WALL•E Reviews

Well the Ebert & Roeper review was on at 5:30 in the morning where I am, unfortunately I was unaware of this and it looks like it won’t be repeated until Monday. After tomorrow I won’t have any internet access or tv until Friday and Friday is that when I plan on seeing it.

If it doesn’t go up on YouTube by tomorrow than I’ll be seeing the review after I’ve seen the movie :unamused:

I usually don’t mind messages in movies (environmental, political, etc.) and I’m pretty good at detecting them, but to be honest, when Willard says the “Stay the course” line, I saw it as stay on course because they are on a ship. That’s it.

Minor Spoilers ahead

There’s a funny scene where Wall-E, hanging on to the ship which transports Eve back to the Axiom, flies by the moon and you see the lunar lander on it, showing that no matter where humans go, they leave trash behind. I don’t understand why people have a problem with that message, it’s not like the message is a lie. We do pollute the environment.

I really liked the movie and applaud Pixar for including a strong message.

You guys are NOT USING SPOILER TAGS! >:[

I found the review here:
dailymotion.com/country:us/v … shortfilms

cinemablend.com/reviews/WALL-E-3211.html

Reviewed by Mariana McConnell : 2008-06-23 04:09:24

A love letter to science-fiction films of old with a modern environmentalist message, WALL-E is another winning confection from Pixar, the folks who have made an art out of wrapping adult themes in childish whimsy and coming out with movies that please both elements. Starring a box shaped little robot with more than a passing resemblance to E.T., WALL-E is quite possibly the cutest Pixar hero ever, despite the fact that he’s a trash compactor with eyes. A story centering on a wordless robot could be cold and uninviting, but not in Pixar’s capable hands. Never has a robot been this compassionate: WALL-E’s got heart.

The story of the film is deceptively simple. WALL-E (Waste Allocator Load Lifter - Earth Class) is the last of his kind, a robot created by the Buy-N-Large Corporation to clean up the piles of trash left on Earth by the conspicuous consumption of human beings. The humans themselves have evacuated the now-toxically trashed Earth for a Eden-like spaceship habitat called the Axiom (also created by BNL corp.), where they spend their days sipping meals out a cup and reclining on floating easy chairs. Though all his robotic compatriots have long since compacted their last, WALL-E continues plugging away at his job in an endearingly human way. He wakes up each day to the chime of a Macintosh starting up (score for the iFolks! Thanks Steve!) and heads out for another day among the trash heaps. He brings a battered coolie along with him to save the things he likes: a ping-pong paddle, a plastic dinosaur toy, a light bulb, a small seedling saved in an old boot. He ends each day in his home, watching an old video tape of Hello Dolly! - an important motif throughout the film.

Things change drastically for WALL-E the day EVE shows up. She is slick and futuristic and quite obviously a girl; WALL-E falls in love almost immediately. It turns out EVE has been sent from the Axiom to scan the earth for signs of habitable life. Their convincing courtship is done completely without dialogue, quite a feat for sound designer Ben Burtt who found a way to make ambient noise into recognizable words for WALL-E. Trying to impress the coolly modern EVE, WALL-E shows her the seedling he found, at which point EVE goes into a hibernation state and awaits the return of her spaceship. WALL-E, of course, cannot abide by his beloved EVE’s status and hitches a ride into space to save her.

A bit disturbingly, all the humans on the Axiom have regressed to babyhood (enormously fat, with chubby extremities and little bone density) after 700 years of living up in space and drinking their meals through a straw. It seems that this may have been the aim of the BNL Corporation, who have instructed the ship’s Computer Auto (Sigourney Weaver) to never let the humans return to Earth, even if it is found to be habitable once again. Though WALL-E’s only aim on the Axiom is to find his beloved EVE, he finds himself wrapped up in a race to save the seedling he collected on earth from the treacherous tentacles of Auto. Along the way he meets a variety of robots, each with their own supposed job, all of which are related to cleaning up. It becomes clear that human consumption is what has trashed the earth and is now trashing Outer Space as well.

Though he is tiny and relegated to the dirtiest of the dirty jobs, WALL-E truly understands how to find value in sullied things and how to create magic out of useless objects. He is more human than the humans in that way and slowly, without preaching (he can’t even talk), WALL-E begins to show them how to regain what they have lost through sloth and over reliance on technology. It’s an environmentalist film, but also a poignant homage to simple joys in this era of iPods and digital everything.

Half of what is so enchanting about watching WALL-E, as in all Pixar films, is seeing how the filmmakers have created a working universe in which to play. There is no skimping here, no visible shortcuts. WALL-E himself has a million ways to express his emotions, from compacting into a box when he feels shy to wiggling his binocular-like eyes in awe when he first beholds EVE, all of which are related to physical, realistic components. That allegiance to authenticity allows the film to send its narrative to fantastic heights without seeming over the top or phony.

Like all previous Pixar films, the meaning of WALL-E is deeper and more profound than the merchandising opportunities found therein. It’s a love story, yes, but it’s also a story about staying true to your own heart in the blandly evil face of authority. It’s a tale about saving the small things and cherishing the world you live in, no matter how imperfect its surface might seem. Andrew Stanton, who won an Oscar in 2004 for Finding Nemo, has certainly earned his place in the pantheon of animation pioneers, but with WALL-E, he has taken not only the art of animation, but the art of storytelling to new, unimaginable heights.

As a bonus, Pixar have affixed a Looney Tune-y short about an arrogant magician and his hungry rabbit to beginning of the WALL-E. Presto! is pure Looney Tunes and a fitting appetizer to the lovely film to follow.

2nd official fresh review on RT.com by Joshua Tyler here.

Reviews trickling in on rottentomatoes.com now. 5 for 5 so far.

“It’s best not to ask too many questions…Take the film’s outstretched hand and go with it. That’s the best way to enjoy a film that’s as charming as a tale of two robots falling in love can be…”

“It’s great science-fiction, spectacular excitement and an emotional journey, but if I were to sum it up in one word it would be ‘EXTRAORDINAR-E…!’”

“There are no accolades too generous for the film that turns out to be so good that it’s now my favorite story from the Pixar library…”

“For adults there aren’t a lot of surprises, but that doesn’t mean you won’t revel in the Pixar-perfect execution of another story well told…”

“One of the best movies of the year. Just so beautifully done…”

First negative review on rottentomatoes.com: rottentomatoes.com/m/wall_e/ … id=1737157

:unamused:

Just to let you guys know, some critic just gave WALL-E its first rotten review in Rotten Tomatoes. His name is Phil Villarreal, and he was the same critic who gave Ratatouille its first rotten review. He also gave Cars a rotten review, and gave The Incredibles a measly 3 out of 4 stars.

I sense Pixar envy…

Geez, what does this guy want to make him happy? O.o

That guy obviously has bad taste in movies, by what he’s reviewed and liked, and by his bad Pixar record. Just ignore him, by June 27th there will be a plethora of great reviews and his 15 minutes of fame (or shame according to the Rotten Tomatoes users) will be over.
Come on, he gave Ratatouille a bad review, enough said.

Now that guy’s review has been deleted “by accident” (as well as a bunch of comments about his bad review apparently) but he still managed to bring down the movie’s score by 10% as of tonight (with only 10 reviews currently). But as martini833 said, there will be enough other reviews soon enough (and I don’t discount someone for giving a bad review… but it seems this guy just automatically trashes any Pixar movie).

I knew someone would do this - they do it every year, as far as I know. They purposely give a fantastic film a negative review, just to get attention for themselves and their blog. I can understand how a Pixar film may not be someone’s cup of tea, or they may not absolutely love it, but to say that you wouldn’t even recommend it to someone else is very unbelievable. And if you look closely at those sort of reviews, they are just doing it out of spite. What a loser - he just wants attention for himself because he knew that if he was one of the first to give it a bad review, he would get attention, and it worked! You should see all the people giving him flack for it, though. Heheh.

It’s at 91% now. I think WALL•E will end up getting 100% for the cream of the crop reviews, though. And if I remember correctly, the Pixarians also keep a very close eye on Rotten Tomatoes when the reviews start coming in, too. :sunglasses:

Tomatometer is slowly going up (at the moment its 92%) and by the end of next week it will be at least 95% I hope.

Yup. Cream of the crop usually don’t have hidden agendas, so they aren’t reviewing to get attention.

If you read the negative review, it seems the guy has more than just beef against Pixar. Seems like he’s got some beef against the movie’s politics and message - which gathering from all the other reviews, really serve only as a backdrop to the love story. His other complaints (the movie “drags,” the story falls “flat”) don’t have any real support other than he just “felt that way.” In any case, the guy is obviously biased and no need to take him seriously.

He might be getting a lot of attention now, but he sure is looking stupid when comparing his review to the others. It even seems like he’s outright lying or watched a completely different movie.

95% @ rottentomatoes.com and rising! rottentomatoes.com/m/wall_e/

Roger Ebert’s review here:
rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc … /963071290

98% @ rottentomatoes.com/m/wall_e/

99% aint far, too bad that one negative review ruins chance to get 100%.

Wow… one rotten review out of 51. 98% mostly because of one hard-headed critic… sigh

Make that two, though I think the fans are being a bit harsh. O.o