Anyone else thinks kids channels suck today?

^Oh, I forgot to mention P&F and WoW

As time goes on, I find myself watching tv less and less.

I know Phineas and Ferb is Disney’s big thing, but while I enjoyed parts of it, it never really drew me in like the shows that preceded it.

I think the last new (well, newish!) cartoons I watched were SymBionic Titan and MegasXLR.
After seeing the season 1 finale of SBT, I got a bit miffed when I found out that the backstory subplot they’d been working on all season was never going to be resolved!
Thinking about watching Generator Rex, but haven’t decided about that yet.

I like the first series of Ben10, but I feel the further iterations aren’t as entertaining.
Ben and Gwen were much more interesting as kids, they’re not as engaging as teens.
Also, I resent the fact that Gwen went from tomboy to girly girl (judging from appearance).

Considering that many of my favorite live and animated shows have been axed before all the plots were resolved, I’m incredibly cautious about watching something new now.
Basically, I want to be assured that all the story points are wrapped up in a neat little package, all the subplots are finished and the show ends not leaving you feeling like it was incomplete.
If the show ends without the story being finished properly, I’ll refuse to even start watching it now.
And I won’t even consider it until the final episode has been aired with the series being taken off the channel, so I can find out if the stories were finished or not.

I checked 4 days ago to see what else Disney was offering and it was like ordering a dish of bland, a side of disinterest and a meh to go with it.

Live action kids tv has even less appeal to me, it seems like they’re just all following the same formula, get kids and/or tweens to make a sitcom, then fire them when they turn 15-17 and make another one.

I’m vaguely contemplating watching the Thundermans, but haven’t decided if I should yet.
The only reasons I looked at it in the first place is I like superhuman stuff and thought the idea of a good girl super living with her evil super brother might be funny.
Not so sure the talking rabbit idea was worth including, that’s a gimmick prop usually.

Cartoon Network is a pretty good channel. Adventure Time is a great show and I like how they reveal and develop characters over time. People really under estimate Pen Wards capacity for pathos and story.

On the other hand I hate Nickelodeon and I hope they burn.

Don’t care about Disney channel.

You can find older cartoons available for streaming if you visit Hulu. I was watching Garfield & Friends on there today.

It’s sad that those channels have gone down low. I definitely miss the old days of those channels.

I blame Anne Sweeney for the demise of Disney Channel. Since the mid 2000’s, the channel aired nothing but unentertaining tween crap like The Suite Life, Hannah Montana, and High School Musical. I really miss Vault Disney.

Nickelodeon’s main reason for their downhill is there dependence on SpongeBob which hasn’t been spectacular since before the film.

And Cartoon Network is guilty for showing live-action shows.

At least Disney Channel has Gravity Falls and Cartoon Network has Steven Universe.

I have seen the Thundermans first season and some of the second season by now.
It’s an interesting take on the superhuman story, especially Phoebe living with her “evil twin”.
Haunted Hathaways is a crossover show with Thundermans now and that’s also entertaining to me.

I’ve seen the first season of Generator Rex and that was also interesting.
But I don’t think that show is still in production.

I’m currently looking for Lab Rats, as the few clips i’ve seen so far are enough to make me want to see it.
The other live action show though (Kickin’ It) didn’t appeal to me, from what I read about it.
I gather it’s all about aesoping and slapstick comedy, I’m uncertain if it has a serious story to go with that.

I think Disney and CN have improved, I can’t say the same about Nick. They just get worse and worse with every single year. I heard Hey Arnold might get revived, but there’s no conformation yet. Nick’s problem is they’re trying to be hip, even though they don’t know what is hip with kids today. They also can’t let go of SpongeBob. Yeah, it’s the show making lot of money for them, but they need a replacement.

There’s one kid’s cartoon where the name alone caused to have a momentary mindblank, then followed by a whattheheck reaction and finally, how the heck did a show like this get approved for production?
I think when someone has those 3 reactions, that tells you everything about the quality of the show in question.

I don’t know more then the title about the show in question.
I’m actually afraid to do any research on it, in case it turns out to be one of those things you can’t unlearn.

^Well what it’s the title?

The day my went psycho.
That’s as much as I am comfortable with in identifying the show.

^Still very confused but I will take your word for it.

The Powerpuff Girls will get new voice actresses. It seems the original voice actresses want to return, but they weren’t even given a chance. I’m sure the new ones are fine and talented, but I think Cartoon Network should give a good reason why they left them out, it seems money wasn’t an issue.

^Yeah, I feel bad for all six actresses. It’s a total insult not even to let the original three know about the situation, and now some diehard fans are being completely rude about the three new actresses.

I hate how TV shows and cartoons (on Nick and Disney Channel) are dumbed down nowadays and how there’s nowhere near as much effort put into the shows as there were back then. The creators of the shows must think kids are stupid or something nowadays because the shows nowadays aren’t all that funny or just plain stupid. I wish Nickelodeon would fill a whole channel up with their classic shows and not just a four-hour block on TeenNick. If they did that, Nick would have like better ratings and pull in more money and viewers. Also, what is up with the Disney Channel? All they air is live-action nowadays and hardly air cartoons. Disney used to be full of cartoons, including Ducktales, Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers, Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Gummi-Bears, and many others. Why not rerun those? People would gladly watch those and Disney would get their ratings back up. I heard they’re making a reboot of Ducktales but they should also air the older ones too.

While I agree that most of today’s cartoons are dumb, Adventure Time is one that is actually really good. It has a lot of layers and often addresses deeper issues of morality, once you get pass the seemingly childish exterior. I’m not sure a lot of people realize it, but the show is also supposed to take place in a [spoil]post-apocalyptic future.[/spoil]

It’s been about 5 years since this thread was started. I think both Disney Channel and Cartoon Network have been greatly improving. If Disney Channel could just get better people in charge of their live action department, I think they’d be dominating.

Nick on the other hand, I think is just getting worse. :laughing: Somebody needs to tell them that Spongebob isn’t funny anymore and hasn’t been for about 10 years.

It’s just an impression, but I think Lab Rats (superheroes) is given less priority then Kickin’ it.
I don’t know much about that second show, but the little I do know says it’s not a good show, my impression is slapstick comedy combined with martial arts.
For the record, I like Lab Rats best.

Somebody mentioned a Disney show about some Latin American teen called Violetta and I looked it to get better informed.
The reviews were consistently negative, the show was mostly about the lead character being dishonest.

As for Spongebob, yeah, they so need to get rid of that stupid sponge.
My favorite Nick toons are Danny Phantom and My Life as a Teenage Robot.
They are good shows too and it just makes me annoyed that they’ve been dismissed in favor of low brow humor.

I closed my eyes every time the Spongebob movie trailer played in the cinema and wished I could close my ears too…

On the topic of voice casting, Cities of Gold (english title) got a sequel season recently.
Now, I get that the original voice cast could not return, considering the first season was broadcast in the 80s.
But they should have at least made an effort to make sure the english dub cast sounded like the ones from the 80s.
To my ears, their voices are too high pitched, they sound too young compared to the originals.
But I suppose you’d only know the difference if you’d seen the first season.

I’ve always been an advocate of cartoon stations showing both new content and classics.

So Nickelodeon as since announced The Splat, which is a block of Nick shows from the 90s and early 2000s. I’m kind of disappointed show since it’s really only a rebranding of The 90s are All That. It will be a bit longer and have a few more shows, but it will still be on Teennick. But I think it will have more money thrown into it.

Some classic shows might also be coming back. Nick said they might do specials on shows like Rugrats and Hey Arnold. There have been hints on the second Hey Arnold movie getting made, even my Nick themselves. If they do come back there is no word when. While I don’t care for a full revival all that much a few specials does sound nice, as long as they get as many of the original cast and crew back as possible.