The Incredibles: A Sequel or a Sitcom???

So we all have heard that a Monsters Inc 2 was confirmed. But I read comments all over the internet wondering why hasn’t a TI sequel been made or considered yet.

Then, just a few minutes ago, I came across this article about one person thinking that if Pixar was to explore the universe of the Incredibles again, why not do it as a TV series rather than a sequel?

[url]http://trueslant.com/erikkain/2010/04/26/incredibles-the-sitcom/[/url]

Below are a few comments that stood out to me from the author of the article.

I don’t know what majority of Pixar Planet thinks that PIxar should continue the adventures of The Incredibles. If you all know me, I am totally 100% for a sequel (as so long as it’s just as good or better than the original). But what is your opinion? What do you think Pixar should do? Or what do you want them to do?

A TV show would be pretty great, unless it’s traditionaLLY ANIMATED, LIKE Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. That was an okay show, and I watched it religiously, but it takes away the definitive look of the characters. Also, I hope they don’t make it look like the Penguins of Madagascar. I guess I would prefer a movie, for fear of said results. :confused:

If the sequel would be as good or better than the original, then of course.

But will it be? That 's the question…

When I think of the idea of a “superhero sitcom” I’m kind of brought back to that live-action version of The Tick on FOX. That was extremely short lived. I would prefer an actual sequel myself, but I’ve never thought of the sitcom aspect of it before.

To me, making a sequel to a film is pretty much defiling the original. It’s saying that there needs to be a continuation, and any good film should be able to stand on its own. So in my opinion, Pixar making Monsters, Inc. 2 says that the original isn’t good enough to be left alone, and the same would apply if there were to be a The Incredibles sequel. I’d be very sad to see The Incredibles 2, especially as the original is just so good.

A TV series, on the other hand, might be a good idea if it’s handled well. It would give the viewers a chance to explore the entire Incredibles family and their day-to-day superhero problems, and as the article said, it’s a very suitable film for a sequel. It would work well. My only concern would be how long it could last before it ‘fizzles out’, but it’s definitely something I’d be happy to see if it’s a faithful adaptation.

A TV series would be a lot of work. Having to come up with a good story each week and then having to create it would take up a lot of time and resources from the studio. I don’t think I would like a series of The Incredibles. Perrhaps though, the new Vancouver studio will work on something that will incorporate these awsome characters.

Also,

lizardgirl, how would you apply this thought process to the Toy Story sequels, or even other well made sequels like Terminator, Star Wars, and The Godfather? I haven’t really looked at sequels in this way before, but it is very interesting.

Yeah, I’m not against having a few Pixar sequels if it’s a story that they can do more with and if they’re done good (and judging from the Toy Story sequels alone Pixar knows how to make really good sequels), but I don’t want sequels to be all that they do now cause I’ve always felt their main focus has been coming up with new original stories every time. That’s why I’m disappointed about Newt. Does that mean I wouldn’t like to see a sequel to The Incredibles or Monsters Inc.? Not necessarily, but I would mostly like to keep seeing original work.

Uhhh… it is original. It’s not like they’re copying anything, it’s THEIR work. A sequel just means that you’re continuing the story, there’s nothing not original about it.

When I said original I meant as in a completely new story idea not explored before and completely new characters (Ex: making A Bug’s Life after Toy Story) instead of too many continuations of previous films. Pixar has done good sequels so far, but coming up with new ideas is really what they do best.

I do think of the Toy Story films though as being one big story, but some Pixar films you can only continue so far or the original story was so complete that it leaves nothing else to continue from. I guess that’s how lizardgirl feels regarding sequels to The Incredibles and Monsters Inc., but in my case those two at least have worlds that you can do more with.

To be honest, if you look at it that way: every sequel combined with the original is actually one big story…

love70ways- There are some series that are the exception to the rule because the original was made with the creators already knowing that sequels were to be made. Harry Potter and The Lord of the Ring films are two good examples, and though I don’t know much about Star Wars, I’m guessing the same applies with those films too (correct me if I’m wrong, though).

But if a film was made without the creators of the film already knowing they were going to make a sequel, then as I said before, it means that to them the original isn’t complete enough in some way, and that’s usually a negative criticism of the original film. Applying this to Toy Story and its sequel, I stand by the same theory- I much prefer the original and think that though Toy Story 2 was utterly brilliant, it wasn’t as good as its predecessor. I realise a lot of people will disagree with me, but that’s just my opinion. Pixar made a sequel because the original had done surprisingly well (as well as for other reasons), but to make a film because of that has to be one of the worst reasons to do so. I don’t know why Pixar are returning for a third in the series, and as much as I can’t wait to see it, I know it’s still not going to be as good as the original.

Hence, The Incredibles is an amazing film and I don’t want a sequel to be made because I think it would spoil it (for me, more than anything, once agan a viewpoint I doubt is shared widely). Flik-E seems to share somewhat similar sentiments generally; I completely get what you mean about a sequel not being something completely new or original, as the film-makers already have something to work with, and that’s probably part of the reason why Pixar are making a few sequels at the moment, as it makes financial sense.

That makes a lot of sense lizardgirl. Thank you for sharing!

I do agree that a sequel to The Incredibles is unnecessary. I think one reason so many people are pushing for one is because movies about superheroes work well in the sequel department. I think the Parr’s really finished their story (they worked out their family issues; Dash gets to go out for sports; superheroes are accepted in society again) so I’m not sure what major problem exsists for them to overcome in any potential sequel. It would have to be something brand new, I think.

Well, that is a though call. Personally, as long as there were good writers (Brad Bird included), and the animation didn’t suffer (whether it was traditional or CG), I’d love to see both! I’d love a sequel, and would probably want to see that first; I definitely want that more than a series. But, I myself have many ideas for a TI series, and would love to see it come to pass. But, as has been said, if it’s not done correctly, it can make the original suffer. It can deprive it of dignity and viewers. But, if you think about it, anything that you do that may advance something, almost always also has the ability to tare it down. So it’s a hard call. But, that’s in the hands of the writers to decide. If the inspiration is great and they have it in their hearts to do it, then it’s worth the gamble. The Incredibles seems as though it begs for a sequel, but even if I could, I would have no intention of rushing a sequel OR a series. Pixar handles things with dignity and honor, and as long as they keep that in their works, and they are controlling it, I’m sure it would be awesome, either or both ways. So, yes, I’d actually love to see both, but, only if it were done in the way Pixar does all their movies (and, yes, I mean handle the series like a sequel). That’s just my opinion. But, as I said, it’s not up to me (not yet, anyways :wink: ), it’s up to the writers. As I always say, “If it’s meant to be, then it’s meant to be.”

Well, you got me there. I guess I always assumed that they left the story open for one cause of the Underminer ending. Monsters also work well in the sequel department, and for Pixar to be making Monsters Inc. 2 they probably see something to it that they haven’t with The Incredibles (at least right now).

I don’t see why so many people think a sequel is a bad idea. Did you see the end?? Yes, they did that on purpose, so I’ll be hoping for one about 2014-15. Haha, I’ll be an adult then! That’ll be funny, because everyone says in 3-5 years I’ll stop watching so much animation, and I won’t!

A sequel definetly. I’ve never been a fan of basing, or turning a movie a TV show. Albiet i’ve always been a fan of turning a show (cartoon) into a movie (like Scooby Doo, Ed Edd n Eddy). Not vice versaaa.

I think an animated series based on the comic book series could do very well.
It could easily turn out as great as Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

It’s pretty exciting that we’ll be adults then! We’re like the same age, haha.

However, I do not personaly feel the Underminer was used to imply a sequel. Instead I think it signaled that the Parr family is a united team, always at the ready to combat villains and save the day. The Underminer is just a symbol of all the criminals that the Parr’s will defeat. It was also a moment of comedy. That guy was one pretty goofy villain!

I would just like to clear up, though, that I do believe the door is open for a sequel; just in a different way than by the Underminer specificaly. This is a film about superheroes and there are so many places they can go with a sequel. I just think no problems within the family were left unsolved in the first film and that is a sequel is not necessary.

A second Incredibles would be a nice treat, but it is not at all needed.

Well if they do make a sequel then they would have to make their lucky charm John Ratzenberger The Underminer again cause they already established him as his character. It wouldn’t have to be a big part of the story either, just a small fight at the beginning where the original left off. They actually did make a video game sequel with him called The Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer, so if they ever made a real sequel it would be because they won’t expect anyone to remember that game by then.

An Incredibles sitcom? NO.

An Incedibles miniseries in the same vein as HBO’s Band of Brothers, with a set begging, middle, and end?
Oh. Yes.
I’d rather have that than a single sequel, tbh, so long as Bard Bird and pals are on board.

And I don’t think that a sequel damages the original movie. You can always, you know, ignore the sequel’s/prequel’s existence. That’s what most peeps do to the Star Wars prequels. :confused: