Will CARS 2 beat FINDING NEMO in Domestic Box Office ?

I never said that I don’t hope for it, of course I do, I’m just saying it’s a stretch.

I don’t think TS3 will be on top forever. I think none of the upcoming Pixar films announced will beat it, but I’m sure eventually they’ll beat themselves again.

I, personally, just have a feeling they hit their limit. Toy Story 3 was literally almost perfect.

Exactly, one day another film will beat the record, it’s a cycle like that.

tdit: Haha, that’s one reason I enjoyed Rio so, because it was enjoyable for my group of adult friends, as well as my friends little sister! However, from my expiriences, and my friends, the kiddies enjoyed Rio more than Rango.

Eh…I still don’t think lightning strikes twice like that.

“I made it out once.”
“You got lucky once.”

Please keep in mind that I’m all for Pixar going to infinity and beyond, but I just don’t think it’ll happen any time soon with the said movies: Cars 2, Brave, and Monsters Inc. 2.

Oh and before anyone tells me luck had nothing to do with it, I’m fully aware. :wink: I was just using the reference to add emphasis.

Oh, I was saying I don’t think brave, MU pr Cars 2 will. But eventually they will defeat themselves. :smiley: Just like Up was defeated…very quickly. :frowning: For me, I thought Up would never be stepped over by Pixar. I was wrong.

I think most people selected no with this because they’re trying to make a point of how annoying Cars is to them. :unamused: Oh well, we get a sequel. :stuck_out_tongue:

/beingababy ;-p

With the high 3D and IMAX ticket prices (which would have inflated since last year), and the strong Cars fanbase, it’s a very real possibility that Cars 2 might beat Finding Nemo and even TS3 this year.

If Brave gets enough kudos from film critics and industry observers, I think it also stands a chance to beat Finding Nemo, but as to whether it can beat TS3 and Cars, that remains to be seen if it is released in 3D as well. The 3D surcharge is really one of the reasons most animated films are box-office successes, although it’s not the only one.

I know that it will beat the first Cars for sure, but I’m so iffy about it beating Toy Story 3. I mean, I hope I’m wrong. :frowning:

Hey what are everyone’s thought about Kung Fu Panda 2 and Cars 2 beating each other? Which movie do you think will win?

You guys are saying like Cars 2 is the next Dark Knight or something. It’s not. There’s no way it will beat Toy Story 3, as its fan base is nowhere as large and loyal, plus the demography is too different (Cars 2 is definitely geared towards the younger audience). I personally went back to see TS3 (as well as Up and Wall-E) at least once or twice more, because I could afford it. I know a few people who do the same, because they’re older, and have their own freedom to do it. No matter how good Cars 2 story is (I doubt it’ll be as good as TS3, but that’s besides the point), kids below the age of 10 are not likely able to make their parents bring them back to the theatre a few more times. So in that sense, it will not have the same box office power of TS3, that’s what I’m certain of. Even reaching the box office figures of Up/Finding Nemo would be a bit far-fetched. It’ll comfortably beat Cars though.

I think it’ll be Cars 2. I don’t have a concrete reason, it’s just a feeling. But I am no fortune teller!

Sure, there’s no way it will beat Toy Story 3, but don’t tell me that our fan base isn’t as large or as loyal. We’re definitely loyal and we are defintely in second place when you put the movies in order of popularity. Don’t tell me that the amount of money a movie makes is stating popularity, when it clearly isn’t. When Cars was the lowest amount of money Pixar made and every single kid you see will scream KA-CHOW when they see Lightning’s face and saying TUHMATER WITHOUT THE TUH when they see Mater’s face.

The demography is geared towards everyone, like every other Pixar movie, it just happens to have a lot more children watching it because as a kid, you can’t tell me you’ve never seen faces on cars in the street. Kids love things that talk that don’t really talk. Watching Cars now instead of when I was in 6th grade when it came out, the movie has a lot more lessons and richness that I had no idea about. People just don’t give it chance like the other movies because they go into it with negative thoughts.

Using YouTube comments as examples and Tumblr comments, there are a lot of adults and teenagers stating how exciting the movie looks, so you can’t judge how many times they’ll see it. You have us Pixar fans too, mostly teenagers, who are probably going to see it a billion times.

It won’t have the same power as Toy Story 3 because, everyone who saw it as a kid, saw it now, and saw their childhood characters almost dying. If it was Cars that came out, then Cars 2, then Cars 3 with insert sobby story here, it’d be the same thing.

Toy Story 3 has nostalgia attached to it and I’m convinced that’s the only reason it was as successful as it was, besides the story. If Toy Story 1 had Toy Story 3’s story, it would just be any other movie.

People act as if Toy Story 3 was the best movie ever, it was great, but it wasn’t the best movie ever. If there weren’t nostalgic qualities about it, no one would have cared that much.

If people gave the sequel a chance instead of complaining about a movie that didn’t even come out yet, they may actually be surprised. Pixar has already showed us they put in a heavy amount of work. They’re working their hardest on this movie, I believe. See, they obviously didn’t like the reviews the first Cars movie received, so they’re going to try their best to change that. Cars 2 has already shown us that it’s a totally different story, with totally different characters, with totally different backgrounds. So if anyone is seriously comparing this to the first Cars, they should already be pleased with the fact that this story is already a billion times better than the first.

It’s a whole different movie, give it a chance.

Give it a chance instead of pointlessly bashing a movie that didn’t come out yet. Give it a chance instead of complaining about what you feel is a poor character choice when the movie didn’t even come out yet. Give it a chance before you complain about what you feel makes a bad story when the movie didn’t even come out yet. Give it a chance before you say harsh things about Pixar (like saying you’ll never trust them) when the movie didn’t even come out yet.

Give Pixar a break, for movies’ sake, it’s PIXAR. Have some faith. Support their choice in creating a sequel for Cars. Because everyone knows that if Cars 2 turns out to be amazing, they’ll give the first Cars some respect. Support their choice in creating a sequel for Cars because this is the studio we look up to. Support any movie they create because Pixar has shown us nothing but good.

Cars may not have brought you to the ground crying your eyes out, but it was a good movie.

Cars 2 is going to please us.

But don’t expect every single Pixar movie to make you cry, to make you laugh, to make you think. If every single Pixar movie did that, that’s absolutely boring.

Give the movie a chance.

It disgusts me how snobby some of the members on this site are.

“Well, this Pixar movie didn’t have what that Pixar movie had.”

Good, that means Pixar isn’t making the same thing over and over again.

“Dreamworks is terrible! I didn’t see the movie, but since it’s Dreamworks, it’s terrible!”

Oh, shut up already with this pointless Dreamworks hate. Until you can show me a movie that you made that’s as good as any film studio, then how dare you judge a movie you haven’t seen.

“Gosh, it didn’t make me cry, so that means this movie has no values.”

Oh, so you mean a Pixar movie is bad because it didn’t make you cry? Gee, didn’t know that was a crime.

“This is a stupid choice!”
“I hate that character!”

Um, okay, don’t see it. Why are you still complaining? It really isn’t that hard.

“Oh gosh, Cars is such a Dreamworks movie.”

And…that’s a bad thing, how?

This snobbishness really needs to go.

That and the serious amount of negativity a lot of people have before their next movie comes out. You already know it’s going to be good because time and time again, you’ve been proven wrong. I think it’s time everyone starts feeling excited about their movies, like a fan should.

I already explained the reason, but here it is again what I wrote in an early post complaining about the same thing:

[i]Don’t take it in that way, to start with I absolutely love A Bug’s Life, it is one of the most underrated Pixar films

A Bug’s Life is the least grossing Pixar film beacuse it was released in 1998, when ticket prices used to be much cheaper than today

You can realize that if A Bug’s Life had been released last year, in 2010, it would have grossed more than 270m+, surpassing the incredibles however all these numbers are subjective because if we apply the same method to all PIxar films, they will increase in their final B.O.,

All Disney-Pixar Flicks have been big hits in their respective years

A Bug’s Life was the the FOURTH higgest grossing film of the year, and it made more money than Toy Story overseas.

finally I wrote that option in the poll because, you know, “haters” will never believe that Cars 2 will be BIG, and I just wanna laugh of them when all is said and done[/i]

Truer words have never been spoken. If anything, it’s the haters that don’t give the movie the chance it deserves that will bring the movie down.

I almost forgot, as I explained to someone in other thread, the CARS hate comes mainly from the internet, some critics and a lot of teenagers, but out there moms, dads and kids LOVE the film, remember that CARS is one of the BEST SELLER DVDs of all time, tons of money in merchandise, and how WELL people reacted to the first film, GOSH, it had a multiplier of 4.0, that means excellent WORD OF MOUTH, I am rooting for HUGE numbers for the sequel

It’ll blow way past Finding Nemo.

x3haijessiex3: there is a thread about it:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=7862

If it does, Pixar can thank those 3D ticket prices!

LMAO, sorry if that came across as a bit arrogant. I really need to read previous posts :smiley:
Jess, I agree that people can be snobby about Cars and DW. You’re right, Cars was a good film. I don’t think anyone can really deny that. Well, maybe they can, but…oh I’m losing track again… 8D

x3haijessiex3: I think you’ve brought up a lot of interesting points. Cars has a larger fanbase of a younger audience who has seen the first movie, as opposed to the older generation who grew up watching the first and second in cinemas. Common economic theory dictates that young adults have the greatest tendency for discretionary spending (that’s just fancy talk for saying “Usually kids spend more pocket money”) because they have a weaker concept of saving or future-investing.

So I think all these kids will convince their parents to go and watch the sequel to the film they enjoyed in '06. Not saying that all Cars fans are below 18, but it is a higher tendency than those who went to see Toy Story 3, and as you know, kids can be very persuasive! And when they drag their parents along, that’s another two tickets in the bag for Pixar!

Whereas for Toy Story 3, or grown-up fare like Rango, it tends to attract the ‘hipster’ college crowd, who will usually go alone or with their friends without their parents tagging along. For Cars 2, it’s the kids, their friends and their reluctant parents (unless these parents also happen to be Pixar fans!).

You couple that with the extra 3D surcharge, and you’ve got the recipe for box-office success. This is a ‘four-quadrant’ pic, kids are gonna dig the toilet humour, teens will love the action sequences and the romance between the characters, and the adults will enjoy the spy movie and Sean Connery references.

And of course, I agree with you that I get extremely annoyed when people say Dreamworks or other studios aren’t “as good as Pixar” instead of objectively judging the film on its own merits. That’s like going to Popeyes, and saying that the chicken there doesn’t taste as good as Nandos.

And, I agree with you that I also get annoyed when people go into an animated film expecting to be moved to tears as much as they did for the ‘Big Three’ (Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up) or ‘Four’ if you count Toy Story 3. I think Pixar kind of set the benchmark high and shot its foot in the process, because now people will have the expectation for not only its future films, but for films of other studios to have a ‘weepy scene’ or something which will emotionally tear them apart. That doesn’t have to be the case with every movie, and I certainly wouldn’t want that. I think Pixar is taking a break and just cutting loose and doing something fun with Cars 2, although I would be pleasantly surprise if I do weep or was moved to tears eventually.

Films such as Spirited Away simply aim to amaze and enchant, while others like Rio just fill you with joy and hope. A movie doesn’t have to be a ‘weepie’ or make you cry in order to be a storytelling success. As long as it elicits an emotional reaction, be it fear, suspense, happiness, anger or disgust, it has managed to move you. Of course, we all would prefer the ‘fear’ and ‘happiness’ responses rather than ‘disgust’ or ‘anger’, but you get what I mean.

Anyway, long story short, I agree with your points, and that we should really give Cars 2 a chance. But that doesn’t mean that we aren’t allowed to make criticisms, as long as they’re constructive (“I think that it would’ve been better if they hadn’t used that bidet gag”) instead of destructive (“Ew… Cars 2 sucks. It’s for babies.”). There is a difference!