What is Pixar's best movie?

I love them all equally, all these 11 masterpiece films are part of my life, but I think that TOY STORY 1 and FINDING NEMO are the legacy of Pixar and in general the best pixar films, but nowadays most people (non-fans) will see TOY STORY 3 as the best one, , now if you ask me which is my favorite I will say WALL-E

I agree that Toy Story or Finding Nemo could be. But I still personally think Wall-E is the best.

Finding Nemo is a very well-rounded film. It contains all the key components of the other greatest Pixar movies, in my opinion. And it’s a great way to introduce people to the studio.

It’s my least favorite, but it’s still great, and I still love it.

Defintely WALL-E and Finding Nemo are the studio’s best. Finding Nemo probably more, it was more successfull from a box office stand point. I also feel that it’s much more popular than WALL-E (not necesarily on Pixar Planet, but in general, from what I’ve noticed)

After reading posts and stuff, I agree with bryanbmp in that, in a way, they’re all masterpieces. And, like with every Disney film, each Pixar film is going to be someones favourite and also someones least favourite. Where is the line between general consencous and personal opinion drawn though? And moreover, why should it even be drawn? Right, so someone thinks Cars is the best Pixar film, even though it is frequently regarded, along with A Bug’s Life, as Pixar’s worst. And even if that is to a degree true, who cares? They’re still great films, right?

Pixar’s “best movie” isn’t always going to be their signature film. It’s like, I love Thomas Newman and I have hours of his music, but I prefer the score to A Series Of Unfortunate Events over the score to American Beauty, even though the latter is his “signature score”. And the same applies here in a way; yes, the Toy Story series has it’s fans, and lots of them, but I don’t know how many people here would regard them as Pixar’s best. Groundbreaking? Oh yes. But the best they’ve done? Personally no.

I chose WALL-E because it is my personal favourite, and not just everyone elses. It comes across to me anyways as a bit of a “marmite film” to people who aren’t big Pixar fans, rather, people who just go to the cinema with their kids or whatever. Whenever I come into a new work placement with my WALL-E bag (it makes me look about 12, but oh well!), they’ll be someone who goes “oh, that was a great film!” or “oh, that was the most boring 1.5 hours of my life!”. But WALL-E, to me, is the deepest of Pixar films because it’s full of ideology, intentionally there or otherwise, and I personally like a film where I can sink my teeth into and have a think about it. And whats even crazier is that it’s a film I thought I would despise; being called “Eeeeevah” by my peers initially really annoyed me (because I’m one of those people where everything has to be just so). But that aside, sci-fi? Robots? 30 minutes of silence? Ugh! It sounded so dull! And of course it wasn’t; it ended up becoming my all time favourite film.

Having said that, other factors rather than “just liking” the film plays a role too. I adore A Bug’s Life, my second favourite behind WALL-E, even if it is a weaker film. It’s cute, colourful, funny, and Flik is downright adorkable. But more to the point, it’s a childhood favourite, the film I watched so many times as a 6 year old, the VHS almost blew up.

And whilst Pixar do well at coming up with stories that sound downright barmy and making them into brilliant films, like UP and Ratatouille, I also think Pixar do well at the more simplistic, dare I say it, child-friendly films. Like Leirin mentioned, Finding Nemo quite often seems to be a winner with near enough everyone. It’s cute enough to appeal to kids and yet thematically mature enough for the adults too. With Ratatouille and WALL-E, and UP to a degree, it’s maybe not very interesting to young children in todays age of video games and explosions and DreamWorks animation, although it should be :unamused: .

Sorry if I appear to be rambling, but it was something to get off my chest :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure FN and TS3 are the most popular and acclaimed. :frowning:

Well, they are. At least, i see it that way. no need to be sad about it.

This is a really tough question, and I don’t think there is one right or wrong answer - Just speaking for myself, even when I try to be objective, my emotional reactions are going to sneak into this.

I guess the first question is how do we define best. I started thinking, if someone showed up from an alternate dimension, who knew nothing about Pixar, and I could show them only one Pixar film, what would it be, and the answer I kept coming back to was the original Toy Story. It’s not the most sophisticated in terms of animation, but it has a nice, tight, cause-and-effect plot, quotable dialogue, engaging characters (including a well-managed supporting cast), it plays into our childhood fantasies of toys being alive, has a nice mix of nostalgia, charm, quirk and “edge” - Are there elements of the other films I would put ahead of it? Sure - but for the total package, I see TS as the sort of film that will hold up as a classic, the way we look back now at The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca or Singin’ in the Rain or whatever films from 50+ years ago we still love and watch over and over.

I love your answer, Karly. And I think it’s one of the best, as well. It’s got a better story and graphics than some new movies I won’t name. And that’s a tall order for the first of its kind. <3

I asked my family and they all have mixed choices. Two people said that Toy Story 3 was Pixar’s best movie, I and my twin bro said it was the Incredibles, and my parents think it’s Finding Nemo.

Here’s what I think. These are the only ones I would ever call “best”:

-Wall-E(winner in my book)
-Up
-Toy Story
-Toy Story 3
-possibly Ratatouille

^I think I’d agree with that. Maybe with Ratatouille a touch higher. When you look at the kind of things the Academy wants in a movie, they definitely suit them all.

Oh, I wasn’t ranking them by likelihood. I just typed them out as they came to mind. 8D Sorry, I should have clarified.

No love at all for Finding Nemo, IV? At this rate, I’m gonna vote Nemo to be the most underappreciated Pixar movie :frowning:

I really don’t think FN is good enough to be the best. And it’s not the most under-appreciated. It has a smaller fanbase on this forum, but among regular moviegoers, it and TS3 are the most popular. Ironic…

i’m going to go with wall-e. granted, i might be biased since it /happens/ to be my favorite pixar film as well, but really. it’s so, so lovely.

however, i will say the original toy story comes really, /really/ close (for me, at least), as do up and ratatouille.

^ I agree entirely. Wall-E is the most universal, I think. And TS and Ratatouille are definitely up there.

Nah, A Bug’s Life would definitely have to be the most underappreciated. :frowning:

Agreed. Outside of this site, FN isn’t under loved at all.