Which is your favourite Toy Story film?

Which is your favourite Toy Story film?

• Toy Story
  • Toy Story 2
  • Toy Story 3

0 voters

We’ve had this topic before, way back when Toy Story 3 was first released in cinemas. However, I thought it’d be interesting to see how much (if at all) the overall consensus has changed since the hype over the third film has died down somewhat.

Personally, it’s still incredibly hard for me to separate the three movies - the fact that Pixar can create a trilogy in which the quality remains so consistently high speaks volumes about their storytelling abilities.

Each film felt as though it was just right for the series, and managed to explore a different aspect of the toys’ lives without being redundant. The first film focuses on jealousy and what it means to be a good friend. The second film explores the fear of rejection further, as well as the choice between longevity and quality of life (live forever and be forever unloved, or embrace friendship and love, however fleeting?). The third film completes the story, exploring what it means to let go of the past and embrace the new (“I wish I could always be with you.” “You always will be.”) as the toys are passed on to a new owner.

However, since I’m not including an option for all three equally and thus have to choose one, I think I’m going to have to go with Toy Story 2 - it wins by the merest fingernail sliver over the other two. It’s hard to say why. I think perhaps it’s because it had just the right blend of comedy and deeper meaning. The other two had these also, but I think the balance/pacing worked best in the second film.

Anyhow, that’s enough from me - what is your opinion of the three movies? :sunglasses:

Toy Story 2. It’s like the other two combined-serious, but not dead serious. TS3 was too much. And I love Jessie!! I felt her personality diminished in 3. :frowning:

Toy Story 3. I thought it was a perfect ending to a trilogy, and the best film I saw this year. I thought every Toy Story got better with each one.

TS2 hands down

I based my vote on script, acting, music and story line. I am ignoring the animation aspect since it is unfair to the previous two films to use that a measure for quality of the films.
Based on the above I voted for the first Toy Story. While I know this would never happen, it’d be awesome if on the 20th or even 25th anniversary that PIXAR re-releases all 3 films. Keeping the same dialog, but updating the animation to its current standard.

Agreed 100%. :slight_smile:

I love you.

Personally, I hope they never re-animate the movies. They’re perfect the way they are. <3

IncredigirlVirginia: Disney likes to update their movies every 20-25 years. It wouldn’t surprise me if they did something on a major anniversary for the series.
Computer animation is a new territory when it comes to updates. We’ve learned that the software didn’t survive fully 10 years ago. This was mostly due to updates in the programs that annimated it to begin with. However, I am not convinced that with Disney at the helm they wouldn’t update the animation. Look at every other Disney movie.

I guess the first one, but three comes really close.

They didn’t “re-paint” the movies, though. They simply “enhanced” them, meaning glossing it up. Not re-animating. Besides, Toy Story(as you probably know) was and is the first entirely CG film ever. If they made it look new, in my opinion, it would defeat the purpose. See, old films become historical artifacts, like cars and record players. Refresh the colors? Fine, if you must. Even though it’s already a very colorful, visually dazzling artwork. But no re-animating!! PLEASE!!

Definitely 2. It was the one I watched the most when I was young, so it holds many memories to me. It is also very recognizable because I collect various kinds of toys as well, and Al’s behavior somewhat reminded me of people from toy-collector forums. :laughing:

I also have the best memories of TS2!! I remember going to see it. <3

Haven’t we had this thread a bunch of times before? anyhow…

Toy Story.

First one I watched, most nostalgic feel for it when I watch it, I feel it doesn’t have as much heart as the second, but the fantastic dialogue makes up for it. I don’t know, there’s something I just can’t put my finger on, on why I prefer it to the other two.

^It is the best one in my opinion. :smiley: Not my favorite, but the best.

Either Toy Story 3 or Toy Story
Toy Story 2 was never my favorite :frowning:

Shouldn’t there be a ‘2’ in there somewhere ;D

Toy Story 3 :sunglasses:

Oh I thought I put two, I guess not fixing it now.

Toy Story 3, no contest.

Since this always comes up… I’ve actually had a thought about Pixar re-animating the movies for the current standard, and out of nowhere something dawned on me. I think it would be really cool if they took maybe a scene from each TS and TS2, and did them up with the technology of TS3. Not re-create the movies, but just a glimpse of what it would look like.

I’ve mentioned it before, but nobody really wants them to go back and re-animate the first ones. We’ve grown up with Toy Story the way it is, is the way we remember it from the first times we watched it. Sure it may not be up to “Today’s Standard” but it just wouldn’t be the same. But I think that little scenes upgraded would be a pretty cool Special Feature down the line.