Your opinions on Disney's arguable "Dork Age" films

What are your apinions on Disney’s less liked films?

The Disney films starting from The Aristocats to Oliver & Company. After Walt Disney died and before the Disney Renissance. The films were more cheaply made and looked like it, with things like resused animation. Don Bluth also left during this.

The Aristocats (I like it. It’s pretty high up on my Top List.)
Robin Hood (It’s alright. I liked the romance between Robin Hood and Maid Marian.)
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh (This movie is sometimes funny, well animated, likable and that Heffalumps sequence was trippy.)
The Rescuers
The Fox And The Hound
The Black Cauldron (It’s well animated, but it actually wasn’t too dark for me, and I know it’s known for it’s darkness. I liked one or two of the characters, but I didn’t like it very much.)
The Great Mouse Detective (Excellent movie)
Oliver and Company (It’s alright, but one of my least favourites. It has funny moments.)

The other films are at the end of the Disney Renissance to the arguble third golden age of Disney films (Bolt, due to moderate success, then Princess and the Frog and Tangled, and hopefully Winnie the Pooh).

Fantasia 2000 (I don’t know what I think of this movie.)
Dinosaur
The Emperor’s New Groove (Very high up on my list for good reason, it’s a hilarious Disney movie.)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Lilo & Stitch (My FAVORITE Disney movie. Humor, animation, story and characters.)
Treasure Planet
Brother Bear (One or two good things)
Home On The Range (I liked it. It’s humor was decent, it had fast pacing, a unigue style and funny villain…'s sidekicks.)
Chicken Little (It was alright. I don’t know if it’s animation was good or bad but it had funny moments.)
Meet The Robinsons (Alright if not good, maybe I’ll rewatch soon.)

EDIT: I mean Dork Age as in what TV Tropes calls it. And I also edited to fix my mispelling on opinions, thanks to some users.

The Aristocats is an amazing film…it doesn’t belong in the Dark Age category…I mean seriously, Edgar is a viable villian, and there’s a talking mouse that befriends the cats, and “Everybody Wants to Be a Cat” is an amazing song…but I know most people just disregard this…it’s because of us classifying The Aristocats as a Dark Age film that few cat animated films are made.

The Rescuers is the third best animated film ever. I wish there was a Rescuers TV series. Would’ve been better than Talespin…

The Fox and the Hound is decent enough.

The Black Cauldron is HORRIBLE. It could only appeal to male teenagers…

The Great Mouse Detective - good movie, love when Ratigon sings, “Goodbye, so soon!”

Oliver & Company is one of the best Disney movies. It is an interesting twist on Oliver Twist, and Fagin is funny when he says, “Oh look at the time,” and he has seventeen watches on his arm…and Bill Sykes is scary. Furthermore, Francis is watching “Macbeth,” which was interesting to see. And Georgette’s “Perfect Isn’t Pretty” is an amazing song. It truly is.

Dinosaur is awful…I can’t believe they call that “animated,” it looks like it was filmed in the actual jungles of Africa. That is bad for an animated movie.

The Emperor’s New Groove…just a couple of lines are good and the scene where the lady keeps turning into different things. Also the part where it looks like she’s going to show them something scanty.

Brother Bear is good. Brother Bear 2 is better.

I liked the post saying that some Disney films you have low expectations for can be really good. The renting equivilent for me could be a 50p VHS at the charity shop if one’s there.

I like a few of those mentioned movies.

Such as Brother Bear. Very underrated! Great Mouse Detective and Emperor’s New Groove are other underrated gems.

I don’t like Black Cauldron or Dinosaur. I think that Home on the Range isn’t a great movie, or a good one. But it’s better then most people give it credit for. It has a good soundtrack, and I like the artistry of it, it’s quite unique.

Brother Bear is such a beautiful film, I wish I could see the English dub for once… I’ve only got the Dutch one, woe is me!

Oliver and Company is awesome as well, but I love New York, and dogs, so I’m biased. 8D

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Home on the Range, Chicken Little, and Dinosaur, though, so maybe my opinion of them has changed now…

Robin Hood, the Rescuers and The Fox and the Hound are pretty good too, but they’re not on any favourite list of mine or something.

The Emperor’s New Groove, however, is a really fun film and one of my favourite traditionally animated movies!

Haven’t seen the others.

The Aristocats–love it
Robin Hood–don’[t remember all of it, but I wasn’t a fan when I was little
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh–I LOVE this movie!
The Rescuers–Boring(for me).
The Fox And The Hound–Sad and boring.
The Black Cauldron–I love this movie! <3
The Great Mouse Detective I really like this movie.
Oliver and Company This movie is so sweet. I love when Jenny sings to Oliver!

Fantasia 2000–I like it, but I love the first one much more.
Dinosaur-NO. That’s all I can say. I didn’t like this one.
The Emperor’s New Groove-I love this one so much!
Atlantis: The Lost Empire --Not a great movie, but hey, I love it. That’s my only defense of it. 8D
Lilo & Stitch—I love this movie. Actually, most people do who I’ve met.
Treasure Planet --I like this movie. Not one of my favorites, though. And not great.
Brother Bear–Ehh, I’m a little iffy on this one. It was a sweet idea, but I found the movie somewhat bland. I’ll watch it again.
Home On The Range—The yodeling was the only part I liked at all.
Chicken Little—I HATE this movie, and will/can say no positive things for it.
Meet The Robinsons

The Aristocats: Not bad. I woldn’t include it in the Dork Age.

Robin Hood: I loved it when I was a kid. Saw it again a while ago and noticed its many flaws.

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh: Interesting direction, but not my thing. I still think it’s a well made film, but mainly for younglings.

The Rescuers: Awesome film!

The Fox And The Hound: I’m not very sure. It’s good, I guess, but I wouldn’t watch it again in a long time, as it looses its interest at some point.

The Black Cauldron: Not well executed movie with lots of potential. I could have been great. Pity.

The Great Mouse Detective: Quite extraordinary, isn’t it, my dear Dawson?

Oliver and Company: Meh. Probably the worst until that date.

It is lovely. The transformation scene, sung in Inuit? Very beautiful! And you’re out of luck, the English version use to be on youtube, but it was took down. You’ll see it eventually!

I’m confused by the title. Don’t you mean ‘dark age’? And shouldn’t it be plural, since we’re talking two time periods?

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DorkAge

Here you go.

I’m only doing reviews for the ones I’ve seen. I will update this list in the future, however.

Aristocats- Love it. :slight_smile: One of my favorites when I was 3-5. Also one of the few Disney movies I own.
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh- Another childhood favorite. I haven’t watched this thing in ages, though. I think it’s time to do it again.

The Fox and the Hound- I understand with those who think it’s boring, but this is seriously one of the most relatable Disney movies for me, and I cannot describe how much this movie means to me without crying. It’s not my favorite, but I really, really, love it.

Oliver and Company- I love it. The plot was a little predictable, but I can’t resist Disney movies about dogs. 8D

Fantasia 2000- I like it. :slight_smile: Music has become so much more interesting to me lately, so this film is growing on me.

Yes, they mean “Dork Age” all right. The real mistake is that it says “apinions” instead of “opinions”

uhm, i really love the aristocats & the fox and the hound (OMG THE BOOK THO.) brother bear is so underrated it hurts. tbh i don’t think any of those films are really that bad except for chicken little and dinosaur.

I agree entirely. There are some I dislike, but those are the only ones that stand out as awful movies. And I forgot to rate Meet The Robinsons!! :open_mouth: I love this movie. I always cry at the end.

The Aristocats: I love this! I’ve always been a big fan of the characters, music and artistry.
Robin Hood: I really like this movie, it’s got a lot of cute moments.
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh: Haven’t seen it in a while but remember loving it!
The Rescuers: I love the characters, and there’s some really nice music. :slight_smile:
The Fox And The Hound: Makes me cry almost as much as Bambi, but I like it on-par with Bambi. Really beautiful.
The Black Cauldron: Haven’t seen it!
The Great Mouse Detective: Sweet movie.
Oliver and Company: Haven’t seen this either somehow! :frowning:

Fantasia 2000: Haven’t seen it since I was 3.
Dinosaur: I remember it being kind of boring, but once again, it’s been ages.
The Emperor’s New Groove: Awesome. Very quotable, and strangely heartwarming.
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: Really exceeded my expectations, good plot!
Lilo & Stitch: Too long since I last saw it to judge.
Treasure Planet: I don’t remember anything, but I should re-watch it.
Brother Bear: Never saw it.
Home On The Range: I remember it being ok, passable entertainment with nice music.
Chicken Little: Cringeworthy. Decently funny moments, but eh…a mess.
Meet The Robinsons: I really liked this and need to watch it again!! <3

I don’t think ‘Dark Age’ would be appropriate. The Dark Age of Disney animation is used to describe the movies between Walt’s Death and the start of the animation renaissance. (Movies after The Jungle Book and before The Little Mermaid).

Many of the movies we’ve been discussing don’t fall in that period.

But we’re discussing from The Aristocats (which followed The Jungle Book) to Oliver & Company (which preceded The Little Mermaid). So we have the correct era!

Then the OP mentions a second Dark Age, from the end of the Renaissance to the Lasseter-produced films. I also agree it can be considered as such since it contains some of the most forgettable Disney films, like Chicken Little and Treasure Planet (even if some of them are good, not too many people watched them).

The Aristocats: It’s okay.
Robin Hood: Loved it
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh: mixed opinions
The Rescuers: My favorite Disney movie during my very young years.
The Fox And The Hound: Cute, adoreable, not a fan.
The Black Cauldron: Never seen it
The Great Mouse Detective: never seen it
Oliver and Company: Wasn’t what I expected, but great songs
Fantasia 2000: Never seen it
Dinosaur: good movie, not something I’d watch again.
The Emperor’s New Groove: Hilarious, but never seen it
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: Good movie
Lilo & Stitch: Loved it
Treasure Planet: Never seen it
Brother Bear: Never seen it
Home On The Range: Never seen it
Chicken Little: Funny, but okay
Meet The Robinsons: Great

I have yet to rate the whole list. Here I go!

The Aristocats: B
Robin Hood: B
The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh: A
The Rescuers: D
The Fox And The Hound: C
The Black Cauldron: F
The Great Mouse Detective: A
Oliver and Company: C
Fantasia 2000: B
Dinosaur: F
The Emperor’s New Groove: A
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: D
Lilo & Stitch: A
Treasure Planet: B
Brother Bear: A
Home On The Range: C
Chicken Little: D
Meet The Robinsons: D

Oh, e-j-e. Why do you rate The Rescuers so low? :frowning:

You have it on the same category than Chicken Little!