Your Up Reviews

Me likey! I’m going to pretty much echo LG’s review. So yeah 4.7/5

Great, thoughtful reviews, Mark-E and lizardgirl! I enjoyed reading your comments.
I agree with ffdude, that the opening scenes do such a great job of establishing Carl (and Ellie) as characters that we will follow Carl through anything. Also (and I think this is a mix of the writing, animation and Ed Asner’s vocal work), we understand that when Carl is grumpy/angry, it’s because he’s hurting, and we get the emotion behind his behavior.

Tossing in a thought about Muntz:
[spoil]In the DK “Up: the Insider’s Guide” book, they make the comment that Muntz is more interested in his own “fame and prestige” than anything else, so I could see him becoming that obsessed with his reputation, and proving that he was right about his “monster.” I like Muntz, but I think that even in his younger years, he was a self-absorbed so-and-so. :wink: [/spoil]

Nice full review, Mark-E! You’re right, it’s definitely a film that can be watched over and over again.

Thanks, karly05! And that’s interesting about Muntz…Hmm, seems like he has always been like that. Though I can’t help but wonder why, in the same way that I can’t help but wonder why [spoil]no-one actually seems to care that he’s been gone so long, like his family and friends…But then again, just because we don’t see that in the film doesn’t it mean it didn’t happen, I guess. It just seems odd that someone can disappear for so long without it having an effect on anyone else.[/spoil]

But now I’m straying off topic. :laughing:

I’ve thought about that: [spoil]Whether anyone ever did try to find Muntz. The way they set up Paradise Falls in the newsreel, it is a remote, dangerous, inaccessible place, so there probably weren’t many people capable of looking for him (or maybe willing to take the risk). And if someone did find him, and tried to talk him into giving up on the bird and coming back to civilization, it’s a pretty sure bet that unfortunate person ended up dead. :open_mouth: This is wandering off into Fanficland, but I’m sure there were people who cared about what happened to him; we just don’t know about it because it’s not part of the story.[/spoil]

Very true, karly05, I have to agree with you there. Still, it’s interesting to speculate.

I saw Up again today (was going to see it on Wednesday but got one of those 24-hour colds) and it was definitely a better viewing than the first time round. Instead of just tearing up when [spoil]Ellie passes away[/spoil], I cried properly and so did my mum, which I thought was sweet seeing as she’s never really reacted to a Pixar film like that before (especially at the cinema, as she’s deaf so most of the time doesn’t get a chance to keep up with all of the details of the story. The [spoil]wordless montage at the beginning[/spoil] was therefore as hard-hitting for her as it was for everyone else). But it all just seemed somehow…better this time. I think with a second time viewing you get a chance to sit back, relax and just let the film wash over you without worrying about whether you’ll like it or not, and I definitely found that with Up.

I think I’ll leave it at that for cinema viewings (not sure I could afford anymore, haha) but I’m pleased I went to see it again.

I thought Up was superb the chemistry between the old man and the boy scout was both touching and funny. I really liked the way the house just took off with all those balloons.

I finally saw UP in 3D today and, to say the least, it was a great experience

I did have a longer review planned, but I accidently lost it all, so I’ll just briefly summarise some sections and get on to the main portion

My thoughts about Partly Cloudy:
A nice heartwarming short that got me ready for what was to come

The main feature

The 3D aspect:
Disney•Pixar and 3D goes so well together, making this a 3D experience to remember, especialy some scenes. The one that stuck out for me was when Dug turned and said “SQUIRREL” looking for the squirrel. I swore his head was in the auditorium, at least, until he turned back to Carl.

Added info: Apparently, some people said that with 3D, some of the vibrance is lost. Oddly enough, for me, it was quite vibrant and colorful, even in 3D. Perhaps some cinemas had the brightness turned down slightly, affecting the vibrand color. Either that, or it’s just me. I mean no offence if any is taken.

The film itself:
I don’t know where to start on this. This film is, well, amazing!!! I was very engaged in the film and found most of the scenes emotional, even though I managed to supress my crying. It was a challenge

My thoughts about Carl:

Carl seems to’ve gone through a lot in life. Even though he lost Ellie and, at first, their dream to go to South America, he seemed set to continue, to fufill the dream. He’s very resourceful, in the right conditons and a person that’s just set-on to fufill the dream. At least, until he realised that Russel and Kevin were more important than a house on Paradise Falls. Even though the dream is fufilled in the end without Carl knowing, he seemed happy about saving who and what’s important. All in all, Carl is a good character, before and after he realised that actual lives are more important then dreams

My thoughts about Russel:
Not much to say about him. He’s one half of a comic-relife charater mixed with a purpose to the plot. I found that he added more to the plot when he [spoil]went to risk his life to rescue Kevin[/spoil]

My thoughts about Dug:

He’s a very funny character. He’s just so random. Nontheless, I did feel sorry for him when he got the Cone of Shame, but that didn’t stop this bundle of enthusiasm (Dug). He’s a good character that can be absent-minded at times, but is well meaning

I didn’t really put a My thoughts section on Charles since he’s a [spoil]misguided person going on bad guy. He didn’t seem so bad, until he revealed his intentions. Who knew trying to prove some scientists wrong would drive him to go to any means necessary to get Kevin[/spoil].

Final Thoughs:
A really(X10) great film. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it entertaining. A great film in 3D, so great, I felt like I was there.

Extra section:
I like the new Pixar logo made for 3D. It’s quite unique to see the logo from a different angle, especailly since it’s the same animation with Luxo Jr jumping on the I.

Always good to read a great review, although I’m a bit surprised at how brief your description of Russell is. No biggie, just kinda interesting, but I love how you talked about Carl the most (haha, I love Carl, he’s so amazing).

I still have to put my review together, considering mine is gonna be practically scene-by-scene, almost a commentary if you will, but I think I’m gonna wait til it’s out in Japan, so as not to disturb the boards too much (although I think pretty much everyone’s seen it. Getting it on Blu-Ray will probably help anyway, just because it’ll put me in the in the mood watching it again)

ffdude1906: Thanks for your opinion about my review. The reason why I said less about Russel was because I didn’t really think about much to say about him. I mean, sure he’s a good character, but I found the other characters better.

Can’t wait to see your review. I also can’t wait to get UP, but on DVD. I am making the move to blu-ray, but not right now. I’m thinking sometime later, but not right now, even when UP is on DVD in the UK.

Thanks! I can’t wait to write it! I find myself really pouring out a lot of crazy stuff when I write about Up, dunno how to describe it. It brings the best of that out of me. I’m really hoping my review will be good, although it’ll kinda be a personal statement about the whole thing, hehe.

Nice review, apixarfan. Sounds like you’ve got Carl spot on. And yeah, I too liked the new 3D version of the Pixar logo.

And I’m looking forward to your review, ffdude1906! Sounds like it’s going to be very in-depth and interesting.

I had just gotten Up on DVD yesterday and watched it for the first time since I had not gotten the chance to see it in theaters. Like all of Pixar’s films I say it was very good. Back when I first saw the early teaser for it though that just showed an old man standing in a house being lifted up with balloons I wasn’t sure what to think of it. It was like “Okay, what was on their minds when they came up with this one?”, but now I know that it’s really a much deeper story than that trailer led me to believe and when I heard all the wonderful reviews about it and how emotional it was it really made me want to see it for that reason.

Russell and Dug were both very funny and Carl is a very likable character, who I could tell still cared enough for Russell’s safety on his journey even though he still thought he was in the way. I could relate a bit to Carl’s attachment to his house and possessions as his only things to remember Ellie by (I would probably have the same attachment to any childhood stuff that I still keep around). Charles Muntz was an interesting villain since his own obsession to fulfill his lifelong dream had sort of driven him into madness, and I like the twist of having your childhood hero who had inspired your passion in the first place one day turn on you. [spoil]I would have to assume that he didn’t actually die at the end cause he still had balloons tied to him and they could have lessened the impact of his fall.[/spoil]

What really spoke to me was when [spoil]Carl was looking back at Ellie’s adventure book and turned past the “Things I’m going to do” page for the first time only to find the photos taken of all the things he had done with Ellie, and that already made the message of the story clear to me that the real adventure is the relationship you had with your loved ones and to let go of the past. I also liked when Russell made Carl promise to take Kevin back home by saying “Cross your heart?” as if Ellie was speaking to Carl through him.[/spoil]

The part where Carl hits the construction worker over the head with his cane and he was bleeding wasn’t really as graphic as I heard it was. It’s not really the first time Pixar had shown blood since Dory had a nosebleed in Finding Nemo and the blueberry scouts in A Bug’s Life made a drawing of the circus bugs and grasshoppers killing each other, so I wasn’t really surprised by it.

The visuals are all great. The scale of South America is amazing, the pack of dogs are very realistic, and I like how colorful the movie is with Kevin and the balloons. It seems like it’s easier to take for granted now the kind of things Pixar is capable of doing now.

I’m still very new to Up but watching it once has convinced me what a good film it is.

So I was going through the reviews I wrote for my school magazine last year to attach to my request for a job interview when I came across the one I wrote for Up! I can’t believe I didn’t think of posting this here, but well, with Oscar season in full swing, what better time, eh?

In case you can’t read the small font, here’s the ‘unedited’ version. Be advised, I used some minor coarse language to ‘up’ my hip quotient for a university publication.

"I don’t get it. How the hell do they do it? Once again, Pixar has taken a foolhardy gamble and won, pulling off another genre-transcending masterpiece for the ages.

If you haven’t seen the cryptic trailer yet, here’s the lowdown: A geriatric curmudgeon escapes to South America in his airbourne house, with an overweight stowaway aboard. Upon landing, a gormless Chocobo-lookalike bird and a cowardly talking dog join their pack, as they encounter countless perils while facing certain death at the hands of a disgraced former explorer.

It’s better than it sounds. After a summer of mediocre ‘blockbusters’, Pixar’s most sublime film is like a breath of fresh air. It also happens to be the most heartbreaking; characters bleed, hurt each other (both physically and emotionally), and experience overwhelming grief. The opening montage alone will make you weep.

But far from being ‘emo’, Up remains a riveting adventure movie, featuring dazzling animation, inventive action sequences, and endearing characters. It also delivers a meditation on the human experience, the possibility of life after death, the true meaning of heroism, and how sometimes the greatest adventure is actually beginning one.

Overall, Up is an exhilarating thrill-ride and the most fun you’ll have at the movies all year. You’ve got balls, Pixar. And that’s why I admire you for… SQUIRREL!
Rating: 5/5"

Thankfully, the editor kept most of the original submission intact. The only changes were:

• replacing “… masterpiece for the ages” with “… masterpiece of animation in their latest film, Up.”

• removing “thrill ride” from the penultimate sentence.

• removing the non-sequitur exclamation of “SQUIRREL!”, probably to prevent reader confusion (and which I was annoyed about, since Up was already in release for two weeks and most people who watched it would ‘get’ the joke).

But yeah, I’m really thankful I managed to do my part in promoting what I think is one of the best films of the year. :slight_smile:

Up is ,in my opinion, the best Pixar film I have ever seen. What really got me was the opening montage of him growing old with his wife and it made me cry when [spoil]his wife died[/spoil]. Up is a great overall film that I will always remember as one of Pixar’s greatest. In my opinion this isn’t really a kids movie because of the story of his love for his wife and if I were 6 I’m not sure I would enjoy it that much. I love this movie and I hope everybody else does too.

4/4 Stars

Well, Up is emotionally, visually, and overall overwhelming. My mom and sister were crying in the theater. I loved it so much, I was proud to go see it as my B-day gift. I always have the highest expectations for Pixar, and they go above and beyond the call of duty every year. I LOVE UP!! :smiley:

This is the script for a review I did on YouTube, if ya wanna watch it in video form here’s a link to it youtube.com/watch?v=G3LHjgIQVr8

If ya wanna just read it though, well, I’ve quoted it below :slight_smile:

Wow, you certainly are a devoted Up fan. :smiley: I really enjoyed your review.

Thanks ^^ It means a lot.

That’s quite some review, Leon K Fox! You’ve made some great points (for example, about how little time Carl and Ellie actually spend on screen together) and I agree with your review on the whole.

Thanks ^^ I’m rather pleased with the response the review has gotten thus far to say the least :slight_smile: