Will CARS 2 beat FINDING NEMO in Domestic Box Office ?

Truer words have never been spoken. If anything, it’s the haters that don’t give the movie the chance it deserves that will bring the movie down.

I almost forgot, as I explained to someone in other thread, the CARS hate comes mainly from the internet, some critics and a lot of teenagers, but out there moms, dads and kids LOVE the film, remember that CARS is one of the BEST SELLER DVDs of all time, tons of money in merchandise, and how WELL people reacted to the first film, GOSH, it had a multiplier of 4.0, that means excellent WORD OF MOUTH, I am rooting for HUGE numbers for the sequel

It’ll blow way past Finding Nemo.

x3haijessiex3: there is a thread about it:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7862

If it does, Pixar can thank those 3D ticket prices!

LMAO, sorry if that came across as a bit arrogant. I really need to read previous posts :smiley:
Jess, I agree that people can be snobby about Cars and DW. You’re right, Cars was a good film. I don’t think anyone can really deny that. Well, maybe they can, but…oh I’m losing track again… 8D

x3haijessiex3: I think you’ve brought up a lot of interesting points. Cars has a larger fanbase of a younger audience who has seen the first movie, as opposed to the older generation who grew up watching the first and second in cinemas. Common economic theory dictates that young adults have the greatest tendency for discretionary spending (that’s just fancy talk for saying “Usually kids spend more pocket money”) because they have a weaker concept of saving or future-investing.

So I think all these kids will convince their parents to go and watch the sequel to the film they enjoyed in '06. Not saying that all Cars fans are below 18, but it is a higher tendency than those who went to see Toy Story 3, and as you know, kids can be very persuasive! And when they drag their parents along, that’s another two tickets in the bag for Pixar!

Whereas for Toy Story 3, or grown-up fare like Rango, it tends to attract the ‘hipster’ college crowd, who will usually go alone or with their friends without their parents tagging along. For Cars 2, it’s the kids, their friends and their reluctant parents (unless these parents also happen to be Pixar fans!).

You couple that with the extra 3D surcharge, and you’ve got the recipe for box-office success. This is a ‘four-quadrant’ pic, kids are gonna dig the toilet humour, teens will love the action sequences and the romance between the characters, and the adults will enjoy the spy movie and Sean Connery references.

And of course, I agree with you that I get extremely annoyed when people say Dreamworks or other studios aren’t “as good as Pixar” instead of objectively judging the film on its own merits. That’s like going to Popeyes, and saying that the chicken there doesn’t taste as good as Nandos.

And, I agree with you that I also get annoyed when people go into an animated film expecting to be moved to tears as much as they did for the ‘Big Three’ (Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up) or ‘Four’ if you count Toy Story 3. I think Pixar kind of set the benchmark high and shot its foot in the process, because now people will have the expectation for not only its future films, but for films of other studios to have a ‘weepy scene’ or something which will emotionally tear them apart. That doesn’t have to be the case with every movie, and I certainly wouldn’t want that. I think Pixar is taking a break and just cutting loose and doing something fun with Cars 2, although I would be pleasantly surprise if I do weep or was moved to tears eventually.

Films such as Spirited Away simply aim to amaze and enchant, while others like Rio just fill you with joy and hope. A movie doesn’t have to be a ‘weepie’ or make you cry in order to be a storytelling success. As long as it elicits an emotional reaction, be it fear, suspense, happiness, anger or disgust, it has managed to move you. Of course, we all would prefer the ‘fear’ and ‘happiness’ responses rather than ‘disgust’ or ‘anger’, but you get what I mean.

Anyway, long story short, I agree with your points, and that we should really give Cars 2 a chance. But that doesn’t mean that we aren’t allowed to make criticisms, as long as they’re constructive (“I think that it would’ve been better if they hadn’t used that bidet gag”) instead of destructive (“Ew… Cars 2 sucks. It’s for babies.”). There is a difference!

thedriveintheatre: It is a different age group, but it’s much larger than Toy Story 3’s fanbase I’m sure. Well, I can’t really be sure, because I’m stating it on observation. :stuck_out_tongue:

Out of curiosity, do you think that Pixar may make this a film for crying? Maybe not in the beginning, but towards the end? I only say that because with Up, they put it in the beginning and end. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for constructive criticism being allowed, yes it is. But, make sure it’s actually constructive (yours always are :wink:) and not purposely offensive.

I don’t really want this to be a sad movie at all. I want a nice cool down movie, likw Toy Story or A Bug’s Life after the plethora of sad Pixar movies we just got.

actually it’s a mystery, but Larry The Cable Guy said this:

the full interview:

video.about.com/movies/Larry-the … Cars-2.htm

Thanks for the link, Bryan!!

I think he’s just talking about all of Pixar’s movies, not Cars 2. But if he is talking about Cars 2, I’m trying to figure out what it may be!! :laughing:

That terrible trash that doesn’t even deserve the name of Pixar is the third current highest grossing film from that company? Cars 2 better beat it so that it can disappear off the charts for good.

Brave will beat it if Cars 2 doesn’t.

Are you referring to Finding Nemo? It seems you’re holding some sort of irrational hatred for that movie, and it can’t be healthy. Go take a deep breath!

No, Finding Nemo is good. It is the second highest grossing film for Pixar. I am talking about UP, which was a terrible movie, and for goodness sake should not have been made by Pixar. Even Dreamworks, a company I hate, could have done that film better. It just doesn’t suit Pixar.

Up is great. You’re crazy-talking. Go take a walk or something.

Having said that, you’re entitled to your opinions.

If you’re terribly rude, which you are, you’re not welcome here.

If you want to be disrespectful and rude, go somewhere else, but be respectful here.

The only thing that’s trash is your absolutely disgusting behavior.

Don’t worry about it. Let it go, don’t let this argument happen, its really not worth it.

I’m sorry, but how is giving my opinion being rude? I was not lashing out against any person. I was merely saying that this film, which does not even deserve the Pixar brand name, should not be third highest gorssing Pixar film either. Each Pixar film can be summed up in one word, except Up, and it is too realistic, boring, and just like too many other movies to be Pixar.

Toys, insects, monsters, fish, superheroes, cars, rats, robots, don’t even know WHAT to put for Up.

That’s a completely rational and justified reason to call something trash, eh?