Pixar Planet

Presto

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby CaseyDH14 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:19 pm

I didn't mean to say that it in like a whining kind of way. :oops:
CaseyDH14
Mutant Toy

Postby The Star Swordsman » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Oh I know that. I think it was kinda neat you and I thought of the same thing. :wink:
The Star Swordsman
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Pixelated » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:09 am

I gotta go with Presto over Lifted, because to me, the jokes in Presto seemed much less predictable. Once we learned that the guy was not getting out of the house easily, we could deduct from there what would happen ;)

That said, Lifted is like Apple Pie, sweet and dependable, while Presto is like Lemon Pound Cake, while just a little less sweet, the lemon just kicks in with every bite.

OK, add that to the list of worst analogies in the world :D
Pixelated
Garbage Boy

Postby eratosthenes » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:33 am

Pixelated wrote:I gotta go with Presto over Lifted, because to me, the jokes in Presto seemed much less predictable. Once we learned that the guy was not getting out of the house easily, we could deduct from there what would happen ;)

That said, Lifted is like Apple Pie, sweet and dependable, while Presto is like Lemon Pound Cake, while just a little less sweet, the lemon just kicks in with every bite.

OK, add that to the list of worst analogies in the world :D

Actually I'd say that that analogy was not only quite good (and tasty!) but very appropriate for the two shorts as well. ;)
eratosthenes
Mutant Toy

Postby CaseyDH14 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:56 am

Yeah , I know what mean when you say Lifted was a little predictable, but It was still very well done.
CaseyDH14
Mutant Toy

Postby martini833 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:13 pm

You've gotta admit, the ending of Lifted (and I mean the very end) was unexpected and extremely hilarious!
martini833
Upcoming Pixar Alumni

Postby The Star Swordsman » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:16 pm

Well, you are definetely right on that. I think that was the biggest, or second biggest, laugh out of the entire short.
The Star Swordsman

Postby uruseiranma » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:21 pm

Presto to me was the most laugh-out-loud PIXAR short I have seen.

In terms of subtle comedy, I prefer Geri's Game (though it is somewhat sad the sweet old guy doesn't have anyone else to play Chess with).

Up until now, 'For the Birds,' was to me one of the funniest shorts. Though Presto has topped that.

One thing I noticed is that whenever the magician was in the back room looking around, they used a soft light on his eyes, kind of a stage-play of light like 'he's up to something.'

I'm on vacation now, but right before I left home, I found they had released Presto on iTunes! I downloaded it, and was amazed at something I hadn't noticed. Right after the first little 'Come on/uh-uh' bit, you can hear an audience member yawn. I didn't hear that at all in the theater, and it explains a whole lot for the magician's look of 'shock' [spoil]before his next look of shock with the trap.[/spoil]

[spoil]
The funniest thing to me was the one-two punch of the magician's hand reaching down, and the rabbit using his foot to slam the fingers in the drawer. The timing makes me laugh even after all this time.

Btw, in the orchestra pit, the two members closest to camera appear to be the waiter from Ratatouille replicated (the one when we get our first look inside Gusteau's kitchen). Plus, the tuba player behind them looks almost like the 'what does the chef have that's new' guy[/spoil]
uruseiranma
Garbage Boy

Postby JesusFreak » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:53 am

I bought Presto on iTunes today, and I've watched it a bunch of times. It's fun seeing the stuff you normally don't see in the theaters. Like the "[spoil]Civil war reenactment poodles"[/spoil] in the credits. XD
JesusFreak
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby SheriffChick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:41 am

That was a cute short cartoon. I like it and i don't mind seeing the short cartoon again.
SheriffChick
Mutant Toy

Postby eratosthenes » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:26 am

JesusFreak wrote:I bought Presto on iTunes today, and I've watched it a bunch of times. It's fun seeing the stuff you normally don't see in the theaters. Like the "[spoil]Civil war reenactment poodles"[/spoil] in the credits. XD

Hahaha I saw that! I read it and thought "...that's odd." :)
eratosthenes
Mutant Toy

Postby A113 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:45 pm

martini833 wrote:You've gotta admit, the ending of Lifted (and I mean the very end) was unexpected and extremely hilarious!

Totally! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

----

What was your favorite part of Presto?

[spoiler]
My favorite part was the end, after Alec helps Presto barey escape death, and the audience cheers wildly. Awesome![/spoiler]
:D :D :D
I've seen Ratatouille eighteen times, and WALL•E two times. • Jesus is LORD!
A113
Master Scarer

Postby The Star Swordsman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm

Overall, I liked the entire movie, but I agree with A113. That part was too my favorite.
The Star Swordsman

Postby Black Panther » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:23 pm

This is probily my favorite short film.

And i agree with you two too.
Black Panther

Postby ominousorb » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Has it been mentioned that the character designer for Presto was Teddy Newton? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_Newton (that article doesn't say much)
He was a really lively storyboard artist on the Iron Giant and one of the character artists for the Incredibles, he's one of Brad Bird's guys. There's even a featurette about him on the Iron Giant DVD. He's really funny, and his drawings are really cartoony and simple. He's great. I was really impressed with the character design in Presto, and when I found out it was Teddy Newton I knew that was why. If someone already mentioned this, feel free to call me out for being too lazy too read through the rest of the thread. I just thought that was really cool.
Absolute Favorites:
1 ) Wall-E
2 ) Finding Nemo
3,4 ) Ratatouille & The Incredibles (tied)
5 ) Toy Story
6 ) A Bug's Life
7 ) Toy Story 2
S'alright:
8 ) Monster's Inc.
9 ) Cars
ominousorb
Shark Bait

PreviousNext

Return to Pixar's Short Films