Disney Renaissance Era Films Classification?

Title says it all, this is a thread for listing what order you would rank the films Disney made in their Renaissance era. :slight_smile:

For me it would have to be.

1. Beauty and the Beast
  2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame/Tarzan
  3. The Rescuers Down Under
  4. Alladin
  5. Mulan
  6. The Lion King
  7. Hercules
  8. Pocahontas
  9. The Little Mermaid

So yeah, that’s my list, now let’s see everyone else’s :slight_smile:

1: Hercules
2: Beauty and the Beast
3: The Lion King
4: Tarzan
5: Hunchback of Notre Dame
6: The Little Mermaid
7: Aladdin
8: Mulan/Pocahontas

Never did see Rescuers Down Under.

The Disney Renaissance era isn’t a group of movies that one considers to be in it, but actually a part of the timeline in Animation History.

Actually many people consider the whole 1990s to be an Animation Renaissance. Which makes sense, with the rise of animated cartoon shows on television inculding from Warner Bros, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network, as well as the birth of Computer Animated Feature Films.

Animation and Film Historians consider the Disney Renaissance refers to

*The ten-year era between 1989 and 1999
*The Little Mermaid (1989), The Rescuers Down Under (1990), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Aladdin (1992), The Lion King (1994), Pocahontas (1995), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996), Hercules (1997), Mulan (1998), and Tarzan (1999).

These aren’t the films I consider to be in it, these are the films that are officially classified as a part of the era, the list can be round on various websites, as well as of course, Wikipedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Renaissance

I’d make a list, but sadly I’ve only seen 2 of the films you guys listed. Shame on me! :laughing:

GASPS :open_mouth: Shame on you indeed!

(:stuck_out_tongue: In all seriousness though, what were the two that you saw, out of curiosity?)

Yes, shame on me indeed. :laughing:
And I’ve seen Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. I like them both a lot.

Of those I have seen at least once in English:

1. Mulan (the only beef I have with this masterpiece is really the narrow aspect ratio - this film needs Cinemascope)
  2. Aladdin
    3) The Lion King
  3. The Little Mermaid
    5) Hercules
  4. The Rescuers Down Under (one heck of a sleeping pill, it is likely to remain at the bottom of this list)

Now I am really curious where Beauty and the Beast will end up on this list. I have never seen it, and I can’t wait to get it on Blu-ray.

1. the Little Mermaid
  2. Pocahontas
  3. Beauty and the Beast
  4. Hercules
  5. Mulan
  6. Aladdin
  7. the Lion King

whoa! I’m actually quite surprised by this :slight_smile:, I thought I was the only one who really enjoyed this film!
Anywho, in all honesty, these are all wonderful films, I pretty much listed them based on how many times I re-watch them xDD.

Aww, I really loved that film. I can see why it’s not everyone’s cup of tea though.

I loved or at least liked all of these films besides The Little Mermaid though, this era was definitely one of Disney’s strongest I feel.

Lordy lord, the Disney Renaissance Era is my favorite period of time ever!!! All my favorite Disney films happened in this time. <3 :`-( Your list is almost perfect. The Little Mermaid is also the only DRE film I don’t like!! You and I should talk.

1.) Beauty and the Beast
2.)Tarzan
3.)The Hunchback of Notre Dame
4.)Mulan
5.)Hercules
6.)Aladdin
7.)The Lion King
8.) Pocohantas(I barely remember it, shame on me :frowning: )
9.)Rescuers Down Under(barely remember)
10.)The Little Mermaid

I think what I like best about this era for Disney is what it felt like to be caught left-and-right with all this great media. Not only were they releasing these wonderful movies, they had Disney Channel and all those great cartoons, comics and magazines were being published, other people from outside the studio were coming along and producing movies here (like Henry Selick), and of course, home video was around so we could watch them all as much as we wanted. It was in general pretty much the best time for Disney, and such a swell era to grow up in.

I’ve changed my order a little bit, upon re-watching Pocahontas and thinking it over a bit more.

1. Beauty and the Beast
  2. The Hunchback of Notre Dame/Tarzan
  3. Pocahontas
  4. The Rescuers Down Under
  5. Aladdin
  6. Mulan
  7. The Lion King
  8. Hercules
  9. The Little Mermaid.

I like your list, Leon!! :smiley: (especially #'s 1 and 2 :wink: )

Renaissance era: 1989-1994. They basically even classify it as such in the recent documentary Waking Sleeping Beauty. I personally like Rescuers Down Under, though I know it’s often overlooked, so I wouldn’t exactly list it as a major contributor to Disney’s success during this time. They were just completely unstoppable and showed no weakness, and they were universally beloved by critics. Everything worked out perfectly: the animation, the music, the story, etc. My classification of Disney’s golden eras doesn’t usually match other people’s lists, though… But that doesn’t mean I don’t love movies that were released afterwards, such as Mulan.

My ranking:

1. The Lion King
  2. Beauty and the Beast
  3. Aladdin
  4. The Little Mermaid

They’re all in my top 10 Disney films, too.

Earlier I listed my definition of Disney Renaissance. Here’s my rankings

1. The Lion King (1994)
  2. Tarzan (1999)
  3. Aladdin (1992)
  4. Mulan (1998)
  5. Pocahontas (1995)
  6. Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
  7. Beauty and the Beast (1991)
  8. The Little Mermaid (1989)
  9. Hercules (1997)
  10. The Rescuers Down Unde (1990)

Wait, so now it ended in 1994, not 1999? I’m very confused. Everything I’ve read said it was a 10 year period. :frowning:

No, that’s just how I classify it! Sorry for the confusion. I have trouble including films that didn’t have the same overwhelming response that the films received in 1989-1994 had (The Rescuers Down Under has sort of been forgotten, to the point where it’s not even included on Wikipedia’s list?). Films like Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Hercules simply did not have the same amazing reviews. The domestic box office also has a bit of a drop-off after 1994, even if the films could still be classified as a commercial success. I don’t know, I just see a clear decline and then a little upwards trend with Mulan and Tarzan.

But! Here’s my rankings of the “official” list of movies:

1. The Lion King
  2. Beauty and the Beast
  3. Aladdin
  4. The Little Mermaid
  5. Mulan
  6. Tarzan
  7. Pocahontas
  8. The Rescuers Down Under (?)
  9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  10. Hercules

Ah, I understand now. Sorry. :blush:

No need to be sorry at all. I just have a sort of unpopular way of looking at the Disney films of the '90s.