BOX OFFICE Thread ( Super 8 is Number 1)

You and me both, brother.

Site’s acting up right now, but I was able to get this week’s estimates
boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/ … =18&p=.htm

1 Thor - $66.00m
2 Fast Five - $32.52m
3 Jumping the Broom - $13.70m
4 Something Borrowed - $13.16m
5 Rio - $8.20m
6 Water for Elephants - $5.60m
7 Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family - $3.90m
8 Prom - $2.43m
9 Soul Surfer - $2.10m
10 Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil - $1.88m
11 Insidious - $1.32m
12 Source Code - $1.24m

Two movies based on books on that list and both doing badly. Something Borrowed and Water For Elephants. Also, I’m guessing from the title that Jumping the Broom is about slaves being forced to marry people they don’t like…no one wants to see that.

Water for Elephants actually isn’t doing too bad given its budget. It’s now up to a $42 million domestic total on a $38 million budget.

Something Borrowed’s budget is $35 million, and given standard chick flick performance it’ll likely make that back in the coming weeks.

And Jumping the Broom has nothing to do with slavery. It’s basically an African-American version of Meet the Parents.

They used a term that dates back to the days of slavery to name it though.

I’m proud to say that I gave money to both Rio and Fast Five this past weekend.

Sorry that i haven’t gone on this thread in a while, but it looks like Fast Five is doing much better than I had anticipated, and I would agree that Rio is doing well also, despite that I haven’t seen it. Thor is starting to look up for itself, but it would probably be the last of the Marvel Heroes to top in a huge box office gross. I was glad Hoodwinked Too didn’t do well, i knew it wouldn’t because for one thing, i never saw any advertisements for it and second, the first one was well off just by itself.

As someone who has indeed watched Hoodwinked Too! and can therefore comment from first-hand experience, I think its box-office performance is rightfully deserved. It had good intentions, but poor execution. I personally enjoyed it more than my friends did (since I love silly parodies and spoofs), but I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for it. :slight_smile:

I am very, very pleased with how well Rio and Fast Five are doing. And like EJE, I am proud to say that I gave my money to Fast Five the weekend before, and Rio for the second time last Wednesday, and I am glad to say they earned it! :mrgreen:

I also watched Thor again, but it was because my mates and I snuck into another theatre after watching Source Code. I wished more people went to see Source Code, it is a very good sci-fi thriller and a great love story, and the ‘Son of Bowie’ definitely deserves more attention for such a finely crafted film for the summer season. Thor is also a good watch, if a little campy, and I highly recommend anyone considering it to check it out for a matinee in 2D.

Weekend Estimates (May 13-15)
admin.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ … =19&p=.htm

1 Thor - $34.50m
2 Bridesmaids - $24.41m
3 Fast Five - $19.53m
4 Priest - $14.50m
5 Rio - $8.00m
6 Jumping the Broom - $7.30m
7 Something Borrowed - $7.00m
8 Water for Elephants - $4.10m
9 Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family - $2.20m
10 Soul Surfer - $1.80m
11 Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil - $1.03m
12 Insidious - $0.97m

Is Bridesmaids seriously racking up this high of a gross? Maybe this was the first week, so this actually may be horrible!

Priest did even worse, i thought it might be worth a few kicks, but then again, adult swim did an awesome job of showing how ‘awesome’ it was!

It’s actually a decent opening for Bridesmaids. Its budget was $32.5 million and should make that back with ease.

Rio and Fast Five still going strong in the Top 5 despite several weeks at the box-office. Quite curious about Water for Elephants because I heard rave reviews, but kinda sad it took a tumble… I’m a bit miffed that Bridesmaids is really racking up the moolah, it looks like an average romcom to me (but I haven’t seen the trailer or whole movie, so maybe I should be more forgiving).

Very eager to see Pirates 4 and KFP2’s performance in the coming weeks!

Thor’s drop is quite nice, glad for it, now I am expecting for this weekend biggest NEW release

GO PIRATES!!!, yo-ho, yo-ho

PS: Black Swan was released in Japan this past weekend and it opened HUGE, such a surprise,

Same here! I’d think that The Hangover Part II would dominate the weekend it comes out, but since KFP2 comes out the same day, it’ll for suer make more money. Reason? Because it appeals to not only children, but teenagers and adults. As well as disinterested adults who are just taking their children. As for The Hangover Part II (which I’ll be seeing), has a more limited fan base: Teenagers and Adults.

But it’ll be interesting to see how big a gap the two will have money wise.

Weekend Estimates (May 20-22)
boxofficemojo.com/weekend/ch … =20&p=.htm

1 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - $90.10m
2 Bridesmaids - $21.06m
3 Thor - $15.50m
4 Fast Five - $10.63m
5 Rio - $4.65m
6 Priest - $4.60m
7 Jumping the Broom - $3.70m
8 Something Borrowed - $3.43m
9 Water for Elephants - $2.15m
10 Tyler Perry’s Madea’s Big Happy Family - $0.99m
11 Soul Surfer - $0.95m
12 Midnight in Paris - $0.58m

I don’t want to say this, but: DAEMN! Pirates Rocked the first week!

Still surprised Bridesmaid’s still keeping a good gross, the second best to say!

Thor and Fast Five are doing well for now, for being in the box office for so long, but let’s see how Pirates will perform in the later weeks!

i’ve heard bridesmaids is actually really, really good. glad to see rio still holdin’ up there. i’ll actually probably see it again next weekend.

i totally agree that KPF2 will make more, though i’m not sure if the hangover part II will make more on its opening weekend. animated movies (or at least the well-advertised ones) usually make a /ton/ on opening weekends. plus, like you said, it’s got a larger target audience. but then again, both are highly-anticipated sequels. so we’ll see! i’ll definitely be seeing both.

Sweet! And yes, everyone I know has been talking about The Hangover Part II, and KFP to a lesser extent. That’s great that you’ll be seeing both, I’ll for sure be seeing The Hangover Part II, and at the midnight premier1

As for Piratessuccess, that’s no suprise!

Pirates at number one? I’m not surprised at all.

I know right?

I’ve already gave my money to a movie premiering this weekend! The Hangover Part II. It’s selling like hot cakes where I live. My friends and I got our tickets today, and we’re in theatre 3! For Pirates midnight premier only 1 and 1/2 theatres were full.