Who's Your Favorite Up Character?

1. Carl
    2.Dug
    3.Russel
    4.Ellie (she would be higher, and I do love her, but I got to know the others better, as they got more screen time.)

I wonder why I didnt post here yet. I’d have to go with Russell, mainly because he’s the one who made my laugh the most. Although Dug is a pretty close second.

You’re right, Russell is adorably cute, and he’s cute in a sort of - how can I put this? - Well, it’s like he sort of sneaks up on you with how cute he is (speaking for my own reaction). There are two bits that really get me: One is when Carl first lets him in the airborne house, and we (and Carl) see just how scared he is - then, just like Dug, in the space of a couple of breaths he is off on another tangent, intrigued by the flying house. The other is the Badge scene, Russell’s reaction, then the salute, then the hug - such a big “Awwww” moment.

karly05 - Most definitely. I like how you worded that – how he “sneaks up on you” with his cuteness. Heheh. When I first saw the basic model for Russell some time before the film came out, my initial impression was that he was more… goofy than sweet. He carries with him a humorous nature, of course, but not in the way that I expected.

Regarding those moments you mentioned: Ha-ha! Yeah, I love the moment where he runs into Carl house and just… stands there stunned before snapping out of it in a split second. It’s something that a kid would do, and I love how Pixar stoops down to that level – they make their films altogether relatable for both kids and adults. And, of course, the badge sequence is… almost illegally adorable. (snigger)

Besides the campfire sequence, one moment with Russell that I really liked is probably one that most people overlook – it’s the part in the film where he shouts out, “I found sand!”. Having been raised in the city, he probably didn’t get to see sand very often. Perhaps he had never even been to the beach before. My family and I live about an hour away from the ocean, but, even though we’re pretty close to it, we hardly ever go; we mainly stay around our residence here in the city. When I was a kid, I loved little things like playing with (or discovering) sand, and I still do, so, from my point of view, I found this moment in the film to be very relatable, as brief as it was.

– Mitch

I love the bit where Russell runs in the house then calms down because not only is it a true, believable “kid” reaction, it is a good, specific Russell reaction that shows him as a bright, curious, observant kid. I like the arc of him “getting” how the house steers and trying it out, then telling Carl how he steered them to South America (which turns out to be true), then we finally actually see him flying the house to the rescue.

I always took the “I found sand!” line to be a reference to something from his Wilderness Explorer handbook: “If you are in the Wilderness, and find sand, that means…” ???something about where you are??? It’s like, for Russell, “Sand!” is a clue as to what this “not the city or the jungle” environment is.

karly05 - Agreed. It was a subtle, yet effective, way of further introducing the audience to his character.

Mmm. Yes, that’s another reasonable explanation. I didn’t think of it that way, but taking into account his reaction it would certainly make sense. Perhaps it’s even a mixture of both?

– Mitch

1. Carl
  2. Russel
  3. Dug
  4. Kevin, the funniest character! xD

Carl. Although all of the other characters are of course masterful in their creation, The basic track of Carl and Ellie’s life mirrors mine pretty closely. We married very young. She loves adventure, I am more low key. My wife and I sat in a doctor’s office a lot like the one in the film, with that same droning doctor giving us the facts between sobs that had to be painful for a person to make, and all I could do was stand there. I was simply stunned when I saw that scene, and by the end of the sequence I was openly crying. Now I am a big bear-like 41 year old, so I probably freaked out a few kids! I had been a comfortable rut for the last few years, letting my dreams slip away. Up woke me up. Literally. Someday I will tell Mr. Doctor and company the service they did me, that I can never repay. So yeah, Carl.

Love that post Joe, nice to hear it connected with you so well. Big high-five for Carl, by far my favorite character of all time. :slight_smile:

Incredible film, just got Best Picture Nomination. Best day ever (barring the actual Oscars, when they’d BETTER give it the award, but probably won’t. Still, I can dream)

I know Up inspired a lot of people, but for it to connect so well with you so well is amazing, ArtJoe.

Dug is awesome! He is really funny and so adorable!

Alpha. Oh god, does that voice crack me up. :laughing:

1. Carl
    2.Dug
    3.Russel
    4.Ellie (she would be higher, and I do love her, but I got to know the others better, as they got more screen time.)

(I just copied and pasted my post from my old account.)

My fav character from the UP movie is definitely “DUG”… there is so much you gotta love about him & the whole “Squirrel” gag… he is just to me, the absolute best…

Oh yes, the “Squirrel!” brings so many memories… :laughing:

‘memories’?! ^ , Up only came out last year, not like you watched it when you were eight, maybe then it could bring back memories :slight_smile:

Hmm this is an extremnely tough decision. I love all the characters to death but I guess if I had to choose I would pick Russel :-D) <3

My favorite characters are Kevin, Muntz, Alpha, and Carl (in that order). :sunglasses:

My favorite characters are Kevin’s babies and Dug.

Pixarinho*, /i meant that my siblings and I had a lot of fun with that line. :smiley: