Who do you admire? (The Tribute Thread)

That’s a great choice, Badger! :smiley: He’s one of the best animators ever, IMO.

Yes, I like Glen Keane too! My personal favorite animator of all times is of course, the one and only, Chuck Jones.

Oh yes! We most certainly cannot forget Chuck Jones <3 I’d say Glen Keane is one of the best contemporary animators, however. :slight_smile:

Steve Jobs for sure. RIP

Definitely. :frowning:

It’s kind of sad how we don’t know who we appreciate greatly until their gone. RIP Steve Jobs.

Oh yes, I agree!

Thank you for everything you’ve contributed to the world Steve Jobs. I defintely admire you.

It’s still really depressing to me how and that Steve Jobs died. :frowning:

Read in article in my school paper about why we shouldn’t mourn Steve Jobs. I regret reading it.

Oh no, was it saying he was a dirt bag, or something like that?

No, just the treatment and exploitation of the people in third world countries who get the minerals and such for Apple products.

Oh, I see. I mean, I feel as bad for those people as anyone. I really do. But does that really make someone’s life not matter?

Yeah, it truly is awful, but I doubt Jobs had much a say in the matter. :frowning: It’s just how the world works unfortunately.

This isn’t one specific person, but one group of people I admire are firefighters.

^I agree :smiley:

Long list!

*Gandhi
*Marquis de Lafayette
*Alexander Hamilton
*George Washington
*Hillary Clinton
*Chuck Jones
*John Lasseter
*Buster Keaton
*Charlie Chaplin
*Orson Welles
*Abraham Lincoln
*Theodore Roosevelt
*Jesus Christ
*Sacagawea
*Abigail Adams
*Harriet Tubman
*J.K. Rowling
*Lady Diana

I LOVE that list e-j-e! I’ll make a new one when I’m not so plum tuckered out haha.

Thanks! I’m trying to think what it’d be like if they all went to the same party.

Long live Gangnam Style!

One recently-famous person I admire is South Korean rapper and music sensation, PSY.

Yes, I’m a fan of the man of a billion Youtube views, despite the many naysayers who complain that they’re sick of hearing his Gangnam Style, praying for his downfall, wishing the parody videos and TV appearances would end.

Why? Because this is a guy who loves what he does, and is fearless in his convictions.

Born Park Jae-sang into a rich family (his dad owns a conglomerate), PSY grew up with a love for music after seeing a performance of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen. As a class clown, he entertained his classmates with lewd jokes, much to his teachers’ disapprovals.

He was supposed to study business administration at Boston University, but spent his tuition funds on instruments and computer programs instead. The aspring musician reached a low point in his life when he was arrested for marijuana possession and missed his grandfather’s funeral. After a brief stint at Berkley College of Music, he grew impatient and returned to South Korea without obtaining a degree from either institutions.

This is a man who’s not afraid to speak his mind. He was fined by the South Korean government for his first album, for “inappropriate content”. His subsequent albums generated no less controversy - a 2004 performance of a song by a South Korean rock band that criticised the United States and its military for their role in the Iraq War returned to haunt him 7 years later, for which he has since apologised.

But he was also humble and self-effacing. During his first appearance on a foreign network in Japan, PSY introduced himself to his Japanese fans with a sign that read “I’m a famous singer well-known for driving the audience wild in Korea, but here, today, I’m just a little chubby newcomer”.

His mega-hit music video, Gangnam Style - in which the chubby singer pranced about Gangnam in a blue blazer, skinny jeans, and bow tie - flooded Youtube and forums with memes and spin-offs. I, myself, discovered him and the song through a Tumblr entry from brony artist John Joseco. His shot to superstardom earned him guest appearances at Saturday Night Live, Ellen, MTV Music Awards, and even a meeting with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon.

When the Youtube video broke the one-billion-views record, he even said of his fans: “I can’t believe they didn’t get sick of it!” His satrical take on the rich elite of South Korea’s wealthiest district has singlehandedly rejuvenated the Korean “Hallyu” Wave, kickstarted his home country’s tourism industry, and has been appropriated by political and environmental activists like Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei and NGO Greenpeace for their campaigns.

But, despite his sudden rise to meteoric fame, he will always be known to his fans as the “Bizzare Singer” (his stage name is derived from the word “psycho”), a man who is not afraid to stick it to The Man and have a laugh at both their expenses. In a world of drop-dead gorgeous pop artists with no substance to their music (just think of how many popular songs are about rave parties and binge drinking nowadays), his unconventional voice is the one we really needed to hear.

Again and again and again.

Tumblr post

I like Gangham Style, that song is amazing. And yes, Psy is talented. With this I agree.

It is fine to speak your mind. But I believe some of his more controversial talents are rude and tactless. Which is why I can’t admire him. But his contribution to music and talent can’t be ignored.