random numbers and letters on it.

My computer (or one of them) has a DVD drive which means I can copy it, but I’ll have to find a good program to do it. I know one called Handbrake, but it won’t run on my PC. It was really good too (and free!). I could pop the DVD in and press iPod. It would resize it and convert it and everything (I know this because I used to have an iBook loaned to me and it could run Handbrake. I ripped some Paul McCartney videos to put on YouTube. Only one or two though.)

I’m so excited that I got the WALL-E 3 disc dvd for christmakkuh, but the only problem is that to get the digital copy and put it on my iPod Nano 4thg, I need an iTunes account, and you need a credit card to have an iTunes account, which I do not own because of my young under 18 age…

Though I might just ask my mom if I can use hers, though she might say no, which stinks… a lot…

Just tell her you aren’t buying anything. It just needs a credit card for verification and if you do ever buy something (with permission of course.)

You can create an iTunes account without a credit card, if you follow these instructions.
Apple added this to allow downloads of free apps from the iPhone app store for people without a credit card.
I have not tested if this actually works with a digital copy, but it is worth giving it a try.

Thanks Totoro! I’m good with most internet things, but iTunes has always confuzzled me…

Fore-note: It should be universally known on this thread that WALL•E was released on DVD and Blu-Ray on November 18, 2008. What should also be known is that I waited this long to type up a review on the subject, and I say this in a very regretful tone, mind you. I should have commented on this beautiful film ages ago…

Secondly, this entire review is written directly to Andrew Stanton, because, hey, WALL•E is just that freakin’ awesome…

Good day to you, Mr. Stanton!

Many a film has been projected to an audience, and many a subject has been traversed, but there is, perhaps, no such production which has kissed the hands of charisma, affability, and beauty… than that of WALL•E. To say that it reached a level of eminence is a sheer understatement, and to proclaim that the creative minds behind the project gave it their all does not deviate from the truth. What you and your team have concocted is nothing more, and nothing less, than a masterpiece.

WALL•E DVD - Disc 1

Presentation: The manner in which this film is presented is magnificent. The picture is crisp, the sound is clear, and the story and characters as endearing as ever. To whomever pieced together this DVD: Lovely work!

Menu: With a clever menu and equally engaging bonus features, the first disc of WALL•E and its menu are appealing to the eye.

BURN•E: Angus MacLane, I loved it. The humor; the characters; the set design: All of it was equally engaging and charming. Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I take it that you paid homage to 2001: A Space Odyssey near the end of the short – that’s my favorite section in the film. Great stuff. :wink:

Presto: It’s been quite some time since I’ve been transported back to the days of Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam, but this one did it. The ingenious and comedic timing is what makes this particular short film stand out from the rest of Pixar’s diminutive productions, so a round of applause goes to the director and the entire Presto team!

Deleted Scenes: Although I regret to say that I’ve neglected to remember correctly the titles of each of these two sequences, I enjoyed viewing each one regardless. The first centered around WALL•E attempting to propose to EVE, right? That was hilarious. I can see why it was cut, but, at the same time, I kind of wish it hadn’t, namely for the humorous aspect of it. The second was especially interesting to witness, taking into account the fact that WALL•E and EVE’s positions were switched at the time (in the “garbage compacting station”) and that the sequence itself was (practically) fully rendered. To be honest, I completely agree with you, Mr. Stanton, in that the end result (in which EVE rescues WALL•E instead of vice-versa) was much stronger and had more of an impact on the audience. Heh. I love how you guys at Pixar take risks like this; you’re willing to change a sequence at the last possible second so as to strengthen the story. Kudos to you. Two thumbs up.

Animation Sound Design: Building Worlds from the Sound Up: Astounding. Absolutely astounding. My sister is the aspiring sound editor in the family, so she was soaking up the information in this featurette like a sponge. That said, I enjoyed it just as much, particularly the archival footage from the early days of Disney Studios. (Ben Burtt, if you’re reading this, I just might attempt to replicate a lazer gun sound effect the next time I acquire a Slinky…)

Geek-O-Rama - Here’s living proof that Pixar is the one and only place to go if one wants to be among family. My sister and I are now rest assured that we’re heading in the right direction, for if we were devoid of the chance to celebrate geekdom with fellow fans then we wouldn’t be able to survive. (Your “Game over, man!” impression is awesome, Mr. Stanton.)

Audio Commentary - I saved the best for last. This is, in its entirety, the best Pixar audio commentary that I have heard so far. Curse me for harboring uncertainty before listening to it, Mr. Stanton. I wasn’t sure whether I’d be as interested listening to a one-man commentary but, darn it all, you proved me wrong. It was down-right entertaining. From such interesting tidbits as Peter Gabriel’s Secret World Tour… to that moment in the film where you had nothing to say at one point (which was hilarious), I remained captivated throughout. (By the way, I played Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head during the “Bad Date” sequence, and it worked pretty well with the moment!)

WALL•E DVD - Disc 2

“The Pixar Story” - I had seen and reviewed this documentary before, but I enjoyed it immensely the second time around. A most wonderful and historical compilation by Leslie Iwerks.

WALL•E & EVE - I believe this was the first of the behind-the-scenes featurettes that I watched, and it captivated me instantly. Amongst the hoard of information delivered, I particularly liked these sections of the video: How WALL•E is compared to Buster Keaton, whereas EVE is matched up with Sigourney Weaver; the WALL•E turn-a-round; the bomb-sniffing robot, and how its rumbling and jerky movements were applied to the character of WALL•E in certain instances; how Angus MacLane (a Directing Animator) referred to EVE’s flying/soaring motions/movements to that of a manatee or a narwhal; how Jay Shuster (a Production Artist) took to drawing every single nut and bolt on WALL•E (if that’s a geek then I don’t know what is; awesome stuff); and how one of the animator’s mentioned that certain “expressions” had to be omitted when animating the character of EVE – for example, “don’t have EVE’s eyes go to hearts” when she’s in love.

Captain’s Log - Yet another informative clip. I had no idea that the human characters in the film were originally blobs of jello.

Robo-Everything: Very cool. I liked how Angus MacLane created a modular “Lego” system for the robots, so that pieces of them could be used for various purposes. I also enjoyed the M-O animation tests.

Life of a Shot: Deconstructing the Pixar Process: Now this was cool. Engaging factoids of every size and shape were scattered throughout: 1500(+) shots in WALL•E; if one talented artist did all the work and all the shots, it would take them 442 years to complete the film; it takes hundreds of individuals to create, tweak, and finalize a shot; etc… One fact which I found to be particularly interesting was mentioned by Bob Whitehill, I believe. When he assisted in setting up the cinematography for a specific shot in WALL•E, he found that a 75 mil. lens for that particular shot made it feel compressed and uncomfortable, which, in turn, worked well for the tone of that sequence.

Notes on a Score: Music is something that I find to be of extreme importance in a production; if the score is unsuitable, the atmosphere and aura of the film as a whole deteriorates significantly. Quite naturally, however, Mr. Newman did not disappoint when he interpreted his vision of the intrinsic, yet captivating, melodies one hears in WALL•E. Both you and Mr. Newman developed something more than unique this time around. I have never been engulfed by such music…

The Imperfect Lens: Creating the Look of WALL•E: An extremely informative showcase. It detailed the inner workings of the film-making process, including camera studies, production design, set dressing, and consulting veterans in various fields (i.e., Roger Deakins, a Visual Consultant) without hesitation. I love how it was mentioned that the focus of the camera helps to set the mood of a scene, whether it be calm and collected, or constricted and uncomfortable. Which, by the way, brings me to mention one of my favorite uses of cinematography in WALL•E, and that would be the sequence in which the title character is chased by a stampede of shopping carts in an abandoned mall. Just the way the camera goes in and out of focus makes the film all the more tangible… as if it was filmed with a hand-held video camera at times. Now, see, I just love this stuff. I just love it. It’s deviating from the norm that distinguishes Pixar from the rest of the animation studios in existence today. Good on you for taking risks, Mr. Stanton, and that goes for the entire crew at Pixar.

BnL Shorts - “Captaining the Axiom” is my personal favorite, but I love the way that all of these campaigns are presented. Pixar would be great at advertising, in my opinion. Heheh.

Additional Deleted Scenes - In “Docking”, I like how WALL•E originally met M-O.

Bot Files - Gosh, I love these. I spent forever reading about each 'bot and its attributes. I love the fact that there are people dedicated enough to create profiles for such minute characters as these.

Last, but not least, I’d like to say one thing and one thing in particular before closing: Do you know who was on drugs when they hid those two easter eggs on the first disc of the WALL•E DVD?? My sister and I are expert “egg” hunters when it comes to DVDs; we leave no stone unturned and can find pretty much any egg in a matter of seconds. But this one…? It must have taken us half an hour at least to find those two eggs. Half an hour! I swear, we tried every trick of the trade. We were even pressing numbers and stuff on our remote. Well, in any case, whoever hid those eggs: Thanks for the challenge! It was well worth the effort.

To conclude on a brief, albeit geek-y, note: Your movie rocks, Mr. Stanton. :wink:

– Mitch

Oh Good. Amazing that it’s been so many months since the last post on the dvd, and this is the first real comprehensive discussion. I noticed Mitch you did something similar a few weeks ago on the characters in the Ratatouille movie, which by the way is playing this past few days like crazy on the Encore Wam network here in the U.S.

Here is a mini-review of your review:

Presto. I’ve been thinking alot of Warner Bros. cartoons since this feature. In the late 50’s and 60’s this studio came out with superior characters and decent stories, altho unfortunately somewhat violent. Presto reflects this same level of violence, and is fortunately just a short. Of course, the animation quality is far superior to Bugs Bunny. So is the story.

Captain’s Log. This had been fleetingly mentioned here in this subforum, comments about the gels and aliens, which didn’t make any sense to me at the time. These people very possibly were Pixar employees or their friends or more likely read about them a little in the Art of Wall-e book. This was discussed on July 7th for the first time here in the ‘Deleted Scenes’ thread. How the gels didn’t fly isn’t completely revealed here. I know that some movie about to come out uses gels, which might be stealing Pixar’s idea.

Even tho the main story for act2+3 was radically changed, many of the bots were probably retained. Perhaps many elements of the ship were too. We just don’t know, the details are literally sketchy.

Notes on a Score. I was disappointed with one aspect of this piece. It never really felt like Burtt’s section of the dvd. In fact, it was hard thruout the dvd to imagine what the original instructions were to any of the crew from Mr. Stanton. Where, for example, does he describe a brief segment of the movie to anyone on the crew, such as Tommy Newman, and then say “ok, now this is what I want from you”. Maybe there was a moment or two in this 10-15 min segment, not sure, and will have to watch again.

DarkHandOfSigourneyWeaver - Heheh. Thanks. I intended to submit a review of the DVD ages ago, but I never got to it on time, unfortunately…

I take it that you’re referring to the “L’ardeur Imperceptible” thread that I created which traversed my appreciation of the film. Thanks for noticing it. :slight_smile:

Ha-ha. Yeah, when my family and I used to get the Encore station I also noticed that they played Ratatouille quite frequently, even if they do present it in a fullscreen format. It’s nice to know that that film is still getting significant attention elsewhere.

Concerning your mini-review:

Presto - Actually, it was the attention to violence that I found to be entertaining. Such crude humor is still exercised in some cartoons today, of course, but they’re too adult for youngsters (e.g., Family Guy). I miss the old days, when comedic shorts such as those of the Bugs Bunny “era” appealed to both children and adults, so it’s refreshing to see Presto return to that arena.

Really? The closest relation I can think of is the character of B.O.B. in DreamWorks’ latest film, Monsters Vs. Aliens.

Notes on a Score - I see what you mean. I wish that more information had been revealed, concerning Ben Burtt’s involvement in the film. He did get a moment in the spotlight within the “Animation Sound Design” featurette on the first disc of the WALL-E DVD, though. Of course, I haven’t watched that “Notes on a Score” featurette in a while either, so I’d have to watch it again to see how much screen credit Mr. Burtt gets.* Nevertheless, I feel your disappointment.

*I haven’t watched any of the bonus features on the WALL-E discs in a while. When I wrote my report on the DVD, I was referring to notes that I’d made some time ago.

– Mitch

I don’t know if anyone has seen this before, but to advertise the DVD and Blu-Ray, there was a WALL•E podcast on iTunes called WALL-E Meets Art Attack. Just search this title in iTunes! It’s quite interesting.

EVE,
One Movie, Five Views

I quite like how they’re putting more attention to DVD covers, especially the paper box covering things. Wall-E & Ratatouille’s DVD covers are so good I like to keep it out on the lounge table :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s the one. Just saw that movie last night, and what another waste of vast computer resources from HP and animator talent. Half of the jokes fell embarrassingly flat, do they dumb these things down on purpose? Oh, I suppose 2/3 of the movie was interesting. But it should have been titled ‘…Vs. Alien and His Robot’. The gel did not have the shimmering voice as the failed Pixar gels did, and he had an amusing origin.

One Movie, Five Views, thanks for the link suggestion. I’ve never seen it before. What an ingenious British eccentric. Maybe lizardgirl has something to say about him. Here is an actual link to this free production:

youtube.com/watch?v=mePELQmn2y4

The guy making the WALL•E picture, Neil Buchanan, used to have a show called Art Attack. It was on in Canada for a while, and I remember watching it. It must have been big in the UK…

EVE,
One Movie, Five Views

Neil Buchanan is such a legend! All of my friends and I basically grew up with him doing his artwork on TV, though I never really liked the big Art Attacks as much as the rest of the programme. But Art Attack wins over SMart any day.

That’s such a cool video! I love the use of the soundtrack and the final picture is amazing. Thanks for the heads-up, One Movie, Five Views, and for the link DarkHandOfSigouneyWeaver.