What do your family and friends think?

Oh dear… are you sure they’re your buddies? :neutral_face: What’s their problem anyway? Do they have any idea what they’re missing? Maybe it’s time to find some new ones…

As for me, I would bet my friends and family have an inkling that I like this studio, but they probably aren’t aware of my level of ‘geekiness’ for it.

For my friends, my best mate and a couple of other close pals in my ‘inner circle’ are probably aware I’m a fan of their films ever since I started university (which was round about the year after I saw Cars and went ape-shiz crazy over this studio). Since Ratatouille, I wore Pixar-related wallpapers on my computer based on what movie is being released that year (like Remy looking over Paris for 07, Wall-E and Eve on the moonlit bench for 08 and Carl and Co. hanging onto the floating house this year), so that should be a big clue for them. And if the topic ever drifts to animated films or Pixar, I would be the ‘trivia’ guy saying “Did you know that the director of Up is also the one who did Monsters Inc?” or “Did you know that John Lasseter likes to wear Hawaiians?” “Did you know…did you know…did you know…?” And most of these facts are not even obscure to begin with! I also would be the one showing them the latest featurettes and dragging them to accompany me to watch their latest film in theatres. My best friend understands my geekdom (and is probably the closest one to knowing how much I love their films) and he likes Ghibli and anime on the other hand, so we kind of joke about each other’s obsessions. Other than that, my other pals are either unaware of my fandom, or just take it as is.

With my family, it’s different. Usually it’s my bro who would be the one hearing me talk about the various animation news (like stupid Dreamworks sequels or the new Princess and the Frog trailer) so I slip in a couple of Pixar references now and then. He has also probably heard some of my fan commentary sessions, and I’m not sure whether he knows what I’m recording them for. My sis probably had a hint when I went with her to buy a couple of film posters for Christmas last year. I don’t know about my parents, but I have a feeling they wouldn’t approve. They’re not exactly the kind who would understand my love for films and animation in general, and they weren’t too happy with my degree choice either (Digital Arts), seeing it as a lowly profession for cash-starved artists. So I don’t talk to them about it, sadly enough. I watched a couple of Pixar DVDs’ special features (alone in the living room, while the rest of my family go about their business) over my last vacation with them, but I’m not sure if they’re any the wiser.

Other than you guys, my fanwork and activities here and on other sites are a mystery to everyone. I kind of live a ‘double-life’ of keeping up with schoolwork and hanging out with my pals, and talking with you anonymous folks and creating fan sigs and vids for you to enjoy. It’s as if I’m a ‘closet’-Pixar fan who is reserved about letting people in on his passion. As I described earlier this year, my parents came close to barring me from this website (probably because they think I’m mixing with bad company on the Internet or something, even though I explained to them that most of you are not the type), and they went a little ballistic over it. So I’m still pretty bitter about that incident, and I’ll probably never let them know until I’m older and we can talk on even terms. There’s always the chance they may stumble upon this post as guests, and I’m dreading the day that happens.

I really wish that I had a person in real-life to sit and have a coffee with and talk about what we know and love about this studio and their movies, but for now all my fan-art, fan-videos and my presence on this forum will have to remain what it is: a closely-guarded secret.

lizardgirl - Ha-ha. You’re most welcome, and thanks! :smiley:

Yeah! Way to go. Preach! :smiley:

I know what you mean… kind of. I love talking to my parents and my sisters about the studio, since they’re on-par with my views (although I’m still the odd geek out), but I don’t have any friends per se, and most of the people I know as acquaintances probably wouldn’t care to sit down and talk about Pixar for several hours.

You know, what really needs to take place is a collective gathering of all of us geeks here on Pixar Planet. One of these days, we’ll have to meet in one spot and just… chat away. It kinda sucks that we’re all so far apart! (heh)

– Mitch

With my father, he thinks of Pixar as the company that makes definite good movies. He buys the DVD’s when they come out and he takes me to the theatre to see a Pixar movie once it comes out. He enjoys talking with me about the movie after it ends.

With my mother, she doesn’t like animated films in general. I ask why, she responds with,“This can’t happen in real life.” This is alright with me, because I know she only enjoys dramas (that also have an unlikely chance of occuring in real-life…like a guy who needs a kidney, but his twin won’t give it to him because of a past love affair :stuck_out_tongue:)

My cousins are for Dreamworks…Grr.

My classmates haven’t even heard of Pixar…Grr.

My family knows I obsess over Pixar, but not TOO many of my friends do. The ones who do are just kind of silent, like I obsess over Teletubbies or something. Although I have talked to people about it. I found that most everyone loves The Incredibles, a bunch like Cars, several like Toy Story and they all seem to like the short films in front of them.
Concerning my family though, they arn’t real big on movies to begin with, but they do like Pixar.

Ok, so here’s the deal. Ever since I’ve seen Up, I haven’t been able to shut up about it. It’s really gotten to the point where people think I’m annoying! My family more or less gets it, I’ve gotten obsessed with stuff kinda like this before. My mom and my brother have seen it, and they liked it, but I’m the only person I know that’s this into it. Several of my friends love it, and have seen it 2 or 3 times, but I’m like scaring them with how much I keep seeing it. Truth be told, I’ve never been this engrossed by a movie before, it’s really amazing.

The people at the theater actually know me now, and end up ringing up my ticket before I get to the counter. :stuck_out_tongue: They think I’m a bit nuts, but I’m content with it. I mean really, who can get onto someone for loving a Pixar film?

Don’t feel too bad, I’ve only walked out during the credits twice, and I usually end up singing with Muntz during the end of the credits. I can quote most of the movie, and hum the score throughout. I even know what order some of the stuff in the credits is in. Total Up geek right here, you’re amongst similar company! :slight_smile: No harm in loving a masterpiece, it’s all good.

Yeah, I have like 1 friend that does that with me, but I don’t talk much with him. I wish I had someone to geek out with. A convention or gathering of some sort would be incredible, I’d absolutely LOVE to go. It’s a bit lame that there’s so many people overseas that wouldn’t be able to go, but it also would how much of a dedicated following Pixar has for those that would. I really hope that this place could get something like that together. I’d be all over that. Any idea if the admins could pull something off like that down the line? I’d be glad to help if I can!

I’ve been wanting to watch all the movies at some point this week, probably tonight and tomorrow. I’m planning on seeing Up again,… in about 2 hours, and again tomorrow, so I guess I could try to do a chronology of sorts. Haven’t seen Monsters and some others in a while.

I have been trying to find someone who’d see Up with me for (my) second time…so idk, I guess my friends are indifferent or don’t know…Well I just checked on Facebook and one of my friends said that Up was awesome. Lulz, we’re geeking about it.

My dad embraces my fandom. One time I quoted Ego, and he started playing along with it :stuck_out_tongue: Its kind of surprising he actually remembers Ratatouille, I don’t think he’s seen it since it was in theaters… D:

Mom’s kind of in the middle. She thinks Pixar makes good films, and she thinks its worthwhile that I want to work for them, but she has this mentality about things…like if they aren’t real or fact, then they shouldn’t be worth…fangirling (lul) over? idk something like that.

I find it sad that some of my friends aren’t approving of my Cars obsession. I need to find some sort of Cars-lovers convention myself. I’d never want to leave! Only a few of my friends at school understand me, and I have a few online friends that I can sometimes talk to. They are all Cars fans like myself. But it would help if my friends at school were Cars fans too. I would love to be able to do more than just type back and forth about it. I would love to do stuff with a Cars fan. But so far, that hasn’t happened yet. Maybe me and my one friend who are the same age will meet and take that Route 66 trip we’ve always wanted to do since Cars came out.

It’s sad that not only do my own family not follow Pixar films, they are the average, stereotyping folks who thinks of Pixar movies as ‘cartoons.’ Can’t help it; a lot of Singaporeans who don’t speak English or aren’t influenced by the Western culture probably thinks the same. But it’s not really their fault; they are just stuck in their own culture where serious emotional drama series are the true golden tales that move them. Cartoo… I mean animated films were not a part of their lives and now, they see these non-live action characters running around entertaining kids worldwide, one close-minded Singapore ought to think that these films are nothing but silly cartoons.

That’s why it’s sad. In a tragic way, not a pathetic one.

My friends are pretty much neutral. They don’t mind watching a Pixar film, considering the quality, but they are not like totally obsessed with Pixar, which is fine. Another group of classmates (not my 4 closer classmates) in my college seems to have a much higher movie intelligence, however, so that’s comforting. But, those group of boys always get their facts and trivia wrong. They are not totally obsessed either, but I think they would have a little bit easier of a time smelling out a good movie from a bad one than my other classmates, so they might catch [i:2wty3pv5]Up[/i:2wty3pv5] when it comes out in September. I hope. If so, I would most definitely go catch it with them. If not, I’m gonna shove it in their faces. Just kidding. But, convincing them to watch an animated film, even if it’s Pixar and even if they might be a little bit more movie-smart, would still be somewhat difficult. A try’s a try, though. Wouldn’t hurt.

As for that close personal friend of mine? I don’t know about him. He told me that he likes Pixar films and shares that same movie passion as I do, yet, he seems a bit hypocritical at times, and not just about that movie passion. I don’t know. He never lied to me before - so far as I remember - but he’s done a lot of things that deserve my suspicion, even if he’s my three year supposed best pal. <_<" Best and [i:2wty3pv5]only[/i:2wty3pv5] pal, but I digress.

So, yeah, that’s pretty much it. I’m living in a country where Pixar movies are only worth as much as [i:2wty3pv5]X-Men Origins: Wolverine[/i:2wty3pv5]. A little disappointing and quite scary, too. There are a few Singaporean critics and movie goers that know their movie, though, but none that I have know personally, so far, unfortunately for me. It would be nice to meet some good movie lovers of my own nationality, but I guess that’s not happening anytime soon. :-\

I guess I’ll have to settle for [b:2wty3pv5]thedriveintheater[/b:2wty3pv5]. No offense though, dude. :P

~ Flare

None taken. :wink:

If I happen to be in America when you plan it, call me. :slight_smile:

Box-office cashier: “Hey, it’s that Pixar kid again. Roll one for Up again.” :laughing:

thedriveintheatre yeah, pretty much. Everyone I know knows that I’m nuts about it, and if I see someone I haven’t told about it, I preach to them. :smiley: My collection of 3d glasses is getting a bit big though, my theater doesn’t offer it in 2d (which is a bummer, I like it more in 2d, and it’s cheaper. More money for Pixar I suppose, I’m trying to help the earnings :smiley: )

Oh yes. I am quite well known for my Pixar fandom. My friends will “listen” to whatever news I have and I have been teased about my fandom. I went to Wal-Mart with a friend of mine who I see rarely, and I saw all the Pixar movies on their own shelf, lined up in their pretty shiny cases and I was :open_mouth: but we had to leave. I’m as bad as an all-out fangirl to Twilight or a 12 year old girl to the Jonas Brothers or Hannah Montana.

I have had someone ask me to borrow The Pixar Touch. Exciting. :smiley:

And one of my friends is considered the Disney half of the two of us, and she mentioned that in one of the papers we wrote to read to the class ;D

Well, I took my dad to see Up tonight, and I think he enjoyed it. I was hoping that it would bring up some subjects to talk about, but he pretty much resisted it. My dad and I don’t get along all too well. He’s not mean or anything, he just doesn’t like talking about stuff. I really wanted him to see it, and I’m glad he did, but I was expecting a different reaction. sigh

That’s a shame, ffdude1906, though at least he was open-minded enough to go and see it in the first place. I don’t think I could convince my dad to go and see Up. :laughing:

At first, almost all of my whole family member thought that even Disney Classic and Pixar movies were just cartoons, nothing more than an entertainment for kids, but my mom started to look at my talent at drawing when i gave my first portrait of Donald Duck when i was 3

Since then my parents start to think differently, they bought lot of Disney Classic LD (yeah Laserdisc, not VCD or DVD, it was 1994), my mom rly support me to take an animation course now even that my father is kinda disappointed (it’s so stereotypical here that someone is called success when s/he becomes a doctor, not animator)

As for Pixar, my mom rly loves Ratatouille, she already watched it 5 times xD, both me and my sister are a huge fans of Pixar from the age of Toy Story till now.

Aside from ppl i mention above (mom, me and my sister), they still think like any other narrow minded ppl out there =(, in Indonesia animation isn’t that appreciated like abroad =(

*sry my English is bad, it’s not my mother tongue :blush: *

Tell me about it! I hate it when people think lesser of art as an occupation. It’s a job, and it’s not one that’s illegal or hurts people (in fact, it sometimes makes them happy!).

Well lets see how to answer this without boring everyone to tears…

Home-Base - I finally think my parents worked out my obsession when Mr Lasseter’s letter arrived on my doorstep, or would it when I purchased Cars Branded Cloth to have made into a Waistcoat (Still need to get that done too), Or could it be the placement of Remy plushies, the constant pleading for a Woody and Buzz Lightyear Doll… Or would it be my ability at a young age to speak much of Hank’s Scripts as the dialogue was going on, buying my mother Pixar themed Presents (A Bug’s Life on DVD, Mike Plushie, LGM Plushie) for her Birthday. But then we have always been a DIsney Animated family, and with the exception of Seeing Beethoven at the CInema, I do declare Toy Story to be one of my first memorable Cinema experiences at the age of 8. mainly cause I was stunned and scared at the concoctions Sid created!

Its a habit my girlfriend has taken up too… Which was weird, she now owns 7 out of the 9 released on DVD… The Majority of which I bought for her… Vaentines Day last year when Ratatouille was released on DVD in the UK… We gave each other the Ratatouille/Pixar Shorts Vol. 1 Boxset for Christmas this year it was WALL-E (I got in on Blu Ray, she on DVD) For my 20th Birthday we went to see Ratatouille in the Cinemas which I enjoyed immensly watching it for the second time as I couldn’t wait the day between its release until the end of the month where my birthday was.

The Real World - Besides you guys, and members of another Disney forum, anyone who gets to know me as a friend or colleague learns of my passion. My love has resulted on the other forum with Nicknames being thrown in my Direction increasing in rank as I recently topped 6000 posts in 14months… From Captain Pan of Pixar, To Admiral Pixar, as I do not take lightly to having someone label Meet The Robinsons and Chicken Little as Pixar, along with the Opening of “PixQuiz” a sort of Pixar Based Triva, leading to my defence of Disneyland Resort Paris’ rumours of Pixar themed attractions as people comment on Walt Disney Imagineering loosing its imagination and going for the easy option, whilst using Sources and “A little Birdy” to keep my friends in the loop.

Friends and Colleagues perhaps not notice my passion for Pixar, but more of My Passion for Disney- Some of which received comment for learned animators working with animators at Aardman and friends who reply with birthday presents of Plushie Remy’s whilst stunning others when I relay information about either company and thier works but also gains laughs which causes embarrasment- in my University interview for teaching I brought up Pixar and Disney and gained my place in discussion with lecturers on the way in which The Lion King was Hamlet in Animation and How the Storys with morals can all be shown for Social Education by placing the Magic of Pixar’s Lamp onto the screen. its been a comment that saw the shut down of a lecture in which a lecturers mention of Buzz Lightyear flying in to that planet and fetching the battery in Toy story… “Err… Correction there Dr Grigg… That Would be Toy Story 2”, coming out of my mouth and the vivid retelling of the opening right until the “Game Over” screen saw the lecturer dumb founded and quite concerned! Recently I wore a High School Musical Basketball Kit to teach the pupils PE on teaching Practice, and was the laughing stock of the Staff room, which at the time almost forced me to quit my practice and re-consider my career.

My Drawings are the other point of call in which people notice my passion for the subject- I don’t take thier comments to kindly also, as those who ridicule my love for the Studios are the first to praise my work but leave me de-jected and embarrased and usually force my closing of the Sketch book or Shutting down of the phone!

Like many of you, it seems as though the outside, “mainstream” world looks down on people like us; making us seem like childish fanatics who are obssessed with cartoons. Well, in truth we are exactly that - but the term I’d use for die-hard fans like us wouldn’t be “obssessed” … I think “passionate” is a much more fitting word. :wink:

As for my family, my two younger brothers like Pixar, but they haven’t really grasped an appreciation for the heart and depth of their films. My sister on the other hand is just as die-hard as I am about Pixar. My parents really don’t see it as strange, although they too don’t seem to realize what exactly it is about Pixar that makes us tick, but they do accept it and enjoy the films with us. (Recently, I think I’ve been getting WALL•E to grow on my mom a bit, and she HATED that movie. I have no clue why.)

Outside of our family, well, not so much. From our peers especially, we get the usual “Well I watch real movies, I hate cartoons and don’t see the heart in them” crap, but we’re so in our own euphoric Pixar stupor that we usually don’t give a crap about what they say. :laughing: Now, when they start bashing Pixar and bashing the films, nonono. We don’t stand for that. Conversations can get pretty heated if someone dares to diss Pixar, or any of their shorts, characters, or story plots. However pretty much everyone we know knows that we’re into Pixar, and then they’ll go say things like, “Oh how was that movie Monsters vs Aliens? Didn’t you see it? Isn’t that a Pixar movie?” :imp:

Thing is, my parents recognize that Pixar has done something good in us that’s caused us to totally have a passion for film and art, and has propelled us in the right direction concerning our futures. (When I say “us” or “we” I do mean me and my sister. :stuck_out_tongue:) Before Pixar became real to us, a film was a film. Now Pixar is like the standard for every single movie we watch, and we’re constantly comparing characters, storyline, camera angles, movie scores, settings, background imagery, lighting, basically everything that makes a movie to Pixar’s accomplishments in film. Sooo… yeah. I think it would make sense to say that like the rest of you, we’re die-hard Pixar geeks, we love it, and we don’t care at all what people think about that. :wink:

little chef

Seeing as I can’t keep my fandoms to myself, everyone, and then I seriously mean EVERYONE I meet, gets to know about my Pixar obsession.

My parents and friends think I’m kinda annoying at times, and in school, I am known as Up-nerd. xD

But, almost everyone I meet loves Pixar, though. My parents like them too even though they don’t mention it much. Whenever I put a Pixar movie on they always tag along to see it too.

Yeah, everyone makes fun of me except my really good friends. And yes, my parents and siblings get on me about it. But, being a hugely-obsessed-mega-fan is still fun. :smiley:

My friends and family all love Pixar and Disney. But not as much as me. :slight_smile: