Pixar Planet

Doctor Who (Classic and New Series)

Here is the place to talk, rave, and discuss the latest non-Pixar films, television shows, music & books.

Moderator: Pixar Planet Moderators

Doctor Who (Classic and New Series)

Postby Leon K Fox » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:18 pm

Not much to say here, was just wondering if there are any fans of Doctor Who here, and if they're fans of the classic and/or new series? ^^

I myself absolutley love Doctor Who, mainly because of how vast and complicated its universe is, and now much it can change yet stay the same at the same time, it's so awesome and I feel guilty for not discovering it until I was 15 as the second series of Russel T Davies' era was airing, from Tooth and Claw onwards.

Steven Moffat/Matt Smith's first season was a mixed bag for me, it had a few great episodes though, don't get me wrong (The Eleventh Hour, The Time of Angels, Flesh and Stone, Amy's Choice and Vincent and The Doctor) and one very good one (The Lodger) but it also had its fair share of medicority (The Beast Below, Victory of the Daleks, Vampires in Venace) and some god awful ones such as The Hungry Earth, Cold Blood and The Big Bang.

So, any other fans here?
Leon K Fox
Garbage Boy

Postby Pizza Planet Truck » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:22 am

I liked the 10th Doctor. The current 11th Doctor has a "plastic looking" face.
Pizza Planet Truck
Toy Collector

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:25 am

Plastic looking? However do you mean? :? I mean no offence by this, but curiosity does beg me to ask.

The 11th Doctor is great but my favourite is Jon Pertwee (3rd Doctor) with Tom Baker (4th) and David Tennant (10th) tied in second place.
Leon K Fox
Garbage Boy

Postby Pizza Planet Truck » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:42 am

I just mean that to me, his face looks like plastic. Thats all.
Pizza Planet Truck
Toy Collector

Postby Leon K Fox » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:54 am

Sorry, it just seemed like an odd comment to me, I'd never heard it before ^^;
Leon K Fox
Garbage Boy

Postby Pizza Planet Truck » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:00 am

It's ok.

Doctor Who is one of my favorite series on T.V. When I remember to watch it.
Pizza Planet Truck
Toy Collector

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:50 am

I watched an episode today on BBC America. I liked it a lot, although I didn't really understand much.

(When I watch British TV series (especially The Office), I have trouble getting past the accents. Which is odd, because when I returned from Britain after being a student ambassador there for a month, my family said I had a bit of an accent. But now two years later, I understand German more than British! :oops: )

Anyways, the episode I watched involved Charles Dickens, who's one of my favorite authors. I'm going to watch more of the show!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Doctor Who

Postby JustSoWall-eCrazy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:43 am

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:Anyways, the episode I watched involved Charles Dickens, who's one of my favorite authors. I'm going to watch more of the show!

Was it the one with [spoil]the 9th Doctor and Rose, and there were these ghost-like aliens called the Gelth and they were haunting people[/spoil]?
JustSoWall-eCrazy
Master Scarer

Postby woody » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:06 am

I actually started a topic on this a while back, but no one really wanted to to talk about it back then xD but I've watched the show casually for a while but just started getting in to it when the 11th doctor came in. Amy Pond = Life.
woody
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Now Has Guilt » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:32 am

I love me some Doctor Who. It's probably my biggest TV obsession, besides Pushing Daisies, which is dead. So. It's brilliant!

I rather enjoyed the last season. It was a refreshing change. Don't get me wrong, Tennant was extraordinary, but after a while it felt like we'd seen it all before. Plus, episodes progressively made less sense. This finale, however, made sense to me. Well, as much as techno babble can make sense. Plus, it had a fez. What's not to love?

Moffat's enthusiasm and obsession with the series is evident. I just hope he continues to stray away from the Daleks and all of their rainbow extermination. I simply can't take them seriously. Sorry. Those costume changes did nothing. They still have plungers and egg beaters for deadly weapons. Oh, the sixties. So innovative. So resourceful. So...sixties.
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby LovePixar » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:38 pm

I like Dr Who, my sister is a massive fan. Personally I prefer the classic Dr Who episodes. I always thought they seemed more imaginative even if the special effects aren't particulary brilliant. But then again I always liked it up to about what Matt Smith became the Doctor. It has gone a bit donehill since then. Everyone always says I look like Amy :P x
LovePixar
Garbage Boy

Re: Doctor Who (Classic and New Series)

Postby Now Has Guilt » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:21 pm

Okay, is this seriously the only semi-not-dead board for Who on here? I'm sure we can do better! 3 weeks until series 6, part 2 :D

And LovePixar, I'm majorly delayed in replying (sorry), but I haven't seen all that much of classic Who. I'm not denying that it's imaginative or well-done. I just have issues with the Daleks themselves, special effects or no special effects haha. Downhill as in the plot or the acting?
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby definedancing » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 am

Hey guys, only 2 weeks and 5 days until Who's back on (for us Brits at least) :)

What do we think will happen after the reveal from last time?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
definedancing
Master Scarer

Postby Now Has Guilt » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 am

It comes out in America on the 27th as well! And if anyone on here hasn't seen it, there's a new-ish trailer for part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szw0dyFtJqk

Well, after Amy and Rory have picked themselves up off the floor, I guess they'll go looking for Melody. I mean, we know from the whole orphanage thing earlier in the season that she's apart from her parents when she's older, but who knows if they or the Doctor were with her at all before then? I haven't seen the early part of this season in a while, I'll have to rewatch that after the big reveal. I don't think that they'll get Melody back until the last episode of this series. They'll drag it all out for a while. Judging from the trailer, there'll be some side trips, maybe false leads or something.

What's up with Madame Kovarian? In the trailer they seem to hint that there's a connection between her and River, but that literally would not make sense. River wasn't nearly that old when she died. Unless Kovarian is a ganger version of her. Now that the gangers are around, it seems like anything is possible... Maybe the Doctor's death is actually the death of a ganger as well.
Great. Now I have guilt!
-x-
Now Has Guilt
Mutant Toy

Postby definedancing » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:18 am

I'm not very good with speculation! But that looks plausible.

Just a question, how popular is DW in the US? Coz it's massive in the UK, theres no escaping it! 8D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
definedancing
Master Scarer

Next

Return to Film, Television, Music & Books