What do your family and friends think?

My mom likes Pixar. She thinks their films are very kind and particularly that Up is one of the most touching animated films she saw in a long time. She sometimes defends Pixar films when others start to watch them and say they’re stupid.
My stepdad isn’t interested in animated films (he never watches them fron the beginning to the end), but he sometimes buys us Pixar DVDs.
My brother loves Pixar movies, I suppose he got that from me.
My grandma liked the films we showed her. I think her favorite is Toy Story 3.
My best friend and her brother are no Pixar geeks, they just love good movies. We always have a company to go to the cinema in them, anyway.
And as of my other friends, only my former classmate loves Pixar. Others mostly don’t make a big difference between Pixar and other companies, so I have no one to talk about Pixar films except my brother. That’s the main reason I’m here :slight_smile:

For the most part, almost everyone in my family is a Pixar fan.
My parents are totally supportive of my Pixar obsession; my mom has seen the first two Toy Story films and loves them and she willingly puts up with my long, drawn-out speeches on why Pixar is so amazing. My dad has seen the first two Toy Storys and as of recent, Cars 2 and he loves them as well. My brother doesn’t make it all that obvious, but he certainly has enjoyed the Pixar films he’s seen; I think his favorites are Toy Story 2 and Monsters, Inc. He actually saw Brave with me, believe it or not!
I have an uncle who loves Pixar almost as much as I do. He’s seen them all and enjoys them all! The last time I visited him, we pretty much talked about Pixar for nine hours! I’m going to have to talk him into joining Pixar Planet soon…
I have an aunt who has enjoyed most of the films, barring the Cars movies (IDK why…). Her favorite is most likely WALL-E. She and I have been movie buddies since the day we went to Finding Nemo, my first theatrical movie experience, and we still love being obsessed over WALL-E. And she totally respects and supports my Pixar obsession as well.
Aside from some of my online friends, I think it’s fair to say that every friend of mine has seen and enjoys at least one Pixar film, even if they don’t share my level of obsession. I’m not sure what they think of my Pixar obsession, which I make obvious all over my Facebook page, but I have no problem with being rather unique!

^I love it when Pixar brings families together!

I used to be a huge Pixar geek, but not as much as I used to be. Do I still like Pixar? Yeah, but like I said not as much as I used to. Basically its like this:

Whenever a new Pixar movie came out when I was younger: YAY NEW PIXAR MOVIE! I can’t WAIT to see it the day it comes out!

Now: Oh cool, a new Pixar movie. I’ll see it when I can.

My whole family for the most part, are still Pixar fans. My dad can get annoying when he quotes them all the time, but I’m used to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I can definitely relate to this. I’m forever a fan, but not as much as before. But I still LOVE Pixar.

haha, you’re dad sounds pretty cool.

Well, I continue to stay a loyal and truthful fan. Pixar’s reputation is so respected in my family that my parents are all for seeing the next Pixar film. In fact, what’s hard is getting them to see animated non-Pixar films, because they just never know, and I hope to catch up on a whole bunch of great films I’ve been hearing about, particularly DreamWorks’ output in recent years.

Back to Pixar: I think they’re great. I love all of their films (well, right now there’s one I’m trying to love even though I still really like it!). Still, I can’t help but feel there’s a sense of worry about what their future holds. I think they’ll be fine at least for another one or two decades, but people are anxiously awaiting a first flop, of which they have not truly had one so far. However, I think the morale and integrity of the studio is far too great for them to put out a bad movie anytime soon. Right now, the worst they can do is put out a film that is less liked than others, but still a very good one.

I still want to try and work for them one day. Hopefully they’ll still be as good as they are, and in case they happen to go into shock mode and run out of ideas, I have two or three that I have been building up in my head for a few months now for safe-keeping. Just saying, in the event of a studio crisis. :wink: But seriously, I am still one of the #1 Pixar fans of the world.

I’m glad to hear that Pixar is appreciated by your whole family! You being one of Pixar’s biggest fans, you’ve found the perfect place to post about it! Good luck on your future animation endevours!

With all the animator-to-be’s that I’ve seen pop in this site, at least one of them one day will work at Pixar!

Somebody needs to tell those “Pixar haters” not to mess with us “Pixar fanatics”! Because we’re right and they’re wrong and there is nothing they can do about it! And also, because those “Pixar haters” are nothing but liars and bullies! No wonder we “Pixar fanatics” need to stand up for ourselves!

Okay, Mom says I shouldn’t have said that…she thinks everyone has their own opinions and interests, and that just because somebody doesn’t like Pixar doesn’t mean they’re liars. I hate to disappoint any of you with this, but, unfortunately, I have to listen to her because she says everyone should be treated with respect–even if it means having to show respect for somebody who doesn’t like Pixar.

Perhaps some of you may not like this post, but unfortunately, I just turned 18 and I’m still living with my parents. That’s why. :angry:

^Actually, I kinda agree with you, evspixarfan! After all, you’re entitled to your opinion, too! I don’t think “Pixar haters” are liars or bullies though (unless they, of course, are lying and/or bullying us)… they just don’t have very good taste IMO. Well, we shall stand up for ourselves as a Pixar-loving community, especially those of us as Pixar-obsessed as us! :slight_smile:

Some of my friends know about my love of Pixar, my famiy on the other hand… My auntie thought I was insane because I love Pixar. She lectured me about how I should grow up! My three little triplet cousins know, including two others. Thomas (who is six along with his siblings. They’re the triplets) Is aware, and when he went out with him mum, he tried to get me a Cars coloring book, but my auntie said no. It upsets me that they don’t understand…

I’m sorry to hear that. The sad thing is that people with that opinion rarely change their mind about it, and we kind of have to live with it. :confused:

Bonanna: Good thing she’s your auntie and not an immediate family member or close friend! My main rule of thumb when it comes to having a passion for something: Does it hurt anyone or anything? This includes yourself.

In this case, the only thing that’s hurt is your auntie’s (close-minded) thinking. So, by all means, carry on!

My brother and close friends know I like to gush about Pixar (and other animated films and shows) all the time. I think my parents have some idea cos’ I have posters and a pair of Wall-E and Eve plushies, although they probably wouldn’t know the studio behind the films. Nobody besides you guys here know about my fanart and fanfics. I’ve also met two Pixar Planet members, and they’re every bit as wonderful and friendly IRL as I felt they were from the forum.

On a similar vein, I’m a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. My dad still thinks it’s “My Little Pony And Friends”. My mum and siblings are cool with it, they even support me attending the Australian convention next month. I tried to get my best friends to watch it, but they still think it’s “sissy” after a few episodes, so I left it at that. It’s okay to talk about what you love or believe in, but nobody wants to be forced to share your opinion. I’ve attended a few meetups in Sydney and Singapore, there’s good and bad folks in there (as with any community).

I have also been bullied in high school before - but not because of my fandoms, I only started following Pixar in '06 when I fell in love with Cars. So believe me when I say that I know what it feels like to be ostracised or perceived as “weird”.

Again, the rule of thumb is whether what you are doing is hurting anyone. I know there are various deviant groups on the Internet (just take a stroll through deviantART, Fanfiction or, heaven forbid, 4chan), and while I may not be a member of such interests, I respect that this is what they do, this is where they feel a sense of belonging, and this is where they find love and support, and I’m glad for them.

As always, everything in moderation. I used to log on to this forum almost every day when I was in uni, but now with work commitments and other interests, I log on every alternate day or so, sometimes going for several days’ break. And I don’t think about Pixar or ponies all the time, I have other indulgences too.

Go deep by all means, but go wide too so you know more about the world and are more balanced. Then everything will be fine and you can be comfortable with yourself.

Lately my parents have been super judgemental. I’m graduating in May( :unamused: whatever) and they will not get off my back about how I need to broaden my perspective, and they want me to stop collecting dolls and animated movies and things. IDK what to do honestly. I would ignore, but it’s difficult to ignore your parents. I don’t see how I’m hurting anyone by liking “kid things” honestly.

Thats what I’m afraid of also. No-one ever said that Pixar and animation was limited to young children, and because its your parents, its gonna be so much harder to argue with them. I don’t live with my parents, but my grandparents. I doubt my granddad knows or would really care, my nan certainly knows as she gets me all my DVD’s, I’m sure shes fine with it because she hasn’t put up a protest, but that may be because she knows I want to work at Pixar. I’m afraid that her attitude will change when I graduate high school in two years. :confused:

I’m sorry to hear that Virginia. It’s difficult because you’re parents have your best interest at heart, but they just don’t understand where you’re coming from. What I’d do is that next time the conversation comes up, explain that your collection makes you happy, and you’re not harming yoruself and others. From what I’ve seen you’re a great kid. You write, have a nice boyfriend. You aren’t partying every night and getting in trouble. Remind them of that.

Thank you! That is good advice. It’s just my mom always makes snide remarks. Sometimes I get lucky and these can be a few days apart. I just feel sort of trapped, because I don’t see why they even care. It isn’t inhibiting my life anyway. I’m thinking about being a teacher, so it isn’t like it runs my life for me or anything. I guess she thinks I should have outgrown toys and princesses and Toy Story and such by now. On one level, my dad is more understanding. But then there’s the dolls. He kind of leaves me alone because I love them, but one day he asked me if I still wanted to be getting them when I was 20. Yes, I do! I never want to truly grow up. Adults are just adult kids anyway.

My whole family likes Pixar, and always go to the cinema to watch their films all together as a tradition. And the youngest of us is 18.

Nobody here is judgemental about them, because we all know (in our different understandings of cinema) that they’re incredibly well made, and that they’re not for any specific age group. In our home, we’ve prohibited calling animated films “kid’s films”.

Other people’s reactions vary. I studied and work with people interested in cinema, so most of them have to like Pixar. The few ones that don’t, obviously don’t know the first thing about the career they’re in. I feel so sorry about them that I can’t care about their opinions.

Also, we’re among the small number of professors that use Pixar films as examples in class. I suppose some students mock us because of it. I don’t care about those either, because they’re beyond saving and won’t ever succeed in the business. But I know that most of them are very open to the idea, and that some of them are even beginning to get into them.

That’s wonderful! People at my school always ask me whether a movie is Disney, and who made it if not. 8D Everyone in the marching band knows the difference between Disney and Pixar.