Your Pixar Movies Classification

Really, this is the last time I’ll do this, I promise:

They all rank at #1. They all deserve to be called the best Pixar film by somebody. They are all equally great films in my most humble opinion.

I see it all as objective. A film that might mean the world to one person could be pointless and unamusing to another. I try to always keep that in mind, so no matter what the film, I try not to shoot it down.

But I see no Pixar film as genuinely bad at all. Each of them has their own merits :slight_smile:

I think most everyone has their favorite and all, but I’m just personally finding it too much to rank them myself. I use to have favorites that would change, but then one day each film would surprise me in a way I had never thought about before, so now I can’t rank them at all.

Opinions are fun to have and discuss. But quality is the ultimate deal breaker. Even if I don’t like a film, it’s easy to appreciate its merits. However some movies are ultimately failures, and they begin to lose their shine over time. Not necessarily Pixar movies, just at all.

I know it’ll be time to redo the list in a month (or whenever it is I end up seeing Inside Out), but I haven’t remade mine since MU was new so… :sunglasses:

1. Up - Simply one of my favorite films of all time, in fact it’s the movie that got me into movies! Six years later (wow has it really been that long?!) it still resonates with me on a level few other movies can. Perfect.

2. Ratatouille - One of those movies that just leaves you so completely satisfied and entertained by the ending. Ratatouille is both sophisticated and full of great slapstick, and the “follow your dreams” sentiment is played out in a touching, surprisingly sincere way.

3. WALL-E - Such an inventive and unique film in the Pixar oeuvre. Such a risk-taker too! And all while still retaining the heart and timeless story that really sets Pixar apart from other American animation studios.

4. Toy Story 2 - My personal favorite Toy Story movie, and in my opinion the best blend of sentimentality and childhood fun in the whole series. Jessie and the Woody’s Roundup crew are some of the best sequel characters ever to be introduced.

5. Monsters, Inc. - One of the most classically Pixar story concepts and most lovable buddy-duo protagonists ever on film. The ending is something you will never forget.

6. The Incredibles - Maybe the pinnacle of Brad Bird’s film achievements, one of the best superhero movies of all time and I’m willing to fight anyone who disagrees :wink: Nah but really, The Incredibles just nailed the genre without alienating those unfamiliar/uninterested in it.

7. Toy Story 3 - It has a few flaws, but Toy Story 3 is a terrific comeback sequel for a franchise that had been long dormant and perfectly revived the Toy Story characters for a modern audience without losing the somewhat old-fashioned charm the previous films had. A heartbreaking story without being a bummer.

8. Finding Nemo - As classic as family cinema gets, Nemo has so many scenes just filled with wonder and happiness. It still holds up as probably one of the best animated movies of the last decade.

9. Toy Story - The start of it all, and what a great start it is. The stories of its sequels are a lot more appealing to me but how it all came together remains important and timeless.

10. Monsters University - Probably the greatest prequel ever, MU is another recent Pixar film that deserved far better than it got. I was even pleasantly surprised with where it took its core message—there’s more to this than just a silly college film. Also beautiful color palette.

11. A Bug’s Life - My favorite movie as a kid and criminally underrated, ABL is mysteriously forgotten by most people, but I think it still holds up. Flik is an enormously likeable protagonist and the antagonist is genuinely menacing.

12. Brave - Somewhat minor story for Pixar, but that does not make it a poor film by any means. Much like how Arrietty is a minor Ghibli film but still with highly enjoyable characters and beautiful animation, Brave is a simple story but still executed with class and beauty.

13. Cars - A somewhat slow but still charming movie, that maybe could have been improved by a more colorful plot and a more likeable protagonist (although Lightning does face character development, he is still unusually unappealing for a Pixar hero).

14. Cars 2 - I still feel like Cars 2 is mainly a film for Cars fans rather than general audiences, but it still has merit and had it been made by anyone else, would be praised more highly like it deserves. It avoids the slow patches in the first film’s story and has a generally more engaging plot, but it also sacrifices a lot of the heart that strengthened its predecessor.

Hoping that Inside Out can make it into the top 5 :smiley:

Up is very special to me as well, it was the film that catapulted me into the Pixar fandom!

Alright, after seeing Inside Out, here are my updated rankings. (not sure when the last time I did this was).
Now, to make clear these are my favorites, not necessarily the best.

1. WALL-E
  2. Monsters, Inc.
  3. Up
  4. Ratatouille
  5. Monsters University
  6. Inside Out
  7. Toy Story 3
  8. Finding Nemo
  9. A Bug’s Life
  10. Brave
  11. Toy Story 2
  12. Toy Story
  13. Cars
  14. The Incredibles
  15. Cars 2

^I like your list a lot! I think we share some similar tastes.

I know that WALL-E is still on the top of my list, but Inside Out is gonna be awesome! :mrgreen:

Great minds think alike! :laughing:

Here is my list. I will might edit it once I get back from Inside Out today.

1. Toy Story
  2. Toy Story 2
  3. Toy Story 3
  4. Monsters, Inc.
  5. Finding Nemo
  6. WALL-E
  7. Up
  8. The Incredibles
  9. Ratatouille
  10. A Bug’s Life
  11. Monsters University
  12. Cars
  13. Cars 2
  14. Brave

EDIT: After seeing two early screenings, Inside Out would go between Finding Nemo and WALL-E. I would also put Up at #6 and Wall-E at #7

^Big Toy Story fan I see!

Update. Inside Out is on the top for me. As of now I don’t see The Good Dinosaur scoring as high. Maybe somewhere in the middle.

1. Toy Story 3
  2. Up
  3. The Inside Out
  4. Toy Story
  5. Cars
  6. Toy Story 2
  7. The Incredibles
  8. Fidning Nemo
  9. Wall-e
  10. Monsters University
  11. Ratatouille
  12. Brave
  13. Monster’s Inc
  14. A Bug’s Life
  15. Cars 2
  1. Toy Story 2
  2. Toy Story
  3. The Incredibles
  4. Toy Story 3 & Inside Out
  5. Up
  6. Wall-E
  7. Ratatouille
  8. Monsters, Inc.
  9. Finding Nemo
  10. A Bug’s Life
  11. Monster’s University
  12. Brave
  13. Cars
  14. Cars 2
    Not any significant changes other than the fact that I really enjoyed Inside Out. Hopefully The Good Dinosaur also impresses me.

Yeah! Toy Story was actually one of, if not, the first films I ever saw. I remember watching it over and over on VHS to the point where my copy actually broke 8D The film seemed and still does seem so magical to me today.

Breaking ties and adding Inside Out

1. TS3
  2. TS1
    3. Inside Out
  3. TS2
  4. Up
  5. Monsters Inc.
  6. Monsters University
  7. The Incredibles
  8. Cars 2
  9. Cars
  10. Ratatouille
  11. Brave
  12. ABL
  13. WALL-E
  14. Nemo

I thought very highly of Inside Out.

With the release of Inside out, I feel I needed to update this.

1. The Incredibles
  2. Toy Story 3
  3. Ratatouille
  4. Finding Nemo
  5. Inside Out
  6. Monsters University
  7. A Bug’s Life
  8. Toy Story 2
  9. Toy Story
  10. Cars 2
  11. Monsters Inc.
  12. WALLE
  13. cars
  14. Up
  15. Brave

Very interesting to see you make that assumption with the scarcity of information we have about the film, but whatever floats your boat.

I’m happy to see Inside Out rank so high on everyone’s classifications!

I’m not saying it will be bad, I’m just kind of skeptical about it now. Brave also had different directors and it kind of shows. You’re right, it is too early to judge it. I hope I’m wrong about it and that it scores high, I’m just not as excited for it as I was for The Inside Out. Who know, maybe I’ll like it better than Inside Out. If that happens I’ll admit I was wrong to judge it to early.

I’m not super keen on The Good Dinosaur either but it could knock my socks off, who knows! I’d be pleasantly surprised if it did :slight_smile:

Okay, now that I’ve seen Inside Out it’s relisting time!

1. Up
  2. Ratatouille
  3. WALL-E
  4. Toy Story 2
  5. Inside Out
  6. Monsters, Inc.
  7. Toy Story 3
  8. The Incredibles
  9. Finding Nemo
  10. Toy Story
  11. Monsters University
  12. A Bug’s Life
  13. Brave
  14. Cars
  15. Cars 2

Yes, Inside Out did make the top 5 as I predicted, which I am very pleased with. :sunglasses: (On another note, I’m also very pleased that we’re at a nice 15 films now!)

This is so hard! It honestly changes depending on my mood (except the top maybe 4) but I think it’ll go something like:

1. Monsters, Inc. (Nostalgia reasons plus it’s hilarious and well paced)
  2. Inside Out (Might be 1 at some point; Very creative, emotional, thought provoking, had some “firsts” for Pixar,all characters are likable, and it really spoke to me!)
  3. Toy Story 3 (Amazing villain with tragic backstory, great themes, funny, tearjerker)
  4. Finding Nemo (adventurous, funny, beautiful, lots of good characters!)
  5. Up
  6. Wall-E

This is where it starts getting tricky!

1. Toy Story 2
    :sunglasses: Toy Story
  2. Monsters University
  3. The Incredibles (haven’t seen it in awhile)
  4. Ratatouille (haven’t seen this in awhile!)
  5. Brave
  6. Bug’s Life
  7. Cars
  8. Cars 2