Cars 2 Reviews

I didn’t think it was bad. In fact, it was great, but i must say that this is Pixar’s weakest film. I enjoyed Cars 2, but it lacked something. I would watch it again, nonetheless. i give it a 7.5/10.

I found the Pizza Planet truck [spoil]near the end[/spoil], A113[spoil]was on the airplane[/spoil], and i loved the [spoil]Gusteau’s[/spoil] reference. :smiley:

Well, I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was really good. :smiley:
I found it to be a little fast paced, but after another viewing I think I could really start loving this movie.
I had read enough to not be spoiled, but just enough to know what to expect. I went into the theater today expecting a movie that’s just supposed to be fun, but also darker than the first Cars. and that’s exactly what it was. :slight_smile:
There wasn’t much screen time for the old characters, but they sure brought in a few great new ones. I like Finn, Holley, and Francesco the best.
The animation was stunning. I was really freaking out during the beginning scene. 8D
Michael Giacchino did an amazing job. :slight_smile: I’ll be sure to order the soundtrack sometime soon.
[spoil]I thought the tribute to Doc was really nice. Short, but very sweet. I found myself getting slightly teary-eyed.[/spoil]
So overall, I loved it. I’m pretty sure that when I see it again (hopefully on my birthday!) I’ll start getting obsessed. :stuck_out_tongue: I believe I will give this an 8 out of 10.
Pixar, you never fail to impress me. Well done. :sunglasses:

[spoil]Yeah if that scene was any longer than it was, I would have started to cry. The last thing I wanted to do was cry, but the movie made me cry with Mater anyway. Pixar never fails to make me cry, no matter how hard I try not to. I’m sorry, but I can’t see how anyone could think there’s no emotion in the movie.[/spoil]

That’s basically my exact thoughts :smiley: I’ll write a thorough review soon.

Guys, Ding is going to be making a topic of user reviews so we avoid the critic reviews posted here. It’s to make it less confusing and more fair because we all know that the ratings are unfair.

His review is going to be pretty long, so prepare your eyes. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s a good idea to have two seperate threads.

Well, I’m glad to say that EMPIRE magazine has given Cars 2 a pretty good review! The magazine’s final verdict is:

“It’s not vintage Pixar, but Cars 2 is still streets ahead of most of the animated pack. For all its energy and Bondian panache, perhaps its problems are insurmountable: Pixar’s Cars - and their universe - don’t resonate and endear as much as its toys, monsters, clownfish or OAP dreamers”

• they gave the movie 3/5 stars, which using their key means it was ‘Good’.

EMPIRE generally know what they’re talking about! Most reviewers seem to like the movie. So, I’m just going to forget about the Rotten Tomatoes score (so unfair!) and judge the movie myself when I see it when it drives into theatres here in the UK :smiley:

I’m glad to see that Cars 2 is getting some love from the critics!

Still not enough, but oh well. Considering that Pixar is going down the tube, making another Toy Story and most likely another Cars, maybe Cars 2 won’t look so bad after all.

Personally, I love sequels. I adore them. I wish they would keep making them forever and ever with every single movie. <3 Or at least shorts for every single movie. :stuck_out_tongue: I want to continue to know the lives of all of their characters. :slight_smile:

I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…That goes for Toy Story & Cars Plus why make a Cars 3 if the second one was not well received…

And why make a Toy Story 4 if the last one ended it perfectly?

Money.

I seriously don’t care, let them have my money. I will buy the DVDs of the Toy Story Toons and Cars Toons. I will buy the toys. I will buy the clothes. I will buy the jewelry. I will buy anything if it has any Pixar character on it. If it means enjoying myself by watching all of my favorite characters come back again, so be it. I love every single Pixar movie, but Cars the most. I would love to see a sequel to anything if Pixar can make it possible. And every sequel so far, even Cars 2, Pixar has made it possible.

Besides, if Pixar falls, maybe the fans here will stop being so snobby and let fans be fans of movies if a sequel of their favorite movie comes out. Or they’ll stop bashing Dreamworks for the sake of it being Dreamworks. And then maybe they’ll stop saying “Ohhh my godddd I lost faithhhh” over and over again every time a new movie comes out thinking it’s going to be bad.

Just because Cars 2 wasn’t received well doesn’t mean it was a bad movie. Even the reviews that were complaining said it was a good movie, just a bad Pixar one, which is why a lot of people (even those who hate Cars) says that the ratings over at RT are unjust. Anyone with a pair of eyes can see that. Not just the blind fans.

I just read over this and it totally sounds like I’m attacking you. I can assure you, I’m not attacking you. I’m just stating how I feel about sequels and I feel that a lot of the people here really overreact when it comes to sequels.

Did I say I want a Toy Story 4 clearly if you look I said “I say if it ain’t broke don’t fix it…That goes for Toy Story & Cars” And I did not say Cars 2 was a bad movie I just said it was not well received I liked it just do not think they should make a 3 just like I think Toy Story should not get a 4.

Whoa, did I say that’s what you said? :neutral_face: I was using an example. Like I said, I wasn’t attacking you.

Aaww, thanks! :smiley: I’m working on some drawings for a little post-Cars 2 project with my friend, which is fun. And it’s cool that you still love Guido and Luigi! -thumbs up- XD

I understand there is a seperate thread for user reviews to avoid confusion with critic reviews. Well, I’m both a user and a critic, so I’m confused :slight_smile:. Here’s my review in a local paper :slight_smile:. I’m Brent, and my co-reviewer (who is also my mother) is Roberta.

santamariasun.com/film/

• When not reviewing, I call Tangled by it’s true title, Rapunzel :slight_smile:

Well almost everything you said was directed at me…So I was just trying to say how I feel about sequels for any Pixar film and I was not attacking you and I know you were not attacking me.

Well, I saw Cars 2 yesterday and I can understand why the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes do not recommend this film. I saw it with some kids, but I have to say that unlike previous Pixar films, I would not recommend it to any adults, and I don’t think it has that all around enjoyable quality. I mean, yes, there were cute jokes and I particularly enjoyed the Japanese references and differences, but I dunno… it just felt really forced and flat. It didn’t feel like a Pixar film at all, as much as I wish that it did, which I am disappointed in, being a fan, I wanted Pixar to continue its streak of critically successful films.

My question though is, why was the film allowed to continue through all of the development phases with no one (presumably) questioning whether this was good enough to be labelled a Pixar film and that it would stand the test of time? I have a feeling that it is because of John Lasseter. Why did Newt, which was supposed to be directed by Gary Rydstrom, get the axe because of the storyline (which, although I am disappointed in because I like Gary and the story sounded plain quirky and cool, but I understand if the was the right decision for Pixar), yet Cars 2, which isn’t even nearly as good as Ratatouille or WALL-E or Up, was able to continue? My guess would be that no-one wanted to tell John Lasseter, the head honcho of Pixar - their boss - that it wasn’t good enough.

I can just imagine the Pixarians sitting around with hushed voices, debating about whether to stage an intervention. “Look, John, we love you buddy. But you have a problem. We just can’t let Cars 2 go through. You can work on the Pixar rides and oversee Pixar, but we just can’t let you do this.”

Isn’t that such a double standard? I was never really looking forward to Cars 2, only looking over it at Brave, but I never in a million years expected it to turn out this way. I had faith in Pixar that they wouldn’t let something that is not of Pixar standard to be released. I guess what I hadn’t put into consideration was the social dynamics that every group, Pixar or not, is held to.

Now, I can understand why die-hard fans enjoy it, especially seeing the characters again. And I know that Cars 2 will do pretty well at the box office and they will sell tons of toys, and when the film was greenlighted during the global financial crisis (when studios, even Disney and Pixar were more likely to fund known and proven franchises) and the way I see it, it will be able to fund new, QUALITY Pixar films in the future. But the ends doesn’t justify the means. I think that this should have been canned, even if it meant that the studio was less secure.

On the upside, there are tons of references in there so I am looking forward to finding them all when the film comes out on DVD.

I honestly thought that there was generally no lack of legendary Pixar quality. I mean, as TDIT said, it certainly is the best animated action film since the Incredibles. Of course, this is coming from a die-hard fan, but I’m just saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I’m glad to have it as an addition to Pixar’s unrivaled track record.

I haven’t had the a chance to see this yet (To be honest the only Pixar films I’ve seen in Theaters are all the toy story movies, a bugs life, Finding Nemo, and Ratatouie the others I have either seen on tv or in cars case a plane :laughing: ).

But It looks beautfiul. I bet it is Pixar’s weakest film but it isn’t as bad as the critics made it out to be. Roger Ebert gave it 3 and half out of four stars! Even if it a bad film no biggie 11 out of 12 isn’t bad. Disney hasn’t had all critical hits (see the Black Caludron, Pocohantas, Brother bear (which I liked alot though), and Chicken Little to just name a few).\

Actually only the muppet movies have never recvived a rotten rating on rt (the lowest though is 60% for MFS)

I didn’t realize Dreamworks’ Kung Fu Panda had a better rating than Cars 2.