Doc- The Fabulous Hudson Hornet

Who doesn’t love Doc? I was surprised to find he doesn’t have his own thread! I think he deserves his own thread so I made this one, simple as that. :mrgreen: Here, you can discuss anything and everything about the racing legend and “crazy old grandpa car” from his early days to his death. :nerd:

A picture snackie of pure Doc awesomeness :open_mouth:

I found it funny how him and Lightning are more alike than they’d like to admit… :laughing:

I really loved Doc Hudson in Cars. He find of felt like a father figure to McQueen in a way which was nice. In the second Cars, I thought they really didn’t do enough for his tribute and that it was too short.

I know, right?! I bet Doc was just like Lightning when he was younger and I bet Lightning’s going to be just like Doc when he gets older. And it is funny how they most likely didn’t admit it.

Lightning: What?! I am nothing like that crazy old grandpa car!

Doc: I have nothing in common with that hotshot of a rookie.

That reminds me of that scene in the movie;

Lightning:…but under the hood, you and I are the same! :smiley:

Doc: We are not the same! Now, get out! :angry:

Ballboi: I love him as a father figure and mentor to McQueen. I agree with you, they didn’t. I said something in another thread but I’ll re-post it because it’s very fitting.

That was actually in response to something you said, Ballboi! :laughing:

How do you guys think Doc died? :cry:

I was thinking old age or something like that. Not too sure how the Cars in that world would do that. Yes, Doc’s tribute kind of felt way too short to me. The only things I remember was the [spoil]little trip to Doc’s museum[/spoil] and [spoil]McQueen’s paint job of the new Piston Cup on the front of him.[/spoil] It could of definitly added some heart to the film which it lacked in Cars 2. I would have Lightning feeling upsect that Doc wasn’t with him to go around the world. It was still nice to see that Pixar at least gave Doc a little tribute.

I think the tribute was OKay.

He was awesome (mainly because he was Paul Newman), but talking a lot about what happened to him would feel a little out of place, because it was supposed to have occurred some time ago and they probably had a lot of chances to talk about it.

That’s true. There is a fie year gap, and five years is quite a while.

Exactly. It cracks me up when the characters explain something for quite a while just for the sake of audience exposition, but it wouldn’t have sense in-universe.

We should also have in mind that not everyone in the public is a fan like us and they could probably wonder why they’re talking about a character they don’t remember. So it’s best to keep it short.

Anyway, more than the museum part, I loved when Darrell mentions him and Lightning reprises his turn-around move on Japan.

On a slightly related note, there’s something I would have liked: When Mater is [spoil]having his nightmare when he remembers his more stupid actions, I would have liked to have a pair of moments from the first Cars, probably one involving Doc, like when he lets McQueen free before bounding him to Bessie.[/spoil]

I wondered how come they didn’t get a replacement for Doc Hudson like they did for Slinky and Fillmore. I guess it did make sense that they didn’t get one.

Well, with all due respect to Jim Varney and George Carlin, they weren’t Paul Newman, who was impossible to replace.

Well, they did find a Blake Clark to replace Jim Varney pretty easily since they both knew each other. I guess Pixar didn’t want to get a replacement because they thought it was appropriate to not include and would of been difficult to find someone who can replace him.

Well I think Doc’s voice would have been a hard one to imitate well. Paul Newman had a certain sound to his voice at the time which would have been hard to duplicate. And I think they made the right decision there. I will admit I’m not entirely satisfied with Fillmore’s replacement. It was alright, but something was missing and it didnt come off the same way.

I remember reading shortly before Cars 2 came out that Doc was meant to be the central figure in the sequel. I dont remember where I read it so I cant comment on how true it is. It would have been epic though. I do wonder sometimes how Doc died. I wanna rule out old age since Lizzie has a good 30-40 years on him, but then again since he was a race car and had that accident perhaps his parts had gotten worn out sooner.

I think you make a good point with Doc’s accident that was mentioned in the first Cars. At first I thought old age but I forgot about Lizzie.

Really? I don’t remember that. It must have been a very early idea, tough, since Newman was in bad health for quite a long time.

What? Fillmore had a replacement voice? And Slinky?! :shock: I didn’t even notice these. They must of been really good cause most voice replacements suck; like Lightning’s in [i:1ihd0s71]Mater’s Tall Tales[/i:1ihd0s71]. :-\

I was thinking old age too but like [b:1ihd0s71]Ballboi[/b:1ihd0s71], I forgot about Lizzie. Now that I think about it, I remember Bob mentioning at the final race in the first film, "No one has seen the racing legend in over 50 years!" That means Doc must be like at least around 70 or 80 years old. Jeez, how old is Lizzie? How is she still alive? 8D

[quote="Spirit of Adventure":1ihd0s71]there’s something I would have liked: When Mater is [spoil:1ihd0s71]having his nightmare when he remembers his more stupid actions, I would have liked to have a pair of moments from the first [i:1ihd0s71]Cars[/i:1ihd0s71], probably one involving Doc, like when he lets McQueen free before bounding him to Bessie.[/spoil:1ihd0s71][/quote:1ihd0s71]

That would of been really cool! I like when they do those types of things in sequels to kind of take you back to the first one.

I, like many fans, would of [i:1ihd0s71]loved[/i:1ihd0s71] to see Doc in the second movie so much but I would be angry if they just found a replacement for Paul Newman and moved on. It’s a lose/lose situation. It was a matter of respect and ultimately, I think Pixar did the right thing. I don’t think anybody could replace his voice or that anybody would want to! I know I would feel extremely awkward imitating Paul Newman’s voice for a character like Doc.

[quote="Spirit of Adventure":1ihd0s71]since Newman was in bad health for quite a long time.[/quote:1ihd0s71]

He was, I kind of thought he was going to pass soon with his lung cancer and all but not so quickly. :cry:

Yes, the original actors died.

Lizzie is about 100 years old, as she’s a Model T. It’s not an uncanny age, and much less for a car, because there are some vehicles from that time that are still working in real life.

In the first Cars, Doc is only about 55 years, if they took the original date of a Hudson Hornet. He was about 80 if they made him the age of Paul Newman.

I think the voice actor for Red passed away to. That’s probably why he didn’t speak in Cars 2.

I remember I had discussed the model vs. age thing with some other members like a while ago. Your post just reminded me of it. It’s so weird; like Sally for example (because she’s the easiest one), she’s a 2002 Porsche 911 Carrera. If she was really born in 2002, she’d be 4 years old in the first Cars. :open_mouth: Or like how the Hudson Hornet is 55 years old but it was mentioned that nobody hadn’t seen Doc in over 50 years. That always bothered me, like how is that supposed to work? :confused: I remember Tow Mater and I joked that they must age somewhat like dogs; “X” amount of human years= 1 car year. 8D

Yeah, he did. His name was Joe Ranft (I wonder how you say that). Not that Red did much talking in the first one anyway. :wink: I like how he cried when Lightning and the team was leaving, though- It reminded me of the first one when he cried like three times. 8D

Ah yeah, I remember Joe Ranft now. These car years defnitly feel stange especially if Sally’s age is true.

Ranft wasn’t only the voice actor for Red. He was one of the most important people at Pixar.