What lurked under your bed as wee children?

When I was little I was afraid of big bird on sesame street.

:cry: The reason why I was afraid of him beacause I found out he was a robot.

Big Bird was a robot? How did I not know that??? I thought

he was just some dude in a costume, or a giant muppet or something. Wow, the world seemed so simple before this

moment…

I think that he was a Muppet.

They control the puppet by staring at a video monitor that shows what the audience is seeing, and they work the

puppet with the other hand.

I think he was a little big to do that, Bill. :wink: I don’t know, I thought he was a costumed person.

GD - Actually, a person was inside the puppet, with the monitor. I don’t know how to explain it, I’m just telling you what I learned from Brian Henson (Jim Henson’s son). But wer’e getting off topic here. Back on topic…

I have said this before, but I will say it again. I wasn’t really afraid of stuff under the bed when I was a little kid. Instead, I was afraid of the stuff outside my house.

I’ve probably said this before too. But I wasnt afraid of monsters in my room. I was afraid of like, robbers, and those serial type killers you see in horror movies. Everytime I heard a noise I thought there was someone in the room trying to get me or something…

You have pretty much said it all for me there lennonluvr. :wink:

I used to love watching The Land Before Time, and Pizza Hut had this promotion where you could buy a plastic hand puppet of each of the characters. So we collected them and eventually we had the whole set. But the nasty dinosaur, named Sharptooth, freaked both of us out at night. It would be on the dressing table and the eyes looked scary. So during the day we threw it over our next door neighbours fence, into their bush. I always wonder if they had found it, or it’s still there under the bush.

The Land Before Time dinosaurs - the “scary” one is 3rd from the right:

There was also a wooden owl that was hung near my door, which is at the end of a long hallway. I would get scared of its eyes at night (as well), when we would get up to walk to the toilet. So I convinced mum to throw it away.

rachel - You have the The Land Before Time toy set?! I want it! :open_mouth:

– Mitch

Yeah rachel, sharptooth was kinda scary when I first saw him. Even at night, he gave me the chills!

Mitch - No I don’t. I’m sorry. We threw the Sharptooth one over the fence, and the rest were either given or thrown away. There are a few on ebay, though.

Hmm, when I was little I would run to my bed from the door because of the Foot Leopard that lived under my bed. It was either blue with purple rosettes, or vis versa. Geez, it’s been years since I’ve thought of it.

rachel - Aw man. Oh well. Perhaps I’ll take a look on Ebay one of these moons…

Haunt - Haha. The “Foot Leopard”… (snigger)

Shoo! I thought I was the only one :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow, it’s been a while since anyone responded to this.

Unlike most kids, I didn’t think of monsters hiding under the bed or in the closet- I thought they were hidden in the walls, waiting until I shut my eyes so they could pop up from the wall, fly towards me, and “dance” around me, judging what kind of a dream I should have each time.

What movie did you watch back then? :laugh:

I was a little sneaky and peeked into some of the scary movies my parents watched. (I was a little hesistant to watch Monsters, Inc because at first I thought it was an animated horror movie. Boy, was I wrong.)

But the “jumping out of walls” idea just came to me. I didn’t get it from a movie, at least I think not.

I had two ‘monsters’.

One was that strange black blob like that thing on the moomons (moomins? can’t remember). It was a depressing character on tv, and I felt sorry for it, but also afraid of it at the same time (weird huh?), so sometimes I thought it hung around my house when I was little. In my dreams I had the bizarre urge to both hug and run away from it at the same time.

Later that monster got replaced… by a caveman. Yes, that’s stupid and weird, but it was this miniture caveman all hairy and strange with a nose sticking out of its masses of black hair. When it ‘scared’ me its eyes would pup out all bloodshot and horrible. Definitly human in some ways, but it only came up to my ankle in height. It was just horrible. Didn’t feel sorry for it. I just hated it.

Makes no sense at all, does it? Hah!

Black Widow Spiders. I was terrified of them as a child, and I always imagined them swarming under my bed at night, waiting to strike. Yeah, I had an active imagination.