BOX OFFICE Thread ( Super 8 is Number 1)

Sucker Punch, Highness and Scream 4 are bombs, such a pity, however Rio will sweep the competition until Kung Fu Panda 2 gets released next month, Hoodwinked 2 looks like to bomb too against that monster from the blue sky studios

the great and happy thing is that the summer season is coming out and the big blockbusters will be there, starting with Fast 5 and Thor, so excited for that :smiley:

I’m acutally very excited for Thor. And I have a lot of friends excited for Fast Five. Seems like the summer blockbuster party just came early.

I do feel a bit sorry for Sucker Punch, but it was another ‘visuals-rich, narratively-poor’ piece from Zack Snyder. At least it was an original story instead of an adaptation of an existing property like his last three films (LOTG, Watchmen, 300).

I’m not too concerned about Highness and Scream 4, which didn’t aim too high from the reviews I’ve read. Can’t remember if you said this, but have you watched ‘that monster from blue sky studios’, bryan? There must be a reason why it’s doing such gangbusters… (besides the obvious 3D surcharge) :wink:

Kung Fu Panda 2 is coming out on the same day as Cars 2 in June in Australia, so it would be very interesting to see who comes out with the better box-office takings for the opening weekend.

Anyway, Rio is No. 1 for the third consecutive weekend internationally. This is quite an achievemement, as it has now surpassed the ‘Two No.1 Weekends’ club and joined the ranks of Lord of the Rings, Titanic, Avatar, The Dark Knight and other blockbusters. Granted, the 3D surcharge and its appeal to Latin American markets have been huge contributing factors to its success, but perhaps it is repeat customers and ‘latent newcomers’ (those who come late to the party after the opening weekend) who are helping to propel it through the school holidays and into the summer season. :mrgreen:

Box Office Mojo report

That is very interesting about Cars 2 & Kung Fu Panda 2. I can’t wait to see what will happen!

Oh, and Viva Rio!

UPDATED: April 22-24, 2011

Weekend Actuals

Thanks for the chart Bryan, it’s quite helpful!

Scream 4 is declining sharply! On the lighter side, however, Hop’s increased by a small 13%, pretty impressive for a movie that i thought was going to bust, and Rio is somewhat slipping, but 32% isn’t so bad when the first week had it’s good toll of 39 mil.

you’re welcome my friend :smiley:

I think that was because of Easter, that must have been the mean reason of its increase

That defintely explains the increase, it is an Easter movie after all!

Weekend estimates
admin.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ … =17&p=.htm

1 Fast Five - $83.63m
2 Rio - $14.40m
3 Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family - $10.05m
4 Water for Elephants - $9.13m
5 Prom - $5.00m
6 Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil - $4.14m
7 Soul Surfer - $3.30m
8 Insidious - $2.69m
9 Hop - $2.56m
10 Source Code - $2.53m
11 African Cats - $2.34m
12 Hanna - $2.20m

There was another opener this week that tanked. Dylan Dog: Dead of Night managed a paltry $885,000 in 875 theaters.

Fast Five is the biggest opener of April and the biggest by far of 2011.

I like how Rio de Janeiro set films are in the top two spots, I approve!

EJE: Seconded!

Rio has surprisingly good holding power, probably due to the Easter school crowd and the 3D surcharge.

I think Rio is third at Australian B.O. the weekend before after Fast Five and Thor at 1 and 2 respectively. Have to confirm. Still waiting on last weekend. Box Office Mojo is about a week behind on the Aussie B.O. report.

If anything, I predict that Eduardo Paes (the mayor of Rio) will be having a lot of visitors to his city within the coming months after people have seen the depictions of the ‘Marvelous City’ in those two movies (And having watched Fast Five, might I add, what different depictions! :smiley:).

i also saw Hoodwinked Too, and while it’s an underwhelming movie, it’s ‘good-intentioned’, and I’m pleased to see it’s within the Top Ten.

I wonder when Thor will be released Stateside. IMDB says it should be in limited release now, so I’m wondering why it’s not in the latest report.

IMDB’s wrong. It’s released everywhere on the 6th.

UPDATED: April 29 - May 1, 2011

Weekend Actuals

Fast Five Opens Breaking ALL-TIME April Records

PS: Thanks tribefan695 for posting the weekend estimates

From the looks of thing Fast Five will be one of the biggest box office hits of the year (if not the whole decade). It broke the records set for a Universal movie - opening day, in the UK and Australia from what i’ve read.

yeah, could be, but the franchise is fronloaded

Is it true that there is going to be a Sixth F&F movie?

I haven’t heard or read anything about it but after this success I don’t doubt it

It’s happening. Just about everyone needed is on board for a sixth movie. Reportedly Fast Five is intended to be a “transition” from the street racing-themed movies of its predecessors to more of a heist story.

I watched an interview with Vin Diesel where he explains that he intends to make a second trilogy, so if I’m not mistaken, they’re starting pre-production on the sixth film now. Besides, as complete as the ending for Fast Five was, there’s a little post-ending scene that hints at a sequel. :wink:

Don’t wanna gloat, but I’m very pleased with Fast Five and Rio’s performance at the box-office now. Very interested to see how the Brazilian duo come up against Thor in other territories this week, and X-Men: First Class and Pirates of the Caribbean in the coming weeks, if they’ve got the legs. I’m also proud of Thor’s takings, it is an above-average superhero movie and which I would recommend anyone remotely interested to see.