Cars Toons

I was a bit disappointed too! I at first loved the Cars Toons, but… the more they make of them, the more they seem to lose their “magic”. And if that happens, it doesn’t make the movie or Pixar look all that stunning anymore. :confused: I personally think they should stop making these little side trips and focus on the main ones. They are a little distracting, off-road, and can almost make them look bad. But hey, that’s just my personal opinion. It doesn’t necessarily make it true.

I agree. Although it was entertaining it doesn’t seem like something from Pixar. It wasn’t funny, it was very predictable, and the characters (even Mater) weren’t that interesting. I loved all the other Cars Toons but this one was just not up to Pixar’s standard.

I think the Cars Toons shorts are pretty funny, but at the same time my feelings about them are mixed. The reason is because they sometimes give the uneasy impression that they could be selling out on the film too much cause of all the overexposure and merchandise. Of course knowing Pixar, I trust that that’s not the case. The shorts are probably just meant to be something similar to the Toy Story Treats or to create an anticipation for the sequel, and I also know that they always think of the quality of their work above all else and the merchandise is just something that comes out of it. Still, I can’t help but think that Cars has had a lot more merchandise than it really needs.

Aside from that, I still like these shorts. It’s always funny whenever Mater tells Lightning “You was there too!”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Disney has bought a bunch of new domain names, including:
LUNARMATER.COM (Lunar Mater)
MOONMATER.COM (Moon Mater)
RIGHTSTUFFMATER.COM (Right Stuff Mater)
MATERPI.COM (Mater Pi)
INVESTIGATORMATER.COM (Investigator Mater)

Source: slashfilm.com/2010/03/03/dis … man-movie/

Lunar Mater or Moon Mater (whichever one it may end up being) sounds interesting there. Astronaut cars! :smiley:

But of course, we’ll just have to see if those domain names prove anything or not. :wink:

Hmm, you think Lunar Mater will have a cameo of the Buzz Lightyear car?

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m looking forward to Investigator Mater!

Cars Toons are a shame to Pixar. I’m really sorry, but they are. I really tried enjoying them when I saw them that night on ABC Family when they played the Pixar shorts back to back. I got a few laughs out of them, but besides that, the plot lines are corny, everyone seems so out-of-character besides Mater (heck, Lightning McQueen doesn’t even have the same voice! Shame! :angry:), the film is waaaay too over-advertised as it is, and they just seemed like cheap flicks for more money, to my dismay. They felt too modern-day-Disney (with no offense to Disney itself, obviously) - throwing out cheap sequels to keep a name alive and to make more moolah. :confused:

Pixar is too good for this. I mean, really. :cry:

little chef

While I do share your opinion to a certain extent, little_chef, I have to argue that Cars is one of the hugest fanbases Pixar has for a movie (next to Toy Story and Wall-E, maybe). Therefore, it would make creative and financial sense to please the fans by releasing periodical adventures and shorts to entertain them. Granted, I would’ve been more excited if Wall-E or Monsters Inc were chosen instead, and Mater isn’t exactly my favourite character and is slowly becoming a ‘Jar Jar Binks’ (though he’s still miles ahead).

The thing I’m more annoyed about is that it’s quite difficult for international fans outside the States to access the shorts. I could be ignorant or uninformed, but I don’t see any way to watch them besides rips on Youtube (which end up getting muted or pulled down). Maybe if they release them on iTunes or on DVD like the Pixar shorts, then accessibility can be improved (of course, I could be wrong, so someone please correct me if they did provide a means to watch them besides on terrestial TV).

But yeah, they should get Owen Wilson and focus on the other characters instead of just Mater. He’s an amicable character, but I think it’s time the rest have a chance in the spotlight.

They always seem to be showing on the Disney Channel, thedriveintheatre, but that’s the only way I’ve been able to see them.

I also agree with you to a certain extent, little_chef. I think they’re quite fun to watch but there’s nothing particularly deep or interesting about them, and though you’re correct, thedriveintheatre, in the sense that there is a massive fanbase for Cars, I hate the idea that Pixar has created something just to please their fans.

They’re quite whimsical little shorts though, and as I said, they’re fun to watch once but they don’t have much re-play value and I’d rather that Pixar didn’t go down this route too often.

I guess you’re right in a way, lizardgirl. They are not exactly as smart as the ‘pre-movie’ shorts, and it’s sort of an episodic animated series kinda feel. Personally I would argue that it’s no different from having Boom comics for Incredibles or Wall-E fans (but then again, Cars has its own freakin’ magazine).

How do I put this? I don’t mind the Mater shorts since I’m a Cars fan, and I would love to see more of them, but at the same time, I hope that Pixar doesn’t become too ‘cheap’ as a result of it. As long as they’re not making direct-to-DVD sequels, then I guess I’m fine with it. :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if Pixar will make different Cars Toons other than Mater’s Tall Tales. I think that they should make something than recaps Lightning’s life after the first film to get you ready for Cars 2.

I finally saw “Tokyo Mater” the other night (on Disney XD) and I have to say, I really liked it - and I’ve never seen any of those “Tokyo Drift,” etc., movies. Loved the extra little Pixar in-jokes: [spoil]the Mike and Sulley Monster Trucks glimpsed when Mater comes out of the sliding doors (I’m guessing that’s meant to be a sushi place?), and the Wall-E-style ad for “Lug Nuts in a Cup.”[/spoil]

I don’t mind the CarsToons, I guess I just take them for what they are.

I’m watching Unidentified Flying Mater right now!

They need to release these on DVD. I’d buy it. Especially for Mater the Greater.

Apparently, in season 3, Owen Wilson will return as McQueen, most likely because they’re recording him for Cars 2 and they could get him to do them.

EDIT: So now I’m reading that Sally will be in Season 3 which will start after Cars 2 comes out.

Is’nt a new one of these supposed to come out soon? I hope I can see it on Youtube or something. While they don’t hold a candle to all the other Pixar shorts, I enjoy the CarsToons, and at least they are entertaining.

I believe it’s premiering on Disney channel on July 30th.

In America… :cry:

It’ll probably be on youtube in the next few days or weeks, hopefully.