Cartoon Network

Thought there would be a thread on this, but I couldn’t find one, so here goes…

Subject title is self explantatory. This thread is to discuss the channel and all aspects of it: Past; present and future. I guess I’ll start it off by giving my thoughts:

I love Disney and Pixar. When it comes to animated movies, they are the best for me. But when it comes to TV, Cartoon Network rules mys heart! I grew up with it and love it still to this day. From the classics like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter’s Laboratory and Courage the Cowardly Dog, to modern gems like Generator Rex, Adventure Time and Regular Show, Cartoon Network is the only channel for me. Nickelodeon is okay, and Disney Channel did have Fillmore, Recess and Proud Family, CN trumps them all!

Anyway, after that fanboy gushing, what are your memories, observations, critiques, favourites, predictions etc. on Cartoon Network?

…Let’s just forget about CN Real, okay?

I’ve watched Cartoon Network when I was little and I still love it too this day! I watched almost all of the classic shows, and I like some of the new ones.

Nice to meet a fellow fan! :smiley:

I’m glad you like some of the new shows too. The old ones were classics! I don’t like all of the new ones (looking at you, Ninjago), but the vast majority I like. I feel like too many people remember the slump the channel had a couple of years back whih they’ve now basically recovered from, mostly.

Is it just me, or does anyone else prefer watching shows on an actual channel rather than on demand? I know it’s more difficult and time consuming, but for me, nothing beats sitting down, watching the channel, watching the bumpers and experiencing the shows? Is this normal? Does anybody else like this?

The old ones are classics, like Dexter and Cow & Chicken. Some of the newer ones are also pretty good, like Regular Show and Gumball (not a fan of Adventure Time, though. I just don’t like it.)

Also, speaking of Dexter, who saw Rude Removal? I thought it was AMAZING!

Rude Removal was so awesome! I never thought we’d ever get the opportunity to see that! It reminded me how much I loved Dexter’s Laboratory. I mean, I always liked it, but I was always more into Powerpuff Girls, Courage, Cow and Chicken etc.

Cartoon Network has done a lot of buddy comedies recently. Now, I’m not criticizing, I love Adventure Time and Regular Show, but what do you all think? What kinds of shows do you want them to be making?

Of the current lineup, I love Adventure Time but need to see more of it. I’ve also barely watched Regular Show and wanna give it another shot. The animation in Gumball is really interesting and for that reason alone I’m curious to watch it—I just don’t know where since I don’t have cable :frowning:

But yes, Cartoon Network has been doing pretty well in these last couple of years, in my opinion.

I am very happy that lately CN has been playing original Looney Tunes. I like Regular Show and the new Looney Tunes show as well. Adventure Time is alright I just haven’t seen too much of it.

They could make a show about a dog that wins the lottery…

That would be an interesting show! I can actually imagine it, animation wise.

Of the people who like Cartoon Network, what do you think is the most, though I hate to use the term, under-rated show to ever air on Cartoon Network? I can think of a couple (Sheep in the Big City, Cow and Chicken), the one that instantly springs to mind is Courage. What do you all think?

Mike, Lou, & Og

CN’s been a big part of my life for a long time. Before I got into Nick, and before I got into Disney Channel, Cartoon Network was a constant fave. My brother and I have highly enjoyed watching all the Chowder, Flapjack, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, and my personal fave, Fosters’ Home For Imaginary Friends in the past. Things have changed, though, and somewhere along the way, I lost interest in CN for some reason. I’ve never actually watched Adventure Time or Regular Show or Gumball; I admit it. My brother has watched them and wants to get into them more; on the other hand, I don’t know if I’d ever get into them. Maybe I’m missing something awesome, but they honestly don’t appeal to me as much. Though I know quite a lot about these shows and their characters because DisneyCreate is filled to the brim with them, and I often embarass myself when I can recount a random factoid or quote from these shows even though I’ve never watched them! Seems like these days the only times I watch CN is to watch Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Dragons: Riders of Berk… I’m just a wee bit tied up into my love of Disney Channel… aaanndd I know you guys automatically are mad at me for that… sue me for being a super-mega Disney nerd :stuck_out_tongue:

Why would we be angry at you? :smiley:
Don’t worry, I’m a nerd for soooo many things. We all have shows other people love but we just can’t get into. For example, I don’t like gasp Phineas and Ferb! As in, I really don’t like it. I can see why other people like it, though. It’s personally just not for me.

Thanks for understanding, FoA. I’m kinda the opposite as I’ve always been a big P&F nerd. But it all depends on one’s taste, really. And like say, I haven’t even watched RS or AT, so I don’t even know for certain if I’ll like it or not! :smiley:

It’s okay!
You should definitely try RS and AT, even if you find you don’t like them.

On another note, what is everybody’s least favorite animated show that Cartoon Network’s ever shown?

I loved Cartoon Network when I was younger and watched it all the time. I certainly watched Cartoon Network more than I ever watched Nickelodeon. I loved all the old cartoons they used to show, as well as Johnny Bravo, Dexter’s Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Fosters, Billy & Mandy. Cant say I watch Cartoon Network much anymore. I kinda stopped watching after they ended Fosters and nothing they’ve done since then has interested me unfortunately.

I loved Cartoon Network as a kid. I used to watch Johnny Bravo, Dexter’s Laboratory, Animaniacs, and The Powerpuff Girls a lot, as well as some of the old Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera cartoons. I also watched Cow and Chicken, but I remember not liking that one as much as the others. I think they used to show Batman the Animated Series too, and I liked that a lot as a kid.

I watched Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends, but I kind of gave up on it after a few series. I watched some of Flapjack, but sometimes it was just a littletoo gross for me. Xiaolin Showdown was kind of cool.

Lately I watch a lot of Adventure Time, but because I live in the UK we’re only 3/4ths of the way through series 4. It’s especially annoying because they only show one new 11 minute episode a week, even though they could show two if they wanted as it always airs in half-hour blocks. I occassionally watch Regular Show, but I find it kind of hit and miss. Sometimes it’s funny, sometimes its just not for me. I’ve seen some of the Adventures of Gumball too, but it’s not really my kind of show. I do like how they mix different styles of animation together though.

Looking on Wikipedia to remind me of what they’ve shown… I always found Codename: Kid’s Next Door kind of annoying. Johnny Test was okay during it’s first series but it’s gotten really loud and obnoxious. I hate how often they show Ben 10, but that’s not really the show’s fault.

I generally don’t find bad Cartoon Network shows to be as annoying as a bad Nickelodeon or Disney show. At worst they’re mediocre.

And yeah, I recommend trying out AT and RS. They can appeal to a pretty wide age range. Personally I think AT has gotten better over time, but its early episodes are still pretty enjoyable. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a BAD episode of AT, even if there are a few episodes I probably won’t rewatch much. I think it works a lot better than some other weird cartoons because there’s kind of an internal logic to the weirdness, if that makes sense.

I agree with the AT comment. It’s not weird for no reason; there is a kind of mythology and methodology behind it.

As for my least favorite CN show, it would have to be KND. I just couldn’t get into it.

I agree about KND. I know that some people really like it, but I just never found it interesting or funny enough to be worth watching. I think I found some of the characters kind of annoying too.

I couldn’t get into The Life and Times of Juniper Lee either, but I quite like the art style. As a kid the show always reminded me of American Dragon in some respects:

1. A Chinese-American protagonist with the initials J.L. and who dyes a second colour into their hair. And has to deal with the world of magic because they have been born into a special role.
  2. A hundreds-of-years-old talking dog sidekick.
  3. A grandparent for a mentor.
  4. An annoying, opposite-sex younger sibling with some of the same powers as the protagonist.

Of course, there were lots of differences between the two shows (the settings, the magic powers, the villains), and I suppose you could write a couple of these similarities off as being popular tropes for kid’s entertainment. But at the time it stood out to me because they came out around the same time.

Cartoon Network is pro. I have a massive thing for Regular Show. I dunno. I just do. I like it as much as Donkey Kong and it is my most recent new obsession. Yay! Mordecai is adorable. Rigby too, of course. And together they’re awesomely hilarious, I love their bromance.

Adventure Time and The Amazing World of Gumball as I mentioned in another thread are also really cool.

I don’t remember much of their ‘classic’ cartoons. I remember watching Powerpuff Girls when I was little, but I don’t remember an awful lot else. I primarily watched Fox Kids, instead. But one thing I love about modern CN in my area is that they’re one of the few cartoon channels that haven’t gone over to cheesy kid-sitcoms. Yay!

I’m so glad CN hasn’t become a haven for kitschy kidcoms. There was a time when it looked like it could’ve been slipping into that territory but luckily it was just a false alarm. These shows wanna see a real sitcom? Watch an episode of Frasier and learn something. I know there not for the same audiences but still.