You have 65535 new messages.

Was browsing the site when this notification popped up…

Then I refreshed the page and it went away, but not before I took a screenshot. Just a bit of a funny glitch, probably. I mean, I like receiving messages (who doesn’t?) but that amount may have taken a while to go through. :sunglasses:

That’s never happened to me, but that is scary! :open_mouth: I would think I had gotten in trouble or something. I rarely get messages and when I do, it’s because I’m in trouble. :laughing: So … yeah, I’d freak. xD

Probably just a bug. I mean, that is a lot of unreead messages.

Laugh out loud! :laughing: I wish I was that popular…

I don’t even think the inbox can hold that many! :laughing:

Yeah, well, it takes a lot of work to be as popular as I am. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wonder if ‘65535’ is the number of messages ever sent here, that’s why it was chosen… Well, my inbox is 100% full, but I can still receive messages, no problem. Actually, that may be the reason why that glitch occurred in the first place - because my inbox is totally full. But I just can’t bear to delete most of my messages, though.

Well, 65535 = 2^16 - 1, so assuming that the address space starts at 0 (which it often does) and that each message is at most x bytes in size, then I’m guessing the capacity of the inbox is:

(2^16)*x bytes = (2^6)*x KB = 64x KB

Obviously, I made a few fundamental assumptions (the biggest one being that 65535 even had anything to do with the inbox capacity), but this is my guess anyway. That was actually pretty good review for my Operating Systems final exam :laughing:

(Boy, after saying all that, I feel like watching the Geek-O-Rama easter egg from the WALL-E DVD again…)

Ha! Now that’s unusual. As others have mentioned, it must have been a glitch in the system… since that seems to be the most solid explanation at hand. It would be interesting if that connotated/implied that that was the number of private messages that have been sent overall, starting with the date this website was opened to the public.

CountSolo - I smell a geek… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

– Mitch

You’re popular, Rachel! :laughing:

You worry me sometimes, CountSolo. :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

Wow! I would have probably freaked out! That’s like getting over 60 messages from every member here.

On the contrary, you’re VERY unpopular :smiley: you have -1 new message, but the varialbles that show amounts of messages (obviously) are not coded to be able to handle negative values :stuck_out_tongue:
Just kidding

Shocking number! :open_mouth:
That reminds me of how surprised I was when I was checking my regular e-mail and got 41 messages-OVERNIGHT! :laughing: Except in the experience I had, the 41 messages were real. No lie.

No, they don’t have minus messages here, but that “You have no new messages” text on the top of the page is somewhat depressing sometimes, heheh. It may as well be saying “no one likes you enough to send you any messages.” ;-p

Aww…Well that’s one way to look at it I suppose :wink:

65536 = 64 in the computer world

If you still have 65535 messages, ask someone to send you one more and look at the new number. Is it zero?
Then, do you have any messages in your inbox? are there 65535 of them (even of null messages, I mean, is there a list of messages) or there are no messages but you still see the reminder?

My head hurts. All this techie talk is aching my brain. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have 65535 messages any more. I refreshed the page and they went away. And when I checked my inbox, there was just my usual amount of messages in there.

The most new PMs I have ever recieved before I read them is 3 for me.

Well, the longest amount of time I usually go between checking my PMs is about 18 - 24 hrs, and the biggest amount of PMs I’ve had waiting for me was 5, but two were from the same person. But other times I can go a week or two without getting any PMs, and then one day I’ll get 3 at the same time.