What do your family and friends think?

I’m sorry to hear that Virginia. It’s difficult because you’re parents have your best interest at heart, but they just don’t understand where you’re coming from. What I’d do is that next time the conversation comes up, explain that your collection makes you happy, and you’re not harming yoruself and others. From what I’ve seen you’re a great kid. You write, have a nice boyfriend. You aren’t partying every night and getting in trouble. Remind them of that.

Thank you! That is good advice. It’s just my mom always makes snide remarks. Sometimes I get lucky and these can be a few days apart. I just feel sort of trapped, because I don’t see why they even care. It isn’t inhibiting my life anyway. I’m thinking about being a teacher, so it isn’t like it runs my life for me or anything. I guess she thinks I should have outgrown toys and princesses and Toy Story and such by now. On one level, my dad is more understanding. But then there’s the dolls. He kind of leaves me alone because I love them, but one day he asked me if I still wanted to be getting them when I was 20. Yes, I do! I never want to truly grow up. Adults are just adult kids anyway.

My whole family likes Pixar, and always go to the cinema to watch their films all together as a tradition. And the youngest of us is 18.

Nobody here is judgemental about them, because we all know (in our different understandings of cinema) that they’re incredibly well made, and that they’re not for any specific age group. In our home, we’ve prohibited calling animated films “kid’s films”.

Other people’s reactions vary. I studied and work with people interested in cinema, so most of them have to like Pixar. The few ones that don’t, obviously don’t know the first thing about the career they’re in. I feel so sorry about them that I can’t care about their opinions.

Also, we’re among the small number of professors that use Pixar films as examples in class. I suppose some students mock us because of it. I don’t care about those either, because they’re beyond saving and won’t ever succeed in the business. But I know that most of them are very open to the idea, and that some of them are even beginning to get into them.

That’s wonderful! People at my school always ask me whether a movie is Disney, and who made it if not. 8D Everyone in the marching band knows the difference between Disney and Pixar.

Oh, well, that IS a problem I’ve had.

A lot of people can’t differentiate between studios.

IV and Bonanna: There was an image macro I saw a few days ago where they wrote something along the lines of:

Just substitute the last word with “Pixar”. Honestly, this whole spiel of “growing up” is hogwash in my books. I’m not saying we should devolve to infantilism and never take on adult responsibilities. We should all “grow up” in the sense that we should choose how we want to live our lives meaningfully and for the good of others, while being independent.

I can understand your mum wanting you to widen your interest. My folks tell me the same too, and this is something I agree with them. As I said in my last post, go deep, but go wide too (I’m tempted to quote the catchphrase of Steve Carrell’s character from The Office here, hurr hurr).

But you shouldn’t have to give up your existing interests, just because somebody finds them “childish”. Even the term is subjective. Which is more childish: the live-action Michael Bay Transformer films or Disney’s animated classic, Dumbo (which is the 56-year-old Pixar CCO John Lasseter’s favourite film of all-time)?

There was a Fox report which compared bronies to infantile adults (I’m sorry I have to use MLP again, but it’s pop-culture’s whipping boy, whereas most people tend to be accepting of Pixar). You can watch it HERE.

And this is my reaction (The film’s The Other Guys, kinda good buddy cop movie, I’d give it about 3 stars).

I went through high-school and college. I have not one, but two degrees (a Bachelor and a Master’s). I work a full-time job, five days a week, eight hours a day, in one of the biggest organisations in Singapore. I’m saving up to afford the (ridiculously expensive in Singapore) downpayment for my mortgage. I pay my own meals, phone bills, living expenses, etc. I can drink, drive, vote, smoke, make whoopee and watch R-rated movies (though I haven’t tried all at the same time!).

So to have people say I’m not an adult - because I just happen to like watching cartoons, among many other things I like to do - is ridiculous. Not that anyone has said it to my face before, but I can see the disbelief on my friends (who watch anime, aka Japanese cartoons, like Gundam and Naurto) when I told them I like watching MLP, or the mild amusement of my brother when I hang Pixar posters on my wall (although he loves Ratatouille, at least, I think he does).

The fact that you’re (almost) a grown-up means that you should have the freedom to like whatever the heck you want, as long as it is not a) illegal and b) morally questionable. And the last time I checked, watching an episode of Teletubbies or Barney & Friends or Pee Wee’s Big Adventure is not a criminal offence (although if I encounter anyone above the age of 10 who likes watching them, I would like to hear the reason, not out of condesencion, but curiousity).

Frankly, I would be surprised if anyone looks down on Pixar or Disney fans nowadays. They have attained the cultural “geek-cool” catchet of Trekkies and Dr Who fans, in my opinion.

One more image:

Again, substitute with Pixar.

John Lasseter is a fan of Buster Keaton!??!?1! I love both of those Keaton films he mentioned in that article, and I’m not surprised that he prefers The General. (Because of the trains of course). And Dumbo is a great choice too, that man has taste. I actually discovered Buster Keaton through the recommendations of another great animator- Chuck Jones. (I also see that Lasseter mentioned some Jones shorts too).

And Even though I’m in my 20s, I still see people with Disney merchandise, or people talking about going to Disney, or liking the films. It’s just that some of us are more into Disney. But I haven’t gotten a lot of hate for it really.

Yeah, that’s me when I have a household of my own.

Yes, as TDIT said, Pixar has achieved an status where it’s very hard for people to make fun of it without looking ridiculous. Somebody would probably say “Excuse me, they have two Best Picture nominations, okay?”, and the offenders will end up as the morons in the scenario 8D

I’m interested in almost anything really. I’ll read or watch a movie/doccumentary about anything. She wants animation to stop being my favorite, really.

The thing about parents is, although they love you, they will never, ever be 100% accepting of who you are. They may tolerate something, but they’ll never understand. And that is present in everyone’s relationship with their parents or guardians. :confused:

I guess that’s true. I just think, I’m not doing anything bad, or hurting anyone else directly. To my knowledge, I’m not even offending any religious groups. :stuck_out_tongue: I guess, I just I wish I could say to my parents, especially my mom. I am who I am. If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. :unamused:

Gotta give props to TDIT for writing that so well. I’m so thankful that my parents really do accept me and are supportive of my love of animation. I have no idea how my friends truly feel about my love of Pixar and animation except that, as I’ve aaid, all my friends enjoy at least one or more of their films. But you know, I like being different in a crowd and being geeky about what I love and enjoy. I do hope that your parents will more so accept your love, IV. Again, there are certainly worse things one could be into than animated movies and cartoons…
Sorry if this comes off a little bumpy, I have a lot of thoughts on this and it’s difficult to get my mind wrapped around this entirely and to write it correctly…

IV: Sorry that it’s sometimes hard for your parents to fully accept your animation love. I would imagine they understand for the most part, it’s probably just different than what they would have expected before you saw all those movies. For sure they’ll accept your love of it in case you decide to go into animation field of any sort (I’m not sure what you want to do when you get older). Once you become the producer of The Incredibles 2, for sure they’ll be totally supportive of what you love! :stuck_out_tongue:

OWP: I’m glad your parents enjoy your love of animation. I also like being different in a crowd that likes to follow each other or go with the latest trend of anything. I love my movies and I like more of them everyday.

I’m glad my parents are completely accepting of who I am and what I like. Part of it is because they know I am my own person, but at the same time I always try my best to pay my respect to them by honoring what they’ve taught me all my life. My parents are the kind who are “always right”, they know darn well how to teach my sister and I right from wrong. And I think that’s why we all enjoy all of the Pixar films. They each teach good family or friend morals that show you what you can do to live a better life in a world where bad things sometimes happen.

I remember the day I told my nan about my love for Pixar. I was so scared that she would turn around and shoot me down. I’m thankful she didn’t, and that she supports me. I’m glad my Best Friend does too, she just got back from Disneyland Paris and has sent me the Diecasts of Lightning and Francesco. God bless her :smiley:

Aw, that’s super sweet!

I’m pretty sure they think I’ve lost my mind…

Ha! I know that feeling. cyber hug

Luckily, my whole family loves or likes all of the Pixar feature films and short films. I think they still think my dream at Pixar could fade away in a couple of years. I’m not sure if they’re taking me totally serious about it, but they’ll be fine with it if I’m lucky enough to work there.

I pray to the gods that someone from Pixar Planet ends up working there.

Let’s do this again!

My parents love Pixar! Not as much as I do, but my mom really likes their movies. So much, that other animated movies usually look a bit lacklustre to her, haha! I try to tell her that not every studio is capable of reaching Pixar-like results, but oh well. :laughing: Though her favourite animated movie is How To Train Your Dragon, even if it is Dreamworks.

As for my dad, he always goes to the cinema with me because he wants to see the movies as well. Well, either that, or he doesn’t want me to go alone (I tend to comment on things happening around me, and sometimes I tend to have the maturity of an eight-year old…) But I managed to drag him (and my mom) to Pixar films from Up onwards (sans Cars 2, which we missed out on) and a whole lot of other animated movies, and he’s admitted that he likes them too. Most recently, Epic. We’re all gonna see Monsters University in a week or two, in the same cinema we saw Monsters, Inc. in, just for the nostalgia. :‘) I’m so glad my parents like it a lot as well, because I hear so many stories from people on the Internet that animation is "kids’ stuff". :frowning: Well excuse me but it’s just as much an art form as those paintings in a museum, thank you very much!