What language would you like to learn?

I wish my university had more foreign language courses, such as Chinese III (I was lucky to get Chinese II) and Japanese II, but I guess I can make up for that by studying on my own time, taking community college courses, and traveling abroad once again. I think it would be a wonderful experience to teach English to kids in China, but I would probably only be able to do it in summer, and with having to wear long sleeves to conceal tattoos in an environment like that… Er, I’d probably get heat exhaustion. 8D

I want to get a book that teaches me french. Anybody have any books that teach you french?

I don’t, but I have a Spanish dictionary, and a German one too. Now that I think of it, I have quite a few books in German. Including my Great Grandpa’s bible that he got not long after he immigrated here from Germany.

My brother wants to learn German. He changes the Xbox 360 language into German, but we don’t have any German books either.

I wish I remmebered the German I took in high school. I hope your brother learns it!

Reminds me of this funny instance:

youtube.com/watch?v=lbxiueae2MU

When I was little, I was obsessed with the Spanish language and Mexican culture, probably due to watching Dora The Explorer way too much :mrgreen: . So I wanted to learn Spanish, and my parents got me a pack of Instant Immersion software. I did learn a lot of Spanish words, but I never actually ended up learning the language or how to say a sentence in Spanish. So now, my mom and I have been considering using the Rosetta Stone software and learning Spanish. And when I’m done with Spanish, I want to learn Italian so I can not only translate all of Guido’s dialogue in the Cars films, but I can get a diecast Guido and appropriately say all of his lines in Italian! :slight_smile:

I can’t speak Italian myself, but my mother and her family are from Italy and Guido’s lines are basic enough so I can understand them all :smiley:

If you’re interested in one in particular, tell me 8D

never thought this thread would get 152 replies! :slight_smile:

That’s legit! And that’s so great that your parents did that.

It’s a good topic! I love languages!

Update!

I’m in the process of learning Spanish. I’m just finished my second semester. I’m going to pass the class, but I’m going to retake it because I want a solid foundation of the language so far, bc Spanish 3 is very difficult. (Subjunctive case, why you so lame?)

Other languages I’d like to learn:

*Latin
*Portuguese
*Irish Gaelic
*Hawaiian
*German

I know, they’re all crazy different.

I would like to learn:

Welsh - I am actually Welsh and we did have to learn it in school, but I can’t really remember any of it :blush: :stuck_out_tongue:
French - I also took French in school but I still don’t know as much French as I’d like.
Italian - I think it’s a beautiful language and would love to be able speak it.
Spanish - Same as Italian.
Latin - I find Latin quite fascinating :slight_smile:

Yes, both of these.

I’m honestly learning Spanish only because I have to. I live in California so, to get a job these days it’s a extremely important to know Spanish. I’d rather be taken Latin or German classes.

I want to learn Japanese. I am quite interested in Japan itself,plus i’d be able to understand Ghibli films without subtitles or annoying dubs! 8D

When I come to think of it, I would like to learn Japanese too^^.

I would like to learn French, Italian, or Japanese. I just finished taking three years of Spanish, and while I can read, write, and understand the language pretty well, I am not comfortable enough with speaking it. I just freeze up and can’t speak the words or remember the words properly enough. I can only sometimes do it if I have rehearsed and know what I am going to say ahead of time. :-\

[quote="LQstudiesPixar":37gm4n6v]I would like to learn French, Italian, or Japanese. I just finished taking three years of Spanish, and while I can read, write, and understand the language pretty well, I am not comfortable enough with speaking it. I just freeze up and can’t speak the words or remember the words properly enough. I can only sometimes do it if I have rehearsed and know what I am going to say ahead of time. :-\[/quote:37gm4n6v]

Awesome, since you have a handle on Spanish, it’ll be easier for you to learn French and Italian.

Oh, thanks for that! I did know that Italian (and I think Portuguese?) are also close to the Spanish language, but I didn’t realize that French was as well. :astonished: Well, that makes me feel better. :wink:

Yep, they’re Romance languages. Meaning they derive from Latin. Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Romanian are the most commonly spoken Romance languages, but there are some other minor ones.

I’ve recently become really interested in the Japanese language. I’m thinking of following classes. I’ve picked up some words from music, cartoons, and whatnot, but all I can say is I love Donkey Kong. (ドンキーコング 大好き) but that’s all I need. xD Nah JK.

But seriously, I’d love to learn it once. :slight_smile: Gonna take a long time, though…

That’s awesome that you know some basic Japanese! I hope you become fluent some day!

I can’t imagine learning a language with a completely different alphabet, like Chinese or Russian. It’s like you have to learn both the language and the alphabet. For people with that kind of patience, good for you!