Widescreen vs. Fullscreen

I don’t know why they just don’t do what they did for one of the Finding Nemo DVDs: Extend the image both horizontally and vertically. It makes more sense and would suit everyone’s tastes.

It actually took me a while to get used to widescreen, since I was brought up on fullscreen as a kid. Now, of course, I realize the benefits of widescreen.

– Mitch

Sorry Mitch. I don’t understand what you meant by extend the image both horizontally and vertically. (Do you mean it’s out of proportion or is it the original proportion but only compatible with widescreen TVs or something else?) Can you please explain it again? [thanks :wink: ]

Definately Widescreen!
I even prefer 2:35:1 over 1:85:1! I have a widescreen LCD tv, so those small black bars won’t bother me.

But if you have a full screen, movies in 2:35:1 have larger black bars than movie! It’s 2008 widescreen is the new way :slight_smile:.

Well, I’m curious, My Pixar Movies from The Incredibles onwards are Widescreen.

But Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc. and Toy Story 2, fall under these ratios

Finding Nemo —> 1.78:1
Monsters Inc.—> 1.85:1
Toy Story 2—> 1.78:1

I’m just curious because these movies of mine fill up the entire screen with image and I’m afraid if it was cutted or something.

I really like to thank Brad Bird for orienting me on comparing Widescreen and Fullscreen version of movies when I watched my DVD copy of The Incredibles.

JhOpZzZz - These are the original aspect ratio’s. They are widescreen.

1.78:1 and 1.85:1 are called widescreen. 2.35:1 and 2.39:1 are called cinescope. Cinespoce is extra wide, made for the white screen. So with these movies you’ll get black bars, even on a widescreen tv.

Wow. Thanks, christvs, that’s really informative.

Thank you sir! There Will Be Blood, anyone?

Thanks for the info. So in short, My Pixar DVDs from The Incredibles onwards are Cinescope. I can really see the full scope of one of my most loved scene in the movie.

Remy and his wild and deadly ride on the sewers.

Once i relized how much fullscreen actually cut off, i went with widescreen. but before hand id always go with full because the black edges would bug me if i noticed it lol.

It makes me wonder how large of a screenshot the animators make… because im sure its even larger than what is shown on wide screen.

90% of my DVD collection is widescreen, which is much more preferable!

Ever since the advent of the DVD format, I’ve always refused to watch something unless it was in its Original Aspect Ratio. Yeah, for many things that’s gonna be widescreen… and clearly that better suits modern televisions. However if I’m going to sit down and watch some Lost in Space or Brady Bunch on DVD, it’s sure as heck going to be in fullscreen… and having your TV/player stretch it out to fill the 16x9 frame doesn’t count as proper. :unamused:

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who sit back, watching a $2000+ HDTV with a distorted image; and somehow delude themselves into thinking they’re getting great quality 'cuz somehow blowing a ton of money on a TV is enough.

I was perfectly willing to tolerate the letterboxing on my 4x3 TV back when I started buying DVDs, and similarly I’m now willing to tolerate pillarboxing on my 16x9 displays when watching material that was originally 4x3. There’s a massive archive of 4x3 content… the vast back catalogue of television programs… many classic films… etc.

So we’d better get used to some pillarboxing, IMO.

Don’t know the difference between two.
can any one please elaborate.

I like widescreen better, it looks better that way.

I dare anybody who prefers fullscreen to do this:

1. Take a screencap from a widescreen movie
  2. Open said screencap in the image editing program of your choice.
  3. Crop the image to 4:3 ratio keeping as much important detail as you can: A little bit wider than a square, but not much. When you crop it, do NOT include any of the black bars.

You may notice that you have trouble getting a good “shot” so to speak, or that you can get the main characters, but you lose important background details or secondary characters. When you opt for fullscreen format, you are watching an entire film built on this exercise.

As soon as I started making icons, I stopped watching fullscreen. In fact, I’m going to work on an example right now.

I voted widescreen. It’s more beautiful that way.

Definitely wide screen. That goes for any movie.

Yes. I can’t think of any movie at the moment that’s better in full screen.

I haven’t seen the fullscreen version of Ratatouille and I don’t plan to. But I have seen both the fullscreen and widescreen versions of some other films and widescreen is always much better. So I say widescreen because it looks better that way, it is how the filmmakers intended it to be seen, and you get most or all of the image whereas in fullscreen alot of the image is cut out.

Wide screen: Cinamatic quality.

I don’t see how full screen could possibly be better. And I’ve tried. 8D