Pixar Planet

Dug's Special Mission

Talk about your favorite Pixar short films here. Pixar shorts include The Adventures of André & Wally B., Luxo Jr., Tin Toy, Red's Dream, Geri's Game, Knick Knack, For the Birds, Mike's New Car, Boundin', Jack Jack Attack, One Man Band, Mater and the Ghost Light, Lifted, Your Friend the Rat, Presto, BURN•E, Partly Cloudy, Dug's Special Mission, Day & Night, and the Toy Story Toons.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Dug's Special Mission

Postby JD » Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 pm

Jonas Rivera, producer of Disney/Pixar's upcoming animated film Up, revealed to SCI FI Wire that the film—like previous Pixar movies—will be accompanied by a short film in its theatrical release, called "Partly Cloudy," and that a second short, focusing on the talking-dog character of Dug (voiced by writer Bob Peterson) and called "Dug's Special Mission," will be featured on the film's eventual DVD and Blu-ray release.

The first film will be unrelated to Up, but the second will be in the tradition of such previous Pixar short films as "Jack-Jack Attack," which accompanied the DVD release of The Incredibles, or "BURN*E" for WALL*E: a short movie featuring one of the supporting characters from the main feature film.

"You can imagine we collect so much stuff along the way that doesn't make it in," Rivera said in an exclusive telephone interview Thursday. "There's, like, volumes and volumes, and we could fill books with all of the different ideas and the artwork. We are going to do another short film, and I don't know if you've heard anything about that. There will be. There's a short film on the front of the movie that's called 'Partly Cloudy,' and it's directed by Pete Sohn, and Pete Sohn is one of the great story and animation artists at the studio. He was the voice of Emile in Ratatouille, and he was also the inspiration of the character of Russell in Up; if you found an adult version of Russell, Pete's him."

Rivera also said that the forthcoming home video releases will include behind-the-scenes footage of the making of the film and documentaries about the locations that provided the animators with visual inspiration for Up's picturesque vistas. "There's tons of documentaries and stuff like that we did, making-of stuff, a pretty cool documentary on the tepui [flat-topped South American mountains] and stuff. It's really cool. I can't wait to get it out."

Rivera added: "We're also going to do a short film on the DVD that's exclusive for the DVD and Blu-ray, sort of like 'Jack-Jack Attack.' Did you ever see that, on The Incredibles? We're doing one called 'Dug's Special Mission,' [spoil]and it's a little bit of the backstory of what Dug was actually doing out there on this mysterious mission when we meet him[/spoil]. It's really cool, and it's directed by Ron Del Carmen, who is our head of story on the film."

Now that book makes sense!

http://scifiwire.com/2009/05/ups-compan ... -films.php
JD
Shark Bait

Postby lizardgirl » Tue May 26, 2009 5:16 pm

That sounds so cool! I'm pleased that this extra short is focused on Dug- he sounds like such a cool character. Thanks for the heads-up, JD!
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby woody » Tue May 26, 2009 7:38 pm

I can see this going in so many hilarious directions :lol:
woody
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby TAMATER » Tue May 26, 2009 7:55 pm

I guess this will be good, but I think Dug has come to be a little overrated. :|

I agree with woody though that this could go into some hilarious directions :lol:
My name's Mater. Like Tamater. Without the Ta'!
TAMATER
Toy Collector

Postby Bryko614 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:57 pm

TAMATER wrote:I guess this will be good, but I think Dug has come to be alittle overrated. :|

I agree with woody though that this could go into some hilarious directions :lol:
I agree. Dug isn't the most interesting character from what I've seen in previews, but I'm sure that this short will have its qualities and be very humorous.
Bryko614
Upcoming Pixar • Chief Writer

Postby Disney_Guy » Tue May 26, 2009 8:34 pm

TAMATER wrote:I guess this will be good, but I think Dug has come to be a little overrated. :|

Well, dog-lovers are bound to love Dug. :)
I am and I love his character. In a way, he seems to be almost like one of my dogs.. Except he's a beagle. This dog is almost like the beagle version of Dug. Small, yet fat, always happy, always on his "missions" sniffing out the place. :lol:

Anyways, that's really cool that they will make a short film based on him. I could imagine a lot of interestingly funny directions it could go.
Disney_Guy
Garbage Boy

Postby Mitch » Tue May 26, 2009 9:03 pm

You had me at "it's directed by Ronnie del Carmen". I definitely look forward to this.

Thanks for the information, JD! :D

-- Mitch
Mitch
Wilderness Explorer

Postby thedriveintheatre » Wed May 27, 2009 3:17 am

I have a feeling it'll be along the lines of Jack-Jack Attack or BURN-E in that they'll detail events that occur simultaneously within the movie from a different character's P.O.V.

*Excited Dug voice* "Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!" :D
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby lizardgirl » Wed May 27, 2009 9:58 am

Oooh, I hope so, thedriveintheatre! I hadn't thought about that! I do love it when Pixar do that, because it makes their films seem even more real in that there's so much stuff going on behind-the-scenes that the audience doesn't always get to see.
Like looking at or creating Pixar fanart? Then you'll love PixarPlanetdA!
lizardgirl
Pixar Planet dA Administrator

Postby AJD08 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:44 am

I agree. I'm always glad when Pixar makes the shorts as related to the original story as possible.
AJD08
Brain Trust Alumnus

Postby Netbug009 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:43 am

Disney_Guy wrote:Well, dog-lovers are bound to love Dug. :)

Oh you have no idea. My mother is gonna freak over this. xD

Anyways, wow, short news already? Sweet. 8D
WALL-E Count: 46
JESUS IS LORD!
Netbug009
AXIOM Crewmember

sweet

Postby mo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:05 am

This definitly looks cool. I can't wait to see what happens. I love shorts that happen simultaneously with the original story! Just another reason to buy the DVD when it eventually comes out. :)
Tumblr is where I spend most of my online time these days
mo
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby 1986 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm going to sound stupid, but who is Ronnie del Carmen? Isn't he one of the pre-production artists or something?
Toy Story 3: greatest movie of the year.
Garbage Boy

Postby GregM » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:00 am

1986 wrote:I'm going to sound stupid, but who is Ronnie del Carmen? Isn't he one of the pre-production artists or something?

yeah. Ronnie is kind of a jack of all trades at Pixar (story artist, story supervisor, character designer, illustrator, etc.).

I'm very excited for this short. I thought Dug was great in Up.
Thanks
Greg
www.pixartalk.com
GregM
Ant

Postby lennonluvr9 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:32 pm

So they're gonna make another movie related short. Sounds amusing. And it probably will be considering Dug is the main character
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Next

Return to Pixar's Short Films