Favorite Movie

Oh, since we’re on the subject of favorite historical fiction movies, I love National Treasure, but if you showed my history professor any history movies, she’ll start ranting like you wouldn’t believe.

My piano teacher just recommended that I see Amaedeus this morning! I’m told it has a depressing ending…

Well, sometimes people mistake realistic and truthful for depressing. :stuck_out_tongue: I’d rather watch a sad true movie, than a happy crock of cr@p. 8D

That’s true. What’s always awkward are those “For Kids” versions of really tragic stories; it feels like such a lie! 8D

Yep. But I must admit, I love all Disney movies(except Chicken Little.) I can even say nice things about Ariel when I want to. I like them anyway. I’m a terrible person!!! 8D

Pardon me asking, but what’s wrong with Ariel?

Aw, man, this is the third thread, and the 15th time! 8D And the 2nd time today. But okay. Just don’t flame me afterward.

I don’t like anything about TLM, except Ariel’s physical appearance, and the movie’s music. I dislike how Ariel treats her father, I dislike her personality, I dislike her sisters, Sebastian bugs me, and Eric is not worth being so rude to her father! It’s Tangled backwards; Ariel abuses her father’s trust and feelings. I dislike the movie’s message(something which usually makes or breaks a movie for me), and the protagonist is not very sympathetic to me. Part of me does love her, though. I just wish she was more selfless and less full-of-it. :confused:

Well, we must understand that Ariel is at that teenaged age where she wants to be independent, but her father can’t let go of her.

Sometimes they turn tragedies into ADULT films with happy endings.
(cue Little Shop of Horrors rant)

Anyway, if we’re going to list movies by genre, musical should be included. Musicals are so underrated.

Yep, calling Pocahontas a historical fiction is a bit of a stretch. I don’t even consider her ‘based on a real girl" (Disney just convinced themselves they did). The two technically had different names. Pocahontas’ wasn’t her Christian or birth name.

This is true, but won’t make me like the movie any more or less. That’s just my opinion, and it’s not going to change unless one day I watch the movie, and discover I like or sympathize with Ariel(not likely). All I did was answer your question as to why I dislike Ariel. Her personality is correctly portrayed as to John Musker and Ron Clements’ liking, and that’s okay. It’s fine; the movie has a very large fan base. I just don’t particularly like the movie.

And wanting to be independent is not an excuse to treat your only family that way. And, I don’t care what anyone says, 16 is not old enough to be “independent” and Triton shouldn’t let go. It is a movie, but we all know what happens to real teenagers when their parental units let go. :confused:

By the way, I added movie musical to my list, TCM. :smiley:

I think my favorite musical movie (not the disney ones) is either hello dolly, rent, or Hairspray.

Time to do this category thing, like you guys.

Comedy: Team America: World Police
Drama: WALL-E
Musical: The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-Long-Blog
Tragicomedy: The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-Long Blog

Musical and tragicomedy go together well, because the last thing you expect to turn tragic is a musical. And neither RHPS or DHSAB can measure to Little Shop of Horrors (the play), my favorite thing in the whole world.

Superhero: Megamind
Spy: Cars 2 (WHATDOYOUMEANITHASNTCOMEOUTYETIHATEYOU)
So-Bad-It’s-Good: The Room
Classic: Planet of The Apes
Independent: Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-Long Blog YET AGAIN
Comedy-Drama (that’s NOT a tragicomedy): Up
Action: I hate action.
Animated Fairy Tale: Beauty and The Beast
Live-action mixed with animation: Who Framed Roger Rabbit!

Did I miss any genres?

You didn’t answer me. I thought we were having a discussion. And then, as always, the second I say something you don’t like, you ditch it.

Look, i don’t want to fight IV. But I wasn’t ditching you’re conversation. We were having a discussion, and you posted your thought. I respected it, but there was no indication that I said that I didn’t like it. I just wanted to start a new conversation by posting my favorite musical movie. No need to get defensive about it. :confused:

Then what is ‘Pocahontas’? A made-up name by Disney? :neutral_face: I’m curious to know more about the real Pocahontas (or whatever her name is). On a lighter note, I remember this bad joke by John Lasseter back when he was a tour guide on the River Cruise in Disneyland… :wink:

IV, if you like Nicholas Cage, I highly, highly recommend The Rock and Face/Off, two of his greatest action movies in the 90s. Gone in 60 Seconds, Con Air and G-Force ain’t bad either. I plan to watch ‘The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call- New Orleans’ and ‘The Sorcerer’s Apprentice’ next chance I get. :wink:

Comedy: Austin Powers 1 & 2
Romance: Wall-E
Sci-Fi: The Fifth Element
Fantasy: Lord of the Rings, How to Train Your Dragon, Legend of the Guardians
Drama: The Lion King, Saving Private Ryan, Ratatouille
Superhero: The Dark Knight, Spiderman 2, The Incredibles
Western: Rango (although I plan to check the Sergio Leone trilogy in the future)
Historical Fiction: Pocahontas, Gladiator
Biographical: A Beautiful Mind
Horror: The Sixth Sense
Martial arts: New Police Story, Kung Fu Panda
Action: Speed, Die Hard, The Rock
Movie musical: The Princess and the Frog, Hello Dolly, Happy Feet (if it counts?)

I like Con-Air and The Rock, but I didn’t care for G-Force. I need to check on Bad Leutinant and Face-Off, though. Thanks for the suggestions. :smiley:

Oh, and I love The Fifth Element. My mom hates it and mocks me, though. I hate talking to her about movies. She hates animation, musicals, sci-fi…yeah. I just hate her taste in film period.

Oh? :slight_smile: May we hear it?

Comedy: For strictly comedy, I’ll say Elf
Romance: WALL-E
Sci-Fi: ^
Fantasy: Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, How to Train Your Dragon
Drama: Grave of the Fireflies, The Boy in Striped Pajamas, The Wall
Superhero: The Incredibles
Western: Not sure that I’ve seen any Western movies?
Historical Fiction: Pocahontas
Biographical: Like Western, none come to mind.
Horror: Coraline
Martial arts: Karate Kid
Action: The Incredibles
Movie musical: Dumbo, The Nightmare Before Christmas, James & the Giant Peach

Her name was Mataoaka, and when she was Christinized it was Rebecca. Pocahontas was only a nickname, but it was the one that fell in the History books.

And what was the River Cruise joke?

If I may copy somethingguy912 and do genres.

Comedy - Ferris Bueller’s day off (not a fan of comedys though)
Romance - Grease (if that counts as one), if not then Wall E
Sci Fi - The Terminator
Christmas - Home Alone
Drama - One flew over the Cuckoos nest

Adding some more,
Action - Zulu
Animation - Toy Story