Your Up Reviews

Another most excellent adventure by the wizards of Pixar. I’m not much for “formal” reviews, but I believe Up deserves every glowing review any source has given it. My favorite character was Ellie. Yes, I know she’s not in it much, you really get a feel for the impact she had on carl and that special, unbreakable bond she had with him. [spoil](Even to the point for carl to beat up some ghuy for touching the mailbox they painted together!)[/spoil] Great story, great music, great characters. One thing I really appreciated was that seeing it in 2D, I felt like it was meant for that format. No crazy zooming, no in-your-face objects. Just great story.

As for the short film… it was nice, but not exactly up to par with the rest of Pixar’s collection. That being said, I’m not sure yet what makes it this way, maybe it just needs some time to grow on me. It was a nice premise, but maybe something was a little off with charcters and story execution. But like I said, it could grow on me.

Got back from seeing the film just a few hours ago. Here’s my quick review:

If Pixar - as a studio - has any weakness, it’s that they have no idea how to make a bad film. Again and again they release entertaining movies with not only a terrific sense of humor, but a level of storytelling that has set a standard for today’s films, animated or otherwise. While I was obviously extremely excited to see Up, never did I expect it - or, to be honest, anything else from this year - to reach the quality of this year’s first animated film, Coraline (which, along with last year’s Bolt and Wall-E, became one of my top 3 favorite films of all time). Well, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. Simply put, Up is a perfect movie.

Easily the most emotionally impactful portion of the entire film, the first ten to fifteen minutes of Up are nothing short of beautiful. Using little to no dialogue, the opening “montage” of this film tells the story of Carl and his wife Ellie, and the wonderful life that they share together. Carl is such a lovable character, that you feel for him from the very beginning. Without trying to come off as cliché or anything, you feel the joy that he feels, and when [spoil]his wife passes away, you feel his loss. By the end of the whole sequence, I was in tears.[/spoil]

This movie is freakin’ hilarious. Without a doubt the funniest film that Pixar has ever made, each and every character in Up provides their own bit of humor. Dug the dog (voiced by co-director Bob Peterson) is especially hilarious every single time that he “opens his mouth”, and yet still proves to be a key part of this emotional roller coaster ride. The movie also does a terrific job at making you feel a sense of wonder, and you just buy into the adventure of these two characters. Finally, I want to give a special nod to Christopher Plummer as the famous wilderness explorer, Charles Muntz, who is easily my favorite Pixar villain.

I love Up. Go see it now, as my review just can’t do it justice. Not only is it extremely entertaining, but also gut-bustingly hilarious, and beautifully told throughout. To quote John Campea of TheMovieBlog.com, “The only negative thing I have to say about this movie is that it ended.” The result is a tie between Wall-E and this film as my favorite Pixar movie to date (which, again, is saying a lot, considering that Wall-E is one of my top five favorite films ever), and while it may take a couple more viewings to say for certain, I have no qualms with saying that Up is perhaps the finest film that I’ve ever seen.

10/10

Here’s mine (stolen from my blog):

[b]The adventure is all around you. And no, I’m not talking about the 3-D.

Pixar never fails. As director and co-writer Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc) once again takes the reigns of the jet plane of success that is Pixar Animation Studios, he takes two perfectly paired characters to South America for an emotional oomph to kick off the summer movie season.

Ed Asner voices Carl Fredricksen, an elderly widower/ex-balloon salesman. All his life, Carl’s wife Ellie had dreamed of adventure in exotic locations. One such place she wanted to go was lovingly nicknamed “Paradise Falls” (really the Tepui mountain range of South America, captured beautifully by Pixar’s amazing animation crew). After Ellie passes on, troubles begin to pile ‘up’ for our grumpy old hero, and he decides to gather his old balloons and use them to propel him all the way to the falls. After he arrives, many other characters appear and start to show him where the real adventure is.

The animation is superb; probably some of the most story-serviceable I’ve seen in a long time. The story unveils itself gradually, and while it’s enjoyable for kids, adults will really enjoy it for the fantastic story the Pixar team is able to tell here.

At this point in time, I can find nothing else to tell you but -SQUIRREL!- but you will absolutely fall head-over-heels in love this film. I think it’s Pixar’s funniest, most heartfelt, and best film. Just go see it. Words can’t describe how good it really is.

Pixar’s “Up”: 10/10. A wonderful, feel-good piece of art and storytelling. It’ll most likely be on my top 5 films of the year![/b]

Hello everyone! Long time no see! ^^ Sorry I haven’t been around so much lately. Honestly, whenever a new Pixar film comes out, I tend to kind of avoid message boards for a while. XD; Yes, I am that afraid of spoilers. I’m back now, though!

Anyways, here’s my semi-long, spoiler free Up review, copied and pasted from my LiveJournal. Keep in mind that I’m no critic, and I’m not so good with words, so I apologize in advance if this gives anyone a headache or anything. XD
(Also, this is also coming from a total WALL-E geek, so there’s lots of references to that in there. << >>)

Yeah, obviously, I loved the film! XD 10/10 for me, definitely! It’s movies like these that make me want to work for Pixar as badly as I do.

Do we really have to add spoiler text? I really don’t want to keep doing that…isn’t it kind of given that the reviews will have spoilers?

Anyhow, here’s my review from Up Forum:

Where to begin with this one? I mean, this film isn’t just the uppity adventure with giggles and cute little characters that the trailers presented it as. This film, I daresay, is Pixar’s pinnacle feature; it is a true testament to what they are, what they do, and what they stand for. It treads all areas of the film genre, from raucous comedy to poignant tragedy. It strikes right at the heart again and again, in ways both subtle and strong.

Let’s start with the characters, because after all, a movie’s nothing without solid characters. And boy, does this one provide a real eclectic mix. Our protagonist, Carl, is a real departure from the typical Pixarian hero. Not simply by age, but temperament. He’s not a young, idealistic figure like Flik or Wall-E, but neither is he the egoistic, almost cruel sort like McQueen (don’t get me wrong here; I love McQueen. He was a great departure from the Pixarian formula). Carl is a man who is embittered by the unfairness of the world. Life has taken everything from him: his dear wife, his dreams of adventure, and soon his home.

Now, my biggest problem in movies is something I like to call “The Quick Fix”. This is what happens when a character who has acted wrongly for almost an entirely feature suddenly is “better”. They see the error of their ways in a big flash of light and all’s well and good. I’m happy to report this turn-around did not happen so abruptly with our hero. You can tell, just watching the film, his experiences with Russell slowly change him. He awakens to his boyish sense of adventure over time and even after the full turn-around, he’s not “all better”. He’s still hindered by his age. And this pleased me greatly. If there was any complaint I had with Carl, it was that the [spoil]“You’re my dog, and I’m your master!”[/spoil] line felt awkward. But that’s just me. Other than that, he was a powerful driving force for the film. The moment where he breaks down into a fit of rage and growls, “I didn’t want this!”, to me, is his best. It proves he is as prone to fallibility as anyone. He may be “the hero”, but he’s not perfect.

And then, of course, we have his right hand boyscout, Russell! Russell didn’t jump out at me upon first viewing the trailers. He seemed quirky, cute, and goofy, but I wrote him off as comedy relief and not much more. But as more clips were released, he grew on me in a “cute puppy” sort of way. But just like Carl, he wasn’t as simple as that. He’s a boy who’s dealing with something that, sadly, too many kids these days are dealing with:[spoil] the unfairness of divorce[/spoil]. But instead of being angry and estranged like most characters in this position I see in films, he is hopeful. All he wants is his father’s approval, which is something I definitely could relate to. His small speeches about his father were brilliant, because they were things a child would say. They were genuine and powerful in their simplicity.

I was actually rather annoyed with Dug and Kevin upon walking in the theater. I disliked their excessive popularity, because it felt like the attention Dory earned: they were liked because they were funny, and not much more (again, please note I love Dory…just for more reasons than her humor). I was again proven wrong. Dug’s role as the submissive, quavering underdog wishing only for love fit perfectly with the desire to connect felt by Russell and, deny it as he may, Carl. A[spoil]nd the mother thing with Kevin melted me[/spoil]. So, while I still think they’re a bit over-hyped, I do respect them a bit more as characters. Dug especially.

Muntz was an admirable villain. Upon first seeing the film, I was sort of in-between on Muntz. He seemed so…secondary. And typical. But when I saw it again, I realized he was a deeply intriguing character. For so long he’d been out casted, lied to, and cheated, he simply abandoned decency. He, like Carl, was victim to the cruelty of the world and learned to cope by sealing himself away. Actually, thinking about it now, there was a nice parallel between the Spirit of Adventure and “Ellie”: both were crammed full of memories, made into monuments about better days. [spoil]Unlike Carl, however, Muntz never learns to let go of the bitterness and, in the end, cannot fly like Carl could after lightening his burden.[/spoil]

Visually, this film was pure eye candy. Everything, from the lush landscapes to the dirty details of human faces, was artistry of the highest caliber. One of the most beautiful moments in the famous introductory cinematic is the simple kiss Carl gives to his wife on her deathbed. It isn’t passionate or desperate, but a quiet, gentle declaration of love that shows the audience how deeply Carl’s love for Ellie ran. The close attention to facial and bodily expression came across beautifully here. I mean, look at these characters: compare Carl’s mussy, stubbled visage to the plastic looking Cid of Toy Story or the clear hair and texture visible on Russell’s face when he first finds Kevin to something like The Incredibles. The CGI art form has come quite a long way. While this film maintains a fantastic feel, its attention to detail was truly stunning.

I’d hate to label this film as a comedy. It had such a command of emotion that flowed so naturally, it didn’t feel weird to be bawling one moment, then guffawing the next. There didn’t need to be fancy speeches to make an impact. The simplest exchanges said in the gentlest of voices hit just as hard as the more active moments.

This film did have flaws, but in all, its triumphs overcame those flaws. Up is a powerhouse performance and one I hope to enjoy as many times as I can while it’s in theaters. Nothing compares to that gorgeous surround sound and the satisfaction of the audience around you held captive by the same riveting film.

I rate it as such:

Characters - 9/10. There are few characters to claim the spotlight, but those that do shine. Carl, Russell, and even Dug feel complete by the story’s end. The dog pack was sort of an annoyance to me, though.
Story - 10/10. It was original, compelling, and tear-jerking, and kept me engaged the whole time.
Score - 8/10. The score wasn’t incredible–WALL-E’s score is still the best–but it still managed to have a great orchestral sound throughout.
Humor - 9/10. There were some truly drop-dead funny jokes that, like the film as a whole, branched out in all areas of comedy. Even Carl imagining the accidental death of Russell manages to merit a chortle.
Overall - 10/10. There’s honestly not much I can think of I’d want to change in this movie. Way to go, Pete Doctor and all involved!

I disagree with one thing there. That score ROCKED!!! How’d that go again? Da-da-du-dam… da-de-da-doo-da-duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm…

POSSIBLY THE SMALLEST NITPICK EVER! haha

[spoil]I think the last shot with the house on top of paradise falls should of had the balloons on the house or just something different about the house (possibly have it partly destroyed) that showed the new adventure carl went on as ellie told him to do so in the book.
It almost contradicted the idea that the house didn’t matter that much since ellie’s adventure was with carl. So basically what I’m trying to say is the last image of the house matched too perfectly with the painting.[/spoil]

idk haha, what do you think?

Wow! This movie was amazing! I can’t say any more than to go see it. It is easily my second favorite Pixar film (after Wall-E, of course). The story was strong, the characters were lovable and each had they’re own personalities, and overall it just makes for a fantastic movie. Overall I give Up a 4 out of 4. Go watch it now!

My second favorite after WALL-E, too, M-O!!!

Up is now officially my second favourite Pixar film, just behind The Incredibles. I can go on and on describing how amazing this movie is, but I’ll be brief and simply say that you should cancel whatever film plans you may have for the next several days and watch Up instead.

My UPdated (sorry, I can’t resist) Pixar list:

1. The Incredibles
  2. Up
  3. Finding Nemo
  4. WALL-E
  5. Ratatouille
  6. Toy Story 2
  7. Toy Story
  8. A Bug’s Life
  9. Monsters, Inc.
  10. Cars

Pixar is 10 for 10 indeed!

Oh my God!

I just can’t believe it!

What are you guys talking about?! All these raving for this film?

I HATE [spoil]that I have to wait until only God knows when before I see this film I already call my Pixar favorite![/spoil] I LOATHE [spoil]Buena Vista International to think that NOW is not the best time to show this film everywhere else![/spoil] I AM DISGUSTED THAT [spoil]everyone in the US and Canada is already enjoying this magnificent film, when I am sitting here, reading comments after comments, avoiding spoilers after spoilers, muttering how life is unfair and expressing my absolute desperation to see this film NOW![/spoil]

For this I give it[spoil](the culprits who’s behind delaying the film in all other territories)[/spoil] a solid 0 stars out of 5!

There I said it!

almightybong, good one… You had me going for a sec… :wink:
But at the same time… I’m sorry to hear about that. That’s really sad that you have to go through that. :confused:

Thanks for the empathy Disney_Guy, however, I am more than sad! I want to be grumpy, curmudgeon even!

I think I just made myself worhty of a 5-minute montage where everyone else can cry for 555 minutes. If one instance of trying to make out a sensible answer to the question “why no UP yet here from where I am?” can make one balloon, I probably can lift my house and fly off to the US to see UP (and our house is bigger than Carl’s). My worry is, by the time I arrive, maybe it’s already Toy Story 3 I’ll be seeing, and no longer UP!

I just wish to laugh at squirrel jokes while it is still funny! God, they don’t even have a playdate for UP here in the Philippines!

So disappointing!

BUT, I am so happy UP is doing GREAT and enjoying a mass of positive critical reviews(apart from the 3 pointless, attention-deficit… err… attention-hoarding scumbags who merely amount to nothing to even call themselves “critics”), and positive word-of-mouth’s. Heck I haven’t seen it yet but I am already recommending it to people I play with in Texas Hold’Em, and promoting it like crazy in every table I sit down to play on. And 21.4M on Friday alone? So amazing. If Drag Me To Hell wasn’t cool and great fun, I could only imagine UP at 30M on the first day! It would be so cool!

After I submit this post, I’m back to my ranting mood!

Hah! You had me going there for a second almightybong. Know how you feel. When I was in Manila last summer, I asked every cinema in the city when Wall-E would be showing and they all responded with “Hindi ko alam.” Grr, dang overseas waiting for American movies. You have my sympathy!

My list:

1.WALL-E
2.Toy Story
3.Up
4.The Incredibles
5.Ratatouille
6.Monsters, Inc.
7.Toy Story 2
8.Finding Nemo
9.A Bug’s Life
10.Cars

I saw this movie in 3D Saturday night. Pixar never ceases to amaze me. The 3D was a nice touch. i haven’t seen a movie in 3D in a really long time.

As always Pixar has a great message in their movies and the main character always has a change of heart.

[spoiler]I especially like the part where Carl looks at the Adventure book and realizes he had never taken Elle to paradise falls but then as he flips pass the “Things I want to do” page he realizes life in itself is an adventure.

I love how Pixar always points out there is more to life than reaching for the main goal, kind of like how Lighten McQueen realizes there is more to life that the Piston Cup (or empty cup).

[/spoiler]

Up is a fantastic film that really only suffers because Pixar has done better before (WALL-E). That said there are a few minor problems I had with it not relating to simple preference, namely I felt it was too jokey in the wrong places, and there was some totally absurd stuff that did not feel Pixar-like at all (such as the dogs in planes bit) that took me out of the film. But Carl and Ellie’s story, and the representation of the house as Ellie (not to mention the fantastic carrying of the house on Carl’s shoulders, like Atlas of mythology) were fantastic. Docter topped Monsters and even Finding Nemo as far as I’m concerned, but didn’t achieve the pure cinematic artistry achieved in the expertly crafted WALL-E. I give them both 10/10, this one is just a 100 instead of a 100,000.

I watched Up with a friend. It. Was. UPTASTIC. It had lots of funny moments… but at times it was very emotional too. I choked up a little (at both some of the gags and the heartfelt moments). My favorite gag was when [spoil]Russel was suspending on the house… or not.[/spoil] Dug reminds me so much of my dog Quinn it’s not funny.

Fantastic… fantastic movie.

The heartfelt moments, in my opinion, completed Up. I’m not usually one to cry during movies, but I got to tears [spoil]during the Carl and Ellie montage.[/spoil]. I found the message/moral in the whole movie really touching. What I loved was how you can totally pinpoint where the climax was; it was a memorable turning point when [spoil]Carl threw out his furniture, getting rid of the material possessions in his life to make room for his new adventure. (Gotta love the “keep moving forward” moral) Then from there, it allowed the falling action and resolution to take place. [/spoil] The ending was absolutely touching. I was cracking up at the hilarious photos during the credits. Especially the one that [spoil]credited the technical director with a picture of Carl trying to figure out a computer, as well as Russell holding up his Wilderness Explorer GPS and pointing to it all like “I FOUND IT!”[/spoil]
Also, the humor in this film was superb. Who doesn’t love Dug? :laughing: SQUIRREL! Oh and the music! During the movie, I was super impressed! The score was absolutely beautiful with its continuous themes and all of their different variations throughout certain plot points. I loved it. When I saw Michael Giacchino’s name in the credits, I was like, NO WONDER! haha. The music made the sad parts significantly more touching and the adventures parts significantly more exciting.
So yeah. Amazing movie.

1. The Incredibles
  2. Ratatouille
  3. Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2, Monster’s Inc., Finding Nemo, WALL-E, Up
  4. Cars

ashley