Who's Your Favorite Up Character?

I’m going with Carl, mainly because he had a strong turning point 3 quarters into the movie, that had me cheering for weeks. I also love all the metaphors used like how the score represents Carl’s feelings, the condition of the house represents how willing he is to hold on to the past…but Dug is second. ;-p

I too shall go with Carl. He is an island of sanity amongst the hyperactive, awesome, memorable characters in the rest of the movie. He provides the much needed balance I guess.

I can’t believe that I haven’t posted here yet!

One amazing thing about Up is it’s colorful cast of characters. I really like Ellie, even though she was gone by the first 15 minutes. She’s pretty, loving, loyal, and fun. I love her dresses as well!
Even though her physical role was short, her precense in the movie is very important.

I love how he refers to his house as Ellie. So sweet. <3

I love the scene where Russel asks Ellie if he can keep Kevin. <3

“She says I can keep him.”
“But I told him no!! I told you no.”

:laughing: One of the funniest parts, with “Oh please, oh please be my prisoner!!”

Haha yeah and the scene “I"m tired! and I have to go to the bathroom” “I asked you if you had to go 5 minutes ago” pause “but I didnt have to go then” It always cracks me up. :smiley:

Yeah, the whole movie is just perfect. :smiley:

1.Carl
2.Russell
3.Ellie
4.Dug
5.Kevin

I even like Munzt, as evil and bitter as he may be, I like him. One of my favorite Pixar villians he is.

Carl. His emotional struggle throughout the movie, trying to live in the present and accept how things are now, versus clinging onto the past and never being able to see what lies ahead, is very, very powerful, and is something I think we could all apply to our lives some day. He’s a very amusing character to watch, too. I love how the Pixar designers made him very “circular” as a child, but he becomes like a weighted down brick as he gets older because of Ellie’s death. He’s also like a surrogate father/grandfather to Russell by the end of the movie, I think that’s a very heartwarming relationship. :smiley:

When I first saw the movie I was obsessed with Russell. I still think he’s a great character. As an animal lover (especially of birds!) Dug and Kevin appealed to me quite a bit. Muntz is also perhaps one of my favourite Pixar villains :wink:

EJE, Muntz is the only Pixar villain I ever sympathized with. I think he was wrong, and he deserved to die, but he’s the only one that I could respect. I don’t know why.

I think for me, out of all the characters who have a predominant role in the story it would have to be the following.

1. Carl (he was the one I could relate to the most)
  2. Dug
  3. Kevin
  4. Russel
  5. Muntz

I know Ellie was immensley important to the story, but for obvious reasons I can’t really put her on this list.

Now, I loved all of these characters save for Muntz. As I said in my review I didn’t think Muntz was one of Pixar’s strongest antagonists, his motivation was flimsy at best, but he did more to help the film than he did take away from it so I don’t complain about him too much.

I love Russell and Doug. Carl’s great too but I just love Russell and Doug. If I was going to put it into a list of the top 5 it’d be:

1. Doug
  2. Russell
  3. Carl
  4. Kevin
  5. Muntz

I liked Muntz. He wasn’t Pixars best villian. but I think he’s one of them. :slight_smile: x

You have just about the same list as I do, LovePixar! :smiley:

Nice list LovePixar! Here’s mine

1. Ellie
  2. Dug
  3. Carl
  4. Russell
  5. Kevin
  6. Muntz

I think my favourite has to be either Carl or Dug. Carl is just so sweet, I really sympathise for him. I just want to squeeze him <3 And then Dug, Dug makes me want another Golden Retriever pup! He is just so gorgeous and funny. N’aww!

Probably Kevin. She got me since her first apparition.

I also love Carl and Ellie, Muntz is an awesome villain, Russell is the best laugh ever and Dug is adorable even when I don’t like dogs. And don’t forget the house, a character by itself.

So you have a perfect cast on a perfect movie.

Carl’s a good character because he changes a lot. I also like Charles,one of Pixars best villians. I say it may be a tie for them.

I think I’m the only person who has Ellie as a favorite character!

^ No, you aren’t. She’s partially my favorite, tied with Kevin. I’m totally in love with Ellie’s character.